Drayton Florence Released

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. And I believe that came right before the half, right? Lateral!

Amazing return. Such vision.

Fantastic return. I'd guess it's the best NFL kick return to result in no points.

And McGee's in the YouTube video with another nice TD return at the 3:00 mark.

Wow.

I like it though. I was not a big Florence fan. As long as McGee is healthy I am more than okay with this. I also think Leodis will be fine with a good pass rush.

Leodis' main problem IMHO was not coverage. He was frequently in a good spot until the last second, then WHAM! I don't know whether it's an inability to read a receiver's eyes, track the ball...I don't know. A decent rush will mean that he doesn't have to cover as long, but he better know what to do when the ball is in the air.

<edit>sorry, you've said much the same already.

Edited by Beerball
late to the party

In a pinch McGee certainly could do it. Man, was he something special on KR duties back in da day...

If he stayed healthy I believe he would have set a few records. He was fun to watch on KO returns.

Why would Bills cut him now? Guys get hurt all the time in OTA's and training camp. Must have been money related. Maybe freeing up some money for a Vince Young signing or a Fred extension.

It's sometimes respectful to give the guy a chance to find other work. And it looks like a class move to the rest of the players on the team and in the league, some of whom will be FA targets some day.

Why would Bills cut him now? Guys get hurt all the time in OTA's and training camp. Must have been money related. Maybe freeing up some money for a Vince Young signing or a Fred extension.

Yeah, 8 pages is a lot to read through, but I believe around page 3 we figured out it saves the Bills $9mil over the next 2 years. That will go to signing Freddy, Levitre, Byrd, etc.

And is a class move by the Bills allowing Florence to find another team early.

He had a real rough 2011...At least at times he did..But this is likely a little more Cap related than anything...I knew The Bills were goign to start chopping some Cap dollars from Vets...But to be honest I never thought Florence would be one of them... B-)

Could Kelsay be next? I know it's wishful thinking, but the Bills will turn the corner when he is gone.

One of my all time favorite plays in Bills history. Starts at 2:04 in this.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z8L5SXtS3yk

Great individual effort, but that was a kick to end the half and by getting tripped up at the end the Bills came up with squat for all that running around.

I FLIPPED OUT after that play...unBELIEVABLE individual effort, but Jesus...

Could Kelsay be next? I know it's wishful thinking, but the Bills will turn the corner when he is gone.

Very possibly. He is the worst DE on the team right now and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it through Training Camp.

Up until this morning, I would have said "No way. He'll be kept for depth", but now there is no telling. Although we do not have the stocked, talented youth at DE like we do at CB so it's a bit different. I'm guessing Nix and Whaley know your strength comes from the insides-out, so I doubt they let any DL go.

Florence was also one of the first players to go nuts on Twitter when the Bills released Lee Evans. I'm sure that wasn't lost on Mr. Nix or Mr. Brandon.

His play didn't justify his salary so either he was due a roster bonus or they're making room for someone else. Perhaps and offer to Young?

Remember the famous youtube video where he made Sanchez flinch? Yeah, Sanchez flinched, then pushed Drayton 14 yards downfield. He responded by taking a penalty. Pure genius!

youtube.com/watch?v=r2iFLQqpDlI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Florence didn't take the penalty, he was held by Sanchez and the holding penalty was called on Sanchez.

I don't like this move. Both CB's we drafted, regardless of their potential, have never played a down in the NFL. McGee is always one play away from IR. McKelvin can't be counted on.

I just feel that Drayton was the most reliable of any of our CB's. Now the position is in even bigger question mark.

I don't like this move. Both CB's we drafted, regardless of their potential, have never played a down in the NFL. McGee is always one play away from IR. McKelvin can't be counted on.

I just feel that Drayton was the most reliable of any of our CB's. Now the position is in even bigger question mark.

I have felt the same way, but it seems this to be a minority opinion.

McGee injured, not starter.

McLuvin, just not starter.

We will see. Expect some mistakes by rookie and 2nd year DBs.

Yeah, 8 pages is a lot to read through, but I believe around page 3 we figured out it saves the Bills $9mil over the next 2 years. That will go to signing Freddy, Levitre, Byrd, etc.

And is a class move by the Bills allowing Florence to find another team early.

It's great that Freddy will see some extra coin, but it's really nice to see (I'm assuming of course) that Levitre and Byrd are in their plans to be extended. If the Bills start winning some more, Levitre will become a common fixture at the Pro Bowl or whatever they're gonna do now that they won't be going to Hawaii.

Smart move. Best of luck Drayton.

Young guys, time to step up. Just another storyline that will make this season that much more interesting.

Joining the party a little late on this one, but I am sad to see him go. He was a great ambassador to the city, he loved playing here and he loved us the fans. Last season was a rough one for him, tough to say how much was him and how much was the lack of pass rush. When he was an FA lots of us wanted him resigned and the Jets were the team bidding against us. We all knew that there would be some tough cuts this year. I thought that DFLO was on the bubble, but expected him to be kept for the veteran presence. I love McGee, but he is always hurt and McK was benched and also is in the last year of his deal. I like that we are doing this now to allow him to catch on to a team; it is a classier way to wish him well then waiting till camp. The younger guys have me excited, but I am still sad to see a fan favorite go. Let's face it for the first time in how long money and cap space matters.

In any event I wish you the best D-Flo! :beer:

doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. now, i can understand Buddy cutting Florence for the same reason he cut Hangartner prior to last season: he wasn't a good enough player. but then, if buddy didn't think florence good enough, why resign him in the first place, only to cut him after one season after a multi-year extension? the Front Office constantly preaches depth, depth, depth, and Florence certainly gave the Bills depth. i hope the secondary isn't ravaged by injuries again this year... Florence was an average corner, but he was physical [and, might i add, fiercely competitive!] and could make plays from time to time... he might even be better with the improved D-Line... very strange to cut ties with him...

Edited by applescruff

doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. now, i can understand Buddy cutting Florence for the same reason he cut Hangartner prior to last season: he wasn't a good enough player. but then, if buddy didn't think florence good enough, why resign him in the first place, only to cut him after one season after the multi-year extension.? the Front Office constantly preaches depth, depth, depth, and Florence certainly gave the Bills depth. hope the secondary isn't ravaged by injuries again this year... Florence was an average corner, but he was physical and could make plays from time to time... he might even be better with the improved D-Line... very strange to cut ties with him...

A year ago, they had no depth and were over a barrel. Now they're not.

Not that surprising, given what his cap hit was...