Bills fans thoughts on new coaching staff so far??

mrags

Mods. I know there are about 10 different threads for all of our coaching, President, and assistant coach changes. This isn't your normal thread covering them. Please combine with another thread if you feel it should be but I think this may bring the topic in a different direction.

Now that I'm done with that, let me say that I've just woken up about an hour ago and managed to see a few things that I hadn't since last night.

The first real thing I've seen since I woke up was the hiring of Mike Pettine as our defensive coordinator.

Just the other day I saw the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as our offensive coordinator.

And of course the hiring of our new head coach Doug Marrone.

I read the information on Petrine being hired and got really excited about the move. Since I've been at work the last 4 days on 16 hour shifts I haven't really had much time to read up on some of these changes. And I hadn't had the opportunity to watch the 35+ minute interview and announcement of Marrone as our Head Coach.

By the time I finished watching the Marrone announcement I was gladly Suprised by another update as Jim O'Neil was also brought on to the coaching staff. I'm assuming he will be our DB coach but that I haven't confirmed anywhere yet.

One of the things I LOVE about the process this off season so far is the urgency. I heard on the announcement video and have seen some comments here about how they could really have an "exhaustive" search with their head coach vacancy yet hire Marrone after only a few days of searching. I also put my own opinion into it that he WAS exactly what they wanted from the begin with.

In the announcement, Buddy said he was the "2nd coach they interviewed" and that process had gone on over a few days meeting back with him during and throughout the process.

In my unprofessional opinion of what went down was this: they went to Arizone and interviewed Chip Kelly, with the intent that if he was their man he would be the one hired. They also interviewed Horton, Wiz as Rooney Rule candidates. They had opinions on Kelly and Marrine and wanted one of these men as their man. They noticed that Marrone was not only the better option, but the more solid option. Kelly decided to go back to Oregon. He was courted by many and was said to be out of the Bills future after meeting with Browns and talks about the Eagles. I am going out on a limb to say he was interested in the Bills vacancy more than the others but the feelings were not mutual after the Bills met with Marrone. Kelly eventually went back to the college ranks and Buddy stated that their 2nd guy (Marrone) was always their man after that 2nd interview. Kelly knew that and that's why he took a bit to decide on Oregon. He waited to make sure but knew after a few days the Bills were serious about Marrone.

I know the thought of this may really make some of you jump off a building but I think this is how it went down.

In the end, the Bills are being extremely pro active in their searches. They "Striking while the stove is hot" and they are moving with a great quickness.

As Promo pointed out in the O'Neil thread that we are hiring our assistants before other teams have their Head Coaches. "WOW" he wrote. Yes, that's the best way it can be summed up. The FO knew Marrone would be a highly sought after choice and got while the gettin was good. Since then, they haven't taken their feet off the excellerator. They are moving forward and being the most active team so far out if the open coaching position teams to fill up their coaching staff before anyone knows whats going on. They will be "stealing" assistants away from other teams that wished they were in it earlier to attract some of these talents.

Marrone and Hackett have much knowledge of the offensive gameplan they will put in place. They have much experience with the offensive and defensive players coming out in this years draft as they played against quite a few of them and game planned around them for a few years now. And Pettine and O'Neil have much knowledge of the defensive side if the ball and the inner workings of the AFC east and how to gameplan against these teams. How to implement an experienced NFL defense that will, has, and does work.

Yes everyone. This isn't your fathers and uncles Bills. This is a very young and hungry Buffalo Bills coaching staff, however very experienced in their fields. Marrone is a big, overpowering man and a previous offensive linemen and will find ways to get this staff and team to utilize the running game, perfect the passing game and instill will on other teams and coaches.

I for one am VERY excited. I hope you all are as well. We are on the verge of a new era of Buffalo Bills football where we will show everyone what we are and make them try to stop it.

I hope you all enjoyed and I'm interested in listening to what you all have to say.

My post too long for people to bother reading maybe? Or nobody cares. Who knows, maybe everyone is sucked into all the other 38 coaching staff threads.

Either way, I'm bumping my own post. Interested to hear what people say.

My post too long for people to bother reading maybe? Or nobody cares. Who knows, maybe everyone is sucked into all the other 38 coaching staff threads.

Agree with much of what you said above, although I don't know what you're basing your speculation about Kelly's interest on?

Not to rain on your parade but there's similar talk in the pinned threads.

Agree with much of what you said above, although I don't know what you're basing your speculation about Kelly's interest on?

Not to rain on your parade but there's similar talk in the pinned threads.

was just my opinion after I saw the presser and how they talked about he was their 2nd guy interviewed and pretty much knew after that. If he interviewed on Wednesday or Thursday and we had 5 interviews with him, it makes me feel that Kelly was holding out for us but got the feeling we wanted Marrone. Again, JMO.

I know there's many similar posts and ideas in many other threads. I thought maybe this thread could combine them all so that we could talk about ALL the coaching hires and how we feel about them as a whole in this thread. That way we aren't talking about Pettine in the O'Neil threads, or Marrone in the assistant threads.

definately a lot of material to get through there, but you make some good points. i agree with the overall feeling here, i like the hire of coach marrone. i like the hire of a young and intelligent set of coordinators. the hackett hire seems like a good one to me because of the familiarity between the hc and his oc so it should be the right person to teach marrone's system to the team. and i like that they will have a certain degree of familiarity with a lot of the kids coming out in the draft. i am very excited to see how the rest of the staff fills out and to find out about the team philosophy on offense and defense.

I would like to see the organization reach out to Pete Metzelaars, and try to retain him. He really did a wonderful job in working to make the TE position relevant again in Buffalo, and you could actually see the development of Chandler and Smith from last year to this year, Smith with his footwork and positioning with his blocks and his ability to settle into space ion the recieving game, and Chandler with his tequnique in reading and finding the seam on his option routes.

I don't think we needed to rebuild. We were on the cusp of being a playoff team. Better QB play and better LB's and better play calling (more CJ!) and we could have been a wildcard team this year IMO. I don't agree with any of the moves they have made so far. I feel like we are starting over from scratch with this new coaching staff. I would have been much more conservative and hired Lovie, a proven OC, and traded for a veteran QB and I think we would have made the playoffs next year. Instead we are looking at yet another "rebuilding year" and a team that might be good 3 yrs or so down the line or might be back to square one again, especially if we end up starting a rookie QB. It's anybody's guess. We'll see!

Draft QB's in the 1st and 2nd rounds and it will be a success. Just maximize their chances to hit on a successful QB and we are on our way. The coaching staff looks much improved and frankly, it's not hard to follow that last act.

LOVE IT! Frankly, although I like the Patriots offense - especially now that they're running more - I just don't think the spread is as favorable as, say, the offense the 49er's run. So, had Chip Kelly come in, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have immediate success. That offense hinges so much on excellent QB play. So, the fact that we've got a guy who, for one, WANTS to coach the Bills - that is hugely important! The players would play much better if they wanted to be here, and weren't just here because they were drafted, or offered more than they could refuse. That element of wanting to be there is big, and it'll help turn the team mentality around. Secondly, his offense isn't set in stone - nor his overall team philosophy. He has schemes and preferences, but he's not so arrogant that he'll try to force things. Add to that he, I read, keeps things pretty simple. That, too, is huge! Rather than having an offense so complex our F.A. QB's cannot even make it on the field after being here a year, we're going to see a system that might have less plays, but the players will have mastered them, and will have confidence in them. Again, that's huge! Our K-Gun offense of old was said to have been pretty simple. We need our players to be able to play fast.

I could go on and on - we'll see how it goes. I'm happy with the hire. My biggest desire out of the Bills, when it came to finding a coach, was that they find someone with intelligence, passion, and perspective. We needed a coach who would stop at nothing to improve, a coach who's opinion of success wasn't the playoffs, but winning the Super Bowl.

Add to it he hires Pettine - perhaps the hottest available D.C., more so, I'd say, than even Rob Ryan or Horton. This guy is going to get his chance to show the world that HE, not Rex, was the reason for the top defenses in NY. That he'd go right to the best, and get him to come in, shows guts and it's the same thing I would have done. What Bills fan doesn't want to see the Bills defense playing nasty, aggressive, and bone breaking?

Of course, it's all early and new, but I love it, and I think the Bills are going to be very relevant again, and consistently so!

I question the OC hire....he may be too fresh..I would have liked it beeter having his father in as OC and him as QB coach......if it wasnt for his dad being who he was I would be even more livid.

Edited by djp14150

hard to tell right now, but i will give them this they are moving towards a more youthful staff.

I like that.

Marrone is 48 will be 49 in July. I was not very excited at first but like many others once i researched him more i am liking it more and more.

I think Hackett is very young but i also think he will be a good addition. i see his role being much like Marrones role with Payton while with the Saints.

Pettine is a great hire.

So far i like the moves. now they just need to find a couple of players in the key areas and the Bills should be something to watch in 2013.

I don't think we needed to rebuild. We were on the cusp of being a playoff team. Better QB play and better LB's and better play calling (more CJ!) and we could have been a wildcard team this year IMO. I don't agree with any of the moves they have made so far. I feel like we are starting over from scratch with this new coaching staff. I would have been much more conservative and hired Lovie, a proven OC, and traded for a veteran QB and I think we would have made the playoffs next year. Instead we are looking at yet another "rebuilding year" and a team that might be good 3 yrs or so down the line or might be back to square one again, especially if we end up starting a rookie QB. It's anybody's guess. We'll see!

While I can understand how you got to your conclusion, I disagree. I don't think there is really any evidence that we were on the cusp of being a playoff team. We're drafting in the top 10, again; one of our best leaders (Kyle Williams) came out and said there are a lot of players on this team that don't give 100%, we severly underperformed for the talent (supposed) that we have on the team.

In my opinion, Lovie Smith is just another coach who was fired that also underachieved with the talent he had on his roster. He couldn't win with a top 5 WR, top 5 RB, top 10 QB, and a top 5 D and we expect him to come here and win with a FA QB (or rookie) who will surely not be as good as Cutler (at least not right away), top 10-15 WR, a potentially top 5 back, and a D in shambles? We need someone to come in and motivate, bring accountability, and bust some heads. I think Marrone will do this. It's not really that we're rebuilding, per se, it's that we're bringing in a new philosophy. I hope he cuts guys, pisses guys off, and forces guys who don't buy in to leave. Good riddance.

I agree with every move they've made so far (although am a bit scared on the OC front, but trust the judgement so far).

I believe the Bills are taking a step in the right direction. HC Marrone was coveted by multiple teams and the Bills beat them all to the punch. he brings in a fresh look built on discipline and accountability. His selections of Mike Pettine as DC and Nathaniel Hackett as OC are in my opinions very good selections. We needed a strong DC with NFL experience and Pettine meets that requirement. The fact that he is extremely familiar with the AFC East is a huge bonus as that is where we really need to improve if we are to become a bonafide contender. Also, bringing over the Jets DB coach is a big plus as the Jets secondary was one of the best in the league.

While the selection of Hackett may bring some criticism from some fans, remember that one thing many criticized Chan Gailey for was not be aware of his HC duties on game day since he was so immersed in his play calling. Since coach Marrone is one with a very successful background on the offensive side, for him to feel comfortable not calling the plays requires having an OC on the same page as him. Hackett and Marrone worked side-by-side for 2 years at Syracuse and while Marrone will still have significant input on the offensive game plan, he can trust Hackett to follow through with it and, thus, leave Coach Marrone to manage the entire team on game day which is something we have sorely missed. I like the direction.

Lovie is just like a Jauron or Gailey, there's a reason that they get fired. The problem is we have Swung and missed on these so called "proven" guys, and have been hanging out in the cellar of the division for years now.

Rebuilding would Imply that we are rebuilding the roster, which we probably won't. Those holes are still there, and I trust the new guy to address them more than Gailey or Lovie.

As for Marrone specifically, i like the fact that he actually WANTS this job. Not just a job in the NFL as a head coach, but a job as the bills head coach.

GO BILLS!

theres really no way to tell which way its going to go. with chip kelly out, the bills got the hottest up and comer available. but frankly, those guys fail more often than they succeed in their first gig so odds are actually against us. hiring a 33 yo rookie oc also makes me very nervous. pettine looks like a potentially solid hire but again being under ryan for so long means we wont know how he does with his own show until he actually does it

so yeah, a lot of energy now feels good but really its a roll of the dice and we are at least two years away from knowing if it comes up heads or tails

While I can understand how you got to your conclusion, I disagree. I don't think there is really any evidence that we were on the cusp of being a playoff team. We're drafting in the top 10, again; one of our best leaders (Kyle Williams) came out and said there are a lot of players on this team that don't give 100%, we severly underperformed for the talent (supposed) that we have on the team.

In my opinion, Lovie Smith is just another coach who was fired that also underachieved with the talent he had on his roster. He couldn't win with a top 5 WR, top 5 RB, top 10 QB, and a top 5 D and we expect him to come here and win with a FA QB (or rookie) who will surely not be as good as Cutler (at least not right away), top 10-15 WR, a potentially top 5 back, and a D in shambles? We need someone to come in and motivate, bring accountability, and bust some heads. I think Marrone will do this. It's not really that we're rebuilding, per se, it's that we're bringing in a new philosophy. I hope he cuts guys, pisses guys off, and forces guys who don't buy in to leave. Good riddance.

Buffalo is not a rebuilding team......they underperformed/poor coaching

The biggest factors to success/failure in this league are:

1. motivation/wanting to win/confidence

2. being healthy

3. luck of the schedule

4. overall luck

Sure you ccan argue if Buffalo needs a #2 receiver....but do they have one that was not utilized?

I'd agree with MetzlePretzle coming back. Or at least welcome it. And the OLine coach. But I'm gonna trust in Doug here on these calls. He's a former OLmen and he should have in depth knowledge of both these positions.

I think we have been snookered by Russ once again. Russ, if nothing else, is an expert at selling hope. He understands that moves made boldly and swiftly are likely to be interpreted as sound moves.

translation: There is nothing the Bills could do to make me happy. I like to whine.

PTR

I believe the Bills are taking a step in the right direction. HC Marrone was coveted by multiple teams and the Bills beat them all to the punch. he brings in a fresh look built on discipline and accountability. His selections of Mike Pettine as DC and Nathaniel Hackett as OC are in my opinions very good selections. We needed a strong DC with NFL experience and Pettine meets that requirement. The fact that he is extremely familiar with the AFC East is a huge bonus as that is where we really need to improve if we are to become a bonafide contender. Also, bringing over the Jets DB coach is a big plus as the Jets secondary was one of the best in the league.

While the selection of Hackett may bring some criticism from some fans, remember that one thing many criticized Chan Gailey for was not be aware of his HC duties on game day since he was so immersed in his play calling. Since coach Marrone is one with a very successful background on the offensive side, for him to feel comfortable not calling the plays requires having an OC on the same page as him. Hackett and Marrone worked side-by-side for 2 years at Syracuse and while Marrone will still have significant input on the offensive game plan, he can trust Hackett to follow through with it and, thus, leave Coach Marrone to manage the entire team on game day which is something we have sorely missed. I like the direction.

I questioned the OC choice since the stated objective was to get coordinators with NFL experience but understand the rationale behind the choice. The key to me is the Bills got a coach that many other teams desired and not some recycled/fired castoff that the previous team determined could not be successful or a guy nobody else wanted. Although we won't know for sure until we start to see the results on the field in September I get the feeling its different this time and the light has finally gone on with the organization and the team is going to be more creative, aggressive, and tougher to play against next season. Filling out the staff, preparing and particpating in free agency and the draft are going to answer some of the questions.

IMO, a time to have some valid sense of excitement and hope for the first time in years.

IMO, a time to have some valid sense of excitement and hope for the first time in years.

I will give them this: We have the most exciting team in the NFL so far this offseason. We have been getting a lot of attention around the league and grabbing headlines. But does any of this translate into wins? I guess we will see

Im pretty pumped. My philosophy with football is you have to play aggressive in all three phases of the game. You have to take chances down the field on offense and you have to blitz and hit hard on defense. I hate the Cover 2, I hate conservatism, I hate playing not to lose. Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy are coaches i admire, I detest coaches like Tony Dungy, Tom Coughlin, Lovie Smith, Dick Jauron, Jim Caldwell, Leslie Frazier etc.

Marrone looks like he is everything I would want if I was the one hiring a coach.We need a QB desperately because Fitz sucks, but Brandon has me believing were finally headed in the right direction....again.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I like what they have done so far. Can't complain about the choice of HC, I think Marrone will be a good one. Hiring Pettine from the Jets I believe was a good move as well. Hackett and Marrone have worked well together before, so I see no reason to believe it won't work here. Hackett comes from a coaching family and is an up and comer. Of course time will tell, but since this is a forum for opinions, mine is that they are moving in the right direction.

LOVE IT! Frankly, although I like the Patriots offense - especially now that they're running more - I just don't think the spread is as favorable as, say, the offense the 49er's run. So, had Chip Kelly come in, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have immediate success. That offense hinges so much on excellent QB play. So, the fact that we've got a guy who, for one, WANTS to coach the Bills - that is hugely important! The players would play much better if they wanted to be here, and weren't just here because they were drafted, or offered more than they could refuse. That element of wanting to be there is big, and it'll help turn the team mentality around. Secondly, his offense isn't set in stone - nor his overall team philosophy. He has schemes and preferences, but he's not so arrogant that he'll try to force things. Add to that he, I read, keeps things pretty simple. That, too, is huge! Rather than having an offense so complex our F.A. QB's cannot even make it on the field after being here a year, we're going to see a system that might have less plays, but the players will have mastered them, and will have confidence in them. Again, that's huge! Our K-Gun offense of old was said to have been pretty simple. We need our players to be able to play fast.

I could go on and on - we'll see how it goes. I'm happy with the hire. My biggest desire out of the Bills, when it came to finding a coach, was that they find someone with intelligence, passion, and perspective. We needed a coach who would stop at nothing to improve, a coach who's opinion of success wasn't the playoffs, but winning the Super Bowl.

Add to it he hires Pettine - perhaps the hottest available D.C., more so, I'd say, than even Rob Ryan or Horton. This guy is going to get his chance to show the world that HE, not Rex, was the reason for the top defenses in NY. That he'd go right to the best, and get him to come in, shows guts and it's the same thing I would have done. What Bills fan doesn't want to see the Bills defense playing nasty, aggressive, and bone breaking?

Of course, it's all early and new, but I love it, and I think the Bills are going to be very relevant again, and consistently so!

Amen brother. Nice post. I especially agree about these players being coached fundamentals and the likelihood of these players respecting the coaches (i.e. performing on the field not only for themselves but for the team and to gain approval from coaches they respect).

Doug Marrone

When I first heard him announced as coach, I'll admit that I was a little disappointed. But then again, I'm not exactly familiar with Syracuse's football program... so it's really not fair to criticize.

As the days have gone by, I've gotten more excited about the hire. Marrone was a top candidate for most of the teams searching for a head coach. He's got glowing recommendations from his former co-workers, bosses and players.

On top of that, his style is just what I would look for in a coach. He's aggressive and apparently a tireless worker. He pays attention to details and is willing to delegate responsiblity to his staff.

He's inexperienced, but so what? Our choices were either hiring someone who hadn't been a head coach before, or hiring someone that failed and was fired from his previous HC job.

Nathanial Hackett

This one concerns me. With a first time head coach on the sidelines, I was really hoping for some experience at the coordinator positions - especially in his first year.

I'm even more worried that Hackett comes from Syracuse too - and that people are now talking about us taking Ryan Nassib in the draft. What happens when an NFL defense throws something at us that they didn't see in the Big East? There is nobody to consult.

Getting a college coach from Syracuse to work out is one thing. But expecting (basically) the entire Syracuse offense to be successful in the NFL... that's quite another.

If they liked Hackett that much, I think they should have nabbed him as a position coach and groomed him to take over the job from someone with more experience.

Mike Pettine

Wow. You can't get a much better resume than this.

Over the last decade, he's been a defensive coach for the Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets.

Very few people doubt the talent and potential of our defense. Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Jairus Byrd. We all know that Wannstedt wasted that potential with his laid back scheme, which exposed our weakness at linebacker. Pettine has recent success and should have no problem getting the most out of our defensive players with his aggressive blitzing.

Marrone and Pettine will bring a much-needed change to the culture that has been losing Bills football. There was a reason we were cautiously optimistic about our chances last year--we re-signed the right guys, upgraded our pathetic pass rush in FA and (aside from taking Graham over a QB in the 3rd) we drafted pretty well (the experts agreed). So, with a solid roster why did we fail? Perhaps the answer was a lack of leadership. We'll find out this year....

I think we have been snookered by Russ once again. Russ, if nothing else, is an expert at selling hope. He understands that moves made boldly and swiftly are likely to be interpreted as sound moves.

Haha, very good point. I've got to say if this is true, his plan is working as I am already becoming somewhat hopeful.

However, I have to say this too. In press conferences he continually repeats that "this is a production business". By that he means, when you win, you get high attendance and more revenue and that couldn't be truer. The greatest business model is putting a winner on the field and no trickery beats that. If he were truly smart, I think he would understand that the best marketing strategy is to build a winning team; not have to fake fans into believing they built a winning team every year. After all, they have been spending money on players so it's not like they are spending no money, pulling the wool over our eyes and trying to trick us into producing high revenues for the club without spending. I think they are legitamately trying to build a winner. Do they have the skill to do that? That's what we'll find out.

I think like everyone else I question the OC hire but im willing to watch it for a bit to see. Pettine was a great hire and I think we will be really happy with what he comes in and does. I also how we resign Joe D'Alessandris and the D-Line coach (WGR is very high on him and has convinced me). Other then that I trust him.

Edited by Billshank Redemption

I actually agree with this quote, and is the reason why I was thinking continuity was the way to go. However, it does not matter now I guess. I'm sticking with the Bills and their pick ups and catiously optimistic we are going in the right direction and are not going to fall into the class of coaches who fail their first time. Please please please let us be the exception rather than the rule!!!

The OC hiring will make more sense if they get Nassib and plan to make him the future franchise QB. I can't think of a better transition for a rookie QB into the NFL than having your college head coach and offensive coordinator there with you and running the same offense you already know

As many have already stated, when they announced Marrone was the new coach I was less than thrilled and figured it to be a marketing/regionalization ploy that we have seen from Russ. As the days went by and I was able to hear/read more and more about him I started to get excited.

Hackett obviously wasn't the popular choice but I really do think it was a smart move. We have a new HC that hasn't coached as a HC in the NFL before. Hiring his OC from Syracuse already adds some familiarity and "continuity" to the offensive side of the ball. Marrone said that he won't be calling the plays but they will all go through him, therefore, I think he knows his own guys strengths and weaknesses when he is making his play calling which is a plus.

Pettine. I really want someone to interview Rexy now that he has come to the Bills. This is a big splash for the team and I think he can get a lot more out of the players (teaching them more than what they already know) that are on the team no matter what defensive scheme he plans on using.

I think the team is making the right hires, adding discipline and toughness. If the reports I have read about Hackett being a rising star and using some kgun concepts in his offensive plan then the offense should be exciting and productive provided they secure a QB and WR early in the draft or free agency/via trade. Imagining CJ in a Thurman type role is getting me pumped right now, that might be a dream tho. Anyways, good start hope they keep it up.

Hackett will be fine. Most play calling is planned during the week and the coach and OC do that togeather. Since they have a background togeather it will be great communications between the two. That is a big plus. Believe it will be an interesting season. Looks like this Marron guy has it togeather. Two big positions filled in one day and a very good DB coach also. When we have been down for so long it's good to feel good about our team. Until game one of 2013. Than we will know the rest of the storey.