Drayton Florence Released

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I like it though. I was not a big Florence fan. As long as McGee is healthy I am more than okay with this. I also think Leodis will be fine with a good pass rush.

When was the last time McGee was healthy, and no, MvLuvin won't be fine, he's horrible and the coaches know it.

<_<

His legs were gone, beaten numerous times by speed receivers last year. Saw this myself, been waiting for this to happen. Yes, he made plays, but got beat more times.......Great attitude, but bad wheels can't be hidden.

I thought he would make it through one more season.

BTW I am sure we are in for some more shockers.

Any predictions?

Edited by jjmac

When was the last time McGee was healthy, and no, MvLuvin won't be fine, he's horrible and the coaches know it.

<_<

Well Nix said last week that he expects McKelvin to play well, so I will go by that rather than you telling me the coaches know it. ;)

Well Nix said last week that he expects McKelvin to play well, so I will go by that rather than you telling me the coaches know it. ;)

Haven't we all been expecting McKelvin to play well?

I really didn't like Florence's holding and pass interference calls but I still feel for the guy cuz he and his family probably talked about the upcoming season with all the additions to the team and more than likely was excited...

The reason why I like this move is not because of hatred for Drayton, but more so a great business move... We can sign half of our rookies just with that release...

The release of Drayton also allows the younger players to make a name for themselves. This move pretty much guarantees McGee and Aaron will be the two starters unless Gilmore flat out is outstanding. I don't see McKelvin getting a starter role (at least I hope not).

Can't say I'm shocked. Thanks for the interception and return against the Patriots, buddy!

I could see a team giving him a one- or two-year deal at this stage of his career, but it's a real possibility that this could mark the end of the line for Florence.

I think a team will give him more than that. I think he has a lot of gas left in the tank, and unlike some here I think he was out best CB. That said, time to move on and let the new guys learn on the job.

Tim-

Well put. However, McKelvin was taken out of cover duties, basically benched that I recall, and the Bills just drafted a top

10 DB.

They can say they expect him to play well, but they are acting like it. IMO.

Haven't we all been expecting McKelvin to play well since his rookie year? I am not convinced that he will be any better this year than last when he was regularly toasted. In the Raiders game he was beaten consistently by a rookie 5th rounder and Jason Campbell. I do not think he turns it around this year any more than he did last year or the year before that.

Not to change the subject or hijack the thread, but anyone have any idea why some teams start early and some dont? Do we get more practices later? It would seem like we'd want to get the tea together as early and as often as possible...

IIRC, this is the first time the camp hasn't been the weekend immediately after the draft. Seems odd, but maybe there are some commencement conflicts they're trying to avoid (South Carolina's is on the 5th, so maybe they want Gilmore here)...

Edited by Lurker

To me, McKelvin easily has the most talent, and he covered his man better than any CB we had. He had trouble locating the ball all season, but that totalled less than 10 plays that were blown WAY out of proportion. In the Raiders game especially, he got beat for three long passes IIRC and each one was a great throw and absolutely spectacular catch that is only made one out of 20 times. Sure, he should have made the play because he was in perfect position and just whiffed on the timing, but it still should not have been caught because he was right there. He was incredibly frustrating last year, but everyone of them was. I expect Leodis to be fine in a somewhat limited role, depending on McGee's health, Williams' progression and how fast Brooks gets up to speed. With our pass rush capability, all of our CBs should benefit greatly, and McLuvin has some balls skills despite the brainfarts he suffered last year.

I hope that this is a good move, but I am not sure. A lot of our deficiencies in pass defending were the result of our horrible pass rush. I thought with our off season additions, each of our DBs would be a lot more productive.

I have not read this thread (not enough time), but I presume that the Bills may have asked him to re-do his contract and he did no want to -- just speculation on my part.

The good news for the other DBs -- particularly the younger ones - is that they get more reps to prepare for the season.

The good news for Drayton is that he has plenty of time to hook up with another team.

Most consistently getting those defensive holding penalties. Drove me CRAZY with all of those over the past 2 years. That should have been his middle name. Drayton "Defensive Holding" Florence. Yes he did make some big plays for us, but the penalties......well, thanks for your services DF. Wish the best for you at your next destination. Perhaps TB or Carolina.

You must be thinking of someone else. Florence had 11 penalties called against him last season, and only 1 was for defensive holding.

3 of them in the Cinci game. Neutral Zone Infraction, Offensive holding (on a punt), and Illegal Use of Hands.

2 against the Giants. Both pass interference. He actually apologized after this game and said the loss was on his shoulders.

1 against Miami (first game). Defensive holding. But it was overturned when the play was ruled uncatchable.

1 against the Titans, Unnecessary Roughness. Same penalty was called on a Titans player. Penalties offset.

2 against Dolphins. Unnecessary Roughness and Pass interference.

2 against Pats. Illegal Contact, and Personal Foul (after the play).

:lol::lol: Fans always marginalize good play and exaggerate deficiencies whenever a player is shown the door.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised - I thought Flo would have made a great nickel corner. McGee is the better player, but his injury history made me think he was the one on the chopping block.

I think one advanced metric website had Drayton Florence rated as like the 100 best qualifying CB or something last year based on his performance. Basically his performance was below average for a starting CB, given his contract cutting him makes sense.

I really though McKelvin showed us a little something last year, I thought he might of been our best/consistent CB all year.

I know everyone is really high on A Williams but to be honest I didn't see anything from his rookie year that has me convinced he will be a top end CB talent in the league. I'm not saying he won't become a good corner, just stating that his rookie year was uninspiring....