Drayton Florence Released

1) You've gone back and forth on this several times so which one is it?

Were you the scout or was your Dad?. I don't care how many hours you claim to have watched by his side… if you didn't get a paycheck for doing it, you're not an NFL scout…

I did receive a paycheck. I was paid as a Scout assistant, not a scout. You thought I spent 13 years of my life reviewing film for free?

And now coaches are not good film evaluators? According to you maybe but you seem to have an inflated value of your own abilities while looking down on the evaluation abilities of virtually everyone else. It's a strange world where a fan can make the claim that an NFL scout is not a good "film evaluator."

No, coaches are not good film evaluators. That's why there are seperate titles for scouts and coaches. That's why coaches aren't GM's. That's why owners are reluctant to give GM powers to even the best of coaches.

I never said a scout is not a good evaluator.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did receive a paycheck. I was paid as a Scout assistant, not a scout. You thought I spent 13 years of my life reviewing film for free?

No, coaches are not good film evaluators. That's why there are seperate titles for scouts and coaches. That's why coaches aren't GM's. That's why owners are reluctant to give GM powers to even the best of coaches.

If I can paraphrase...I think dogma is saying coaches are not good film evaluators for the purpose of drafting. Obviously coaches are great game film evaluators.

Just drawing from personal experience. See above. :thumbsup:

Who looks at game film all week during the season?

You're right; I didn't have the title. I just did all the work.

I knew it was a mistake to register here. I tried to get my father to join as well but he said this exact thing would happen. To quote his favorite line, "Im only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand."

Next time an NFL team makes a decision that you don't understand, remember that there is a difference between what fans think and what is actually true. As Marv Levy said, "You start listening to the fans, and you'll eventually end up sitting with them." Goodbye.

It wasn't a mistake to register here at all. It was a mistake to be Mitt Romney.

I hope you stay. You do know football and have said a dozen things that were very acute about the game. But tooting your horn, changing your story, and acting like a know-it-all just lets posters like me and others here call you on it.

It's a tough board for tough people.

Well dogma, I'm glad you signed on and I know you have a lot to offer the board here but the sledding can be pretty rough at first, especially if you're articulate, knowledgable, and opinionated.

As one of our posters says, "It's a tough board for tough people."

Well dogma, I'm glad you signed on and I know you have a lot to offer the board here but the sledding can be pretty rough at first, especially if you're articulate, knowledgable, and opinionated.

I knew my mom was right.

Who looks at game film all week during the season?

A film assistant chops up the game into down, distance, and situation. It's then split into groups (offensive line, WR...etc) and the players and position coach review assignments together.

There is very little talent evaluation during a season. YOu have 1 or 2 days tops film review during an NFL week, Once again, there's a reason why coaches aren't GM's.

I appreciate that San Jose, but I'm too old to be ridiculed and made a game of. The "I'm a GM, I'm a commissioner" game is just childish.

I appreciate that San Jose, but I'm too old to be ridiculed and made a game of. The "I'm a GM, I'm a commissioner" game is just childish.

As the saying goes, men are just grown-up boys.

Then when you add the internet, it takes it to a whole other level.

You're right about that sir.

Had I known you'd be pissed about that, I probably would have refrained. Just don't call Fitzy "Fitzgibbons", or the board will explode with every online comedian out there. With impressive results, I might add.

A film assistant chops up the game into down, distance, and situation. It's then split into groups (offensive line, WR...etc) and the players and position coach review assignments together.

I've wondered about this for a while. Do some teams have people and equipment that allows them to do a better job of doing this kind of grunt work? Is this one of those things that the big budget teams can spend a lot of money on, and possibly be slightly better prepared because of it? Do the teams have multiple people specializing in editing certain aspects of the game so that the appropriate coaches and players can quickly look at what is relevant for them? I doubt that those kinds of thinks make a big difference, but maybe in some cases it could help. For example, there was that story about a guy working with Maybin last year, and supposedly they looked at a lot of game film together. Thanks for any reply.

Had I known you'd be pissed about that, I probably would have refrained. Just don't call Fitzy "Fitzgibbons", or the board will explode with every online comedian out there. With impressive results, I might add.

I'm not pissed, but it is insulting. I'm not a liar.

I've wondered about this for a while. Do some teams have people and equipment that allows them to do a better job of doing this kind of grunt work? Is this one of those things that the big budget teams can spend a lot of money on, and possibly be slightly better prepared because of it? Do the teams have multiple people specializing in editing certain aspects of the game so that the appropriate coaches and players can quickly look at what is relevant for them? I doubt that those kinds of thinks make a big difference, but maybe in some cases it could help. For example, there was that story about a guy working with Maybin last year, and supposedly they looked at a lot of game film together. Thanks for any reply.

That's tough to say, because I worked mainly with the Bears, Eagles, and Lions. And it was the mid 70's to late 80's. At that time and within those organizations, it was very similar. A media assistant cut down the film into down, distance, and situation. It was a fairly simple process, and his job started immediately after the game to have it finished by Monday afternoon for coaching review and Tuesday morning for player review. However I can't speak to what is happening now and I'm sure there has been great technical advances since my day.

1336239320[/url]' post='2459016']

I'm not pissed, but it is insulting. I'm not a liar.

With all due respect, no one here knows who you are... so how do they know you're not a liar? Point being; you and everyone else is fairly anonymous on an internet message board, if you're going to get insulted every time someone doubts you or has a little fun at your expense, you're probably in the wrong place.

Two sentiments perhaps best sum up the last several pages... (1) Lighten up Francis, and (2) Its hard to post on the interwebs.

"More likely, it was merely to let go a player who wasn't measuring up on the field. According to Mike Clay of Pro Football Focus, NFL passers had a 103.3 quarterback rating against Florence last year -- not good."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/05/04/19717466.html?twobillsdrive

And they also had a 120 rating against Williams.

You're right; I didn't have the title. I just did all the work.

I knew it was a mistake to register here. I tried to get my father to join as well but he said this exact thing would happen. To quote his favorite line, "Im only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand."

Next time an NFL team makes a decision that you don't understand, remember that there is a difference between what fans think and what is actually true. As Marv Levy said, "You start listening to the fans, and you'll eventually end up sitting with them." Goodbye.

It's not a mistake to register here. And up until all of this, I thought you've made some good posts.

However, it might have been a mistake if you are going to use this vague, ever-changing "I was a pro scout" argument to prove your point, without ever giving real clarification. The mistake is even mentioning it in the first place if you arent completely comfortable with losing your anonymity.

If you re-read your posts, and can't see why some people might be suspicious and others might be laughing, then maybe it was a mistake.

And just a heads up, there has been a lot of discussion on this board regarding the Pro Bowl and what exactly it means for a player to be defined as a "Pro Bowl-er". After much debating, it's basically understood that the title does not necessarily correspond to on-field performance. It can, and sometimes does... but sometimes doesnt. So mentioning the pro bowl does not prove a player to be good.

Good Luck and Go Bills!