Mayock: 3 or 4 QBs will go in first round

Beerball

This former scout says Nassib is worth drafting no. 1 overall:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Eight-offensive-players-to-watch-in-the-Senior-Bowl.html

Just don't see it, Coach. I've seen what everyone here has seen. The Bills have lacked a QB who can throw the deep out since Bledsoe and nothing I've seen from Nassib says he can either. Plus, and IMO a big aspect today, he's as slow as molasses. Fitz can beat him in a 15, 25, 40 & 100 yard dash. So there's very little chance he can break from pressure and scramble for necessary yards to keep a drive alive.

Count me in the 'Hope Not' category.

8. From walter football billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State NCState_logo.gif

This is a reach - I had Mike Glennon in the second round a couple of updates ago - but we've seen second-day talents like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder go in the top 12. Teams are so desperate for quarterbacks that they'll make moves like this.

General manager Buddy Nix, who is generally forthcoming about his offseason plans, told the media that he plans on drafting a franchise quarterback. He even said he'll trade up for one in the 2013 NFL Draft. He may have been talking about Geno Smith if the Chiefs pass on him, but he won't have to move anywhere for Glennon.

It's still early, but I believe Glennon and Tyler Wilson are the two favorites for this selection. Nix will talk himself into taking one of them. Glennon is getting the most hype right now, with Mel Kiper even saying that he could be the first quarterback off the board. I liked this pick more when Chan Gailey was still the coach, as Glennon fit perfectly into his offense.

Of course, new head coach Doug Marrone may want Ryan Nassib, but it's not uncommon for a college coach to pass on his former players. For instance, we saw this in Seattle when Pete Carroll eschewed picking Taylor Mays in favor of the superior Earl Thomas.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

8. From walter football billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State NCState_logo.gif

This is a reach - I had Mike Glennon in the second round a couple of updates ago - but we've seen second-day talents like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder go in the top 12. Teams are so desperate for quarterbacks that they'll make moves like this.

General manager Buddy Nix, who is generally forthcoming about his offseason plans, told the media that he plans on drafting a franchise quarterback. He even said he'll trade up for one in the 2013 NFL Draft. He may have been talking about Geno Smith if the Chiefs pass on him, but he won't have to move anywhere for Glennon.

It's still early, but I believe Glennon and Tyler Wilson are the two favorites for this selection. Nix will talk himself into taking one of them. Glennon is getting the most hype right now, with Mel Kiper even saying that he could be the first quarterback off the board. I liked this pick more when Chan Gailey was still the coach, as Glennon fit perfectly into his offense.

Of course, new head coach Doug Marrone may want Ryan Nassib, but it's not uncommon for a college coach to pass on his former players. For instance, we saw this in Seattle when Pete Carroll eschewed picking Taylor Mays in favor of the superior Earl Thomas.

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2013.php

I like the Walter Football site, but Mike Glennon in round 1 is a HUGE mistake. I do not see that happening. My thought now is that the Bills will try to trade down -- not sure if they will get any takers.

If the Bills are serious about finding their franchise qb in this year's draft then they have to take the qb in the first round. The issue isn't only losing out to our preferred qb in the first round it is also the possibility of losing our preferred qb near the top of the second round where teams such as KC and the Cardinals also have serious qb needs. My preferred qb at this point is Tyler Wilson. There are strong odds that he and other enticing prospects will not be there in the second half of the first round or the top of the second round..

The strategy of trading back into the first round is a risky approach to take. In order to do that the price could be high in draft picks, there might not be a trade partner to make the deal and the greatest risk is another team maneuvering back into the first round ahead of us taking the qb that we covet.

Buddy Nix put this franchise in a bind when in his three year stint he found no credible qb prospect for the qb starved roster. Now everyone knows that this franchise needs to make a qb selection in the first or second round. That allows other qb seeking teams the ability to maneuver ahead of us to take a qb prospect that might have been available to us.

Nix stated that he doesn't want to leave this franchise before he finds a franchise qb. My suggestion is for him to get his backside in gear and get it done. Before he makes the qb selection he also needs to improve his scouting skills because it is apparent that he failed to see qualilty prospects when they were right in front of him.

Edited by JohnC

I say take a qb in 1st & 2nd.

thats what i keep saying......

look, this team has about 7 "needs" (QB, OLB, OLB, CB, WR, TE, OT)

but "franchise qb" is easily the #1 need....and we need two of em either thru the draft or free agency.

Edited by papazoid

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2013.php

You know, that's a good point. It's not a lock that Marrone will want Nassib. Yes, he knows him better than any other coach, but that means he knows not only his strengths, but also his weaknesses. His job is to win in the NFL now, and presumably he's got a pretty good idea what the barometer for NFL QB success looks like. He was able to make Nassib into a very respectable Big Least QB, but could know very well that it won't translate. The notion of a new coach salivating over his own college QB in the upcoming draft sure would make for some good misdirection and smokescreens.

Just don't see it, Coach. I've seen what everyone here has seen. The Bills have lacked a QB who can throw the deep out since Bledsoe and nothing I've seen from Nassib says he can either. Plus, and IMO a big aspect today, he's as slow as molasses. Fitz can beat him in a 15, 25, 40 & 100 yard dash. So there's very little chance he can break from pressure and scramble for necessary yards to keep a drive alive.

Well get use to it because he is going with his former coach this has been a homer type hire & we as fans will have to watch it play out .

I hope that it plays out for the better ! But my gut tells me that the actions of the Bills FO namely Russ Brandon was to get HIS GUY in as the HC .

They said in interviews after the hire that it was a "exhaustive & thorough search" If 1 week & 5 candidates & one of those being a very short interview with Chip Kelly & 2 to suffice the Rooney rule constitutes exhaustive & thorough then we need to change the definition in Webster's because the Bills FO definition of those 2 words are 180 from the true meaning !!

But here's hoping ??? go bills (limited enthusiasm)

Edited by T master

but "franchise qb" is easily the #1 need....and we need two of em either thru the draft or free agency.

For years now everyone has been saying that Fitz is nothing but a backup QB. Why would you draft 2 QBs as early as 1 and 2 if you already have a capable backup on your roster?

I get the idea that you can't miss finding a guy and you take 2 just in case you miss on one. But most likely were gonna get Nassib and Marrone knows perfectly well what he's capable of.

You know it, I know it, he said it.

Bills will have to get 'their guy' in the first whether at 8, trade down or trade back in they better get a QB in the first unless they want more sloppy seconds.

I have said before and will say it again - I don't trust Nix to make the right call. He has been roundly (and rightfully) criticized for blowing the QB situation in his tenure so far. He sounds desperate to fix his legacy and IMHO, is not going to be objective enough to make a decision for the first two rounds. I hope Brandon and Whaley use his input but ultimately take the decision out of his hands - whether it is for or against drafting a QB in the first round.

Nassib throws lazers. If anything, he needs to learn to take some off of it. He can throw a deep out, dont worry about that.

I have said before and will say it again - I don't trust Nix to make the right call. He has been roundly (and rightfully) criticized for blowing the QB situation in his tenure so far. He sounds desperate to fix his legacy and IMHO, is not going to be objective enough to make a decision for the first two rounds. I hope Brandon and Whaley use his input but ultimately take the decision out of his hands - whether it is for or against drafting a QB in the first round.

Neither do I. I like the fact we have Nassibs former HC and OC though, that should make the decision on him almost full-proof (this is still the Bills thought).

This former scout says Nassib is worth drafting no. 1 overall:

http://www.nationalf...enior-Bowl.html

Yep, the author of that NFP article says Nassib is worth a #1 pick. But in the same edition of National Football Post, they rate Nassib the 10th best QB prospect and have the Bills taking Glennon at #8 in their mock draft.

Well get use to it because he is going with his former coach this has been a homer type hire & we as fans will have to watch it play out .

I hope that it plays out for the better ! But my gut tells me that the actions of the Bills FO namely Russ Brandon was to get HIS GUY in as the HC .

They said in interviews after the hire that it was a "exhaustive & thorough search" If 1 week & 5 candidates & one of those being a very short interview with Chip Kelly & 2 to suffice the Rooney rule constitutes exhaustive & thorough then we need to change the definition in Webster's because the Bills FO definition of those 2 words are 180 from the true meaning !!

But here's hoping ??? go bills (limited enthusiasm)

I really don't get why so many people are saying the Bills HC search was not "exhaustive." Unless you have inside knowledge, how do you know? I have to assume OBD began their due diligence weeks - if not months - before Chan was canned. They probably studied game tape of the various HC candidates and talked to people who knew them. The interviews we know about are just the tip of the iceberg.

Just look at the interview schedule. Russ and the guys hit this with a sense of purpose. They knew just who they wanted to talk to and what questions they wanted to ask- because they had already done extensive homework. Before Chan was even fired, the search could be deemed "exhaustive."

My evaluation of Ryan Nassib says that CAN make all those throws and accurately as well.......

And yes....Ryan Fitzpatrick would probably beat Ryan Nassib in a footrace (wasnt Fitz in track at a younger age) but to me that means nothing.....it is about being athletic enough to manuver around WITHIN the pocket and then deliver the accurate throw.

Ryan is a pocket passer....but he is not a statue. My only concern with him is level of competition. To be fair his O line protection was mostly crap and his receivers drop a ton of catchable balls.

I agree with you on Nassib. I'm hoping that Marrone's system will make whatever qb we start in 2013 better, but I'm hoping for a free agent to compete with Fitz and drafting a guy later to hopefully be a backup. Then get someone in the draft next year.

I say this every year because it's true every year.

There is always -- ALWAYS -- at least one QB who was OK in December, or maybe even a prospect in December, but then shoots up the draft charts because the experts get impressed. Last year it was Ryan Tannehill. The year before that, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker. I'm always amazed at the guys who get better every day without playing a game than they were playing every week.

Maybe some guys actually are worth it (Tannehill showed better than anyone expected, but let's not get carried away for one season); others make you wonder what everyone was so excited about. That's where I am on Glennon: he could be this year's Combine champion who never does anything else.

For those worried about the "risk" of going after a QB by a team that has never drafted a QB first:

2008 First Round

1. Miami - Jake Long, OT Michigan

2. St. Louis - Chris Long, DE Virginia

3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB Boston College

4. Oakland - Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas

5. Kansas City - Glen Dorsey, DT LSU

6. NY Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio State

7. New Orleans (From 49ers through Patriots)- Sedrick Ellis, DT USC

8. Jacksonville (From Ravens)- Derrick Harvey, DE Florida

9. Cincinnati - Keith Rivers, LB USC

10. New England (From Saints)- Jerod Mayo, LB Tennessee

*11. Buffalo - Leodis McKelvin, CB Troy*

12. Denver - Ryan Clady, OT Boise State

13. Carolina - Jonathan Stewart, RB Oregon

14. Chicago - Chris Williams, OT Vanderbilt

15. Kansas City (From Lions)- Branden Albert, G Virginia

16. Arizona - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee State

17. Detroit (From Vikings through Chiefs)- Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

*18. Baltimore (From Texans)- Joe Flacco, QB Delaware*

19. Carolina (From Eagles)- Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh

20. Tampa Bay - Aqib Talib, CB Kansas

21. Atlanta (From Redskins)- Sam Baker, OT USC

22. Dallas (From Browns)- Felix Jones, RB Arkansas

23. Pittsburgh - Rashard Mendenhall, RB Illinois

24. Tennessee - Chris Johnson, RB East Carolina

25. Dallas (From Seahawks)- Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida

26. Houston (From Jaguars through Ravens)- Duane Brown, OT Virginia Tech

27. San Diego - Antoine Cason, CB Arizona

28. Seattle (From Cowboys)- Lawrence Jackson, DE USC

29. San Francisco (From Colts)- Kentwan Balmer, DT North Carolina

30. NY Jets (From Packers)- Dustin Keller, TE Purdue

31. NY Giants - Kenny Phillips, S Miami (FL)

There is always -- ALWAYS -- at least one QB who was OK in December, or maybe even a prospect in December, but then shoots up the draft charts because the experts get impressed. Last year it was Ryan Tannehill. The year before that, Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker. I'm always amazed at the guys who get better every day without playing a game than they were playing every week.

Maybe some guys actually are worth it (Tannehill showed better than anyone expected, but let's not get carried away for one season); others make you wonder what everyone was so excited about. That's where I am on Glennon: he could be this year's Combine champion who never does anything else.

You can say that about any qb or player playing any position. The scouts not only consider the combine efforts but they also review game films. The Bills have been a lagging team because they simply are mediocre in assessing talent. As far as players shooting up the draft board with and without merit it is more of a function of an organization's ability to recognize talent or not.

The qb position (obviously) is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate. A qb who is very prolific in college may have a game that doesn't necessarily translate to the more challenging pro game. Even organizations that are very good in assessing talent make mistakes. The Ravens took Kyle Boller with a first round pick prior to their current qb's selecton. They gave Boller an ample opportunity to play. It simply didn't work out. They didn't allow that draft mistake to freeze them from finding a better qb prospect. They tried again with the Flacco selection a few years later. Without a doubt that persistence in searching for a franchise qb paid off for them. Compare that effort with Nix's non effort in finding a good qb prospect in his three years as a GM?

Well there's a ringing endorsement, Those four QBs are also the answer to the question "name 4 QBs who make Ryan Fitzpatrick look good"

The point is, if even THOSE guys are going top-10, then we have to get our guy in the 1st round this year. The value of picking QBs goes up every year when you look at how the NFL is changing its rules to create a QB-driven league, and couple that with the rookie scale making high picks much less of a liability. Need to go QB early (and probably often).

Nassib has been compared to Andy Dalton & Kirk Cousins, Glennon to Carson Palmer

And here is some Interesting news

John Kryk reported Monday that Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson meet with Bills scouts in attendance for a one-on-one interview

Edited by Hater

The Super Bowl has two starting Qb's that where picked 18th and 36th.

I am only pointing this out because the Bills are in a great spot at 8 to get the guy they want. They just need to get the pick right at QB.

There is going to be one or two gyus from this draft that turn into legit starters in the league. Find him and take him at 8.

Ryan Nassib on WGR 550

"My favorite offense is the one Coach Hackett is bringing to the Buffalo Bills" Nassib said. "That offense we had last year was probably the most fun I’ve had playing football. We were going so fast, we didn’t care if something bad happened. We just worried about the next play and sometimes that’s how you’ve got to play football."

When ask about Buffalo Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone, Ryan Nassib said he would really like to play for his old head coach

I like that, a guy who want to play for the Bills

I worry more about our line talent ! Our D-Line is above average and our O-Line is maybe average ! Wood and Glenn are very good , get your lines better before we bang our heads on a good qb !Levitre is good but he's not worth spending a ton of cap money on !Mike Williams was probably our biggest mistake in years ! It was huge !

Never discount the possibility that teams inflate a guys ranking on their boards to fit their needs. It can happen. Panic that you might not get the QB you covet may force teams to trade up and take a guy not slotted that high. If you have a top 15 draft pick and are willing to trade out, you can get alot in return in a trade.

there are a few issues here.

you have to seperate nfl boards from kipers big board.

locker was nearly the opposite if you ask me - he was a top prospect forever and i couldnt believe he never feel down the boards.

I like that, a guy who want to play for the Bills

its sad its come to statements like that.