Drayton Florence Released

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer. I liked Florence, and I loved the fact that he's all about intercepting Brady. True, he got burned a fair amount last year, and probably was making too much, but it's still sad to see him go. Best of luck to him at his next stop, unless he signs with the Pats.

Florence was also one of the first players to go nuts on Twitter when the Bills released Lee Evans. I'm sure that wasn't lost on Mr. Nix or Mr. Brandon.

His play didn't justify his salary so either he was due a roster bonus or they're making room for someone else. Perhaps and offer to Young?

While I agree his salary didnt justify his roster spot with the two rookies coming in, Young would very likely be signed for less money than Thigpen is making and they wouldn;t keep both. So I doubt that's it. But we do want to pay Freddy, as well as Byrd, Levitre, Urbik and Rinehart. So we're going to need some cash. For the first time in forever, mostly because of the Mario and Stevie deals, plus Anderson, the Bills have to think about not having the money to sign everyone we want to.

WOW! Not sure I get this move at all unless they are looking to bring someone else in and needed the money? Does this save them any cap space?

I highly doubt McGee is going to play this year, and wouldve kept Florence through camp. They must be happy going with Gilmore, Williams, McKelvin...

Wow.

CAP money was 5 mil... with 1/3 mil dead money so CAP savings is 3.5 and change. So yea I am not too surprised... Now Cut Edwards and maybe even Spence. That would be 11.5 mil in cap space with the 9 we already have before signing rookies.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

I guess there is always a chance he is brought back later, under another deal?

CAP money was 5 mil... with 1/3 mil dead money so CAP savings is 3.5 and change. So yea I am not too surprised... Now Cut Edwards and maybe even Spence. That would be 11.5 mil in cap space with the 9 we already have before signing rookies.

Thanks dude!

Any of our numbers guys have any insight on how much cap space this frees up for Freddy, Levitre, Byrd, etc?

I don't know how accurate these numbers are:

Florence, Drayton CB $4,000,000 $666,666 $250,000 $0 $0 $4,916,666 $1,333,334 $3,583,332

The bolded figure is what we would save according to this site.

http://nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

Any of our numbers guys have any insight on how much cap space this frees up for Freddy, Levitre, Byrd, etc?

I dnk know how on point this site is but he keeps it up to date and should be good.

He estimates 9 mil needed on cap to sign all rookies which is about all we have... We save 3.5 cutting DF so after signing rookies only 3.5 under cap but like I mentioned before we could save 8 mil by cutting Spence and Edwards... Also Thigpen is 2 mil...

I guess there is always a chance he is brought back later, under another deal?

Thanks dude!

Doubt it. They cut him this early so they could give him a chance to catch on with another team. He'll be gone in a few days for vet league min.

I always liked Drayton, but he's getting older and older and his play last season was definitely shaky. Odds are he would have had a decent bounce back season with our improved pass rush, but then again the younger guys will also look pretty good and are under contract longer.

As he said in his tweet, its business.

I wonder if a signing is pending...

Thats the first thing i thought too. I'm sorry guys but the odds are that Terrence will be hurt again, which leaves us awfully thin at experienced corners. I like the idea of williams, gilmore, rogers, brooks and company, but these guys have a total of like a 15 NFL games under their belt. Leodis is just so inconsistent it's hard to see us relying on a guy we benched midseason (including the nickel sets) to be our veteran corner.

Maybe the CB spot is more instinct and uncoachable stuff and the management thinks our rookies can perform but to release Florence now instead of seeing how thing shake out in camp tells me they have targeted another experienced corner.

If they can get someone who would play like Florence when he first came to Buffalo I'd be very happy.

I dnk know how on point this site is but he keeps it up to date and should be good.

He estimates 9 mil needed on cap to sign all rookies which is about all we have... We save 3.5 cutting DF so after signing rookies only 3.5 under cap but like I mentioned before we could save 8 mil by cutting Spence and Edwards... Also Thigpen is 2 mil...

Wait no he is only saying 6 mil for rookies... Sorry.

I understand the move, but hard to see him leave after how encouraging he's been to our FA's. That being said, I'm loving the youth movement and I think we may have one of the best secondaries in the NFL if these young kids pan out.

Thanks for the memories, DF! Best of luck!