Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you want to know who's one hell of a baller? It kills me to say this, but it's Plaxico Burress. He made THE play of the game on third and long with that circus catch and saved Sanchez's bacon. Meanwhile Fitz hits Stevie right in the f'in hands and look what happens. Ronnie Harmon time.

Okay, so Chan lied when he said he called for a squib. :rolleyes:

Now we're comparing Stevie to Jerry Rice?

Well then Rayner has apparently never been coached how to squib a kick the proper way. He put everything he had into that kick and shanked it. Even that dope Gannon saw that and i think he's been around football a little more than you or I.

I'm not comparing Johnson to Rice....some people are so sensitive. Jerry rice dropped passes, and even TD passes. He is human just like every other player in the league. Like someone posted earlier, these guys aren't freaking robots. Players makes mistakes.....yes, even the good ones. I know that is hard for some of you to believe but it's reality.

Edited by Rayzer32

Wow, now I know why I don't post here much anymore....too many people with zero football sense. I was at the Bills/Jets game at the Ralph three weeks ago and watched Burress openly taunt the Bills sidelines. What's wrong with giving it back. Did no one see Maybin taunting the Bills sideline today after his sacks? Yeah Johnson has no class cause he is basically the only player on this team with a sack. He got penalized, and took full blame for losing the game afterwards. And Rayner was NOT trying to squib that kickoff. The replay clearly showed him trying to hit it as hard as he could and he missed the ball. When a kicker wants to squib a kick, he doesn't try to drive it into the one player standing in the middle of the field anyways. If the Bills had any coaches with half a brain they would have told Raynor to just kick the ball out of bounds and let the Jets have the ball at their own 40. Until today Sanchez was only completing 50% of his fourth quarter passes. I don't know if he missed one today, the Bills defense made him look like Joe Montana. Anyone remember Jerry Rice? You know that WR that NEVER dropped a pass in his career??? :wallbash: Some people are ridiculous. :blink:

Yeah Stevie owes Plaxico an apology, cause he was there that night and distracted Burress while he was dancing around with loaded guns like a jackass and shot himself. Give me a break. He owes Goodell and no one else an apology.

Please acquaint yourself with Gailey's comments about how Stevie's penalty made Gailey call for the squib. The replay clearly showed the ball placed on the tee in order to attempt a squib. Squib kicks are normally kicked very hard as a rule, makes them tougher to field. Rayner Shine mis-fired on that kick to be sure as you don't want to hit an up man EVER.

As to the option of kicking out of bounds, the ball would be placed 30 yards from the spot of the kick (in this case, mid-field) OR at the spot the ball went out of bounds. I'm assuming the Jets would have taken it at the 50 in that case.

GO BILLS!!!

I've gone on record as saying we need him back next year but the guy choked hard. Not sure why these two things seem to be mutually exclusive. If some NE WR did a mock celebration (which I personally didn't have a problem with) and followed it up with a choking drop they'd be a laughing stock here and rightfully so. This obsession with blaming 3rd string OLmen and kickers off the street is weird. Clearly ignoring the obvious gaffe at the end and calling people "tards" makes you an expert though.

There's always something to learn about football. Let's look at the situation.

The Bills have a backup kicker they've just signed. He can't have had much practice in fancy kicks.

No, he only kicked at Michigan. And nobody ever practices squib kicks. They're too fancy.

Shhh. Don't you know we don't know anything about football?

and we all know coaches NEVER lie to cover a players mistake right? Just ask Bilichick, he'll tell you the truth. But wait, Chan's a good ole boy, so he would never lie like that. You know the Patriots never videotaped other teams either, right?

There's always something to learn about football. Let's look at the situation.

The Bills have a backup kicker they've just signed. He can't have had much practice in fancy kicks.

At that point the Jets had received one kickoff, with a 14 yard return stopped by some very effective Bills ST coverage.

The Jets are averaging 29 yds per kickoff return this season. 29 + 15 = 44 yds. That's still in Jets territory and out of FG range.

The Jets started the squib kick drive at the Buffalo 35 - within fieldgoal range and knocking on the door of the Bills redzone.

I may understand football, I may not understand football, but I understand that handing the other team the ball from the Buffalo 35 with 2 minutes left is a worse position in which to place your 24th-in-the league D than starting from the Jets 44 yd line. (And it's not a sure bet that they'll get that kind of return - pretty good coverage on the first kickoff). Squib kicks aren't that common early in the game when your team is ahead, because they're relatively low-percentage trick plays that go oft awry.

Outcome: the Jets score 7 and we go to the lockers with a tie game. Some momentum killer.

I repeat: very strange playcalling in the circs.

By the way, "If you say so Chan" indicates acknowledgement by meS that Chan said this in his presser (which I still haven't found). So reiterating that information was not necessary. I will leave it to the regulars here to assess whether your initiatory insult has merit, is gratuitous, or merely makes you look silly.

What you missed is that it was a botched squib kick and we would have never attempted the squib if it wasn't for the penalty.

A successful squib kick will get to about the 30 yard line of the opposing field, picked up by a special teams person that doesn't return kicks (a blocker) and maybe a 5 to 10 yard return max. Same field position, and prevent the big play from the best special teams in the NFL. Get it?

The kick was botched and why they got the field position they did. Squib kicks are not 10 yard kicks. That's what called an onside kick, but it wasn't intended to be. The kicker didn't hit the ball correctly off the tee and that's how that play ended up the way it did.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

and we all know coaches NEVER lie to cover a players mistake right? Just ask Bilichick, he'll tell you the truth. But wait, Chan's a good ole boy, so he would never lie like that. You know the Patriots never videotaped other teams either, right?

So he threw Stevie under the bus to protect his backup kicker?

No, he only kicked at Michigan. And nobody ever practices squib kicks. They're too fancy.

Yeah see tons of squibs in college every Saturday :lol: College kickers can barely kick FGs over 40 yards with consistency. They spend 95% or more of their time practicing FGs I'm guessing.

So he threw Stevie under the bus to protect his backup kicker?

Don't see where I mentioned that anywhere, but you can go with that thought.

Well then Rayner has apparently never been coached how to squib a kick the proper way. He put everything he had into that kick and shanked it. Even that dope Gannon saw that and i think he's been around football a little more than you or I.

I'm not comparing Johnson to Rice....some people are so sensitive. Jerry rice dropped passes, and even TD passes. He is human just like every other player in the league. Like someone posted earlier, these guys aren't freaking robots. Players makes mistakes.....yes, even the good ones. I know that is hard for some of you to believe but it's reality.

How many games does Stevie's "humanity" have to cost us before we wake up and realize he's a chump?

Wow, now I know why I don't post here much anymore....too many people with zero football sense. I was at the Bills/Jets game at the Ralph three weeks ago and watched Burress openly taunt the Bills sidelines. What's wrong with giving it back. Did no one see Maybin taunting the Bills sideline today after his sacks? Yeah Johnson has no class cause he is basically the only player on this team with a sack. He got penalized, and took full blame for losing the game afterwards. And Rayner was NOT trying to squib that kickoff. The replay clearly showed him trying to hit it as hard as he could and he missed the ball. When a kicker wants to squib a kick, he doesn't try to drive it into the one player standing in the middle of the field anyways. If the Bills had any coaches with half a brain they would have told Raynor to just kick the ball out of bounds and let the Jets have the ball at their own 40. Until today Sanchez was only completing 50% of his fourth quarter passes. I don't know if he missed one today, the Bills defense made him look like Joe Montana. Anyone remember Jerry Rice? You know that WR that NEVER dropped a pass in his career??? :wallbash: Some people are ridiculous. :blink:

Yeah Stevie owes Plaxico an apology, cause he was there that night and distracted Burress while he was dancing around with loaded guns like a jackass and shot himself. Give me a break. He owes Goodell and no one else an apology.

A new twist ... The old "they did it to us so I am gong to do it to them", circa Grades 3 thru 7.

What wrong with giving it back? Nothing. Just do it on the field with your play. Johnson's method of "giving it back" cost us a big penalty. Was it worth it? Did it make it all better for you? Too bad Johnson choked when the big play was needed. I bet the Jets had a nice laugh on drive home.

So there are three camps now:

1 - it's fun and good for the game, I need cool celebrations to be entertained

2 - they did it to us so lets do it back,

3 - it is not necessary and could actually fire up the other team, or worse come back to haunt you.

I guess sportmanship is dead today so why bother to explain it?

Edited by Bob in STL

Rayzer, you're a good poster and I don't think we've ever crossed like this before. I do realize Stevie is human and that humans drop footballs. I'm just saying that he doesn't need to do all the other stuff and that him doing it today very possibly cost us the game. It certainly didn't help us.

As for the botched squib, humans miss kicks too. And that 53-yarder shows he's not exactly some duffer off the street, but we should have realized it last week when he kicked the longest FG ever by a Bill not named Steve Christie. A squib made football sense. He messed it up. But if hadn't been for the mental mistake by Stevie, Rayner doesn't get put in position to make a physical mistake. And mental errors are far less excusable.

Edited by BRH

Plaxico Burress is the one that is a baller. Superbowl winner (game winning catch too) and all-pro for several years. What about that catch Plax made today on 3rd down. Now way Stevie makes that catch 1 out of 10 attempts.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but that one handed catch Stevie made that was called out of bounds, the replay looked like he was in bounds to me and when they showed Gailey after the very next play, he had the red hanky in his hand but never threw it. I think the Bills ran the next play to quick and didn't give themselves enough time to check the replays. But if made that catch and it was in bounds....it was better than Plaxicos circus catch.

Rayzer, you're a good poster and I don't think we've ever crossed like this before. I do realize Stevie is human and that humans drop footballs. I'm just saying that he doesn't need to do all the other stuff and that him doing it today very possibly cost us the game. It certainly didn't help us.

As for the botched squib, humans miss kicks too.

I know man, it's just seeing the people that want to run him out of town, like this city has done to many other decent players, tends to hit a nerve w me. I've been watching this team for about 40 years and have never thought they should just cut or trade someone cause the fans are calling for it.....except for McGahee maybe, he was an arsehole. I think Stevie is one of the top players on this team and he definitely makes more plays than he misses.

I'm just a little ornery tonight, this team makes me that way. I apologize for anything I may have said to disrespect you.

Jeebus--you're kidding, right? Chan would fabricate a detailed rationale for a call he made in order to cover a shanked kickoff??

Edited by Mr. WEO

Im sorry but that play is 100% on Fitz. Blaming that 'drop' of SJ would be equal to blaming SJs drop (on the post) on Fitzpatrick. There was also the other sure fire TD Fitz threw 8 feet over SJs head later on.

Why blame the loss on Stevie when that drop didnt prevent them from getting in scoring position? He wasnt going to score and they were down there anyways and had two perfect opportunities to win the game that Fitz blew bc he cant throw a decent pass when it matters.

From what I saw, that was a duff... it wasnt a squib on purpose

I'm pretty sure he was going to score, and if he didn't, he'd be on the one or two.

Does anybody remember that Jim Kelly threw in INT the play after Ronnie Harmon dropped the ball? No........Because Harmon had the game in his hands and dropped it. At least he only did it to us once.

How many games does Stevie's "humanity" have to cost us before we wake up and realize he's a chump?

As many as Fitz's overthrow's, INT's, never knowing when to audible, or how many times the defense can't stop a 3rd and long costs us games?? Tons of chumps in the league and there always will be. Football is an incredibly intense sport and some people react to certain things differently than others. This is not a league full of angels.

First off, Chan Gailey said this in his press conference about the squib kick.

You don't understand football. Either way you kick it you will be playing with a short field. By taking the penalty the kickoff is now at the 20 yard line instead of the 35. Typically a kickoff at the 35 yard line is either a touchback or a return from the endzone. Now kicking off at the 20 yard line the ball will be returned starting at the 10 or 15 yard line. The ball is now getting returned 100% of the time and now by the best returner in the league.

Now what the squib does is it can potentially take the ball out of the main returner hands and it can prevent setting up blocks for the returner. Its used to limit the BIG PLAY - the momentum killer. The Jets have the #1 return game in the NFL and that is why you squib the ball in that situation. Its not a strange call by any means, its the correct call!

Not buying it.

What genius would call a squib kick on your own 20 yard line? Even if it was a good squib, they'd have the ball near mid-field. Might as well have kicked the ball out of bounds, and taken the penalty (ball at 40).