Miller and Kirwin On The Draft (don't shoot the messenger)

I heard them talking about how the top 10 picks will play out. They agreed that QBs and OTs would be taken early. Kirwin said that the Bills will draft Lewan. Miller didn't disagree, and said that if they do, they will place him at LT and move Cordy Glenn to guard. They said that this would give them a great left side (I am paraphrasing but this WAS the strong message).

I am not going to condone this move, nor will I summarily dismiss it. One thing that could prevent it imo is that Glenn would certainly not like this, and the Bills seem to be stuck in the mode of making sure that their players are content and loving life ala Byrd.

I will admit the following: if this plays out and Lewan is a bruising, strong LT, I can picture Spiller running all day. Yes, I said this :). And Fred, along with another big back would also benefit.

Once again, this is not my suggestion. It's something I heard on the radio but it did pique my interest.

Thoughts?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:wallbash:

I really have no problem with Lewan...But if the Bills Draft him he's playing RT...

I generally respect Kirwin...But some of these guys just don't follow the team enough, or do enough study on Glenn specifically to understand the Bills are not going to move a top 10 NFL LT who is still young and improving inside to OG...Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT...I just don't know where this crap comes from...Especially when you talk about bringing in a totally unproven Rookie to replace him at LT...Why? They already have a LT...It's not like when they Drafted Cordy...Because they actually needed a LT then...They have one now...They have a good one...Why mess with it? B-)

I heard them talking about how the top 10 picks will play out. They agreed that QBs and OTs would be taken early. Kirwin said that the Bills will draft Lewan. Miller didn't disagree, and said that if they do, they will place him at LT and move Cordy Glenn to guard. They said that this would give them a great left side (I am paraphrasing but this WAS the strong message).

I am not going to condone this move, nor will I summarily dismiss it. One thing that could prevent it imo is that Glenn would certainly not like this, and the Bills seem to be stuck in the mode of making sure that their players are content and loving life ala Byrd.

I will admit the following: if this plays out and Lewan is a bruising, strong LT, I can picture Spiller running all day. Yes, I said this :). And Fred, along with another big back would also benefit.

Once again, this is not my suggestion. It's something I heard on the radio but it did pique my interest.

Thoughts?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am dismissing this nonsense. Glenn is an elite young LT. He will not be moved!! The line needs help but they are not moving a young LT thy graded out as a +23 on PFF. Cordy is the LT and RT and LG will be filled. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT.

Again, it's not something that I am pushing for, but I must say that ringing endorsements are not to be trusted this time of year, if ever. Also I'm sorry, but I am really not impressed by Marrone. There, I said it. He has an OL background, and look at the disaster at LG last year.

OL was to be his forte and he fell WAY short. There is no phase of coaching that he seemed to particularly excel at, and his clock management was flat out awful imo.

It was his first try; I get this. Hopefully he gets better at his job.

Again, it's not something that I am pushing for, but I must say that ringing endorsements are not to be trusted this time of year, if ever. Also I'm sorry, but I am really not impressed by Marrone. There, I said it. He has an OL background, and look at the disaster at LG last year.

OL was to be his forte and he fell WAY short. There is no phase of coaching that he seemed to particularly excel at, and his clock management was flat out awful imo.

It was his first try; I get this. Hopefully he gets better at his job.

Believe me when I tell you Bill I'm not a huge Marrone guy either...

But in this case not only do I think he's right in praising Glenn, but I also think he was sincere... B-)

I really have no problem with Lewan...But if the Bills Draft him he's playing RT...

I generally respect Kirwin...But some of these guys just don't follow the team enough, or do enough study on Glenn specifically to understand the Bills are not going to move a top 10 NFL LT who is still young and improving inside to OG...Marrone heaped a ton of praise on Cordy recently...He seems to love the kid at LT...I just don't know where this crap comes from...Especially when you talk about bringing in a totally unproven Rookie to replace him at LT...Why? They already have a LT...It's not like when they Drafted Cordy...Because they actually needed a LT then...They have one now...They have a good one...Why mess with it? B-)

They may as well move Glenn inside. It's time to start preparing our new LT for when Glenn leaves in free agency.

I am waiting to hear more from Gil Brandt, but Kirwan and Miller are tops in my book. Thanks for posting this.

Its going to be touchy and could backfire greatly. To move what was a top half, maybe even top 8 LT to a new position. If Lewan doesn't cut it the risk of moving Glenn back outside? Or if Lewan gets hurt and we assume Glenn goes back to LT? Do we still need a LG?

I am not opposed to it. I am not upset about it. But, I am not happy about it. I do not know what pick would make me happy this year in the first, a WR maybe? I'd be slightly cheerful to find Ebron later in the 1st.

I think a lot of these guys keep talking about how Glenn would be great at RT or LG, and that's because it's true. They talked about it before the last draft too. Thing is, we now have two seasons worth of tape to show us that he is on his way to being top 5 at LT. We could move him and he'd be doing just as well, but LT is the most important position on the line, so why change it?

I am waiting to hear more from Gil Brandt, but Kirwan and Miller are tops in my book. Thanks for posting this.

Its going to be touchy and could backfire greatly. To move what was a top half, maybe even top 8 LT to a new position. If Lewan doesn't cut it the risk of moving Glenn back outside? Or if Lewan gets hurt and we assume Glenn goes back to LT? Do we still need a LG?

I am not opposed to it. I am not upset about it. But, I am not happy about it. I do not know what pick would make me happy this year in the first, a WR maybe? I'd be slightly cheerful to find Ebron later in the 1st.

It is interesting...

Listening to Whaley today...not to say that he was giving anything away...but it certainly seemed like bringing in a big target for EJ was a top priority...There will be that opportunity at #9 for sure...Ebron or Evans...Maybe in a small trade down...But you can't go too far down if you want one of them... B-)

I agree with this ^^^^^^^^^!

I think we will end up with one of these guys at #9: Jake Matthews, Khalil Mack, Sammy Watson, or Mike Evans. I would be happy with any of these.

not after Mack's 40 today; he ran a 4.53.

Glenn being a proven player at the LT position & having a year in the offense i don't personally see it happening , especially when they have said the weak link in our O line is RT & LG .

I can't see putting a rookie into such a important position unless this guys play just dwarfs Glenns play . I can see them taking Lewan & then in the later rounds taking a guy like the kid from Notre Dame if he is still there .

It has been said that this year is very deep in a lot of positions & O line is one of them . Plus you can never tell what this FO is thinking , the minute you think you have a handle on it they go & do something completely off the track .

People continue to suggest the Bills will/should move Glenn to guard simply bc the Bills have a hole at guard and he played there in college but anyone that has watched him play can clearly see that he is a very good tackle.

In saying that I'm all for taking a tackle at 9 but if Glenn is moving anywhere its to RT

I am not as high on Lewan though as I am on Robinson or Matthews and I'd really hate to take the third best tackle in the draft with the 9th pick

Edited by Max997