Nike uniform unveiling discussion

Wayne Cubed

Touche. At this time, it is not illegal to purchase for personal use. I would say to those people who buy a number of jerseys for the bulk price, as I remember several people here said they do, and either give or sell (even for just the cost) jerseys to other people are committing a crime, according to lawyers on a few sites I've seen, as the text reads that this simple "distribution" qualifies as illegal in the flow of counterfeit material.

But the point about the NFL not taking kindly to TBD not moderating threads that include links to Chinese counterfeiters and illegal game streams does stand. And this is subject to get much stickier whenever some derivative of SOPA passes.

Except there was no link to Chinese counterfeiters. There were links to new designs and one guy's remark, a few posts later, about Chinese counterfeiters.

If there were a link to Chinese counterfeiters, Scott would be wise to remove it and reprimand/expel the poster. That's not what happened here, and I don't think the NFL's suits are going to give a **** that someone made a remark. They're powerful, sure, but they're too busy for this nonsense.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you publish your source code to the web because someone is just going to steal it anyway and why hide behind a skirt when you can just write more code? Competition is one thing; theft is another.

Not sure I follow your thought process completely here. I do work on open source projects so in effect that code is published "to the web". And people take pieces of it all the time and turn them into applications that they make money on. When the counterfeiters make jerseys that for all intents and purposes are physically the same as the ones you purchase from the NFL, that is competition. It is license infringement and therefore illegal, but it is not theft. Theft would be if they robbed whatever Chinese factory makes the Reebok/Nike jerseys then sold what they stole.

And this is subject to get much stickier whenever some derivative of SOPA passes.

Ugh. Don't even get me started on SOPA/PITA.

I agree with that to a great degree although I think there are many factors in play not all of which are the fault of the NFL or under its control.

I hear you there; the NFL can't force manufacturers to stop, but the public sure could... however, I don't see the SUCCESSFUL boycotting of clothing sales to prove a point.

Edited by BmoreBills

Except there was no link to Chinese counterfeiters. There were links to new designs and one guy's remark, a few posts later, about Chinese counterfeiters.

If there were a link to Chinese counterfeiters, Scott would be wise to remove it and reprimand/expel the poster. That's not what happened here, and I don't think the NFL's suits are going to give a **** that someone made a remark. They're powerful, sure, but they're too busy for this nonsense.

THIS HAS HAPPENED IN THE PAST. RTFP --- I wrote "in previous threads."

Like this one.

Recommendations for which sellers to buy from. There've been other threads with direct links to Chinese counterfeiter ordering sites. I just don't have time to go through them all, but they've been on here. There've also been direct links to streaming game feeds.

I'm sure the people that get busted all think that too. Some version of SOPA will be passed sooner or later.

The point is that this site should not be put at risk.

Not sure I follow your thought process completely here. I do work on open source projects so in effect that code is published "to the web". And people take pieces of it all the time and turn them into applications that they make money on. When the counterfeiters make jerseys that for all intents and purposes are physically the same as the ones you purchase from the NFL, that is competition. It is license infringement and therefore illegal, but it is not theft. Theft would be if they robbed whatever Chinese factory makes the Reebok/Nike jerseys then sold what they stole.

Appropriation / infringement / unfair commercial use = theft of patented trademarks and designs.

You're going to split hairs over this?

• 1 month later...

Per the article:

Nike’s intentions regarding the NFL uniforms remain unclear. An executive promised “dramatic” changes when the deal was struck in 2010. The NFL more recently has explained that the changes will primarily be reflected in the construction of the jersey.

The construction of the jersey? :huh:

I doubt we are going to see any real significant changes in how the jerseys will look.

Hell, because it's the offseason and I'm itching for Tuesday to get here....Can we expect to see blue pants this year? Do we want blue pants? etcetc

there was a rumor a few weeks ago that we would see the Blue pants with the white jerseys. This would make me very happy.

The teams and league would have to consent to any changes, correct?

I would assume so. The Bills just did a uni change (for the better), and I cannot see management willing to change again just for the sake of change.

And quite frankly, I am afraid of any "Nike style" change to the uni.

As it is, they need to ship those clown suits called college "combat" unis back to the circus where they stole them from.

It will not change the overall design, just the fit, materials, and construction.

I was discussing purchasing a bunch of the $39 jerseys now, with a few of my friends. But we are all too scared to jinx any of the players.

My buddy bit the bullet and ordered a Dareus jersey. He quickly replied with this meme...

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/36isxi/

The teams and league would have to consent to any changes, correct?

Yes.

Just because Charleston Chews might hire a new marketing team, that team cannot independently make changes in the wrapping design. So it is for the NFL as well. Anybody who's freaked that Nike would/will be able to force those Combat Gear mock-ups on teams is stupid.

Per the article:

Nike’s intentions regarding the NFL uniforms remain unclear. An executive promised “dramatic” changes when the deal was struck in 2010. The NFL more recently has explained that the changes will primarily be reflected in the construction of the jersey.

I doubt we are going to see any real significant changes in how the jerseys will look.

I imagine that would be along the lines of seams and fabric type, etc. The Bills wore a new "more breathable" proprietary Reebok fabric. Why they would do this for a one year contract I don't know, but....

Hopefully, some of the striping issues will be worked out/standardized, mostly the sleeve striping where for some guys it was horizontal (Freddie), and for some guys it was over the shoulder.

Per the article:

Has anyone seen what Nike has done to the NCAA Basketball jerseys? They are hideous.

I wonder if the helmets will have that matte finish on them. They have been polished for so long. I know Oregon, Baylor and AZ State had those this year. I thought they looked sweet. IDK how the white would look.

Oregon helmet PIC

Edited by judman

That would be cool, just say NO though to blue with blue, too tacky.

Actually, I thought that was the only decent combo of the previous atrocities.

Anyway, I thought Steve Johnson confirmed that they were going with blue pants for the road jerseys this year...that would be cool!

• 3 weeks later...

I swear to God, who comes up with this crap? Just once, I wish someone would design a plain white shirt with blue ringer and put a simple logo in the center. I could design 10 different shirts that would fly off the shelves. How about one with stripes around the shoulders. This stuff is pure garbage...

I don't care one way or the other which brand does the jerseys and appareal, but what is so "crappy" about the Reebok stuff?

I know that PFT reported that Seattle is the only team this year that Nike is completely changing their look but after digging around the intranet, it appears other teams are doing minor changes too. New alternate 3rd unis for Pitt, Den, Carolina, St.L, Mia, SF & TB are the only ones I know of right now. Are we getting a 3rd? I know we got blue pants this year but I hope Nike doesn't fudge us over w/something stupid. Anyone have any inside scoop?