Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know. I wasn't really serious about wanting Paul Johnson as coach (although my guess is someone as smart as him would figure out a way to adjust eventually to the NFL, given experience). Just pointing out the extreme disappointment of the thought of Gailey being the next Bills head coach.

I hear ya, bro....I really thought this hire was going to get me fired up for the future, but now I'm not so sure. I'm willing to give the guy a chance, but the move itself does nothing to excite me. :wallbash:

Chan Gailey has had success everywhere he has been.

breakout the kool-aid.

Gailey moved to the National Football League , when the Denver Broncos signed him as a defensive assistant and special teams coach. The team made three Super Bowl appearances during his six-year tenure. In 1991, Gailey left the NFL to become the head coach of the Birmingham Fire of the World League of American Football, where the team made the playoffs in both years that he was coach.

After a one-year stint as head coach at Samford University, he returned to the NFL with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After starting off as coach for the wide receivers, then moved up to offensive coordinator for the 1996 and 1997 NFL seasons. The Steelers won their division all four years, and made one Super Bowl appearance.

In 1998, Gailey was hired to take over a struggling Dallas Cowboys squad, one that had faltered under Barry Switzer during his last year. Gailey's Cowboys won the NFC East in 1998, and made the playoffs under his two years at the reins, although they failed to win a playoff game. Gailey is the only Cowboys coach to make the playoffs every season with his team.

Gailey returned to the offensive coordinator role, this time with the Miami Dolphins for the 2000 and 2001 seasons. Who posted consecutive 11-5 seasons

This is not such a bad thing. He has been a very good offensive coordinator with Pittsburg and Miami going to the playoffs and Superbowl. He went to the playoffs as head coach of Dallas. We has a winning NFL record. We can't find a coach with experience who has won. I am OK with it. Rather have Billick but lets move forward. :wallbash:

Yeah, I know. I wasn't really serious about wanting Paul Johnson as coach (although my guess is someone as smart as him would figure out a way to adjust eventually to the NFL, given experience). Just pointing out the extreme disappointment of the thought of Gailey being the next Bills head coach.

Looking at Gailey's track record , I can't say its that bad , at all. Having said that , I feel totally let down if he is the new HC. I really wanted a HC , whos respected around the league , to come in and rejuvanate this team , based solely on his reputation , and then back it up with a solid next year. Chan Gailey is not that guy. But , in all honesty , I would take him over Frazier.

Here is the last entry for him in Wikipedia:

(2008-present)

Gailey was hired on January 16, 2008 to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. Gailey inherited a Chiefs offense that ranked at the bottom of the league in almost every category the previous season.[13] He was demoted after three pre-season games in 2009 and relieved of playcalling duties by head coach Todd Haley.[14]

Any one else feeling underwhelmed here? Why not Rich Kotite or Bud Carson?

They could do worse. I'm not thrilled about the possibility, but its no less underwhelming to me than Frazier or most of these other guys. The only one I'd definitely put higher on the list is Jason Garrett, but I think he'll reject the job.

On the bright side, he'd be a far better choice than Dick Jauron ever was.

Mods:

Time to break out the old "Dick Jauron Hired" threads, change the name to Chan Gailey, and save us all some time and hassle.

Ya know, had this move occurred 10 weeks ago, it would not reek of desperation. It is what it is....the last name on Buddy's good ol' boy rolodex of favors...