Drayton Florence Released

Gotta say, Florence impressed me more for the way he appeared as a team leader, than he did on the field. He defitely had some good moments, but, IMO, was sub-standard last season...it may not have been all his fault, playing in an injury depleted unit, but he looked downrighht foolish out there at times...and the penalties!

I think this may be an indication that, maybe, just maybe, in addition to having faith in their young guys, maybe the braintrust isn't as done with Leodis McKelvin as the fan-base seems to be. Honestly, I think the guy still has a lot of upside...if he doesn't return to Buffalo in 2013, I have little doubt he will make an impact (positive) somewhere in the leauge.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked the guy, he seemed like a leader on the team. I think he will be missed as much for his character then his play.

Agreed. He is a good character guy and a leader. I think he would have been a good example for the younger guys. I would rather have them cut McKelvin, Mcgee or both. Florence is better than either one (McGee is probably slightly better when heatlhy, but he is NEVER healthy). This move is about money, not who is better. They Bills save $9m by dumping Florence.

He will sign on elsewhere and I believe his leadership will be missed.

Well, this leaves us with a very young defensive backfield.

I understand the move. Florence is an outside corner. He's not exceptional in TE coverage or in blitzing. So that does make him a bit conventional and also one dimensional. However as much as I understand the move, I don't like it. Drayton was by far our most consistent playmaker in our defensive backfield. He forced 4 turnovers last season and had 12 passes defended. Not to mention he hasn't missed a game since his first year with us. To put that into perspective, McGee has had only 11 passes defended in his last 3 seasons combined and has missed 22 games during that time period.

I would have parted ways with McGee before I let Drayton go.

Last season he was our #1 CB, I'm fine with him losing his job in camp to gilmore but I do not like this one bit. My philosophy is to keep the best as long as you can afford it. All I can say is that I am now hoping they sign someone and use that money. Maybe Byrd, Levitre, and F Jax?

I was upset when the Bills let Evans loose last year. This move is similar... cutting a classy guy who's got something left but on the downside of his career.

I'm wondering, why now? Are we giving Drayton an opportunity to hook up with another team? Or making cap space available for an imminent signing/resigning?

I'm not surprise Florence was cut, given the younger talent we have in the secondary. I am surprised at the timing. I thought Nix/Gailey/Wanny would want to watch these guys in training camp for a while before making the final decision about who needs to go (even if they suspected from the beginning Florence would be the odd man out).

I'm wondering, why now? Are we giving Drayton an opportunity to hook up with another team? Or making cap space available for an imminent signing/resigning?

I'm not surprise Florence was cut, given the younger talent we have in the secondary. I am surprised at the timing. I thought Nix/Gailey/Wanny would want to watch these guys in training camp for a while before making the final decision about who needs to go (even if they suspected from the beginning Florence would be the odd man out).

I'm thinking it's more of the former for the short term and the latter for the long term. As in, they are negotiating some extensions and know they will need the cap room down the road but instead of waiting and kind of screwing Florence over later in the off-season they just let him go now since he was probably #1 on the hit list with his salary and the depth at CB.

I was upset when the Bills let Evans loose last year. This move is similar... cutting a classy guy who's got something left but on the downside of his career.

The answer to both of your questions is Yes.

I feel the same way about bringing them all into camp and letting the cream rise to the top, but the Bills FO has other moves to make, and we are pretty stocked at CB right now.

I will say this, How great is it having Nix and Whaley building a team where we have so much talent, and even more talent that needs to be re-signed, that we have to let guys like Florence go? They really are sticking to plan and vision for building a team. I cant wait to see it play out on Sundays.

Go Bills!

Did not see that coming. Thought he would stay one more year.

Sad to see him go. Seemed like a good guy. I Know he did get burned alot last season, so that's the only reason I see for him getting let go.

I am glad he is gone. I was at the Bills/Giants game last year and he was horrible on coverage. The Giants were able to get a field goal at the end of the game due to two obvious pass interference penalties called on him.

Edited by ShelfromNJ

I'm thinking it's more of the former for the short term and the latter for the long term. As in, they are negotiating some extensions and know they will need the cap room down the road but instead of waiting and kind of screwing Florence over later in the off-season they just let him go now since he was probably #1 on the hit list with his salary and the depth at CB.

Yeah, I think it is both. Give the classy vet a chance to sign with another team just after the draft and before OTAs start. Plus open up some cash to start on Freddy and the guards and Byrd. I am somewhat surprised they havent released Edwards yet.

It's also a move for the future, IMO. To get Brooks and Williams on the field more and get more experience. I think Gilmore is a lock to start day one.

Florence must have regressed a lot since last season when they signed him to a 3 year 15M deal. Moreover, with the weak pass rush which registered 13 sacks sans the Washington game, it stands to reason CB play wasn't all to blame.

Opposing teams had a passer rating of 90.4 against the Bills last season, and they had a rating of 92.6 the year before that. Those are truly dreadful numbers. Yes, the pass rush was bad, but let's not kid ourselves: the corner play has sucked too. I don't know what games you defenders of Florence were watching last year, but to my eye he was dreadful - beaten like a drum on a weekly basis. The fact that the Bills gave him a pretty decent contract before the season began yet cut him just one year later suggests that they think he was utterly horrible too. As for the number of passes he defensed, remember that this stat is often a function of how often you get picked on by opposing QBs.

Edited by dave mcbride

Florence must have regressed a lot since last season when they signed him to a 3 year 15M deal. Moreover, with the weak pass rush which registered 13 sacks sans the Washington game, it stands to reason CB play wasn't all to blame.

I believe it was 10 sacks in that game, but I'm not really following what you meant with this post. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just confused as to what your point was.

As for Florence being released, I have to say that I am not surprised but I was not expecting it to be this early. I thought he would at least make it into training camp. The only reason that I wish we kept him is because he is a very active player with regards to interacting with fans and he truly embraced Buffalo and the people of WNY. He did have some below average moments (the multiple PI's that others have mentioned) and was probably making more money than he was worth. If Buddy felt that we could get better with the cap money that we saved from this move then I am behind the move. I do wish Drayton the best of luck with the rest of his career. Truly a class player and it was nice to have him in Buffalo while we did.

Not by a long shot. He was probably the most consistent corner on the team.

Most consistently getting those defensive holding penalties. Drove me CRAZY with all of those over the past 2 years. That should have been his middle name. Drayton "Defensive Holding" Florence. Yes he did make some big plays for us, but the penalties......well, thanks for your services DF. Wish the best for you at your next destination. Perhaps TB or Carolina.

The fact that the Bills gave him a pretty decent contract before the season began yet cut him just one year later suggests that they think he was utterly horrible too.

He was needed a year ago and after this draft, not so much. If the Bills had taken Mark Barron instead of Gilmore, he'd probably still be here.

Things change, that's the transitory nature of the NFL...

Edited by Lurker

He had a real rough 2011...At least at times he did..But this is likely a little more Cap related than anything...I knew The Bills were goign to start chopping some Cap dollars from Vets...But to be honest I never thought Florence would be one of them... B-)

If Revis played for the Bills the past two seasons he would have sucked too. When QBs can hold the ball for 5,6 or more seconds it becomes a lot harder on the corners. Don't like the move. Florence provided veteran leadership. If you have to make a cut then cut the weak link (McGee).

With that said, I think there's more cuts coming.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over?

His legs were gone, beaten numerous times by speed receivers last year. Saw this myself, been waiting for this to happen. Yes, he made plays, but got beat more times.......Great attitude, but bad wheels can't be hidden.

Does anyone remember the Giants game last year? Flo almost single-handedly cost us that game (combined with a couple of HORRID throws by Fitz). I liked him a lot but his play slipped. He got a couple of lucky, game-changing turnovers for us last year (NE, Philly), and his savvy and leadership will be missed.

Wow.

I like it though. I was not a big Florence fan. As long as McGee is healthy I am more than okay with this. I also think Leodis will be fine with a good pass rush.

Very classy official statement by Nix as well.

This is a very odd post. Certainly you watched the games last year, so you could/should have your own opinion on Florence's play. Is this a typical dig at the Bills' front office for the contract?

What exactly is your point?

Well, I'll have to man up because I thought there was no way we let Florence go this season and said it here many times. I was wrong.

I don't think Florence was the best corner on the team last year, but I also don't think he was the worst. He was steady, screwed up now and then, and took penalties at inopportune times (almost always on 3rd and long, it seemed). But he had a veteran leadership presence on the team, something I thought would be valuable this year as they bring the young guys along. McGee can help with that as well, but he's still recovering from an injury and who knows how long he'll last.

Florence, to me, was your basic steady but not spectacular corner who you could rely on for a few good plays and a few boneheaded plays every game. He had the advantage over others because he didn't totally suck (McKelvin) and he didn't get hurt (McGee). I see the reason for the move as we transition to faster, younger players with more upside, I just didn't think it would happen until next year. That's okay, though -- things move fast in the NFL now, and the coaches must really think the improved pass rush will help the younger guys out.

It still sucks because I liked having him on the team. And I've watched that INT-TD against the Pats* over and over again because it was AWESOME.

Edited by Rubes

Nix's statement:

“I want to thank Drayton for all he’s done for our team during his three years in Buffalo," said Bills GM Buddy Nix. "But we have some good, young talent at the cornerback position that has tremendous upside. They need to take as many of the reps at practice as they can to continue to develop that talent. Our defense has gone through a number of changes since the end of last season and we feel that it’s necessary to give these young corners the opportunity to be in the lineup.”

If you want to spin this as PR and call it a $$-saving move, that's your prerogative, but I think it makes sense. Give the young guys the snaps and get them ready for the season.

Well, I'll have to man up because I thought there was no way we let Florence go this season and said it here many times. I was wrong.

I don't think Florence was the best corner on the team last year, but I also don't think he was the worst. He was steady, screwed up now and then, and took penalties at inopportune times (almost always on 3rd and long, it seemed). But he had a veteran leadership presence on the team, something I thought would be valuable this year as they bring the young guys along. McGee can help with that as well, but he's still recovering from an injury and who knows how long he'll last.

Florence, to me, was your basic steady but not spectacular corner who you could rely on for a few good plays and a few boneheaded plays every game. He had the advantage over others because he didn't totally suck (McKelvin) and he didn't get hurt (McGee). I see the reason for the move as we transition to faster, younger players with more upside, I just didn't think it would happen until next year. That's okay, though -- things move fast in the NFL now, and the coaches must really think the improved pass rush will help the younger guys out.

Check out these numbers. Florence was the 9th worst CB in the entire league as far as passer rating against, with QBs throwing at a 103 rating against him. You may choose not to believe these numbers, and they are not official stats. But these guys do a great job IMO breaking stuff down to different stats.

And here are the highest (and worst) 10 ratings: (It's probably best for any Quentin Jammer fans to turn away)

RankNameTeamNFL Rating

1Quentin JammerSD129.9

2Captain MunnerlynCAR126.9

3E.J. BiggersTB119.2

4Cedric GriffinMIN114.1

5Justin KingSL113.1

6Kareem JacksonHST110.9

7Aqib TalibTB109.8

8Devin McCourtyNE106.2

9Drayton FlorenceBUF103.3

10Aaron RossNYG102.8

Numbers without context can be an awful thing and you can read a lot into what these say, but know that they're by no means definitive on their own or combined. We always prefer our grading in situations like this where context can be taken into account … a dropped pass when a cornerback was beaten, just what exactly the cornerback did to force an incompletion, and so on.

But numbers are fun, and while we wait for the divisional round of the playoffs (and before Tebow kills the internet), it doesn't hurt to have a look and make something out of them.

http://www.profootba...e-2011-numbers/

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well, this leaves us with a very young defensive backfield.

I understand the move. Florence is an outside corner. He's not exceptional in TE coverage or in blitzing. So that does make him a bit conventional and also one dimensional. However as much as I understand the move, I don't like it. Drayton was by far our most consistent playmaker in our defensive backfield. He forced 4 turnovers last season and had 12 passes defended. Not to mention he hasn't missed a game since his first year with us. To put that into perspective, McGee has had only 11 passes defended in his last 3 seasons combined and has missed 22 games during that time period.

I would have parted ways with McGee before I let Drayton go.

He did make some plays no one can argue that point. But he also had som euntimely penalties and gave up some bigger plays.

If McGee stays healthy he is a much more consistant CB then Florence. And with McGee's team friendly contract incase of injury, the writing was on the wall.

McKelvin has all the talent, but has displayed little mental apptitude thus far. The staff and front office is hoping this is the year McKelvin puts it together, and they use him for one more year.

Florence was for the most part a classy guy. He was smart enough to realize his age is robbing him of talent and thus needs to step up his presence as being a positive leader. I wish him well and i am sure he will be on another team by the end of the month.

Wow.

I like it though. I was not a big Florence fan. As long as McGee is healthy I am more than okay with this. I also think Leodis will be fine with a good pass rush.

I hope you're right. I really liked Florence, and can't stand McKelvin.

its disappointing after seeing how pumped up he was about the city and team this offseason, but you have to put the best players on the field.

Aye, he really was one of the team first guys. Must have been a total shock to him too. I mean if he'd gotten beat out out in camp, sure, but this is just wow.

Question: In this "horrible" season how many times was Drayton Florence beaten after 5 seconds and how many before?

The answer by the way is most were well after 5 seconds as QB were in the pocket going through their DVRs looking for something good . . . "Boardwalk Emprire is back awesome" . . . Looks like someone got open. . .

That is not Florence fault.

He would have been great veteran depth but this cut is likely a favor for Florence.

He'll have tome to get picked up by a team that has an injury at CB and play. Instead of fighting young bucs for a roster spot on a team that has the deck stacked against him. Clearly the Bills were looking for Gilmore and Williams to win the camp battle, now there is no battle. Gilmore and Williams will be the starters. Mc DrainBramage and the young Buc from LSU will be in the nickle and dime packages.

Last season he was our #1 CB, I'm fine with him losing his job in camp to gilmore but I do not like this one bit. My philosophy is to keep the best as long as you can afford it.

Agreed.

Check out these numbers. Florence was the 9th worst CB in the entire league as far as passer rating against, with QBs throwing at a 103 rating against him. You may choose not to believe these numbers, and they are not official stats. But these guys do a great job IMO breaking stuff down to different stats.

Stats are good for some things, but perhaps the kindest way to put it is that they only tell a small part of the whole story.

Many, many factors go into the overall evaluation of a player at any position. This is one factor that suggests he wasn't a top corner, but nobody is arguing that. And I wouldn't use it as the sole or even primary gauge of a CBs worthiness.

WOW! Not sure I get this move at all unless they are looking to bring someone else in and needed the money? Does this save them any cap space?

I highly doubt McGee is going to play this year, and wouldve kept Florence through camp. They must be happy going with Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin...

Wow.

I think this speaks volumes on how they feel about Ron Brooks. Curious, is rookie camp officially going on? I think it is, but admit I am not totally sure as I have been real busy this week and can't remember if it actually started yet. I think it has, and if so, one would think that Gilmore and Brooks may have made quite the impression making the one of the vets officially expendable which you gotta think was what they were hoping for when they took the 2 guys.

I believe it was 10 sacks in that game, but I'm not really following what you meant with this post. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just confused as to what your point was.

As for Florence being released, I have to say that I am not surprised but I was not expecting it to be this early. I thought he would at least make it into training camp. The only reason that I wish we kept him is because he is a very active player with regards to interacting with fans and he truly embraced Buffalo and the people of WNY. He did have some below average moments (the multiple PI's that others have mentioned) and was probably making more money than he was worth. If Buddy felt that we could get better with the cap money that we saved from this move then I am behind the move. I do wish Drayton the best of luck with the rest of his career. Truly a class player and it was nice to have him in Buffalo while we did.

10 sacks Washington game, 13 sacks other 15 games is basically what he's saying.