Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be exactly what Stevie wants. A parachute out of a struggling, small-market team. I wouldn't be surprised if he acted up again, in order to force Buddy's hand. Be careful though of who you make fun of, Stevie. You never know who you might end up working for.

<br />SJ knows what he's worth and leaving Buffalo isn't a punishment. He will laugh at the pittance being offered him to re-sign and hop on a chartered jet paid for by the highest bidder and we'll be the Cleveland to his Lebron<br />
lol @ comparing Stevie to lebron

SJ knows what he's worth and leaving Buffalo isn't a punishment. He will laugh at the pittance being offered him to re-sign and hop on a chartered jet paid for by the highest bidder and we'll be the Cleveland to his Lebron

Wow SJ is now Lebron??? SJ is closer to Ilgauskus than he is Lebron. He isn't even in the top 25 WR's and he may not even be in the top 200 players in the NFL. Hell he isn't even top 5 on the Bills (Wood, Levitre, Dareus, Jackson, Fitz, and Barnett all more important) let alone teams with much more talent. I don't agree with letting your best players walk but you also can't bid against yourself. If he is so great franchise him and make him prove it one more year.

I was listening to ESPN today after the Stevie J celebration that basically helped in a large way to cost us another very important game in our Bills season .

Stevie does need to concentrate more on playing his position & making catches (of which he dropped at least one very important catch that could have easily been a TD) & less on celebrating after the fact of said TD .

But Marell Hodge said he would cut him ??? I think thats a bit harsh but if i was his coach i would put forth some type of rule that if you cause a penalty to the club because of stupidity you get a fine or at least sit him down for some plays or something to let him know that you won't tolerate that type of action !!

Plus if he is expecting #1 money i would bring up the drops in contract talks until he becomes as dependable as Andre when the games on the line .

I for one hope that he gets some kind of fine from the Commish maybe that will make him think twice but cut him ??? Come On !!!

Hodge is full of $#!t. if coached the the team he would have given him a good butt chewing and then told him to get back out there and keep owning Revis.

SJ knows what he's worth and leaving Buffalo isn't a punishment. He will laugh at the pittance being offered him to re-sign and hop on a chartered jet paid for by the highest bidder and we'll be the Cleveland to his Lebron

Lebron comparison is a little extreme but not too bad. Stevie strikes me as a West Coast kind of guy. Into his music, rubbing elbows with stars, sun and surf, etc. I think that Buffalo would have to offer a HUGE contract over anybody else to get Stevie to stay. I doubt that will happen.

They shouldn't cut him, but maybe they can trade him for a 4th round pick? Something needs to be done. Stevie has cost us at least 2 big games. Stevie is a great route runner, tremendous athelete, but he'll never be mature enough to fill the "primary receiver" role. We might as well sign TO if we want a flashy, selfish receiver.

So this was Hodge in the begiining of the year

"Sitting watching tape of Bronco offense from last year!” Hoge wrote. “Orton or Tebow? It’s embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow!!”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/merril-hoge-says-tim-tebow-just-cant-play/

Why some get so worked worked up over these gus is beyond me

I was listening to ESPN today after the Stevie J celebration that basically helped in a large way to cost us another very important game in our Bills season .

Stevie does need to concentrate more on playing his position & making catches (of which he dropped at least one very important catch that could have easily been a TD) & less on celebrating after the fact of said TD .

But Marell Hodge said he would cut him ??? I think thats a bit harsh but if i was his coach i would put forth some type of rule that if you cause a penalty to the club because of stupidity you get a fine or at least sit him down for some plays or something to let him know that you won't tolerate that type of action !!

Plus if he is expecting #1 money i would bring up the drops in contract talks until he becomes as dependable as Andre when the games on the line .

I for one hope that he gets some kind of fine from the Commish maybe that will make him think twice but cut him ??? Come On !!!

he loves to rip on guys specific guys like tebow and vince young.. maybe its cuz he was so useless as a player and has so much anger built up in him.. all i have to say to that bum is.. why so serious??

They shouldn't cut him, but maybe they can trade him for a 4th round pick? Something needs to be done. Stevie has cost us at least 2 big games. Stevie is a great route runner, tremendous athelete, but he'll never be mature enough to fill the "primary receiver" role. We might as well sign TO if we want a flashy, selfish receiver.

He'll be a free agent before they have a chance to trade him.

One more comment and I'm ready to put this behind me.

Just read some stories this morning from the NY media, saying how the Jets have integrity and blah blah blah. And 9/11? Really Pooha or whatever your name is? Give me a break. SJ did a celebration dance, like hundreds of receivers before him, and took this one too far. Jets are one of the most disrespectful, loudmouthed teams there are.

And Hodge--cutting our best WR, who admitted to making immature mistakes, and who will likely be a legit star? Get a clue.

Officially over it. Nothing more to see here folks. Move on.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

I with you, Justin..reaady to move on, after just one more thing...

Personally, I usually hate over-the-top hot-dogging by arrogant, attention-starved, overpaid and overgrown children masquerading as professional athletes - but I though Stevie's 'celebration' was hilarious. ALL of it - the dancing, shooting himself in the leg, and the Jet crash. Just a bit too premature, since it was the Bills that crashed! (I also believe it was most definitely well-though out and choreographed way beforehand, despite SJ's ridiculously insincere attempt to insist otherwise.)

As for the ensuing penalty, yeah, Johnson cost us yardage - but I hang the decision to squib kick on DeHaven and the botched kick on Dave Rayner. (Some lunatic TSW poster - I think he's that same crazy Mike Leach fan - kept insisting that the Bills draft Nebraska PK Alex Henery, which may have been a good idea after all.)

I hope Stevie grows up and curtails the tweets and the showboating. He's a great player and fun personality, but when it gets to the point that it hurts your team, it's time to stop.

There, that was cathartic.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

"I expect to win." - Chan Gailey

One more comment and I'm ready to put this behind me.

Just read some stories this morning from the NY media, saying how the Jets have integrity and blah blah blah. And 9/11? Really Pooha or whatever your name is? Give me a break. SJ did a celebration dance, like hundreds of receivers before him, and took this one too far. Jets are one of the most disrespectful, loudmouthed teams there are.

And Hodge--cutting our best WR, who admitted to making immature mistakes, and who will likely be a legit star? Get a clue.

Officially over it. Nothing more to see here folks. Move on.

After hearing his interviews, what Stevie did was in retaliation to the Jets boorish behavior in Buffalo. I LOVE that attitude. Before that first game, Revis was screaming in front of the cameras that the Bills were soft. The head coach of the Jets was chest bumping Holmes after a TD! Their QB Sanchez was mocking McKelvin in the endzone. Are you blanking kidding me? The Jets are the most classless team in the league. Stevie should have just not fallen on the ground.

But the key here is that you have to back it up when it counts. Stevie's got to stop with the drops at the end of these big games. This is what separates the good players from the great players.

I really hope Stevie isn't "serious" about his no celebration statement. This thing just blew up out of proportion on him because this was a crucial game, they were playing on sports' biggest stage, NYC, and this was a national game which was very riveting. I hope Stevie stays a little crazy and pushes his creativity because that's who he is, but be cool enough to keep it within the rules.

Edited by 1billsfan

I have been listening to WFAN New York (the country's best sports radio) and national radio, and they are killing Stevie Johnson, and deservedly so. Most of them are saying the same thing, and it can't be argued, that if Johnson spent more time after practice catching a couple hundred balls from the JUGS machine, and less time worry about endzone celebrations he might not drop so many balls. You have people on here defending him, but the facts are there, he led the entire NFL in drops per target last season and just has to be towards the top this year. He is a "Me First" player, and probably always will be, he doesn't think about the penalties that are going to hurt the team, which it did on sunday. You can see it when he celebrates, like alot of the garbage ass diva receivers, he has to celebrate himself, not with the teammates that run to the endzone to celebrate,those he ignores. He will never be a top flight #1 receiver, he doesn't have the hands or the skills. He is a more then adequate #2, as shown last year, but if he is insistent on getting paid like a #1, let him walk-good riddance. Some team is going to have to be real desperate to give him what he wants. This team is so far from being a winning team, and it isn't going to start with idiot players that don't give a crap about the team and are more concerned with getting attention on themselves. They need players to put the extra hours in to improve their game, and quit worry about making fun of a player that is having 3 times the season he is having this year.

Edited by billsfreak

After hearing his interviews, what Stevie did was in retaliation to the Jets boorish behavior in Buffalo. I LOVE that attitude. Before that first game, Revis was screaming in front of the cameras that the Bills were soft. The head coach of the Jets was chest bumping Holmes after a TD! Their QB Sanchez was mocking McKelvin in the endzone. Are you blanking kidding me? The Jets are the most classless team in the league. Stevie should have just not fallen on the ground.

But the key here is that you have to back it up when it counts. Stevie's got to stop with the drops at the end of these big games. This is what separates the good players from the great players.

I really hope Stevie isn't "serious" about his no celebration statement. This thing just blew up out of proportion on him because this was a crucial game, they were playing on sports' biggest stage, NYC, and this was a national game which was very riveting. I hope Stevie stays a little crazy and pushes his creativity because that's who he is, but be cool enough to keep it within the rules.

Well stated - If I were him, I would be very embarrassed (sp?) b/c when you showboat early in a game, and then help blow the game at the end, you look like a complete idiot. Stevie, save that crap for when you make the game winning score and there is no (or almost no) time left on the clock!!

I have been listening to WFAN New York (the country's best sports radio) and national radio, and they are killing Stevie Johnson, and deservedly so. Most of them are saying the same thing, and it can't be argued, that if Johnson spent more time after practice catching a couple hundred balls from the JUGS machine, and less time worry about endzone celebrations he might not drop so many balls. You have people on here defending him, but the facts are there, he led the entire NFL in drops per target last season and just has to be towards the top this year. He is a "Me First" player, and probably always will be, he doesn't think about the penalties that are going to hurt the team, which it did on sunday. You can see it when he celebrates, like alot of the garbage ass diva receivers, he has to celebrate himself, not with the teammates that run to the endzone to celebrate,those he ignores. He will never be a top flight #1 receiver, he doesn't have the hands or the skills. He is a more then adequate #2, as shown last year, but if he is insistent on getting paid like a #1, let him walk-good riddance. Some team is going to have to be real desperate to give him what he wants. This team is so far from being a winning team, and it isn't going to start with idiot players that don't give a crap about the team and are more concerned with getting attention on themselves. They need players to put the extra hours in to improve their game, and quit worry about making fun of a player that is having 3 times the season he is having this year.

I don't disagree with the premise of the argument where concentration and focus are concerned...But one thing I keep hearing that is driving me nuts...Exactly how much time is needed to work on, or spent "worrying," on an endzone celebration? 2-3 minutes maybe? It's the perception of a lack of focus that goes along with this, and it's warranted...But actually spending time worrying about a celebration is truthfully not a factor...It's the lack of concentration rather than too much planning or worrying... B-)

Plaxico: 34-479-7 (3 games with 60+ yards)

Stevie: 54-622-5 (5 games with 60+ yards)

Not exactly "3 times the season" Stevie is having.

Also, Stevie in 2010 went 82-1073-10. 11th in yards, 11th in receptions, T-7th in TDs. By any measure, Stevie was performing at your mythical "#1" WR level last season. Unless the entire NFL only has 10 "#1" WRs.

I'm starting to get a little worried about Stevie turning into a diva. When asked about his wide open drop with 40 seconds left, he blamed it on Fitz. He said something like "in that situation I would expect the ball to be in a little bit of a different spot." Sorry to hit you in the hands Stevie. Also, he was in a good mood the entire interview when being questioned about these things. He just loves seeing his name on ESPN's first page. I love Stevie but am getting worried with these new developments.

Edited by BuffaloBlizzard

I'm starting to get a little worried about Stevie turning into a diva. When asked about his wide open drop with 40 seconds left, he blamed it on Fitz. He said something like "in that situation I would expect the ball to be in a little bit of a different spot." Sorry to hit you in the hands Stevie. Also, he was in a good mood the entire interview when being questioned about these things. He just loves seeing his name on ESPN's first page. I love Stevie but am getting worried with these new developments.

Agree. I do not need to see Johnson putting any blame on Fitz for that drop. It is all on Johnson. A free agent at the end of the year, sign him for #2 money or let him walk.

I don't think he's a diva, I think he's more of the rebel type. Stevie did this specific dance to mock and embarrass the Jets (like they did the Bills in Buffalo). It obviously backfired big time with the key game winning drop, but him giving the Jets some of their own medicine is very cool with me. This is only the second time in two years that he's done an "crossing the line" TD celebration.

He's clearly very embarrassed now and is acting like an prideful yet immature young man who's embarrassed. Fitzpatrick and Johnson are joined at the hip. He knows that Stevie's just trying to save some face and he won't take the comments to heart.

To those saying let him walk, he's not going anywhere. Fitzpatrick has been resigned to a big contract and Stevie is his Andre Reed. He's here for the long term, case closed. BTW, this team doesn't need any more big holes to fill. They have quite enough of them right now.

Plaxico: 34-479-7 (3 games with 60+ yards)

Stevie: 54-622-5 (5 games with 60+ yards)

Not exactly "3 times the season" Stevie is having.

Also, Stevie in 2010 went 82-1073-10. 11th in yards, 11th in receptions, T-7th in TDs. By any measure, Stevie was performing at your mythical "#1" WR level last season. Unless the entire NFL only has 10 "#1" WRs.

Don't let facts get in the way of a mindless Billsfreak rant...

I don't think he's a diva, I think he's more of the rebel type. Stevie did this specific dance to mock and embarrass the Jets (like they did the Bills in Buffalo). It obviously backfired big time with the key game winning drop, but him giving the Jets some of their own medicine is very cool with me. This is only the second time in two years that he's done an "crossing the line" TD celebration.

He's clearly very embarrassed now and is acting like an prideful yet immature young man who's embarrassed. Fitzpatrick and Johnson are joined at the hip. He knows that Stevie's just trying to save some face and he won't take the comments to heart.

To those saying let him walk, he's not going anywhere. Fitzpatrick has been resigned to a big contract and Stevie is his Andre Reed. He's here for the long term, case closed. BTW, this team doesn't need any more big holes to fill. They have quite enough of them right now.

Fitz and Stevie definitely have been joined at the hip. The problem is Fitz puts all the blame on himself when things go wrong and Steview points fiongers at Fitz. I hope it doesn't happen but over time a wedge could be put between them if this continues. I certainly am not the type to want to get rid of Stevie. Sign him for sure but he's starting to get a bit diva like. Let's hope this comes to an end.

I will probably be a huge minority on this but the statements in bold are where I disagree the most.

Johnson did this celebration as retaliation for the last Jets game? If this is true then he is even more immature than I previously thought and I actually feel bad for those of you that think this is a good thing.

I don't care if the Jets mocked us in the first game. Yes, that was bad sportmanship but we played like weaklings on home field and they backed it up.

A 25 year old man still learning grade school life lessons is a sad thing. Whatever happened to beat them on the field with your play? Win the game and say nothing ... that is the best way to make noise.

Flame away.

Edited by Bob in STL

I still want Stevie around but I did lose respect from him after his weekly appearance on the Schopp and the Bulldog. If you heard the Q and A, its all about him even deflecting blame on a perfectly thrown ball by Fitz that he dropped.

I'm afraid to say but he is a diva like TO and Ochostinko.

Stevie if you want to get back at the Jets, WIN THE DAMN GAME!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I will probably be a huge minority on this but the statements in bold are where I disagree the most.

Johnson did this celebration as retaliation for the last Jets game? If this is true then he is even more immature than I previously thought and I actually feel bad for those of you that think this is a good thing.

I don't care if the Jets mocked us in the first game. Yes, that was bad sportmanship but we played like weaklings on home field and they backed it up.

I 25 year old man still learning grade school life lessons is a sad thing. Whatever happened to beat them on the field with your play? Win the game and say nothing ... that is the best way to make noise.

Flame away.

I won't flame away because I agree. Pretending to shoot yourself in the leg and pretending to be an airplane is retaliation? No, catching the game winning catch in their own house is retaliation.

He's dropped 2 game winning passes in the last 2 years in big games for us. The big one Sunday erases any "owning Revis" that he may or may not have done earlier in the day. It's not how many yards you get or catches, it's can you catch the big one in the big game when the game is on the line.

Stevie can't. Cut our losses and find someone who can. They're out there. Seems other teams like the Bengals, Jets, and Fish have them.

Edited by reddogblitz

I 25 year old man still learning grade school life lessons is a sad thing. Whatever happened to beat them on the field with your play? Win the game and say nothing ... that is the best way to make noise.

Flame away.

As crazy as it sounds and as misguided as it was, I think that Stevie was trying to be a leader. His team mates were being openly mocked by the Jets and their head coach in that first game. He wanted to give his team mates some retribution.

You can't change who people are. Stevie isn't going to be Aaron Schobel or Chris Kelsay. Two guys who will play by the rules, but would never showed an ounce of caring so much about being mocked by an opposing team that four weeks later they'd get them some payback.

The Bills need more guys with a passion and a pulse like Stevie Johnson. Now saying all that, Stevie needs to channel more of his leadership qualities to his performance on the field.

I won't flame away because I agree. Pretending to shoot yourself in the leg and pretending to be an airplane is retaliation? No, catching the game winning catch in their own house is retaliation.

He's dropped 2 game winning passes in the last 2 years in big games for us. The big one Sunday erases any "owning Revis" that he may or may not have done earlier in the day. It's not how many yards you get or catches, it's can you catch the big one in the big game when the game is on the line.

Stevie can't. Cut our losses and find someone who can. They're out there. Seems other teams like the Bengals, Jets, and Fish have them.

The thing is I don't want to get rid of him. It is really hard to find good players, at least it is for our Front Office. We just have too many current needs to let him go. That said, I would not pay him like an elite WR either.

After we draft a pass rusher I would say that LT and WR are very big areas of need.

A 25 year old man still learning grade school life lessons is a sad thing. Whatever happened to beat them on the field with your play? Win the game and say nothing ... that is the best way to make noise.

While I don't disagree with what you're saying...A 25 year old man like Stevie (and I'll let you fill in the many blanks there) simply does not, and will not, look at it that way...That's the new generation of this type of athlete...Stevie said it himself...He was just having fun...And I've heard plenty of responses from Kids his age who agree it's just goofing...Just having some fun...No biggie... :huh:

Forget about the fact that The Jets had cremated the Bills 3 Games in a row and at the time of the celebration the Bills had a lousy TD lead in the 2nd Quarter...Forget that it was classless (The crashing Jet thing was not so bad...problem is you can't go to the ground on a celebration...The leg-shooting thing was embarrassingly classless IMHO...No matter how stupid Burress was shooting himself in the leg...Maybe it's something you joke with your buddy's about over a beer...as an end-zone celebration it was SO classless to me...) and it cost his Team a penalty...That matters not...It's just goofing...Having a laugh...Innocent...You know?...

Ya...Me neither...But I'm old... B-)

Thank you, that is about the most down to Earth take on the whole situation I've read here.