Drayton Florence Released

To me, McKelvin easily has the most talent, and he covered his man better than any CB we had. He had trouble locating the ball all season, but that totalled less than 10 plays that were blown WAY out of proportion. In the Raiders game especially, he got beat for three long passes IIRC and each one was a great throw and absolutely spectacular catch that is only made one out of 20 times. Sure, he should have made the play because he was in perfect position and just whiffed on the timing, but it still should not have been caught because he was right there. He was incredibly frustrating last year, but everyone of them was. I expect Leodis to be fine in a somewhat limited role, depending on McGee's health, Williams' progression and how fast Brooks gets up to speed. With our pass rush capability, all of our CBs should benefit greatly, and McLuvin has some balls skills despite the brainfarts he suffered last year.

Gosh, Kelly, I really hope so. I agree he's an incredible athlete and seems to be able to get in the right position. He made a huge INT across the middle early in the 2nd half against the Pats* that helped spark the comeback. But wow, his inability to pick up the ball down the sideline is maddening.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was horrible last year, and after several games he admitted as much. He was making too much money to play as inconsistently as he had.

Agree, good guy best of luck to him. He got toasted left and right getting old is not that fun. He was definetly horrible last year.

THE REIGN OF LEODIS MCKELVIN STARTS IN 2012! Haaaaaaaaa

My favorite Drayton Florence moment:

http://ssreporters.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/gif-of-the-day-mark-sanchez-is-terrified-by-drayton-florences-presence/

While it's easy to think he got caught up in the numbers game, I won't be surprised if he was let go to make room for someone else. We have 'numbers' at the CB position. Not a helluva lot of experience, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think it would be par for the course if McKelvin suddenly puts it all together and dominates this season...juuuuuuuuusssst in time for unrestricted free agency.

You assume he KNOWS about free agency.

:thumbsup:

I did not see this coming.

Of all the DB's in danger of being cut, I thought McKelvin was at the top of the list.

While it's true that Florence had his worst season as a Bill last year and he is on the wrong side of 30, IMO he was still our best CB.

So does this mean that McGee & McKelvin are the starters now?

I understand the move, but am a bit concerned at how green our secondary is now.

Best of luck to Drayton Florence. In a time when the Bills have made some terrible decisions, he was one of the better free agent pick-ups the Bills have made in recent times.

Great individual effort, but that was a kick to end the half and by getting tripped up at the end the Bills came up with squat for all that running around.

Yeah, that was such a drag when it was the end of the half. One of the greatest non-scoring plays ever. But you're really not blaming him for not getting by that guy, are you? ;) It was just a misfortunate thing as he ran out of gas.

I did not see this coming.

Of all the DB's in danger of being cut, I thought McKelvin was at the top of the list.

While it's true that Florence had his worst season as a Bill last year and he is on the wrong side of 30, IMO he was still our best CB.

So does this mean that McGee & McKelvin are the starters now?

I understand the move, but am a bit concerned at how green our secondary is now.

Best of luck to Drayton Florence. In a time when the Bills have made some terrible decisions, he was one of the better free agent pick-ups the Bills have made in recent times.

Gilmore is going to start day one from all indications out of the Bills. The second starter will likely depend on the health of McGee. If he is 100% he will likely start opposite Gilmore. If not, it will be between Leodis and Williams, with Williams likely the starter because they want to get him the snaps. He's going to be good, and as starters, Gilmore and Williams should make an excellent tandem, especially because of the likely pass rush.

Mckelvin seems better suited for nickel or dime zone, or slot. He was owned when asked to go man outside, santonio Holmes made him look on double moves repeatedly and didn't get his head around well.

Wanny's new scheme and the heathy + new additiond on the front 4 will definitely impact corner play.

Also McGee is around because he restructured his contract in feb for a fraction of the original deal. Had he not, he'd be gone already...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

In my opinion....it was going to be either Florence, McKelvin, or MgGee that was not going to make this team

- They probably figure that with McKelvin in his final year he is gonna play large trying to get a large contract

- They just resigned MgGee to that extension...and when healthy was our best corner last year

- That leaves Drayton....who I have no doubt would have played better this year with that new pass rush but he is getting older and was expensive

Releasing him now gives him time to get a good deal with another team...this release was to help Drayton out of respect.

It did.

That return is about as good as it gets. It really is a shame that he did not get in the endzone.

Yep. And I believe that came right before the half, right? Lateral!

Amazing return. Such vision.