What's your comfort show?

BillsPride12

What's your one go to show that no matter how many times you've seen every episode if you're feeling bored or down you can still watch it and it brings you some comfort?  It's definitely Seinfeld for me.  Growing up my parents used to always watch it, I found it funny as a kid but after going through adulthood it became so much more relatable and even more funny to me.  Doesn't matter how many times I've seen an episode if I'm scrolling through the tv channels and it's on 75% of the time I am stopping to watch.

At one point my answer probably would have been The Simpsons(classic years only) but I just don't watch it that often these days 

• Like (+1) 2

TV 

A 1950s/1960s Western on INSP or GRIT, like Wagon Train or High Chaparral.

Movie 

Whenever I see My Cousin Vinny on the schedule, I have to tune in, even if it is just for the last half hour or so .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Seinfeld for me too.

Community and Parks & Rec are also easy watching comedies, but if we're strictly talking "comfort", I'd have to say The Andy Griffith Show, or even "Matlock". :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

Seinfeld for me too.

Community and Parks & Rec are also easy watching comedies, but if we're strictly talking "comfort", I'd have to say The Andy Griffith Show, or even "Matlock". :)

Love community such a great show

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I've got 2.

The Honeymooners 

Beavis and Butthead 

We took our grandson to NYC last summer and took him to a cool indoor amusement park/museum place. He loved the Disney style rides, as we all did, but I don’t think he appreciated the set of the Honeymooners as much as I did. 😂 He knew the sofa from the coffee shop in Friends, however. 

• Like (+1) 1

If we're using the word "comfort", then...

The Office
Parks and Rec
Brooklyn Nine Nine

Abbot Elementary

All four have an easy-going, predictable, pleasant rhythm to them. All four have a host of lovable characters. 

Now if we're just talking "shows I re-watch often and never get sick of", then I'd list Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. But...none of the three is bringing anyone any real "comfort" any time soon.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:32 AM, DrW said:

Movie Whenever I see My Cousin Vinny on the schedule, I have to tune in, even if it is just for the last half hour or so .

That's my rule as well! If My Cousin Vinny is on that becomes what you're watching regardless of how far you're into the movie and how much time remains... 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:32 AM, DrW said:

TV 

A 1950s/1960s Western on INSP or GRIT, like Wagon Train or High Chaparral.

Movie 

Whenever I see My Cousin Vinny on the schedule, I have to tune in, even if it is just for the last half hour or so .

Same. Great movie. So many funny lines in that movie.

M*A*S*H, but only up to when Frank Burns left.  After that, the show was unwatchable.  Even Klinger became annoying when he dropped women's clothing and started wearing a Toledo Mud Hens jersey and cap.

Some other comfort shows: Barney Miller, Cheers (the first several seasons), Taxi, The Honeymooners (the original 39), Combat!, Twelve O'clock High, Homicide, Life on the Street (why isn't this great show streaming anywhere???), Streets of San Francisco.

Seinfeld had a great run but the last few seasons were painful.  George becomes more annoying in each rerun...the only saving grace during those years was Jerry Stiller.  

On 4/24/2024 at 5:31 PM, Nextmanup said:

Comfort show for me is Northern Exposure.  I have all seasons on DVD and have seen them all 1,000 times.

I also have all the seasons on DVD and have watched them all a bunch of times.  When I was in high school a bunch of us stoners would get together on the night it aired and have NEBS’s (Northern Exposure Bong Sessions) every week.  😆 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:00 PM, The Jokeman said:

I can sit and watch episodes of House Hunters for hours on end. 

Thank heavens I'm retired. After all my sports,I watch these.  The next moment it's THREE AM 😀

Andy Griffith. 

When life seemed simpler.

I realize problems of the times are all relative to the generation. It just seems the country, and world as a whole, are running off the rails right now.  

And.....the lunch special at the diner was like 95 cents. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully just the B&W episodes...the colorized ones i can't stomach, especially when Howard Sprague became a major character

1 minute ago, Fleezoid said:

Andy Griffith. 

When life seemed simpler.

I realize problems of the times are all relative to the generation. It just seems the country, and world as a whole, are running off the rails right now.  

And.....the lunch special at the diner was like 95 cents. 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Hopefully just the B&W episodes...the colorized ones i can't stomach, especially when Howard Sprague became a major character

Yep. Show started falling off when Barney Fife left. 

Edited by Fleezoid
  • Haha (+1) 2