Potential veteran QBs available next year

If EJ doesn't work out this year, the window on "win now" will be closing even faster before our impressive offensive talent drains. Drafting a rookie QB with the required learning curve may not be the answer, especially since we have no 1st round pick. On the other hand, after dumping Stevie's contract and eating the dead money this season, Bills will be in great cap shape next year to sign a high priced FA QB or assume an existing large contract via trade.

So what top shelf vet QB's could possibly be available?

MY TOP 10

1. Tom Brady: don't laugh, he'll be 38. If his skills start diminishing (and there's clues that's already happening) and Garoppolo looks ready, I could see the cold and calculating Pats look to unload him. Just like they did with Bledsoe, on us too.

2. Eli Manning: played horrible last year, and raised a lot of questions about his skills. They spent a lot in the off season and draft replenishing the line and WR-corp, another terrible year and this time with no excuses, and in all likelihood he's gone.

3. Sam Bradford: how long can Rams possibly say "he's their guy" when "he's not having success" on the field? "Fresh start somewhere else" pundits will be saying what's needed.

4. Andy Dalton: miss the playoffs or another one-and-done, and he's done. AJ McCarron was drafted for this scenario.

5. Alex Smith: contract extension talks not going well in KC. He has the stigma of not being able to get you to the promised land, however you can at least win some playoff games. That may be enough to satisfy the playoff hungry Bills. Somehow this team and Smith seem destined for each other.

6. Matt Stafford: Schwartz is no longer there to protect him if Lions come up short again. He's right here in Buffalo ready for a reunion.

7. Tony Romo: pressure will be high in Big "D" if they miss playoffs again. I could see them looking to clean house, starting with Romo and his huge salary.

8, 9 & 10: Carson Palmer, Michael Vick and Matt Schaub all seem to be on the 1- to 2-year plan with their teams. Odds are at least one if not all three will be on the market again.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ doesn't work out this year, the window on "win now" will be closing even faster before our impressive offensive talent drains. Drafting a rookie QB with the required learning curve may not be the answer, especially since we have no 1st round pick. On the other hand, after dumping Stevie's contract and eating the dead money this season, Bills will be in great cap shape next year to sign a high priced FA QB or assume an existing large contract via trade.

MY TOP 10

1. Tom Brady: don't laugh, he'll be 38. If his skill start diminishing (and there's clues that's already happening) and Garoppolo looks ready, I could see the cold and calculating Pats look to unload him. Just like they did with Bledsoe, on us too.

2. Eli Manning: played horrible last year, and raised a lot of questions about his skills. They spent a lot in the off season and draft, replenishing the line and WR-corp, another terrible year and this time with no excuses, and in all likelihood he's gone.

3. Sam Bradford: how long can Rams possibly say "he's their guy" when "he's not having success" on the field?

4. Andy Dalton: miss the playoffs or another one-and-done, and he's done. AJ McCarron was drafted for this scenario.

5. Alex Smith: contract extension talks not going well in KC. He has the stigma of not being able to get you to the promised land, however you can at least win some playoff games. That may be enough to satisfy the playoff hungry Bills. Somehow this team and Smith seem destined for each other.

6. Matt Schaub: Schwartz is no longer there to protect him if Lions come up short again. He's right here in Buffalo ready for a reunion. You mean Stafford?

7. Tony Romo: pressure will be high in Big "D" if they miss playoffs again. I could see them looking to clean house, starting with Romo and his huge salary.

8, 9 & 10: Carson Palmer, Michael Vick and Matt Schaub all seem to be one the 1- to 2-year plan with their teams. Odds are at least one if not all 3 will be on the market again.

Obviously would take Brady or Manning but that ain't happening, So I would go with Alex Smith or Dalton as we groom Christian Hackenberg in 2016.

Dude no one wants to see that in your avatar.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I think Eli is actually pretty likely. His play was horrible last year, there are questions about his injury issues and Tom Coughlin will be retiring if the Giants slump this season. A new Head Coach might want a shiny new toy, especially if they are picking in the top 5 or 6 next April / May.

Bradford I don't want to touch - I'd prefer to ride EJ for another year. Alex Smith is a steady game managing veteran who I think KC probably get the contract done with, but if they don't I'd only consider him if I really felt it was just the QB that was missing from a play-off team. He isn't the kind of QB who can hide your other deficienies.

Brady, Dalton, Stafford and Romo will all still be on their teams in 2015 I have little doubt and as for your 8, 9 & 10? No thanks.

EDIT: And let me say first I hope and honestly believe EJ will show improvement sufficient to render the question null and void.

Edited by GunnerBill

So I would go with Alex Smith or Dalton as we groom Christian Hackenberg in 2016.

:sick::doh:

I know you're not the first guy to be guilty of Hackenberging his Talleywhacker but do you really have to do it out in the open?

I think EJ can get it done. If not, I can see Tuel making progress. It was always know that he'd be a project. Of the list I think Alex Smith would be the only one on there with a realistic chance of both being available and having a chance at success.

Edited by 4merper4mer

If EJ has a real poor year, more than likely they'll blame it on coaching (and could be correct) fire the OC and bring in another one and give EJ at least one more year. You don't give up on a #1 draft pick after two years. He would have to have and absolutely horrible season to do that.

How can a Bills fan even consider Brady in a Bills uniform? Blasphemy! I'd rather have Michael Sam.

I'm all for signing Brady. Let's sign him and use him as a tackling dummy at practice. Then tape him to the goal post and let every fan have 1 good kick. Then cut him in favor of Jeff Tuel

Let's skip this season and go straight to 2015. :wallbash:

This. I enjoyed the draft and will enjoy training camp, the pre-season and the regular season, savoring every moment, both good and bad. Next year is for next year.

MY TOP 10

1. Tom Brady: don't laugh, he'll be 38. If his skills start diminishing (and there's clues that's already happening) and Garoppolo looks ready, I could see the cold and calculating Pats look to unload him. Just like they did with Bledsoe, on us too.

2. Eli Manning: played horrible last year, and raised a lot of questions about his skills. They spent a lot in the off season and draft replenishing the line and WR-corp, another terrible year and this time with no excuses, and in all likelihood he's gone.

3. Sam Bradford: how long can Rams possibly say "he's their guy" when "he's not having success" on the field? "Fresh start somewhere else" pundits will be saying what's needed.

6. Matt Stafford: Schwartz is no longer there to protect him if Lions come up short again. He's right here in Buffalo ready for a reunion.

8, 9 & 10: Carson Palmer, Michael Vick and Matt Schaub all seem to be on the 1- to 2-year plan with their teams. Odds are at least one if not all three will be on the market again.

Of those you mentioned, Bradford, Smith and an outside chance of Dalton would be my picks based on potential and based on the fact that except for Dalton, both Smith and Bradford would merely be holding a spot for the next Franchise QB....allllll of that said and out of the way, based on the BILLS trading their 2015 1st Round pick, I too believe the BILLS are all in on EJ for at least the 2014 & 2015 season, if he stays reasonably healthy. If he gets seriously injured or he is abysmal in his games this year, then maybe the BILLS do something like what you posted, otherwise, I don't see anyone of worth or value donning the BILLS QB position until 2016, but here's to seriously hoping that NEVER becomes an issue, until EJ's HOF career is over with so...13 more years??

Obviously would take Brady or Manning but that ain't happening, So I would go with Alex Smith or Dalton as we groom Christian Hackenberg in 2016.

Dude no one wants to see that in your avatar.

To your second statement, I can't say that I'm a super champion of gay rights or anything of that nature, but in today's modern society, I'm pretty much your statement has no place given that many posters on this board have pictures of women, sometimes visually appealing women, in their avatar. So, why even make a statement such as that? It's his avatar, let it be...you don't like it? Don't pay attention to it and leave it alone. You have every right to NOT like it, but I'm pretty sure you have no right to insist someone else change their avatar based on your personal beliefs, politics, religion, etc. Just a thought for social tolerance.

Isn't it a bit early for this kind of thread??? EJ has played 10 games in the NFL and so many want to give up on him already. He may not be Peyton Manning but he's certainly not Jamarcus Russell. It's possible he could develop into a Big Ben type player and I'd be happy with that. Why talk about signing some other team's castoff at this point? If EJ totally sucks it up, shows no sign of improvement and we're out of it by Halloween, then I could understand but sheesh. :wallbash:

Sam Bradford

plays in an absolute brutal division (SEA, SF & AZ)

ranked 11th in passer rating last season.

in his prime, currently age 26.

I doubt he becomes available, but if he did, he is an answer.

This.

Bradford has never been given the right weapons. He had everything you want in a QB coming out of college. Rams have done a poor job developing him. Not saying Buffalo would have done better.

Having said above, Bills are with EJ for two more seasons. Unless his knees become an issue again this season. I could then see a change