Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a mediocre coach for the Cowboys, a team with a great roster (yes, Aikman/Irvin/Smith and the o-line were still good, as was the D).

I disagree with you there. The Cowboys were 6-10 in 1997, the year prior to Gailey being hired, followed by three straight 5-11 finishes beginning in 2000 after he was fired. They were a team in sharp decline by that point, yet Gailey had them playing competitive football when the other two couldn't.

Whats that got to do with anything??????

It's relevant because most of the rest of the so-called brain trust is superannuated, and this is par for the course. Look at as an outsider for a second: the franchise is a joke. No one wants to come here who's any good, and the Bills have been reduced to hiring a guy who suffered the same fate as Turk Schonert five months ago.

Chan !@#$ing Gailey is not the !@#$ing answer. I won't waste my time arguing this point with anyone who isn't intelligent enough to understand.

First of all, I'm going to ignore the insult. And I never said that he was the answer. I believe that no coach would have been the answer. Unless that coach can block and/or read a defense, the Bills would continue to lose. Vince Lombardi could have maybe coached this team to 8-8.

I disagree with you there. The Cowboys were 6-10 in 1997, the year prior to Gailey being hired, followed by three straight 5-11 finishes beginning in 2000 after he was fired. They were a team in sharp decline by that point, yet Gailey had them playing competitive football when the other two couldn't.

Disagree. They were a mess in 1997, to be sure, but that was the Switerpalooza effect more than anything (they were dominating in 1995, after all, and won the division in 1997). They still had a talented team. I do think that once you hit 2000, the talented guys were definitely at the end of the line.

No matter how many homers come out in this thread, hiring Gailey will be seen as another in a long line of ridiculous moves by Ralph since TD was fired. Levy, Jauron, promoting Brandon, keeping DJ, not going outside the team for a GM, and now perhaps Gailey.

Buffalo continues to take people off the scrap heap and pronounce them lost treasure. Well, the gold paint will be chipping real soon from those "gold" bars.

How many solid coaches go 10 years between NFL HC jobs?

It's relevant because most of the rest of the so-called brain trust is superannuated, and this is par for the course. Look at as an outsider for a second: the franchise is a joke. No one wants to come here who's any good, and the Bills have been reduced to hiring a guy who suffered the same fate as Turk Schonert five months ago.

Are you really comparing Schonert to Gailey? Gailey has been to the playoffs 11 out of 14 seasons in the pros (including twice in 2 seasons as a head coach), has a winning record at the college level and a national championship. There is no comparison except that Gailey got fired by an egomanic who led his team to 4 wins.

I have reason to believe this is your new head coach. I am not completely 100%, but would not post it in this manner if I did not think it was credible. There are no links for this information. I know it will be ugly if I am wrong, but I thought you would want the information.

Could be as soon as tomorrow.

My favorite quotes about Gailey:

1) "He’s a solid football man. Alas, solid isn’t a synonym for “inspired.”"

2) "He knows a lot about football. You could do worse than having him around. But you could also do better."

3) "If he wasn’t quite the definition of mediocrity, he was close."

4) "People hire him because he’s a nice fellow and he knows football, and then they dump him, as Jerry Jones did in Dallas after two playoff seasons, because he doesn’t inspire a team to higher heights."

5) "...that’s Chan Gailey. At getting hired, he’s among the very best."

A PERFECT FIT FOR BUFFALO!!

Thurman still tweeting about it:

"Listen people, I know everyone hates Miami and that I played there. How wld u like if they gave the job to Parcells?"

"And by the way, I asked Jimbo about it and he said go for it!!!!"

Still don't understand what him having a heart attack has to do with his coaching ability. I think Ditka had a heart attack when he was in his prime as a coach. If the guy can coach,I could care less if he was in a wheelchair. Also,Schonerts situation was much different. Gailey was a holdover from the previous regime. The new GM and HC wanted their own guy as OC.

Still don't understand what him having a heart attack has to do with his coaching ability. I think Ditka had a heart attack when he was in his prime as a coach. If the guy can coach,I could care less if he was in a wheelchair. Also,Schonerts situation was much different. Gailey was a holdover from the previous regime. The new GM and HC wanted their own guy as OC.

He's such a BAD choice.

We ould have Frazier and have at least hope.

Gailey is the death of hope for 3 more years.

Disagree. They were a mess in 1997, to be sure, but that was the Switerpalooza effect more than anything (they were dominating in 1995, after all, and won the division in 1997). They still had a talented team. I do think that once you hit 2000, the talented guys were definitely at the end of the line.

They still had talent, yes, but they were not the Cowboys team that had won the Super Bowl. They were much like the Bills of 1994-1996. They were still capable of competing for a playoff spot, but they were no longer close to the dominant team they once were.

Thurman still tweeting about it:

"Listen people, I know everyone hates Miami and that I played there. How wld u like if they gave the job to Parcells?"

"And by the way, I asked Jimbo about it and he said go for it!!!!"

Is there some context here or is that as much gibberish as it seems?

More like Art Shell in Oakland. This is the worst hire in the NFL in recent memory, bar none.

tHis is one of the worst posts in this board's history. Yow know nothing about Gailey do you? I'm not going to say he is the guy i wanted but your post is so dumb. He has a winning record at both college and the pros (2 playoff berths) & a national championship. He really is a worse hire than Norv turner and his 2 failed head coaching stints?

Is there some context here or is that as much gibberish as it seems?

Thurman had said that Gailey was a no-nonesense guy in Miami. I guess people were giving him guff, but he's saying you wouldn't be moaning about Miami if we were hiring Parcells...

Pappazoid,

1.get a new avatar

2. Anyone can copy and paste wiki

3. C'mon man come up with something original.

Look folks this isn't that hard to comprehend. The Bills wanted someone with HC experience Chan Gailey has that not only does he have that he made it to the playoffs each year. 2nd they wanted an offensive minded coach which Chan Gailey has been very successful at. 3rd Even Thigpen was a good year under Gailey when he was at KC so maybe there is still hope for the mess we have at the QB position right now.

He's such a BAD choice.

We ould have Frazier and have at least hope.

Gailey is the death of hope for 3 more years.

I don't know if he's a bad choice or not. I don't know enough about him yet. I'm gonna withhold judgement until I learn more. The things I have posted are not opinions or judgements,just facts.

i found this

HAs anyone been able o track down who was on Gailey's coaching staff in Dallas except for Dave Campo?

This is all I could find. It is a team photo from the 1998 season which lists all the names of the players and coaches but does not specify the coaches official positions.

and this

and here is a partial list of coaches from a fan site

Here are some things said about Gailey after Jones fired him as coach of Cowboys:

"Jones was looking for a creative offensive mind who could also be a disciplinarian the last time around, when he was looking for a replacement to Barry Switzer. After a long search, Jones proclaimed ''Chan's the man!'' at a news conference announcing Gailey's hiring in February 1998.

But the 48-year-old Gailey wasn't the answer in either area.

The offense fizzled late in his first season and rarely clicked this past season. In '99, Dallas led the NFL in penalties and penalty yards. Gailey, who also was the offensive coordinator, believed in mixing things up to keep defenses guessing. It was in his contract that he called the plays, and his choices wavered between too radical and too conservative. Gailey's approach didn't highlight the strengths of Aikman and running back Emmitt Smith.

The quarterback was often frustrated and he resorted to way too many dump-off passes. The biggest example of Smith being misused is the fact Dallas went 4-5 in his 100-yard games this season after being 53-9 in them the previous nine years.

The Cowboys went 10-6 in Gailey's first season, winning the NFC East and becoming the first team to go 8-0 in division play. But division rival Arizona got even by winning a first-round playoff game 20-7 in Texas Stadium. It was Dallas' first home playoff loss since 1993.

This past season opened with three wins followed by losses in nine of the next 14. Four teams beat Dallas by scoring just 13 points; all four were on the road, where the Cowboys lost eight straight, including a 27-10 loss to Minnesota in a wild-card game.

The Cowboys wasted six fourth-quarter leads and were within a touchdown in the final quarter of two more. They were 1-7 in games decided by seven points or fewer, including 0-3 in games decided by three or fewer. To Gailey's credit, the team never gave up on the field or became divided in the locker room. If players didn't like the offense, none of them said so publicly.

Hey...sounds JUST LIKE BILLS UNDER DICK JAURON!!!

-Lots of dump off passes by the QB

-blows fourth quarter leads

-loses close games

-loses games where teams score under 2 touchdowns because team can't score points

-everyone likes him

-offense fizzled late in the first year he was there and didn't do much in the second year

-undisciplined team that gets lots of penalties

I have reason to believe this is your new head coach. I am not completely 100%, but would not post it in this manner if I did not think it was credible. There are no links for this information. I know it will be ugly if I am wrong, but I thought you would want the information.

Could be as soon as tomorrow.

If you are correct, I won't be able to decide if I should pat you on the back or kick you in the rump.

By the way whats with the 'your' ? Which team's fan are you ?

I'm willing to give him a chance he's got a winning record. Bottom line if Nix gets good players this guy can win if Nix doesn't coach search 2012.

Knowing how Brandon thinks I'm thinking the 2010 splash is going to be a trade for either McNabb or Vick.

He better be a good choice or we'll be back at this in 2 to 3 years!!!

it was an interesting read and if it were the mid-1990's i'd be loving it.

my first thought was to run to OBD and yell "YER THINKIN WITH YER DIPSTICK BUDDY!" while knee capping BN with a, well, a dipstick.

I'll be sick about it for a while, come August we'll suit up for another go at it.

HAs anyone been able o track down who was on Gailey's coaching staff in Dallas except for Dave Campo?

I posted in another thread about Jon Tenuta, who is currently between jobs after the Weis firing at Notre Dame. I don't think Brian Kelly has plans to retain him, and not sure if he'd be interested anyway. Here's my other post:

Look for the possibility of Jon Tenuta. He and Gailey worked together at Georgia Tech, the last time Gailey had the power to choose a DC. In fact, Tenuta was the assistant HC at Tech and they had a successful defense during their tenure together there.

Tenuta then went on to Notre Dame the last 2 years as Assistant HC, Defensive Coordinator and LB coach and pretty much failed there, but before that he was a very hot commodity in the college ranks.

When he was with Gailey, they made a good team, relatively speaking.

Jon Tenuta - Georgia Tech

While I don't really like or hate this hire yet (I want to see who the DC will be and OC....if there will be one...will be along with the rest of the staff before I make any opinions), everyone needs to remember where we are coming from.

Just remember how this team has looked on offense the last 3-4 years......IT CAN'T GET WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our punter has been our best player!!!! The offense CAN'T GET WORSE!!!!!!!!! Now, I am not saying it will become good enough to win big, but there is at least a chance of that happening! HA! As for the defense....well, our defense was not that bad, so we'll see where we go from here.

Let's just wait and see who he brings with him and see if it can work at that point. But you can be sure our offense will not be worse. It just can't be.........