Miller and Kirwin On The Draft (don't shoot the messenger)

I heard them talking about how the top 10 picks will play out. They agreed that QBs and OTs would be taken early. Kirwin said that the Bills will draft Lewan. Miller didn't disagree, and said that if they do, they will place him at LT and move Cordy Glenn to guard. They said that this would give them a great left side (I am paraphrasing but this WAS the strong message).

I am not going to condone this move, nor will I summarily dismiss it. One thing that could prevent it imo is that Glenn would certainly not like this, and the Bills seem to be stuck in the mode of making sure that their players are content and loving life ala Byrd.

I will admit the following: if this plays out and Lewan is a bruising, strong LT, I can picture Spiller running all day. Yes, I said this :). And Fred, along with another big back would also benefit.

Once again, this is not my suggestion. It's something I heard on the radio but it did pique my interest.

Thoughts?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

:wallbash:

I really have no problem with Lewan...But if the Bills Draft him he's playing RT...

I generally respect Kirwin...But some of these guys just don't follow the team enough, or do enough study on Glenn specifically to understand the Bills are not going to move a top 10 NFL LT who is still young and improving inside to OG...Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT...I just don't know where this crap comes from...Especially when you talk about bringing in a totally unproven Rookie to replace him at LT...Why? They already have a LT...It's not like when they Drafted Cordy...Because they actually needed a LT then...They have one now...They have a good one...Why mess with it? B-)

I heard them talking about how the top 10 picks will play out. They agreed that QBs and OTs would be taken early. Kirwin said that the Bills will draft Lewan. Miller didn't disagree, and said that if they do, they will place him at LT and move Cordy Glenn to guard. They said that this would give them a great left side (I am paraphrasing but this WAS the strong message).

I am not going to condone this move, nor will I summarily dismiss it. One thing that could prevent it imo is that Glenn would certainly not like this, and the Bills seem to be stuck in the mode of making sure that their players are content and loving life ala Byrd.

I will admit the following: if this plays out and Lewan is a bruising, strong LT, I can picture Spiller running all day. Yes, I said this :). And Fred, along with another big back would also benefit.

Once again, this is not my suggestion. It's something I heard on the radio but it did pique my interest.

Thoughts?

I am dismissing this nonsense. Glenn is an elite young LT. He will not be moved!! The line needs help but they are not moving a young LT thy graded out as a +23 on PFF. Cordy is the LT and RT and LG will be filled. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT.

Again, it's not something that I am pushing for, but I must say that ringing endorsements are not to be trusted this time of year, if ever. Also I'm sorry, but I am really not impressed by Marrone. There, I said it. He has an OL background, and look at the disaster at LG last year.

OL was to be his forte and he fell WAY short. There is no phase of coaching that he seemed to particularly excel at, and his clock management was flat out awful imo.

It was his first try; I get this. Hopefully he gets better at his job.

Again, it's not something that I am pushing for, but I must say that ringing endorsements are not to be trusted this time of year, if ever. Also I'm sorry, but I am really not impressed by Marrone. There, I said it. He has an OL background, and look at the disaster at LG last year.

OL was to be his forte and he fell WAY short. There is no phase of coaching that he seemed to particularly excel at, and his clock management was flat out awful imo.

It was his first try; I get this. Hopefully he gets better at his job.

Believe me when I tell you Bill I'm not a huge Marrone guy either...

But in this case not only do I think he's right in praising Glenn, but I also think he was sincere... B-)

I really have no problem with Lewan...But if the Bills Draft him he's playing RT...

I generally respect Kirwin...But some of these guys just don't follow the team enough, or do enough study on Glenn specifically to understand the Bills are not going to move a top 10 NFL LT who is still young and improving inside to OG...Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT...I just don't know where this crap comes from...Especially when you talk about bringing in a totally unproven Rookie to replace him at LT...Why? They already have a LT...It's not like when they Drafted Cordy...Because they actually needed a LT then...They have one now...They have a good one...Why mess with it? B-)

They may as well move Glenn inside. It's time to start preparing our new LT for when Glenn leaves in free agency.

I am waiting to hear more from Gil Brandt, but Kirwan and Miller are tops in my book. Thanks for posting this.

Its going to be touchy and could backfire greatly. To move what was a top half, maybe even top 8 LT to a new position. If Lewan doesn't cut it the risk of moving Glenn back outside? Or if Lewan gets hurt and we assume Glenn goes back to LT? Do we still need a LG?

I am not opposed to it. I am not upset about it. But, I am not happy about it. I do not know what pick would make me happy this year in the first, a WR maybe? I'd be slightly cheerful to find Ebron later in the 1st.

I think a lot of these guys keep talking about how Glenn would be great at RT or LG, and that's because it's true. They talked about it before the last draft too. Thing is, we now have two seasons worth of tape to show us that he is on his way to being top 5 at LT. We could move him and he'd be doing just as well, but LT is the most important position on the line, so why change it?

I am waiting to hear more from Gil Brandt, but Kirwan and Miller are tops in my book. Thanks for posting this.

Its going to be touchy and could backfire greatly. To move what was a top half, maybe even top 8 LT to a new position. If Lewan doesn't cut it the risk of moving Glenn back outside? Or if Lewan gets hurt and we assume Glenn goes back to LT? Do we still need a LG?

I am not opposed to it. I am not upset about it. But, I am not happy about it. I do not know what pick would make me happy this year in the first, a WR maybe? I'd be slightly cheerful to find Ebron later in the 1st.

It is interesting...

Listening to Whaley today...not to say that he was giving anything away...but it certainly seemed like bringing in a big target for EJ was a top priority...There will be that opportunity at #9 for sure...Ebron or Evans...Maybe in a small trade down...But you can't go too far down if you want one of them... B-)

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^!

I think we will end up with one of these guys at #9: Jake Matthews, Khalil Mack, Sammy Watson, or Mike Evans. I would be happy with any of these.

not after Mack's 40 today; he ran a 4.53.

Glenn being a proven player at the LT position & having a year in the offense i don't personally see it happening , especially when they have said the weak link in our O line is RT & LG .

I can't see putting a rookie into such a important position unless this guys play just dwarfs Glenns play . I can see them taking Lewan & then in the later rounds taking a guy like the kid from Notre Dame if he is still there .

It has been said that this year is very deep in a lot of positions & O line is one of them . Plus you can never tell what this FO is thinking , the minute you think you have a handle on it they go & do something completely off the track .

People continue to suggest the Bills will/should move Glenn to guard simply bc the Bills have a hole at guard and he played there in college but anyone that has watched him play can clearly see that he is a very good tackle.

In saying that I'm all for taking a tackle at 9 but if Glenn is moving anywhere its to RT

I am not as high on Lewan though as I am on Robinson or Matthews and I'd really hate to take the third best tackle in the draft with the 9th pick

Edited by Max997

Thoughts?

I tend to trust the thoughts of Pat Kirwin more than that of fans. He is a former AFC East GM who knows a lot about the Bills. I frequently listen to Moving the Chains but haven't heard any discussio on Byrd. Does anyone know his thoughts on the Bills decision not to use the Franchise tag on him.

I tend to trust the thoughts of Pat Kirwin more than that of fans. He is a former AFC East GM who knows a lot about the Bills. I frequently listen to Moving the Chains but haven't heard any discussio on Byrd. Does anyone know his thoughts on the Bills decision not to use the Franchise tag on him.

Yup he said the Bills should have tagged Byrd moved him to RG and Cordy to RT! JK

I would let Glenn play his preferred position if the Bills draft Lewan. He deserves LT pay if he switches to G though. Still better to draft or free agent RT.

Edited by ALF

The Bills are not moving Glenn. It's a non-starter. They will not move him from LT and they will pay him when it comes to negotiation time. Whaley has been clear about what he sees as the corner stone positions to bulding a top NFL football team. One of them is left tackle.

Moving Glenn is a very silly idea. Right offensive tackles and left guards can be found in the second round and the 2014 draft is deep. This would be a year to trade down to the mid teens to twenties, draft the best LB / TE / CB we can there and get two OL's in the second round. If you allow me to spend the Bills money, I would jump on Reif from New Orleans. He was getting over $2M a year and grades out as on of the (if not) the best ROT. If we take $4M from letting the bird fly, and sign him to a 3-4 year contract, that is one hole fixed before the draft.

I think their comments were at best ignorant and at worst stupid. To say the Bills are going to use the 9th overall pick to draft a LT only to immediately move Glenn to LG is ridiculous. That would equate to (at least in the short term) weakening our LT position and filling the hole at LG. That's what they think we should achieve with the ninth overall pick. That just goes to show you how little the national care to know about teams like the Bills.

I think it's reasonable to use the ninth pick on a stud right tackle, but not a guard or to fill a guard spot. Safety or tight end would also be good. I could see wide receiver as well. There are far more obvious ways they could've gone.

1) Bill are you sure this was a super sexy dream you were having? This would be like heaven for you. :)

2) I struggle to see how Lewan is a better LT prospect than Glenn currently is. He was not that impressive when I watched Michigan.

3) If I was Glenn's agents, I would raise holy hell if this happen. Because of the NFL's stupid tagging system/ FAcy, this move would cost Glenn a ton of money. He would not be a happy camper.

4) The odds are a tackle in the 3rd round or later will be as good if not better than at least one of the 1st round tackles. Happens every year.

3) If I was Glenn's agents, I would raise holy hell if this happen. Because of the NFL's stupid tagging system/ FAcy, this move would cost Glenn a ton of money. He would not be a happy camper.

+

I think that the tag is the same for tackles and guards but yes, it could conceivably cost Glenn some money in free agency. This however isn't so high on my list of concerns should the situation arise.

And btw this is an interesting scenario, but not one that I expect to happen.

I just don't see how this possibly could be a good move. You take the 3rd best Tackle in draft (someone who hasn't proved anything) and replace someone who has already proved he can preform in the top 10 in the league at LT. All because you see a hole at LG? Wouldn't the smarter move be to draft the BPA, which IMO Lewan wouldn't be at #9 with a run on QB's, and then draft a Guard in round 2 or 3?

+

I think that the tag is the same for tackles and guards but yes, it could conceivably cost Glenn some money in free agency. This however isn't so high on my list of concerns should the situation arise.

And btw this is an interesting scenario, but not one that I expect to happen.

It should be Bill. Why upset a good LT for a guy who had struggles in the Big 10? Part of the issue with Peters is the Bills gave him a new deal after he became a RT. Well he got switched to LT and thus wanted more money. If I was Glenn and they moved me from LT to G, I'd be pissed.

I just don't see how this possibly could be a good move. You take the 3rd best Tackle in draft (someone who hasn't proved anything) and replace someone who has already proved he can preform in the top 10 in the league at LT. All because you see a hole at LG? Wouldn't the smarter move be to draft the BPA, which IMO Lewan wouldn't be at #9 with a run on QB's, and then draft a Guard in round 2 or 3?

This x 1,000

I don't see Glenn moving to the inside. I could see them moving him to RT if they feel that's appropriate... but why take Glenn away from LT when he's performed well? That makes no sense to me.

Moving him to RT doesn't make sense either. He is a really good, young LT that the Bills are fortunate to have. Sign a RT in free agency (Strief or Collins) and draft a LG in the 2nd - 3rd (Su'A-Filo, Richardson or Jackson). It doesn't seem that complicated to me. There is little to no chance that Glenn starts at any position other than LT.

Lewan is not a pick you take at #9. His play was inconsistent, is listed as a bust candidate, and I really don't think he is better than someone you could get in the 2nd round like Moses from UVA. If we trade down in the first round and take him then, and get extra picks this would be okay.

This exactly!!!!! And there are good guards and tackles in the 2nd and 3rd round.

It should be Bill. Why upset a good LT for a guy who had struggles in the Big 10? Part of the issue with Peters is the Bills gave him a new deal after he became a RT. Well he got switched to LT and thus wanted more money. If I was Glenn and they moved me from LT to G, I'd be pissed.

Nah. The Bills worry too much about soothing the hurt feelings of multi-millionaires, this while losing football games. I want what is best for the team in terms of actully getting to the playoffs. How Glenn feels is of little consequence to me.

Nah. The Bills worry too much about soothing the hurt feelings of multi-millionaires, this while losing football games. I want what is best for the team in terms of actully getting to the playoffs. How Glenn feels is of little consequence to me.

They could always put a mini-fridge in his locker.

I don't see Glenn moving to the inside. I could see them moving him to RT if they feel that's appropriate... but why take Glenn away from LT when he's performed well? That makes no sense to me.

I could see it happening. During the '09 off-season they traded Peters before draft day, moved Langston Walker from RT to LT, Brad Butler from RG to RT, drafted Wood and Levitre, cut Walker, started Bell. The only constant was Hangartner.

It's never occurred to you that someone who's happier at his workplace might be more motivated and perform better at his job? Or that if management forces a highly unpleasant and unwelcome change in his role on him, that might result in a drop in performance? If that happens at McDonald's, they just fire the disgruntled employee and just hire someone from the vast pool of candidates. If that happens on an NFL team, they don't really have the option to replace Glenn with an equivalent player.