Drayton Florence Released

One of my all time favorite plays in Bills history. Starts at 2:04 in this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z8L5SXtS3yk

Did you see Jason Peters running stride for stride at the end of that play...Dumbest move of the last 5 years not to pay him the money he deserved...

It's sometimes respectful to give the guy a chance to find other work. And it looks like a class move to the rest of the players on the team and in the league, some of whom will be FA targets some day.

Exactly...class move by Nix and also maybe a subtle show of support to McElvin

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A year ago, they had no depth and were over a barrel. Now they're not.

Not that surprising, given what his cap hit was...

I don't remember; did Buddy re-sign Drayton before or after the draft last year? If it was before, then there are four new faces at CB who weren't there when that decision was made: Williams, Rogers, Gilmore, and Brooks. Completely changes the picture.

I don't remember; did Buddy re-sign Drayton before or after the draft last year? If it was before, then there are four new faces at CB who weren't there when that decision was made: Williams, Rogers, Gilmore, and Brooks. Completely changes the picture.

We're green at CB, but I think it's a very talented green.

It was on July 27th, but I suspect they didn't realize how fast Aaron Williams was going to develop...

Well after the draft. He came close to signing with the Jets but re-signed with the Bills like a week before camp opened.

GO BILLS!!!

Did you see Jason Peters running stride for stride at the end of that play...Dumbest move of the last 5 years not to pay him the money he deserved...

I remember a few times when Peters was in his first year on the active roster playing on the KO team when he was the first man down, and we had CBs and LBs and WRs on the KO team. It was amazing.

Bruce DeHaven made an interesting point recently that I read about how Mark Pike never ran under a 5.0 40 but was always the first guy downfield on KO because he ran full speed after the KR while everyone else ran to avoid getting blocked en route to the KR, or something to that affect.

Exactly...class move by Nix and also maybe a subtle show of support to McElvin

I think it's respect for Florence. They probably told him that they were not looking at him as a starter and released so he could look at his other options.

not surprised to see him go but timing is peculiar - would have thought they'd wait till camp to make sure they come through injury free but maybe he had a roster bonus coming up or they didn't want to risk him getting injured himself and being stuck with his salary on IR. Regardless, was too much money for a dime corner so the right move. Two more overpaid backup cuts to go (edwards and Johnston). Bills are in a good spot to get Freddie and others extended before the games kick off.

Completely disagree.

Peters wanted a huge contract and Philly gave it to him. They're paying him $60 million. Now that he ruptured his Achilles, he will have missed 22 games since he joined the Eagles only 4 years ago. He averaged 1.5 holding penalties and 5 false starts per year. He has given up an average of 4 sacks per year while with Philly. To put those statistics into perspective, Demetrius Bell had 0 false starts, 0 holding penalties, and gave up only 1/2 a sack last season. Chris Hairston had 2 false starts, 1 holding penalty, and gave up 4 sacks. In other words, Bell and has pitiful contract put up better numbers than Peters. Hairston and his pitiful contract put up the same numbers as $60 million Peters.

In exchange for Jason Peters, the Bills received the Eagles 28th overall pick. With that pick the Bills selected Eric Wood. He is a Pro Bowl Center and we signed him to a $9 million contract.

We effectively traded a good LT who wanted $60 million for a good Center who signed for $9 million. And our LT's are putting up similar or better numbers than Peters is in Philly. I would say the Bills made a very prudent move.

Edited by dogma+

I thought they should have kept him through camp. I think that putting Florence, McGee, and McKevlin all on the block would have pushed them in camp. By cutting him this early while it does free up practice time for Williams, Gilmore, and Brooks. I think that it maybe makes McGee and McKelvin a little more complacent. I know McGee just re-did his deal and McKevlin is younger and has shown more upside. But I thought Florence could battle those two and really push the others.

Completely disagree.

Peters wanted a huge contract and Philly gave it to him. They're paying him $60 million. Now that he ruptured his Achilles, he will have missed 22 games since he joined the Eagles only 4 years ago. He averaged 1.5 holding penalties and 5 false starts per year. He has given up an average of 4 sacks per year while with Philly. To put those statistics into perspective, Demetrius Bell had 0 false starts, 0 holding penalties, and gave up only 1/2 a sack last season. Chris Hairston had 2 false starts, 1 holding penalty, and gave up 4 sacks. In other words, Bell and has pitiful contract put up better numbers than Peters. Hairston and his pitiful contract put up the same numbers as $60 million Peters.

In exchange for Jason Peters, the Bills received the Eagles 28th overall pick. With that pick the Bills selected Eric Wood. He is an all-pro Center and we signed him to a $9 million contract.

We effectively traded a good LT who wanted $60 million for a good Center who signed for $9 million. And our LT's are putting up similar or better numbers than Peters is in Philly. I would say the Bills made a very prudent move.

I don't fact check, but one glaring exaggeration is Eric Wood being an all pro center. Someday maybe, but right now only in your own mind.

I don't fact check, but one glaring exaggeration is Eric Wood being an all pro center. Someday maybe, but right now only in your own mind.

I meant Pro Bowl. Mistyped.

Completely disagree.

I am on the fence about Peters. You can never predict injuries, but I always wondered if he was the kind of guy who would stay motivated. He has played well in Philly, at times, but from what I understand, he has had his bad games too...

I remember the season that JP joined the Eagles, they were playing on MNF. I was listening to the game in the car, and Boomer Esiason just cracked me up...Peters was having a rough game, and Esiason, always the straight-shooter said..."Jason Peters was an udrafted free agent tight end, in Buffalo...the Eagles signed him to a huge deal, the highest paid left tackle in the NFL..tonight, he looks more like an undrafted free-agent tight end...how much are they paying him?" :lol:

Edited by Buftex

It does not come as a shock that Florence was released... It will save the Bills 4 million dollar salary and the Bills have 6 strong CBs already on the roster... The 4 million can be used to help re-sign Freddy Jackson and or a free agent at QB or WR to help the two positions that the Bills fans seem weakest on the Bills roster at present...

He averaged 1.5 holding penalties and 5 false starts per year. He has given up an average of 4 sacks per year while with Philly. To put those statistics into perspective, Demetrius Bell had 0 false starts, 0 holding penalties, and gave up only 1/2 a sack last season. Chris Hairston had 2 false starts, 1 holding penalty, and gave up 4 sacks. In other words, Bell and has pitiful contract put up better numbers than Peters.

Hard to compare the sacks when they played in front of different QB's. An LT in front of Fitz should almost always give up less sacks than an LT in front of trent/vick.

Ah no, this thread got Peters'd.

Let me save you all the trouble: half of us think the Peters trade was horrible, the other half of us think it was good. Neither side will convince the other side, in this thread, or elsewhere. Let's not do this again.

Edited by Coach Tuesday