Bills fans thoughts on new coaching staff so far??

mrags

Nathanial Hackett

This one concerns me. With a first time head coach on the sidelines, I was really hoping for some experience at the coordinator positions - especially in his first year.

I'm even more worried that Hackett comes from Syracuse too - and that people are now talking about us taking Ryan Nassib in the draft. What happens when an NFL defense throws something at us that they didn't see in the Big East? There is nobody to consult.

Getting a college coach from Syracuse to work out is one thing. But expecting (basically) the entire Syracuse offense to be successful in the NFL... that's quite another.

If they liked Hackett that much, I think they should have nabbed him as a position coach and groomed him to take over the job from someone with more experience.

Exaggerate much? Lol...

I question the OC hire....he may be too fresh..I would have liked it beeter having his father in as OC and him as QB coach......if it wasnt for his dad being who he was I would be even more livid.

Ditto, but I dunno are coaching instincts genetically inherited? At least he's over 21 and can drink with the team after practices. Edited by Best Player Available

I don't think we needed to rebuild. We were on the cusp of being a playoff team. Better QB play and better LB's and better play calling (more CJ!) and we could have been a wildcard team this year IMO. I don't agree with any of the moves they have made so far. I feel like we are starting over from scratch with this new coaching staff. I would have been much more conservative and hired Lovie, a proven OC, and traded for a veteran QB and I think we would have made the playoffs next year. Instead we are looking at yet another "rebuilding year" and a team that might be good 3 yrs or so down the line or might be back to square one again, especially if we end up starting a rookie QB. It's anybody's guess. We'll see!

I actually agree with this quote, and is the reason why I was thinking continuity was the way to go. However, it does not matter now I guess. I'm sticking with the Bills and their pick ups and catiously optimistic we are going in the right direction and are not going to fall into the class of coaches who fail their first time. Please please please let us be the exception rather than the rule!!!

So...three straight years of no more than 6 wins and we are on the cusp? A head coach that looked like a deer in the headlights and never ONCE reacted to a questionable penalty call was the direction we should have kept traveling? Wow. "In Chan We Trust" taken to a new level. I am guessing you both think Fitz was "on the verge" of breaking out as well...

So...three straight years of no more than 6 wins and we are on the cusp? A head coach that looked like a deer in the headlights and never ONCE reacted to a questionable penalty call was the direction we should have kept traveling? Wow. "In Chan We Trust" taken to a new level. I am guessing you both think Fitz was "on the verge" of breaking out as well...

No I actually named the changes they needed if you read. Lovie was a much safer choice and paired with a quality OC we could have grabbed a veteran qb and been in the playoffs next year, rather than starting over from scratch with a bunch of first time coaches and a rookie qb

Who cares anymore, they're gone. I wanted the continuity, but that's not going to happen. We have an exciting young coach now and hopefully he proves the BB front office correct. Sooner rather than later.

I'm usually optimistic, but those of you who frequent the board know even I had my fill this year -- a decision to give up my season tickets was, for the first time, a realistic proposition. That said, I'm pretty stoked about what has happened over the past nine days at OBD, from the announcement of Ralph's "retirement" to the coaching moves. I'm 43 and still consider myself a "kid" -- I love the talk about an analytics department, innovative strategies, and hiring coaches who don't qualify for social security. I don't think the Bills are "rebuilding" so much as they are "refreshing" the organization from the top down. It's invigorating. Can't wait to see what happens.

Exaggerate much? Lol...

Not only exaggerating but totally discounts that players play a large role in the success of any offense or defense.

I think Marrone will be very involved with play calling and game planning. Hackett and he will work together well. Marrone will take things he learned while working under Payton in N.O. and apply it in Buffalo. Marrone was Hackett 5 years ago in N.O. At least that is my thought as to why Marrone brought him in from 'Cuse.

I wish I lived there. I'd be a season ticket holder. This is a new approach, and I like it. Hire young smart guys who are geared to win. Go ahead and criticize Syracuse for being 25-25, but Greg Robinson, and NFL type guy, had a horrible run there in Orange country.

I'm all for this. I'm in 100%

I don't like it.

Hiring an unproven coach with a marginal record is a new approach?

A new approach would have been hiring a real NFL coach who has a staff of quality NFL assistants and probably bring some players with him. Instead we get a .500 college coach and his 33 year old side kick. The Pettrine hiring sounds interesting.

I would have thought that when the opportunity arose to hire a real NFL coach with a winning record and a trip to SB and whose team went 10-6 last year who was bringing his staff and contacts with him we would have jumped on it. It would have been like Christmas morning. I know many say we need new ideas blah blah blah. But I think a big part of the failure of the last 2 coaching staffs was due to the inability to attract quality assistant coaches and coordinators. With Lovie that problem is solved. You can have the best ideas but you don't have quality assistants who can implement it, it is for naught. Even if Marrone turns out to be great, if Hackett isn't, he's not.

But we got what we got. I hope it works.

Love it. So much better trying something new and different for a change. No retreads. Youth movement. HC, OC, DC. Never been fired anywhere before. Just moved upward and onward. Plus they all WANTED to be here, not nobody wants to come here so we get stuck with some old guys that are hanging on by a thread, Maybe we will get some accountability, better game management, some new ideas. They are all up and coming guys, smart with a high potential for future success. Sure there is some risk, just like with anything. I like the chances of success now infinitely better than I did a week ago and so much more than if they went "safe" with a Lovie Smith or a Ken Whisenhut. So much so in fact, I'm going back to season tickets after three years off. Now lets get a QB and some LB's and we are on our way....FINALLY.

I LOVE the moves so far. I was not a fan of hiring Lovie, which in many ways would have been the "safe" move, but there is a reason why he was fired and a reason why he is not favored for of any of the other open positions. He has had his chance. These are bold moves by the Bills, but measured and well reasoned. They have acted swiftly and decisively and in the process nabbed a HC who was on the the radar of multiple other teams, and a DC with exactly the kind of agressive and creative pedigree the Bills need, who also happens to be a key member of a rival's staff. I also love the OC hire for the reasons I have already posted in the Hackett thread. I think there are many reasons for optimism over these moves - not the same old Bills IMO. Of course, given history, our optimism should be tempered by wait and see, but I do not see anything to be upset about so far.

it's nice to see Buffalo "outfront" and decisive in their coaching search as compared to the rest of the league.

the head coach and defensive coordinator choices are solid.....the offensive coordinator choice is fresh but risky.....

they will only be successful if they get a FRANCHISE QB......

The Bills have done a lot better than I expected (but my expectations were extremely low).

There wasn't a sense that the Bills couldn't get anyone to come and coach this team like there was the last time. It's very suprising, in a positive way, that everything has come together so quickly. Marrone had other opportunities and chose to come to Buffalo.

Marrone's resume is just what they needed, too, an offensive-sided coach with head coaching experience. I like it that he brought Hackett with him. Pettine is a great choice for DC.

It's impossible to know exactly how things will turn out, good or bad, but I just have a better feeling about the direction the team is headed than I did a few weeks ago.

a lot of energy now feels good but really its a roll of the dice and we are at least two years away from knowing if it comes up heads or tails

I agree with your post except this last part. Put me in the camp that believes that this team is poised for a quick turnaround.

Love the concept of a coach/gm/staff with an average age under 75.

I love the talk about an analytics department, innovative strategies, and hiring coaches who don't qualify for social security. I don't think the Bills are "rebuilding" so much as they are "refreshing" the organization from the top down. It's invigorating. Can't wait to see what happens.

Good stuff.

I don't think we needed to rebuild. We were on the cusp of being a playoff team. Better QB play and better LB's and better play calling (more CJ!) and we could have been a wildcard team this year IMO. I don't agree with any of the moves they have made so far. I feel like we are starting over from scratch with this new coaching staff. I would have been much more conservative and hired Lovie, a proven OC, and traded for a veteran QB and I think we would have made the playoffs next year. Instead we are looking at yet another "rebuilding year" and a team that might be good 3 yrs or so down the line or might be back to square one again, especially if we end up starting a rookie QB. It's anybody's guess. We'll see!

There has been absolutely no indication from this coaching staff that this is going to be a "rebuilding year". What makes you think that hiring Lovie would not do a "rebuild". Every NFL HC is going to look at his stable of players and decide what needs to be done. This staff is yet to make a single Personnel move and you are already claiming that it will be a "rebuilding year".

I love the youth movement, and can't wait to see us get a real QB. QB and Coaches killed us this past season and it was disgusting to watch. Knowing that Chan would...

1. Pass on every 3rd and 1 (WTF)

2. Never take his deep shot on 2nd and 3 or less (WTF)

3. Get to the red zone and not even have his best offensive player on the field (WTF)

4. Go empty inside the 10 (WTF)

5. Put in FJax when Spiller was hot (WTF)

6. Never make an adjustment at Halftime (WTF)

7. Call a slant for your 6'7" TE inside the 5 instead of a fade or straight up jump ball when he was being covered by a small CB (WTF)

Knowing that Fitz...

1. Could not connect deep (WTF)

2. Would forget he had a 6'7" target on 3 downs (WTF)

3. could not run a hurry up if his life depended on it (WTF)

4. Throw that all to timely pick to seal our fate in a close game instead of give us a close win (WTF)

Knowing that Wanny...

1. Would not blitz (WTF)

2. Would not give safety help to Justin Rogers when he was forced into action (WTF)

3. Would not make adjustments (WTF)

4. Would be in soft coverage on 3rd and short (WTF)

5. Did not recognize that Bradham was better than Moats and Morrison earlier than he did(WTF)

6. Would not play Carrington more than what he did even though he was always making something happen when on the field (WTF)

Just overall frustrating to me. Those 3 guys ruined our season!!!

Go Bills!!!

exactly. upgrade at these spots and how many games do we win?

I love the youth movement, and can't wait to see us get a real QB. QB and Coaches killed us this past season and it was disgusting to watch. Knowing that Chan would...

1. Pass on every 3rd and 1 (WTF)

2. Never take his deep shot on 2nd and 3 or less (WTF)

3. Get to the reed zone and not even have his best offensive player on the field (WTF)

4. Go empty inside the 10 (WTF)

5. Put in FJax when Spiller was hot (WTF)

6. Never make an adjustment at Halftime (WTF)

7. Call a slant for your 6'7" TE inside the 5 instead of a fade or straight up jump ball when he was being covered by a small CB (WTF)

Knowing that Fitz...

1. Could not connect deep (WTF)

2. Would forget he had a 6'7" target on 3 downs (WTF)

3. could not run a hurry up if his life depended on it (WTF)

4. Throw that all to timely pick to seal our fate in a close game instead of give us a close win (WTF)

Knowing that Wanny...

1. Would not blitz (WTF)

2. Would not give safety help to Justin Rogers when he was forced into action (WTF)

3. Would not make adjustments (WTF)

4. Would be in soft coverage on 3rd and short (WTF)

5. Did not recognize that Bradham was better than Moats and Morrison earlier than he did(WTF)

6. Would not play Carrington more than what he did even though he was always making something happen when on the field (WTF)

Just overall frustrating to me. Those 3 guys ruined our season!!!

Go Bills!!!