Andre Reed Elected into the Pro Football HOF

@WFAN660

Michael Strahan, Andre Reed, Aeneas Williams, Derrick Brooks, Walter Jones, Ray Guy are Claude Humphrey the 2014 Pro Football #HOF class.

reed-hof-email.jpg

Michael Strahan, Brooks lead 2014 Hall of Fame class

NFL Honors: 2014 Hall of Fame class

Andre Reed Career Highlights

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reed, Harrison, Haley, Williams & DeBartolo should make it.

Bettis, Strahan, Brooks & Dungy can wait awhile. But I just know that one or two of these guys will make it.

If Ray Guy has had to wait this long to make it, then Morten Andersen can wait too.

People have honestly forgotten how damn he good he was...

Sorry but in terms of a career award (if you will); it should be based on their entire career and not so closely linked to winning a SB like it is now. Irvin couldn't carry Andre's jock...

and honestly, loud mouth Carter couldn't either...

Sorry but in terms of a career award (if you will); it should be based on their entire career and not so closely linked to winning a SB like it is now. Irvin couldn't carry Andre's jock...

I can buy an argument where someone could put andre ahead possibly but to act like he's head and shoulders above seems like you might be the one letting time/emotion color your argument.

marvin harrison will get snubbed because of his later years and off field issues

Lynch will get it because of popularity...well, if he does.

Walter Jones deserves it and on the fence about Shields because this list is rather dynamic.

Other then Anderson and Bettis you can't look at this list and be 100% sure any belong.

Greene and D.Brooks - both very good, excellent, in their career. A.Williams not so much. Tim Brown is a head scratcher. Reed has stiff competition.

I can buy an argument where someone could put andre ahead possibly but to act like he's head and shoulders above seems like you might be the one letting time/emotion color your argument.

from 1986-1994 Kelly averaged 479 pass attempts that same 479 would put him 29th this year in the NFL. Rec. stats have become ridiculous when he retired he was #2 behind Rice he deserves to be in. How many wideouts in the hall of fame played with a 1400-1500 yd back at the same time?

this

Bettis, Dungy, Haley, Reed, Strahan

That's my guess.

Reed makes it in because he's been snubbed in the past and he's better than Brown and I think the voters will screw Harrison over because Reed was not an off the field murder suspect.

The point of playing is to win the Super Bowl. I think that Super Bowls is a great measurement for HoF.

That being said. They've led Andre along enough. This should be the year. It's just getting cruel having him on the ballot.

marvin harrison will get snubbed because of his later years and off field issues

Lynch will get it because of popularity...well, if he does.

Walter Jones deserves it and on the fence about Shields because this list is rather dynamic.

Other then Anderson and Bettis you can't look at this list and be 100% sure any belong.

Greene and D.Brooks - both very good, excellent, in their career. A.Williams not so much. Tim Brown is a head scratcher. Reed has stiff competition.

Wow jboyst, I strongly disagree with you on this.

Aeneas Williams was a great CB, I think he was even better than Deion Sanders. His biggest problem was that he played for the Cardinals.

:thumbdown:

its just not the Hall of Very Good. In his era he was very good. But not feared. Not a game-changer. You could narrate the history of the NFL without mentioning his name and it would be a complete story.

I went to those games. I loved Andre. But I also love the NFL, and i'm kind of a purist.

(FWIW, I think maybe the biggest travesty is Curtis Martin. Some people say "if Curtis Martin (or so-and-so) is in, then Reed should be. But I think there should be a stronger argument to kick Martin out than to say "well its diluted, so lets keep going along that path")

Edited by maddenboy

its just not the Hall of Very Good. In his era he was very good. But not feared. Not a game-changer. You could narrate the history of the NFL without mentioning his name and it would be a complete story.

I went to those games. I loved Andre. But I also love the NFL, and i'm kind of a purist.

(FWIW, I think maybe the biggest travesty is Curtis Martin. Some people say "if Curtis Martin (or so-and-so) is in, then Reed should be. But I think there should be a stronger argument to kick Martin out than to say "well its diluted, so lets keep going along that path")

The biggest travesty is Joe Namath.

Dude, Michael Irvin and Cris Carter were the goods. Andre is is great too. But Irvin and Carter were productive over quite a number of years as well.

Irvin was a no brainer. Carter/Reed could have gone in either order. Dre’s day is coming soon.

Edited by purple haze

Walter Jones was one of the three best LT's of all time. He is the only lock though Brooks is pretty close to a lock as well.

I don't know why I can't stand Tony Dungy so much. Well actually I do. Mostly a loser on the big stage and religion in your face all the time. How in the hell does he make the cut and not Jimmy Johnson? That is crazy. And pardon if I go all minority report but Tom Flores has two Super Bowl wins and did it first.

I think Reed has a real good shot. Killing a guy is reason enough for waiting a year or two for Harrison to get in. That cheesy mustache may be enough to keep him out forever.

wow. Couldn't disagree with you more in every point.

First of all, the Hall isn't based on stats. That's why it's the Hall of FAME!!!

Second, if the history of the NFL is written down, the 90s Bills and their run absolutely make it into the book, so therefore you can't ignore Reed.

And 3rd, since you brought of the Hall of very good, if you don't think it should be for players that aren't very good, then how could you ever leave out Martin??? He's statistically a top 10 RB in the history of this league.

Sounds to me that you paid a little too much attention to Madden and not enough attention to the real NFL.

Edited by mrags

Andre Reed among the 2007 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2008 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2009 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2010 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2011 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2012 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2013 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Andre Reed among the 2014 Pro Football HOF Finalists

I'm pretty worked up about it too!

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

The point of playing is to win the Super Bowl. I think that Super Bowls is a great measurement for HoF.

That being said. They've led Andre along enough. This should be the year. It's just getting cruel having him on the ballot.

Yes, but winning a Superbowl shouldn't have so much weight. You gotta look at their whole career. If the player was one who opposing coaches always had to game-plan against, then that should garner more consideration than anything else. Getting to or winning the Superbowl is icing on the cake, in my opinion.

I think Harrison is made to wait for off field. Is this the first year for DeBartolo? if so I also think he waits for off field issues.

But was Harrison ever convicted of anything? I couldn't believe when that happened. I would have put Peyton shooting someone before Harrison.

And Andre is my favorite player ever but I think he's going to wait a few years. As the years go by, voters will put his numbers in proper context. It's also worth pointing out that Harrison played in a dome while Reed played outside. I don't think this gets taken into account enough (See Brady vs. Manning).

Yes, but winning a Superbowl shouldn't have so much weight. You gotta look at their whole career. If the player was one who opposing coaches always had to game-plan against, then that should garner more consideration than anything else. Getting to or winning the Superbowl is icing on the cake, in my opinion.

Perhaps not as much weight as it sometimes holds.......but being a high profile star on a winning Super Bowl team certainly adds to a player's recognition.....therefore making them more famous. It being the Hall of Fame and all.....

Edited by Dibs

But was Harrison ever convicted of anything? I couldn't believe when that happened. I would have put Peyton shooting someone before Harrison.

And Andre is my favorite player ever but I think he's going to wait a few years. As the years go by, voters will put his numbers in proper context. It's also worth pointing out that Harrison played in a dome while Reed played outside. I don't think this gets taken into account enough (See Brady vs. Manning).

NFL channel is listing Harrison every time they name 3 or 4 of the 15. Maybe Andre should shoot someone to get more hype. :wallbash:

Harrison was a great receiver but Reed all day long over him IMO. Andre did too many things for him to be ignored any longer. How many clutch plays does someone have to make? Andre made hundreds it seems. And the playing outdoors thing is MAJOR. I saw Carter the other day talking about how his stats would have been greatly reduced if he played outdoors. I don't recall him saying that during the ESPN Cris Carter HOF promotional period. Andre's game was multi-dimensional and I always thought he was a very unique player beyond the stats. He should be in IMO.

If Reed can't get in this year, its over. Too many Name WR's coming up with better stats due to the new passing rules. Sure he is better than Brown was as a WR but they are going to look at Browns overall abilities and what he did.

Marvin, bottom line he was Paytons guy so you can bet he gets votes

Only 2 teams a year get to the superbowl and only 1 of those teams wins the superbowl each year; to say that is the pass to the hall BS. That is making a case for OJ Anderson, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams as well...John Stallworth is in the HOF - he shouldn't be. Just saying basing it on SB wins or letting that be a large deciding factor is misguided. An HOF career is based on your entire career. History is littered with great players who never won the big one...

Being objective, YAC he was the best ever - that stat measures the talent of a WR more than Receiving Yards IMO. A WR has to use their abilities to make football moves to avoid being tackled and extend the play. Getting a ton of receiving yards indicates that you you have a QB who can throw you the ball and you can catch. You can also fall down as soon as you catch it like Scott Chandler.

Breaking HOF WR logjam not easy

Bills WR Andre Reed is a Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist for the eighth straight year, after he was named to the list of 15 Thursday night. The presenter for Buffalo candidates is Hall of Fame Selector and Buffalo News Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan. He appeared on the John Murphy Show this week and explained that while Reed is a solid candidate breaking the wide receiver logjam is easier said than done.

Gaughan said the main reason Cris Carter leapfrogged Reed last year, even though Reed had made the first cut from 15 to 10 three of the previous four years, was in large part because Carter had 135 touchdowns to Reed’s 87. Now that Carter is in Murphy asked Gaughan if that clears the way for Reed this year.

“I hope so although it’s not simple,” said Gaughan. “Tim Brown is still there, but he has never made the final 10. Andre has made the final 10 for four of the last five years. Marvin Harrison is up this year so how does that impact the dynamics of the vote? That’s a good question.”

Still, Gaughan believes Reed is just as solid as about any other candidate on the final 15 list this year.

“He is a very strong candidate,” said Gaughan. “He’s viewed as a strong candidate or he wouldn’t keep making it. Not only has he made it eight times to the final 15, but he’s made the final 10 four of the last five years . I’m sure everybody knows this, but the way it works is the final 15 are whittled down to 10 and then five and then you vote up or down on those five.”

As for any so called “slam dunk” finalists that are most likely to gain enshrinement, Gaughan isn’t certain there are shoe-ins, but has a favorite for such a designation.

“It’s tough to predict,” he said. “Of the four first time eligible guys, Marvin Harrison, Walter Jones and Derrick Brooks, I think Walter Jones is probably the closest thing to a slam dunk. Nobody is a slam dunk like Joe Montana or Bruce Smith or Dan Marino. But Walter Jones is probably one of six or seven best tackles of all time. He’s an all-1st team all-decade player.”

Dude, Michael Irvin and Cris Carter were the goods. Andre is is great too. But Irvin and Carter were productive over quite a number of years as well.

Irvin was a no brainer. Carter/Reed could have gone in either order. Dre’s day is coming soon.

I think Andre leads Irvin in almost all receiving categories...the difference is the rings!