Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie ain't goin' nowhere. Him and Fitz have great chemistry and he's good at what he does, despite the occasional drop at the worst time. He's made a few clutch catches this year so I can't get too mad at him for the drop today. Not TOO mad, anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

The margin of loss was equal to one play and as such, one could point to no fewer than a half-dozen plays as being "decisive" in this game. Dareus took a bad personal fould penalty. Rayner shanked the kick. Fitz missed two open throws in the end zone. Spiller missed two protections which directly resulted in both of Maybin sacks. And there were other plays as well.

Do I think Stevie lost us the game? No… but he was involved in several plays which could have won it for us.

I am disappointed in his 3rd and latest excessive celebration penalty in the last two years… it was costly.

But I'm not gonna put the loss on him and I'm willing to forgive him. I really hope he matures because clearly he has some growing up to do (his God rant last year was kind of surreal and an indication of his maturity).

He seems like a good guy though. I really loved that he attended the uniform unveiling during the lockout and was mingling with Bills fans at the stadium.

I'm a bit surprised at his lack of maturity. He's married, has two kids (4 and 2 years old), and is 25 years old. It's not like he's a rookie but some guys grow up faster than others.

Clearly he's a pretty good player and someone the Bills would want to build with assuming that Stevie and the team come through this trauma stronger and on the same page. These incidents can bring a team and player together and they can also drive them apart. Hopefully this is a positive turning point.

When you squib, you want to hit the middle of the ball as hard as you can. And, for the love of God, you don't want to aim for anything but empty space between players on the receiving team. You need to have one of the middle men move to field the ball as they usually don't have the greatest hands. Definitely don't want to hit the up man 10 yards away from you like Rayner Shine did.

GO BILLS!!!

+1

Stevie says he didn't drop the gamewinner - it was a miscommunication! Did Fitz tell him not to catch the ball?:

StevieJohnson13

StevieJohnson13

Haha wow I can't believe you guys really telling me I "dropped" the GWinner. Smh. Pitt was a drop. This was QB&WR not on the same page.

24 minutes ago

In his defense, when they showed the replay from the end zone, you could see that when Stevie turned for the ball it caught him by surprise, like it was there a second too early. I don't know how these guys time certain routes and when to turn for the ball, especially when the QB has to rush his throw. He reacted a second to late and I would assume that's on the WR, but Fitz and SJ know better than we do.

That's the $9M a year question, is it not? Can we live with SJ having days like this? And if not would you be fine with him signing elsewhere and doing well?

PTR

I'm tired of always having to find skill players with perfectly good skill players on the roster. Did anyone see the games that Marshawn and Willis had today--not bad. Does anyone think a platoon with Freddy and Marshawn would be much worse than a platoon with Freddy and CJ? I think we should sign him and try to get another big receiver in the first three rounds. Stevie acts like a d-bag sometimes but he is ultimately a talented wideout with some chemistry with Fitz. I know we don't want the FO to spend money unwisely but we have to start spending money to get some better depth players. I still think the Handgartner thing is inexcusable. I worry that letting Stevie go is creating a future area of need--Stevie and Nelson are good building blocks for the future why start from scratch?

Of course we resign him. He is a quality player. He needs to mature and play a little smarter, but despite my exasperation he's been, overall, a big positive for the Bills, and will be more so in the future.

I'm tired of always having to find skill players with perfectly good skill players on the roster. Did anyone see the games that Marshawn and Willis had today--not bad. Does anyone think a platoon with Freddy and Marshawn would be much worse than a platoon with Freddy and CJ? I think we should sign him and try to get another big receiver in the first three rounds. Stevie acts like a d-bag sometimes but he is ultimately a talented wideout with some chemistry with Fitz. I know we don't want the FO to spend money unwisely but we have to start spending money to get some better depth players. I still think the Handgartner thing is inexcusable. I worry that letting Stevie go is creating a future area of need--Stevie and Nelson are good building blocks for the future why start from scratch?

I pay no attention to those who wanna run him out of town.

It was a frustrating loss and lots of people here post on emotion. That's understandable and lots of people will calm down over the next few days.

You make a great point that it would be ridiculous to use this incident as a pressure point to run Stevie out of town.

Hopefully the front office displays wisdom and shrewdness in this situation because ultimately it's a business decision and business decisions should never be made with emotions.

All this hate on Stevie needs to stop. What he did was classless. He apologized.

That being said he obviously deserves to be ripped into a little bit by the media. A situation like this would never go untouched by the hungry reporters that feed on stories like this.

But honestly, Stevie is the type of franchise player you want. Works hard, says only great things about Buffalo, plays through injuries. Oh, and he's also the best and most consistent WR we've had since Moulds in his prime.

Hopefully this blows over soon. Maybe we'll even benefit if for some reason the cost to resign him would go down(probably not). I personally would like to focus on his dropped ball late in the game rather than the celebration. Karma?

Yeah I agree, he seems like a good person and he can help this team, he's just not a legit #1, which is what he thinks he is. But if today helps us sign him for #2 money then today would be a blessing in disguise.

You are trying too hard to CYA on the assertions you made earlier. You'd be better off to stop digging the hole you are in deeper.

Thanks, but I already have a therapist, don't need another. You guys are too expensive. :thumbsup:

I'm just throwing crap out there, not trying to CMA on anything. There are plenty of shady characters in the league and just because this is Buffalo, our team, doesn't mean it can't happen here. We do have a senile old owner who was close friends with Al Davis remember. I'm just a crap throwing monkey, too bad someone else already has that user name. If I really wanted to CMA, why wouldn't I just go delete those posts or edit them? Just sayin.

The margin of loss was equal to one play and as such, one could point to no fewer than a half-dozen plays as being "decisive" in this game. Dareus took a bad personal fould penalty. Rayner shanked the kick. Fitz missed two open throws in the end zone. Spiller missed two protections which directly resulted in both of Maybin sacks. And there were other plays as well.

Do I think Stevie lost us the game? No… but he was involved in several plays which could have won it for us.

I am disappointed in his 3rd and latest excessive celebration penalty in the last two years… it was costly.

But I'm not gonna put the loss on him and I'm willing to forgive him. I really hope he matures because clearly he has some growing up to do (his God rant last year was kind of surreal and an indication of his maturity).

He seems like a good guy though. I really loved that he attended the uniform unveiling during the lockout and was mingling with Bills fans at the stadium.

I'm a bit surprised at his lack of maturity. He's married, has two kids (4 and 2 years old), and is 25 years old. It's not like he's a rookie but some guys grow up faster than others.

Clearly he's a pretty good player and someone the Bills would want to build with assuming that Stevie and the team come through this trauma stronger and on the same page. These incidents can bring a team and player together and they can also drive them apart. Hopefully this is a positive turning point.

Good post. I have similar sentiments about him.

There is a definite lack of maturity to this fun loving soul. Yet, as we type, he continues to tweet that he did not drop the ball, it was a "miscommunication" not a drop.

If I am his coach I take his toys away for the season.

Edited by Bob in STL

Of course we resign him. He is a quality player. He needs to mature and play a little smarter, but despite my exasperation he's been, overall, a big positive for the Bills, and will be more so in the future.

As long as Revis is in the AFC East, the Bills desperately need Stevie Johnson. He did something today no one else in the league has been able to do.

Rayner has been an awesome waiver wire acquisition. He could stick in the NFL next year.

His kickoffs are deep and high.

He has made a 56 and a 53 yd FG.

He is doing great.

He flubbed a squib kick that he should not have had to been attempting in the first place.

This. The squib kick was a very strange call, in the circs.

Yes, the Jets have a good return game, but squib kicks aren't common 'cuz they do go awry, and our Defense is more of an open range, unable to bail us out of what (in fact) happened

Kick the d*** ball as deep and hard as you can and take your chances with the return.

Stevie says he didn't drop the gamewinner - it was a miscommunication! Did Fitz tell him not to catch the ball?:

StevieJohnson13

Im just being myself man I dnt regret being the real me 24/7 and u shouldn't either. I dnt knock yall for gettin at me like this. Ima G haaa

10 minutes ago

StevieJohnson13

But you know what baybeee its nothin tho ill take it. #LiveLoveLaugh

21 minutes ago

StevieJohnson13

Haha wow I can't believe you guys really telling me I "dropped" the GWinner. Smh. Pitt was a drop. This was QB&WR not on the same page.

24 minutes ago

First I've seen this. Awful. Not sure what he could possibly be referencing.

Good post. I have similar sentiments about him.

There is a definite lack of maturity to this fun loving soul. Yet, as we type, he continues to tweet that he did not drop the ball, it was a "miscommunication" not a drop.

To be fair to Stevie, I think the miscommunication he's referring to was in the endzone (the ball that went past before he turned his head).

I think he doesn't see the ball he dropped as a potential game-winning ball, and maybe it wasn't -

-it certainly did have the potential to be a game-changer, it worst it would have put them closer, into a distance where Fitz is typically able to be more consistent.

(and I think he has earned a good "private meeting" with Chan tomorrow)

Edited by Hopeful

I have similar sentiments about him.

Yeah I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned but I would really encourage my players not to Tweet at all during the season… or only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Like I said it's probably not realistic but he needs time to sit and think… not get defensive and rationalize.

Look at the difference one day made with Suh after the stomping incident… one day he was defiant and the next day he was contrite.

Stevie needs to shut up and get his head straightened out and social networking is not gonna help him do that.

You guys hatin on Stevie are trippin. He beat the best corner in the NFL all day and made one mistake. Its not his fault the new kicker botched the most routine play a kicker ever does, nor is it his fault the D couldnt stop the jets on a 3-11 with 2 minutes left. Penalties and poor D helped the Jets win, not Stevie Johnson.

Two mistakes. Both game changing.

Stevie's mistakes are among other mistakes that cost the Bills the game. His touchdown dance certainly led to the botched squib kick, etc. and yea what if he didn't act like a horse's ass, but what happened has happened. The point is that once again he shows just how immature he is and for that I lose respect for him...

I don't think we need to cut him, he is a reciever the Bills need to keep, but this happy feet **** needs to dealt with and he needs to act like a grown man when playing on that field and if he wants to act and dance so bad then get on Dancing with Stars or something!

To be fair to Stevie, I think the miscommunication he's referring to was in the endzone (the ball that went past before he turned his head).

I think he doesn't see the ball he dropped as a potential game-winning ball, and maybe it wasn't -

-it certainly did have the potential to be a game-changer, it worst it would have put them closer, into a distance where Fitz is typically able to be more consistent.

(and I think he has earned a good "private meeting" with Chan tomorrow)

If he makes that catch and does not score we now have TD options for big tall targets like Chandler and Nelson, plus we have Spiller out of the backfield, not to mention a keeper by Fitz.

I believe he was surprised to see the ball there, and that is all on him on a pattern that deep. It was a routine catch with YAC possibilities.

For him to be tweeting that this "drop" was a "miscommunication" only adds to what we already believe is a serious lack of maturity.