Drayton Florence Released

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its disappointing after seeing how pumped up he was about the city and team this offseason, but you have to put the best players on the field.

Pretty much how I feel. I knew either him or mckelvin would get cut. I thought it would happen in camp, and it would be mckelvin.

I am not saying the bills are wrong, but I would have waited until camp to make sure mgee doesn't injure himself. My guess is they need the roster spot for another player to bring in if they did it that early

I think this speaks volumes on how they feel about Ron Brooks. Curious, is rookie camp officially going on? I think it is, but admit I am not totally sure as I have been real busy this week and can't remember if it actually started yet. I think it has, and if so, one would think that Gilmore and Brooks may have made quite the impression making the one of the vets officially expendable which you gotta think was what they were hoping for when they took the 2 guys.

Yeah, that post was mere minutes after the news broke. Given a few minutes (hours) to talk and think about it, it makes a lot more sense. Was just a shocking way to start the day.

I like the idea of Gilmore/Williams/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers (probably in that order) to start the year. With Brooks possibly even jumping over McKelvin by the end of season.

I think any talk or even hope that McGee plays is ridiculous. It will be a bonus (maybe), but he shouldnt be in any plans. And from the sound of Nix's statement, he isnt.

Edited by DrDareustein

Stats are good for some things, but perhaps the kindest way to put it is that they only tell a small part of the whole story.

Many, many factors go into the overall evaluation of a player at any position. This is one factor that suggests he wasn't a top corner, but nobody is arguing that. And I wouldn't use it as the sole or even primary gauge of a CBs worthiness.

Totally agree. I wouldnt use it even as a primary reason. Personally, I didnt like Florence from watching the games or these stats, and I am one that believes stats can often be misleading. I just thought these were interesting because you never see stuff like this, the passer rating against. And the yards against.

Many factors surely went into Florence's release. Talent, production, age, salary, other vets and other young pups on the roster. None of them were really in Drayton's favor at this point in his career. I wish him well. Great guy and great ambassador to Buffalo.

Pretty much how I feel. I knew either him or mckelvin would get cut. I thought it would happen in camp, and it would be mckelvin.

I am not saying the bills are wrong, but I would have waited until camp to make sure mgee doesn't injure himself. My guess is they need the roster spot for another player to bring in if they did it that early

People, please realize that there is little to no chance of cutting McKelvin this year. WHY would we cut him when he is going into his contract year and is most motivated to play well??? This almost never happens in the NFL and makes no sense. Just because he didnt turn on some balls doesnt mean he is that horrible. With a pass rush, his play will go up.

Yeah, that post was mere minutes after the news broke. Given a few minutes (hours) to talk and think about it, it makes a lot more sense. Was just a shocking way to start the day.

I like the idea of Gilmore/Williams/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers (probably in that order) to start the year. With Brooks possibly even jumping over McKelvin by the end of season.

I think any talk or even hope that McGee plays is ridiculous. It will be a bonus (maybe), but he shouldnt be in any plans. And from the sound of Nix's statement, he isnt.

Am I missing something about McGee? Why do you think he won't play? I thought he was expected to be ready for camp...has there been a setback I missed?

Well, I'll have to man up because I thought there was no way we let Florence go this season and said it here many times. I was wrong.

I don't think Florence was the best corner on the team last year, but I also don't think he was the worst. He was steady, screwed up now and then, and took penalties at inopportune times (almost always on 3rd and long, it seemed). But he had a veteran leadership presence on the team, something I thought would be valuable this year as they bring the young guys along. McGee can help with that as well, but he's still recovering from an injury and who knows how long he'll last.

Florence, to me, was your basic steady but not spectacular corner who you could rely on for a few good plays and a few boneheaded plays every game. He had the advantage over others because he didn't totally suck (McKelvin) and he didn't get hurt (McGee). I see the reason for the move as we transition to faster, younger players with more upside, I just didn't think it would happen until next year. That's okay, though -- things move fast in the NFL now, and the coaches must really think the improved pass rush will help the younger guys out.

It still sucks because I liked having him on the team. And I've watched that INT-TD against the Pats* over and over again because it was AWESOME.

This is a good view of how I feel. I would just like to add, He wasn't the best or the worst, but he was the best one that stayed healthy all season. Staying healthy and playing decent doesn't sound valuable, but on this team with the injuries they have, it is very important to this team. I thouht he would have been a good backup

I think this speaks volumes on how they feel about Ron Brooks. Curious, is rookie camp officially going on? I think it is, but admit I am not totally sure as I have been real busy this week and can't remember if it actually started yet. I think it has, and if so, one would think that Gilmore and Brooks may have made quite the impression making the one of the vets officially expendable which you gotta think was what they were hoping for when they took the 2 guys.

Rookies aren't reporting for the Bills til May 11 per this link.

Link

Adam Schefter also reported that 9 teams started rookie mini camps and the Bills weren't listed as one.

Am I missing something about McGee? Why do you think he won't play? I thought he was expected to be ready for camp...has there been a setback I missed?

Am I missing something about McGee that would lead you to believe he will play? :P

He was "ready" for last season too. And he was "ready" for the season before that.

McGee is going to be 32 this season and already has a history of all sorts of injuries that seem to linger. I doubt he physically makes it through camp. And frankly, I think both Gilmore and Williams are better right now.

Couple that with Nix's statement about how important it is for the youngsters to get as many reps as possible, and I just dont see McGee in the plans.

Maybe keep him around as a Dime back?

Edited by DrDareustein

Mcgee always gets.injured. it is not if he gets injured, its when. Whenever he gets back on the field he barely last a full game

Link

Adam Schefter also reported that 9 teams started rookie mini camps and the Bills weren't listed as one.

Thanks for the update, was not sure yet as I knew it was coming up and some had started.

Mcgee always gets.injured. it is not if he gets injured, its when. Whenever he gets back on the field he barely last a full game

Am I missing something about McGee that would lead you to believe he will play? :P

He was "ready" for last season too. And he was "ready" for the season before that.

McGee is going to be 32 this season and already has a history of all sorts of injuries that seem to linger. I doubt he physically makes it through camp. And frankly, I think both Gilmore and Williams are better right now.

Couple that with Nix's statement about how important it is for the youngsters to get as many reps as possible, and I just dont see McGee in the plans.

Maybe keep him around as a Dime back?

I understand that, your posts just read as if something already had happened. So was wondering if I missed something.

Anyway, Gilmore and Williams are your starters, McGee is your nickel, Brooks and McKelvin battle for dime. Williams, Gilmore and McGee IMO will be the top 3 week 1. I think Brooks may be brought along slower than Gilmore simply because we have the depth, so McKelvin likely is the 4th guy in dime with Brooks getting some reps and a ton on ST. If McKelvin doesnt improve, Brooks will over take him during the season if he doesnt outright beat him out in camp.

Then if McGee goes down McKelvin/Brooks will slide into the nickel packages.

For me, Florence was the worst DB on the roster that was going to compete for real playing time. So, it was always going to be him or McKelvin IMO and they did him a favor of cutting him now so he has plenty of time to find another team and get ready for camp.

Link

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread, but anyone have any idea why some teams start early and some dont? Do we get more practices later? It would seem like we'd want to get the tea together as early and as often as possible...

I understand that, your posts just read as if something already had happened. So was wondering if I missed something.

Anyway, Gilmore and Williams are your starters, McGee is your nickel, Brooks and McKelvin battle for dime. Williams, Gilmore and McGee IMO will be the top 3 week 1. I think Brooks may be brought along slower than Gilmore simply because we have the depth, so McKelvin likely is the 4th guy in dime with Brooks getting some reps and a ton on ST. If McKelvin doesnt improve, Brooks will over take him during the season if he doesnt outright beat him out in camp.

Then if McGee goes down McKelvin/Brooks will slide into the nickel packages.

For me, Florence was the worst DB on the roster that was going to compete for real playing time. So, it was always going to be him or McKelvin IMO and they did him a favor of cutting him now so he has plenty of time to find another team and get ready for camp.

Ah, I got ya. That's why I said earlier if McGee can play it would be a bonus. Im approaching it with a "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst" attitude, and I think putting any hopes or plans on McGee will only lead to setbacks down the road.

Maybe if he doesnt have to start he will hold up better with less reps. We'll see.

Go Bills!

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread, but anyone have any idea why some teams start early and some dont? Do we get more practices later? It would seem like we'd want to get the tea together as early and as often as possible...

Go Bills!

Well my guess would be that is one thought.

Another thought is to have practices closer together, so players remember things and are in better shape. Less time between OTA's and Training Camp. The later they start the closer to training camp the OTA's would be.

Ah, I got ya. That's why I said earlier if McGee can play it would be a bonus. Im approaching it with a "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst" attitude, and I think putting any hopes or plans on McGee will only lead to setbacks down the road.

Maybe if he doesnt have to start he will hold up better with less reps. We'll see.

Go Bills!

Yeah, I think McGee is all but certain to not be a starter this year unless Gilmore or Williams struggle bad in camp (which I seriously doubt). So, I am more optimistic he can make it through a season with less reps.

Remember Fred Taylor? He was labeled fragile because he had a few years in a row where he was always hurt. Ironically, in his older years he never got hurt. So, crossing fingers McGee can do the same because as much as I love our young DB's, a talented vet is going to be important this next year.

Dont be surprised if you see McGee get some reps at FS either this year or next too to try and prolong his career. He has the skill set to make the transition and it is just pure speculation on my part right now, but I can see this happening.

Most consistently getting those defensive holding penalties. Drove me CRAZY with all of those over the past 2 years. That should have been his middle name. Drayton "Defensive Holding" Florence. Yes he did make some big plays for us, but the penalties......well, thanks for your services DF. Wish the best for you at your next destination. Perhaps TB or Carolina.

You must be thinking of someone else. Florence had 11 penalties called against him last season, and only 1 was for defensive holding.

3 of them in the Cinci game. Neutral Zone Infraction, Offensive holding (on a punt), and Illegal Use of Hands.

2 against the Giants. Both pass interference. He actually apologized after this game and said the loss was on his shoulders.

1 against Miami (first game). Defensive holding. But it was overturned when the play was ruled uncatchable.

1 against the Titans, Unnecessary Roughness. Same penalty was called on a Titans player. Penalties offset.

2 against Dolphins. Unnecessary Roughness and Pass interference.

2 against Pats. Illegal Contact, and Personal Foul (after the play).

Edited by dogma+