Live 2024 NFL Draft thread - Round 1 (Do NOT tip the Bills pick)

Simon

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I would have loved it. It would have been risky, but bold and aggressive.

We will see you back when Worthy sends us home in January for you to tell us “no one could predict he’d be good.”

He will be on IR in January unless he bulks up significantly.  

The NFL is a different beast then college ball. 

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He will be on IR in January unless he bulks up significantly.  

The NFL is a different beast then college ball. 

Just like Devonta Smith was gonna snap in half 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Just like Tank Dell was gonna snap in half…..while run blocking 

17 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

Seems like they go Dejean then trade up for one of the WR. If they go WR at #33, what's their plan for #60? Trade back again? 

I’m thinking it’s Dejean or Newton first, then trade up for WR and hope you don’t miss them.  

if we go WR, I think we could look to trade up for Jenkins or Fiske, whichever falls furthest, if at all

57 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Wait…why can’t he play corner in the nfl? Great athleticism and production in college. First team All-American, Big 10 Defensive Back of the Year.

image.thumb.jpeg.1975f54804747d0e491b4be3bf94dcc2.jpeg

Wanna bet he doesn’t play corner in the NFL?

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wanna bet he doesn’t play corner in the NFL?

If he gets drafted by the Bills he might not because we need a safety. But if he gets drafted by a team that needs a corner I can’t see why not. (I don’t bet)

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

It's like pro wrestling. The Chiefs and Bills are really friends behind the scenes.

We need to assume the turncoat, heel role....kind of like the Hulkster when he joined the nWo.  I would jump Worthy, hit him with a chair, throw him through a table (very Billsy) and leg drop him when he gets off the plane in KC.

1 hour ago, Success said:

How did we help the Chiefs?

Allowed them to move up and take a player they actually wanted.   

yes, they may have still drafted him had they not traded up.  But, they may not have had that opportunity.  Clearly they thought there was a need to trade up to ensure they got him.   We made sure that could happen.    Is another later round pick really that great?   I guess time will tell. But at some point all these brilliant moves need to at least get us to the championship game.  

Just now, Dan said:

Allowed them to move up and take a player they actually wanted.   

yes, they may have still drafted him had they not traded up.  But, they may not have had that opportunity.  Clearly they thought there was a need to trade up to ensure they got him.   We made sure that could happen.    Is another later round pick really that great?   I guess time will tell. But at some point all these brilliant moves need to at least get us to the championship game.  

I think KC gave up capital that they didn't need to give up.  I don't think SF was taking Worthy.

We'll never know, of course.  But I don't see it as lending KC any kind of helping hand. If anything, they gave us a 3rd rounder for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

I think KC gave up capital that they didn't need to give up.  I don't think SF was taking Worthy.

We'll never know, of course.  But I don't see it as lending KC any kind of helping hand. If anything, they gave us a 3rd rounder for nothing.

They possibly gave it up for nothing.  I agree.  But they may have lost the WR they wanted.  Agreed, we’ll never know now.  

Either way we allowed the team that kicks our ass in the playoffs every year to work their board the way they wanted.  

I don’t think worthy is quite the prospect Devonta smith was even if neither guy breaks in half lol. He doesn’t have the same release ability and isn’t gonna be as good catching balls in traffic 

29 minutes ago, Dan said:

They possibly gave it up for nothing.  I agree.  But they may have lost the WR they wanted.  Agreed, we’ll never know now.  

Either way we allowed the team that kicks our ass in the playoffs every year to work their board the way they wanted.  

I mean it’s easy to play the what if game in either direction right now lol. Beane finds gems in the day 2 range and they gifted us an earlier pick there.  I think these knee jerk reactions are just mahomes trade spillover honestly, if anyone got played it’s probably the chiefs. 

‘kicks our ass’ is a bit of a stretch haha 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

You literally cannot compare the slim reaper with worthy LOL 

One was a dominant sec player who put up record-breaking numbers winning the Heisman .. is as smooth as they come 

The other is a glorified track star with suspect hands..  who is 163 lb soaking wet

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I keep hearing the from the guys here in DFW, specifically Bryan Broaddus and his crew....that Jackson Powers Johnson has both a medical red flag and then an off the field red flag causing him to be taken off of some teams boards.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DJB said:

Tom Pollesero on NFL network says right now he believes the Bills stick and pick at 33

Agree, unless a couple of teams have a 1st round grade on a player they really want, and some kind of bidding war starts.

Beane makes the pick or trades for a very favorable deal.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You literally cannot compare the slim reaper with worthy LOL 

One was a dominant sec player who put up record-breaking numbers winning the Heisman .. is as smooth as they come 

The other is a glorified track star with suspect hands..  who is 163 lb soaking wet

Yeah yeah and all we heard was that Devonta’s frame was gonna keep him out of the top ten and he wasn’t gonna be able to stay healthy lol

• Like (+1) 1

Greg Cossell just said Ad Mitchell has off the field Issues but is a great wr adding that a league source told him he had him as his 3rd best wr over Odunze in the draft

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah yeah and all we heard was that Devonta’s frame was gonna keep him out of the top ten and he wasn’t gonna be able to stay healthy lol

I certainly never said that...

And how much college ball do you watch? If you watch a lot and you honestly think they are comparable players I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn... Devonte is as smooth as they come... A bevy of release moves to defeat press with immaculate hands 

Worthy struggles catching the football... Which is a major component of a wide receiver... Struggles to get off college press and cannot win contested catches 

He has a lot to even become an average starter in the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I certainly never said that...

And how much college ball do you watch? If you watch a lot and you honestly think they are comparable players I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn... Devonte is as smooth as they come... A bevy of release moves to defeat press with immaculate hands 

Worthy struggles catching the football... Which is a major component of a wide receiver... Struggles to get off college press and cannot win contested catches 

He has a lot to even become an average starter in the NFL

I’m talking about their frames and builds, not their game.

27 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Greg Cossell just said Ad Mitchell has off the field Issues but is a great wr adding that a league source told him he had him as his 3rd best wr over Odunze in the draft

He has better measurables, he's just someone you need a good supporting cast around to keep his head straight...I think we have that culture 

6 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

Did anyone else think Mike Greenberg was a total ass-hat at the end of the first round when he went on and on about how bad the Bills’ moves were?  Dude, you’re a jets fan!

He said today that the Chiefs won the 1st round. 

Hes a clown 

Franklin was a top 3 wr recruit coming out of high school, rated higher than every single wr in this draft. Joe Brady was a big fan and tried hard to get him to LSU. 

Franklin's college career reaffirmed that he was one of the very best. If he had been healthy at the combine he would be off the board already imo. I consider him a top 4 wr in this draft and would rather have him than Thomas, Worthy, Mitchell, Legette, etc. 

I hope he is the target

• Like (+1) 1

Things I didn't know until now - Ad Mitchell has Type 1 diabetes and can be a behavior problem when he doesn't pay strict attention to his management plan.  Seems like a solvable issue.   He may be off the Bills board..

Here was his write up in Dane Brugler's The Athletic draft guide..

6. ADONAI MITCHELL | Texas 6022 | 205 lbs. | 3JR Missouri City, Texas (Cane Ridge) 10/8/2002 (age 21.55) #5 BACKGROUND:

Adonai (ADD-an-I) “AD” Mitchell, the youngest of four boys, was born and raised in Missouri City (20 miles southwest of Houston). His mother (Darcy Padgett), a former model, and father (Norman Mitchell), a former stand-up comedian and actor, moved to Houston in 2000 and founded the Bee Busy Wellness Center, a nonprofit organization geared towards low-income individuals and families. In pee-wee and youth football, Mitchell was the kid with the ball in his hands and primarily played quarterback. His older brothers played basketball, but after trying it for two years, Mitchell decided that sport wasn’t for him. He spent his freshman year of high school at Westbury Christian School (a private school in Houston), and the coaches kept him at quarterback.

To raise his recruiting profile, Mitchell transferred to Ridge Point High School (class 6A school in Fort Bend County) prior to his sophomore season and moved to wide receiver. As a junior in 2018, he earned second team All-District honors with 25 receptions for 378 yards and nine offensive touchdowns (five rushing, three receiving, one passing). He helped Ridge Point to a 10-2 record and the 2018 district championship. With Mitchell still struggling to garner recruiting attention, his father moved to the Nashville area for a year so his son could train with Buck Fitzgerald at the National Playmakers Academy. Mitchell transferred to Cane Ridge High School in Antioch, Tenn., for his senior season in 2019. After filling in at quarterback for the first three games, he moved back to wide receiver and led the team with 49 catches for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns. Mitchell helped Cane Ridge to a 9-4 record and state playoff appearance, and he was named the 2019 Region 5 -6A Athlete of the Year. A four-star recruit, Mitchell was the No. 63 wide receiver in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in Tennessee. He was originally in the 2020 recruiting class but decided to reclassify to the 2021 class and spent the ‘20 season training.

After moving to Tennessee for his senior season, Mitchell attended several recruiting camps and received his first FBS offers (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee). He picked up an offer from Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin in January 2020 and committed a few months later. However, Mitchell continued receiving offers (Auburn and Texas) and taking visits. In July 2020, he flipped his commitment to Georgia and former offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Mitchell enrolled early and was the No. 16 recruit in head coach Kirby Smart’s 2021 class (top receiver in the class). His daughter (Icylinn) was born in the summer of 2021, and Mitchell’s parents have been raising her while Mitchell has been i n school.

After two national championships in two seasons in Athens, Mitchell entered the portal with the intention of moving closer to his daughter, and he transferred to Texas — a two-hour car ride away. After one season in Austin, Mitchell elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Long, limber and loose athlete … long-striding acceleration to quickly reach his top speed … light-footed and fluid in his releases and at the top of routes to stem his way over the top of corners (see his stutter-and-go touchdown vs. Alabama in 2023) … able to gear down on command to drive corners off the route and give his quarterback a clean target … flashes extra juice when the ball is in the air … able to high point with outstanding body control for in-air adjustments … tracks the ball into his hands (one drop over the last two seasons) … grew up competing with three older brothers, and his toughness stands out on tape … al ways looking for someone to block … led the Big 12 in touchdowns in 2023 … competes with big-play swagger and has a history of clutch touchdowns in his team’s most important games (caught the go-ahead touchdown in Georgia’s 2021 national title victory).

WEAKNESSES: Owns a modest build with lean features and stringy muscle tone … below-average play strength, and physical defensive backs will give him trouble early and late in the route … catch radius casts a wide net, but he has smallish hands and doesn’t always play strong to the football (caught just four contested balls in 2023) … his route running loses rhythm at times, and he needs to be more consistently deliberate with each step … averaged just 3.2 YAC in 2023 and is not known for his creativity or ability to break tackles after the catch … wasn’t a high-volume target in college (three or fewer catches in 10 of his 14 games at Texas) … missed most of the 2022 season at Georgia because of a high left ankle sprain (September 2022).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas, Mitchell was an outside wide receiver in head coach Steve Sarkisian’s spread, RPO offense. After helping Georgia win a pair of national championships, he transferred to Texas (to be closer to his daughter) and helped the Longhorns reach the College Football Playoffs. He also became just the fifth player in Texas history with 11 touchdown grabs in a single season. Despite some wasted movements in his routes that need to be tightened up, Mitchell cleanly accelerates/decelerates at will with the fluid movement skills to create separation out of his breaks (his 81.8 percent first down/touchdown rate in 2 023 was the best among the receivers in this draft class). Though not the strongest player through contact, he has the hand-eye coordination and pliable frame to adjust, high point and reach throws most receivers cannot. Overall, Mitchell needs to become a more detail-focused receiver to fully unlock his talent, but he has the body length, loose athleticism and catch-pointskills to be a chain-moving weapon. He projects as a rangy, outside-the-numbers target with the lean, limber body type reminiscent of the late Chris Henry. GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 33 overall)

18 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Things I didn't know until now - Ad Mitchell has Type 1 diabetes and can be a behavior problem when he doesn't pay strict attention to his management plan.  Seems like a solvable issue.   He may be off the Bills board..

Here was his write up in Dane Brugler's The Athletic draft guide..

6. ADONAI MITCHELL | Texas 6022 | 205 lbs. | 3JR Missouri City, Texas (Cane Ridge) 10/8/2002 (age 21.55) #5 BACKGROUND:

Adonai (ADD-an-I) “AD” Mitchell, the youngest of four boys, was born and raised in Missouri City (20 miles southwest of Houston). His mother (Darcy Padgett), a former model, and father (Norman Mitchell), a former stand-up comedian and actor, moved to Houston in 2000 and founded the Bee Busy Wellness Center, a nonprofit organization geared towards low-income individuals and families. In pee-wee and youth football, Mitchell was the kid with the ball in his hands and primarily played quarterback. His older brothers played basketball, but after trying it for two years, Mitchell decided that sport wasn’t for him. He spent his freshman year of high school at Westbury Christian School (a private school in Houston), and the coaches kept him at quarterback.

To raise his recruiting profile, Mitchell transferred to Ridge Point High School (class 6A school in Fort Bend County) prior to his sophomore season and moved to wide receiver. As a junior in 2018, he earned second team All-District honors with 25 receptions for 378 yards and nine offensive touchdowns (five rushing, three receiving, one passing). He helped Ridge Point to a 10-2 record and the 2018 district championship. With Mitchell still struggling to garner recruiting attention, his father moved to the Nashville area for a year so his son could train with Buck Fitzgerald at the National Playmakers Academy. Mitchell transferred to Cane Ridge High School in Antioch, Tenn., for his senior season in 2019. After filling in at quarterback for the first three games, he moved back to wide receiver and led the team with 49 catches for 795 yards and 11 touchdowns. Mitchell helped Cane Ridge to a 9-4 record and state playoff appearance, and he was named the 2019 Region 5 -6A Athlete of the Year. A four-star recruit, Mitchell was the No. 63 wide receiver in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 10 recruit in Tennessee. He was originally in the 2020 recruiting class but decided to reclassify to the 2021 class and spent the ‘20 season training.

After moving to Tennessee for his senior season, Mitchell attended several recruiting camps and received his first FBS offers (Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee). He picked up an offer from Ole Miss and Lane Kiffin in January 2020 and committed a few months later. However, Mitchell continued receiving offers (Auburn and Texas) and taking visits. In July 2020, he flipped his commitment to Georgia and former offensive coordinator Todd Monken. Mitchell enrolled early and was the No. 16 recruit in head coach Kirby Smart’s 2021 class (top receiver in the class). His daughter (Icylinn) was born in the summer of 2021, and Mitchell’s parents have been raising her while Mitchell has been i n school.

After two national championships in two seasons in Athens, Mitchell entered the portal with the intention of moving closer to his daughter, and he transferred to Texas — a two-hour car ride away. After one season in Austin, Mitchell elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Long, limber and loose athlete … long-striding acceleration to quickly reach his top speed … light-footed and fluid in his releases and at the top of routes to stem his way over the top of corners (see his stutter-and-go touchdown vs. Alabama in 2023) … able to gear down on command to drive corners off the route and give his quarterback a clean target … flashes extra juice when the ball is in the air … able to high point with outstanding body control for in-air adjustments … tracks the ball into his hands (one drop over the last two seasons) … grew up competing with three older brothers, and his toughness stands out on tape … al ways looking for someone to block … led the Big 12 in touchdowns in 2023 … competes with big-play swagger and has a history of clutch touchdowns in his team’s most important games (caught the go-ahead touchdown in Georgia’s 2021 national title victory).

WEAKNESSES: Owns a modest build with lean features and stringy muscle tone … below-average play strength, and physical defensive backs will give him trouble early and late in the route … catch radius casts a wide net, but he has smallish hands and doesn’t always play strong to the football (caught just four contested balls in 2023) … his route running loses rhythm at times, and he needs to be more consistently deliberate with each step … averaged just 3.2 YAC in 2023 and is not known for his creativity or ability to break tackles after the catch … wasn’t a high-volume target in college (three or fewer catches in 10 of his 14 games at Texas) … missed most of the 2022 season at Georgia because of a high left ankle sprain (September 2022).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Texas, Mitchell was an outside wide receiver in head coach Steve Sarkisian’s spread, RPO offense. After helping Georgia win a pair of national championships, he transferred to Texas (to be closer to his daughter) and helped the Longhorns reach the College Football Playoffs. He also became just the fifth player in Texas history with 11 touchdown grabs in a single season. Despite some wasted movements in his routes that need to be tightened up, Mitchell cleanly accelerates/decelerates at will with the fluid movement skills to create separation out of his breaks (his 81.8 percent first down/touchdown rate in 2 023 was the best among the receivers in this draft class). Though not the strongest player through contact, he has the hand-eye coordination and pliable frame to adjust, high point and reach throws most receivers cannot. Overall, Mitchell needs to become a more detail-focused receiver to fully unlock his talent, but he has the body length, loose athleticism and catch-pointskills to be a chain-moving weapon. He projects as a rangy, outside-the-numbers target with the lean, limber body type reminiscent of the late Chris Henry. GRADE: 1st-2nd Round (No. 33 overall)

I’m a Texas fan. This guy is legit 

15 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

I truly struggle with the draft honestly - I stay up and always watch or follow, but I really feel like system and the player have to be perfectly match to succeed when a player is young and soo many bust out.

I take the approach let's see how this works after so many years of watching - used to have players in mind and listen to 100 breakdowns on players just to get none of them that I thought I would of preferred. It will be good to listen to locked on Bills post draft again for that reason - not knocking it or anything- just not my thing

I'm hoping it works no matter what though - lots of roles to fill

Go Bills!

It's probably for the best that way no anticipating the right or wrong pick. I think tonight will be a good. Light and we'll see the forest through the trees. 

7 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

It's probably for the best that way no anticipating the right or wrong pick. I think tonight will be a good. Light and we'll see the forest through the trees. I

I'm actually more excited for day 2- generally the overreaching comes in the first round- For whatever reason I trust this staff to roster a good team- Beane has always done a good job of that- weak spot has been wr for him, but I think after top 3 it was right to wait - not a ton of for sure s after that- actually hoping for a trade for proven quality wr and rookie as been my preferred path for them

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

If only teams in the league had some sort of clue as to what Andy Reid might be thinking of doing with a ridiculously fast short WR in his offense. It's like every team in the league already has tape of what they'll try to do with the guy, only he's not Hill so who know if he'll even be able to pull it off.

21 minutes ago, major said:

I’m a Texas fan. This guy is legit 

Unquestionably a first round talent imo. Character and consistent effort are the alleged issues. I have no idea whether these concerns are legit but many appear to be taking them seriously.

19 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

I'm actually more excited for day 2- generally the overreaching comes in the first round- For whatever reason I trust this staff to roster a good team- Beane has always done a good job of that- weak spot has been wr for him, but I think after top 3 it was right to wait - not a ton of for sure s after that- actually hoping for a trade for proven quality wr and rookie as been my preferred path for them

Fully agree. A vet and a rookie would be nice. I'm. It Big on Deebo though as he's been dipping in production the last couple of years. But maybe he just needs a change of scenery. What do I know lol. 

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Unquestionably a first round talent imo. Character and consistent effort are the alleged issues. I have no idea whether these concerns are legit but many appear to be taking them seriously.

McDermott doesn’t go for players with alleged issues, except for players like Miller who we are stuck with 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

He said today that the Chiefs won the 1st round. 

Hes a clown 

lol they virtually just handed the bills an extra impact player assuming we use that new third to trade up our later second round pick.  If recency bias was set aside it would be seen as a good trade for both teams at worst and heavily in the bills favor at best. 

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, I wish Diggs could have just been a cool dude and good teammate, so we wouldn't have all of this hand-wringing about WR....

That would’ve hurt us even more as we got further out from next year ironically enough.  We ripped the bandaid off all at once pretty much.  

Diggs was not going to be worth that contract..  no idea if he mentally checked out or hit a physical wall or what but he was not the same player for a pretty big sample size of last year 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan