Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

I just heard something that Gailey got on the Bills radar when Cowher mentioned him as his OC if he were to coach again. So at least Bill Cowher thought enough of him to consider him for his staff. Does that make him a good HC? Based on his record he's not a home run, but at least he's had a winning record.

PTR

I figured Cowher was the one behind this he recommend Chan for his job when he left Pitt.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His Resume is pretty solid. The college record is not important, recuiting is the name of that game .

two playoffs years with Dallas on a team that fell of a cliff after he left.

Plus a lot of good work in other places. No this is not the glamor name we wanted but at least we have a solid football guy. I am sure he has enough contacts to put together a coaching staff .

bottom line this is not a disaster . Time as always will tell

So we go from mediocrity in the pros (DJ Mr. 7-9) to mediocrity in the NCAA (CG Mr 7-5).

I'd rather we'd have kept DJ. And I think he was one of the worst football coaches in the past 30 NFL seasons.

That's taking it too far, imo. I would rather have Gailey than Jauron.

I guess that's the silver lining. We still upgraded at head coach.

That was fast...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

Thomas Chandler Gailey, Jr. (born January 5, 1952, in Gainesville, Georgia) is a candidate as American football coach for the Buffalo Bills who last served as offensive coordinator for the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs. He was formerly head coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team and the Dallas Cowboys.

Gailey had previously served as offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins in 2000–01 when the Dolphins posted consecutive 11–5 records. He was on the Pittsburgh Steelers staff from 1994-97 when the Steelers won four straight AFC Central titles and played in one Super Bowl (XXX). He was offensive coordinator in 1997 when Pittsburgh ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense and seventh in scoring.[1] Gailey served as the offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2008 and three games of the 2009 pre-season before he was relieved of duties by Chiefs head coach Todd Haley.

Chan Gailey is now the leading candidate for the vacant Buffalo Bills head coaching job. He is expected to be named their coach in the next 24-48 hours.

[edit]

Not that I care, but the Bills will be accused of being racist for hiring Gailey. Not by many but by a few. I can already picture Wilbon on PTI railing against the hiring of a retread white coach instead of Frazier.

Again, I personally don't care one way or another. Just predicting that a few accusations of racism will come.

no way

I just heard something that Gailey got on the Bills radar when Cowher mentioned him as his OC if he were to coach again. So at least Bill Cowher thought enough of him to consider him for his staff. Does that make him a good HC? Based on his record he's not a home run, but at least he's had a winning record.

PTR

No.

Everything about this career as a HC says mediocrity. Quite a few guys can be decent OCs or DCs - Mularkey, Williams hello.

His Resume is pretty solid. The college record is not important, recuiting is the name of that game .

Plus a lot of good work in other places. No this is not the glamor name we wanted but at least we have a solid football guy. I am sure he has enough contacts to put together a coaching staff .

He's not a sexy hire. The Bills will get a daft of crap for this but his record is not that bad. All we can do is hope it works.

PTR

It really is appalling.

For those of you who (PTR) kept touting the "Russ Brandon is on our side" deal and "Russ is going to pull through bc as a marketing guy, he knows what Bills fans want".

Well, either I was wrong in saying that Russ runs the show (bc clearly this is not an inspiring move) or Russ Brandon is not the marketing genius everyone thought. I will say that this looks like a Buddy Nix/Ralph Wilson hire.

And, everyone who keeps saying that Gailey can run an offense. Well you know what? Dick Jauron could run a defense. And that is how he was sold to Bills fans when Levy/Wilson hired him.

I want a leader and an all around coach. There was every indication that Frazier was that guy. Not to mention, as a long time coordinator with HC aspirations, I imagine he has a group of loyal people that he would have taken with him to Buffalo.

Who the hell is Gailey going to bring with him? The guy has been in and out of jobs for his entire professional career. I certainly wouldn't want to sign on to that.

Just gross. I hope the Bills are eviscerated in the press.

Having a lot of job means having a lot of contacts . He will put a good staff together at least on the o side

d side will see

Hank and Kay beat anyone hands down.

Ah yes, what a glorious time in Bills' history...

After serving as a quarterbacks coach the previous season, Kay Stephenson succeeded Chuck Knox as Buffalo Bills head coach on February 3, 1984. Stephenson was reportedly surprised to get the job, claiming that Bills owner Ralph Wilson "never explained his reasons for selecting me." Under Stephenson, the Bills went 8-8 in 1983, 2-14 in 1984,and after losing the first four games of 1985, Stephenson was replaced by Hank Bullough.

link

And just think - that brilliant personnel move occurred when RW was a youthful 65!

DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!

It really is appalling.

For those of you who (PTR) kept touting the "Russ Brandon is on our side" deal and "Russ is going to pull through bc as a marketing guy, he knows what Bills fans want".

Well, either I was wrong in saying that Russ runs the show (bc clearly this is not an inspiring move) or Russ Brandon is not the marketing genius everyone thought. I will say that this looks like a Buddy Nix/Ralph Wilson hire.

And, everyone who keeps saying that Gailey can run an offense. Well you know what? Dick Jauron could run a defense. And that is how he was sold to Bills fans when Levy/Wilson hired him.

I want a leader and an all around coach. There was every indication that Frazier was that guy. Not to mention, as a long time coordinator with HC aspirations, I imagine he has a group of loyal people that he would have taken with him to Buffalo.

Who the hell is Gailey going to bring with him? The guy has been in and out of jobs for his entire professional career. I certainly wouldn't want to sign on to that.

Just gross. I hope the Bills are eviscerated in the press.

It all comes back to Ralph. Russ can't do anything without Ralph's okay. You want to blame Russ, go ahead. Blame the janitors and the ticket takers while you're at it.

PTR

yeah. It's foolish not to give somebody an opportunity to prove you wrong about your first impression. But it's not an inspiring choice. The real test of course is wins and losses. "Hot" coaching candidates flame out just as often as dull ones.

if it ends up being Gailey I wonder who he plans on bringing in for the defense

Not that I care, but the Bills will be accused of being racist for hiring Gailey. Not by many but by a few. I can already picture Wilbon on PTI railing against the hiring of a retread white coach instead of Frazier.

Again, I personally don't care one way or another. Just predicting that a few accusations of racism will come.

I was thinking the same thing. But, it's likely going to come out that all the minority coaches turned us down.

And regardless who the "GM" is, at least now we know who really has been picking the HCs.