Epic, Hypothetical Trade Scenario: Would ya?

Epic, Hypothetical Trade Scenario: Would ya?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Josh Allen to the Bears for #1, #9 and a 1st and 2nd in 2025?

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Allen would have to be old and fading for a season or 2 before I would consider trading him

Yeah. And Allen "old and fading" won't happen until he's about 38.. about 10 years from now.

• Agree 1

The Wilson and Watson trades show that anything can happen.

Wilson was two firsts and two seconds

Watson three firsts and a second. Remember at the time Watson pre-sex charges was considered a top 5 QB. 

The OP trade scenario is close. You would probably need to add another first round pick in 2026.

I would make that trade on three conditions. 

First you fire McDermott. 

Second you bring Brady in for one year.

Third you bring in Belichick. 

Then you trade out of #1 to 3 or 4. Get another first round pick. Then draft Nabers or Harrison Jr, an OT at 9, and package #28 and one of those other picks to move up and take best pass rusher you can get.

Take a safety and another WR in round 2. 

Trade up from 4th to 3rd round and get your RB#2. 

In that scenario you have as good a chance at a SuperBowl as any team. Additionally you have more picks in the future. You then have a stocked young cheap offense that you can plug and play another veteran QB for 2025 if needed - say someone like Dak or Baker on a 2 year deal. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gregg said:

They are not trading Allen. That is insane. Name one franchise QB who was traded when he was in his prime. How many years went by since Kelly retired, and Allen was drafted. Franchise QB's are hard to find. Go ask Jets fans who haven't had one since Namath. The Bills have a lot of picks in this draft. Plus, their cap situation will be much better next year. Window #1 to win a Super Bowl with Allen has probably closed. But as I mentioned Allen will be 28 this year. Beane will rebuild/retool the roster to try and win a Super Bowl with Allen over the next few years. That is the reality of the Bills situation. I was kidding about the Chiefs trading Mahomes. That is about as believable as the Bills trading Allen.

And yet again, oh so close, but it was a shoot and a miss........franchises are not going to trade their best asset, im sure we can agree on that, however, i can guarantee you that they have at least considered it. That is called Business 101, son......(i'll dumb it down a little here)....it's called asset vs. acquisition.

Every team in the league has gone through the scenario of the "do the gains exceed the need". Every franchise has considered a trade of their best asset in terms of gain from the deal.......none ever do it, as it is franchise suicide, however, in order for them to do their due diligence, every possible scenario is on the table.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

And yet again, oh so close, but it was a shoot and a miss........franchises are not going to trade their best asset, im sure we can agree on that, however, i can guarantee you that they have at least considered it. That is called Business 101, son......(i'll dumb it down a little here)....it's called asset vs. acquisition.

Every team in the league has gone through the scenario of the "do the gains exceed the need". Every franchise has considered a trade of their best asset in terms of gain from the deal.......none ever do it, as it is franchise suicide, however, in order for them to do their due diligence, every possible scenario is on the table.

Who cares about what if scenarios. I know every team does their due diligence. Franchise QB's while still in their prime don't get moved. Sometimes they will go to another team near the end of their career. Rodgers to the Jets, Montana to the Chiefs, Manning to the Broncos are examples of that but not while they are still in their prime. Franchise QB's are hard to find. As I mentioned look at how long it took the Bills to find one once Kelly retired.

• Sad 1

I wouldn't do it for anything. Do you know how difficult it is to get a top 3 QB? Guys like Josh Allen don't come around very often. I don't care how many 1st round picks you have. You are not likely to get a QB as good as him.

21 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I guarantee you they have NOT considered it. Because they aren't stupid. Beane said he would trade himself first. He knows that there is no chance of that happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This  "epic" trade scenario is the stupidest idea that I've ever seen on TSW.   The Biils won the NFL equivalent of a $500 million Powerball lottery in 2018.    Trading away a generational QB talent in his prime makes absolutely no sense in the modern NFL with free agency and the salary cap forcing frequent player personnel turn over.  

How hard is it to find a truly great NFL QB?   I bolded the first round QBs in the list below who I think are/were about equal with Josh Allen, which would be Rodgers and Mahomes.   I used red for the 2 QBs who have had significant injuries that derailed or may derail their pro careers.  Even if you include Luck and Burrow, the first round of 20 drafts have yielded only 5 what might be considered "generational QBs".  That's less than 8% of the QBs taken in the first round.   There were numerous franchise QBs who were very good and fewer who are/were close to great for a time, and a handful of likely HOFers.  Rodgers, Mahomes and Allen, however, are on a level above any NFL QBs who have played in their prime in the 21st century except for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. 

Here are 20 years of the 66 first round QBs in this century who have finished their rookies contracts:

2001 ... 1 ... Michael Vick

2002 ... 1 ... David Carr     3 ... Joey Harrington

2003 ... 1 ... Carson Palmer     7 ... Byron Leftwich     19 ... Kyle Boller     22 ... Rex Grossman

2004 ... 1 ... Eli Manning     4 ... Philip Rivers      11 ... Ben Roethlisberger      22 .. JP Losman

2005 ... 1 ... Alex Smith     24 ... Aaron Rodgers      32 ... Jason Campbell

2006 ... 3 ... Vince Young    10 ... Matt Leinart     11 ... Jay Cutler

2007 ... 1 ... JaMarcus Russell    22 ... Brady Quinn

2008 ... 3 ... Matt Ryan      18 ... Joe Flacco

2009 ... 1 ... Matthew Stafford     5 ... Mark Sanchez    17 ... Josh Freeman

2010 ... 1 ... Sam Bradford    25 ... Tim Tebow

2011 ... 1 ... Cam Newton    8 ... Jake Locker    10 ... Blaine Gabbert    12 ... Christian Ponder

2012 ... 1 ... Andrew Luck     2 ... Robert Griffin     8 ... Ryan Tannehill      22 ... Brandon Weeden

2013 ... 16 ... EJ Manuel

2014 ... 3 ... Blake Bortles     22 ... Johnny Manziel     32 ... Teddy Bridgewater

2015 ... 1 ... Jameis Winston      2 ... Marcus Mariota

2016 ... 1 ... Jared Goff     2 ... Carson Wentz      26 ... Paxton Lynch

2017 ... 2 ... Mitch Trubisky    10 ... Patrick Mahomes   12 ... Deshaun Watson

2018 ... 1 ... Baker Mayfield     3 ... Sam Darnold      7 ...  Josh Allen     10 ... Josh Rosen     32 ... Lamar Jackson

2019 ... 1 ... Kyler Murray      6 ... Daniel Jones      15 ... Dwayne Haskins

2020 ... 1 ... Joe Burrow      5 ... Tua Tagovailoa     6 ... Justin Herbert      26 ... Jordan Love

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Right now, no. He’s in the prime of his career, will be 28 next month. I remember the irrelevancy of the drought years very much and the constant piss poor play at QB. I would entertain the idea in about 5 years, but there’d have to be a hot prospect on the board and for that reason I’m sure the team I’d try to trade with would decline it. 

#1 Goal of any NFL Team - Find your franchise quarterback

This thread - Would you trade your franchise quarterback for the possibility of another franchise quarterback and picks (37% success rate)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I wouldn't do it for anything. Do you know how difficult it is to get a top 3 QB? Guys like Josh Allen don't come around very often. I don't care how many 1st round picks you have. You are not likely to get a QB as good as him.

I guarantee you they have NOT considered it. Because they aren't stupid. Beane said he would trade himself first. He knows that there is no chance of that happening.

And i can guarantee that you are wrong.

• Disagree 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Who cares about what if scenarios. I know every team does their due diligence. Franchise QB's while still in their prime don't get moved. Sometimes they will go to another team near the end of their career. Rodgers to the Jets, Montana to the Chiefs, Manning to the Broncos are examples of that but not while they are still in their prime. Franchise QB's are hard to find. As I mentioned look at how long it took the Bills to find one once Kelly retired.

And as fans who are on the outside looking in, you're right that we have the luxury of, who cares about "what if" scenarios. They mean nothing to us, as we don't really care about scenarios that will never come to fruition, however, not once did i ever say our FO was trading JA, nor the fact that any QB in their prime would ever be considered trade bait, so color me confused why you keep throwing that into every thread.......#confused.

Comprehension is a hell of a thing, i suppose.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

#1 Goal of any NFL Team - Find your franchise quarterback

This thread - Would you trade your franchise quarterback for the possibility of another franchise quarterback and picks (37% success rate)

Yeah even the people saying you'd have to have even more 1st round picks for it to make sense, like I get the idea you're trying to calculate the value, but it's like something being priceless, sure you can find a way to put a number on it but the reality is it's not something you'd ever trade.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This  "epic" trade scenario is the stupidest idea that I've ever seen on TSW.   The Biils won the NFL equivalent of a $500 million Powerball lottery in 2018.    Trading away a generational QB talent in his prime makes absolutely no sense in the modern NFL with free agency and the salary cap forcing frequent player personnel turn over.  

How hard is it to find a truly great NFL QB?   I bolded the first round QBs in the list below who I think are/were about equal with Josh Allen, which would be Rodgers and Mahomes.   I used red for the 2 QBs who have had significant injuries that derailed or may derail their pro careers.  Even if you include Luck and Burrow, the first round of 20 drafts have yielded only 5 what might be considered "generational QBs".  That's less than 8% of the QBs taken in the first round.   There were numerous franchise QBs who were very good and fewer who are/were close to great for a time, and a handful of likely HOFers.  Rodgers, Mahomes and Allen, however, are on a level above any NFL QBs who have played in their prime in the 21st century except for Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. 

Here are 20 years of the 66 first round QBs in this century who have finished their rookies contracts:

2001 ... 1 ... Michael Vick

2002 ... 1 ... David Carr     3 ... Joey Harrington

2003 ... 1 ... Carson Palmer     7 ... Byron Leftwich     19 ... Kyle Boller     22 ... Rex Grossman

2004 ... 1 ... Eli Manning     4 ... Philip Rivers      11 ... Ben Roethlisberger      22 .. JP Losman

2005 ... 1 ... Alex Smith     24 ... Aaron Rodgers      32 ... Jason Campbell

2006 ... 3 ... Vince Young    10 ... Matt Leinart     11 ... Jay Cutler

2007 ... 1 ... JaMarcus Russell    22 ... Brady Quinn

2008 ... 3 ... Matt Ryan      18 ... Joe Flacco

2009 ... 1 ... Matthew Stafford     5 ... Mark Sanchez    17 ... Josh Freeman

2010 ... 1 ... Sam Bradford    25 ... Tim Tebow

2011 ... 1 ... Cam Newton    8 ... Jake Locker    10 ... Blaine Gabbert    12 ... Christian Ponder

2012 ... 1 ... Andrew Luck     2 ... Robert Griffin     8 ... Ryan Tannehill      22 ... Brandon Weeden

2013 ... 16 ... EJ Manuel

2014 ... 3 ... Blake Bortles     22 ... Johnny Manziel     32 ... Teddy Bridgewater

2015 ... 1 ... Jameis Winston      2 ... Marcus Mariota

2016 ... 1 ... Jared Goff     2 ... Carson Wentz      26 ... Paxton Lynch

2017 ... 2 ... Mitch Trubisky    10 ... Patrick Mahomes   12 ... Deshaun Watson

2018 ... 1 ... Baker Mayfield     3 ... Sam Darnold      7 ...  Josh Allen     10 ... Josh Rosen     32 ... Lamar Jackson

2019 ... 1 ... Kyler Murray      6 ... Daniel Jones      15 ... Dwayne Haskins

2020 ... 1 ... Joe Burrow      5 ... Tua Tagovailoa     6 ... Justin Herbert      26 ... Jordan Love

How could you not include JP Losman & EJ Manuel among the generational QBs?  😁

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Chicago Bears get: Josh Allen

Buffalo Bills get: #1, #9, 2025 1st and 2nd

If not, what would it take? Everybody’s got a price!

If this was actually being entertained....  The price proposed is too low and, the actual price in acquiring JA now,  in his prime, one of the most dynamic and talented players in NFL history, would legitimately cripple a franchise like the Bears. It wouldn't be worth it.

Now, a team like the Niners, theoretically could offer the moon to win a SB or two but again, so much draft capital would need to be expended to make this happen...it's just not realistic.  

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman
  • Like (+1) 1

What makes this trade worse and inherently dumber, is that any future picks from Bears would be late round picks as hey would win too much with Allen.  So you’re not even getting good picks back.  

Anyone who votes yes should have their account suspended until after the draft because the yes vote is that dumb 

31 minutes ago, Sweats said:

And i can guarantee that you are wrong.

Wrong.  0% chance Beane has considered trading Josh Allen.  ZERO.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

Fans don't ever want to admit this, but everything is negotiable, and everything has a price.

You can't tell me that Beane already hasn't gotten 8-12 (and even that is probably low) trade scenarios across his desk for JA from other franchises and of course his answer will be no, but offers are considered every day, not every offer is acted upon.

The FO will do their due diligence and consider every offer or trade, but that doesn't mean they will accept any........this, my friends, is business.

JA is a Bill.....he isn't going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What makes this trade worse and inherently dumber, is that any future picks from Bears would be late round picks as hey would win too much with Allen.  So you’re not even getting good picks back.  

Anyone who votes yes should have their account suspended until after the draft because the yes vote is that dumb 

Wow, disillusioned.

100% chance Beane has considered trading JA, if the right scenario comes across his desk.........that's business, son.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have to agree.  It's never been considered.   The scenario of trading JA is something so ludicrous and detrimental to the franchise its just dumb to talk about...and I would know, I say a lot of dumb things.   

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Have to agree.  It's never been considered.   The scenario of trading JA is something so ludicrous and detrimental to the franchise its just dumb to talk about...and I would know, I say a lot of dumb things.   

You fit right in around here then.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Chicago Bears get: Josh Allen

Buffalo Bills get: #1, #9, 2025 1st and 2nd

If not, what would it take? Everybody’s got a price!

Absolutely ridiculous. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

This is a tough one....on one hand, you have the 2nd best QB in the league, but on the other hand, there are some quality QB's in this draft.....unproven, yes, but every QB is unproven when coming out of college and playing their first season in the NFL.

I voted yes, only because if you can get enough draft capital in the next 2 years, you could actually build something special. It seems we're just piecemealing a roster together the past couple of years, but if you can create a structured foundation, you can have a somewhat juggernaut for years to come.....all on a rookie salary.

Would i want this to happen?......probably not, but i wouldn't be upset with it. 

A level-headed response, BUT I'm trying to think of everything.

Josh, with DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Kmet, DeAndre Swift at RB and a very good Bears defense... he would be in better situation than he is currently.

The Bears would be favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.  It would be tough to live that down, particularly after trading away the Mahomes pick.

Edited by Chicken Boo

34 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Fans don't ever want to admit this, but everything is negotiable, and everything has a price.

You can't tell me that Beane already hasn't gotten 8-12 (and even that is probably low) trade scenarios across his desk for JA from other franchises and of course his answer will be no, but offers are considered every day, not every offer is acted upon.

The FO will do their due diligence and consider every offer or trade, but that doesn't mean they will accept any........this, my friends, is business.

JA is a Bill.....he isn't going anywhere.

Wow, disillusioned.

100% chance Beane has considered trading JA, if the right scenario comes across his desk.........that's business, son.

You don’t seem to know the difference from someone calling to ask the impossible and Beane actually considering it.

There has absolutely under no circumstance been even been one second of thought by Beane considering whether his answer should be yes or no.  The fact you delusionaly think you can “guarantee” it’s happened is maybe the most ludicrous thing I’ve seen written on the board this year.    

Not only that, I highly doubt no team in the NFL has even attempted to approach the Bills about a trade for Josh Allen as everyone in the league already knows that not only is he 100% not available, to even begin to get the Bills to think for even 1 second before saying no, the offer would have to be so ludicrous that they couldn’t make that offer in the first place.  

To say everyone had a price is such a lazy cop out and a false statement.  It takes TWO to make a deal…so it’s not just everyone has a price, there needs to be someone willing to pay that price, and I assure you there are 0 teams that would ever pay the price it would take for Beane to even think about it, let alone say yes.  

So sorry, but I guarantee you’re categorically wrong about Beane having considered trading Josh Allen.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You don’t seem to know the difference from someone calling to ask the impossible and Beane actually considering it.

There has absolutely under no circumstance been even been one second of thought by Beane considering whether his answer should be yes or no.  The fact you delusionaly think you can “guarantee” it’s happened is maybe the most ludicrous thing I’ve seen written on the board this year.    

Not only that, I highly doubt no team in the NFL has even attempted to approach the Bills about a trade for Josh Allen as everyone in the league already knows that not only is he 100% not available, to even begin to get the Bills to think for even 1 second before saying no, the offer would have to be so ludicrous that they couldn’t make that offer in the first place.  

To say everyone had a price is such a lazy cop out and a false statement.  It takes TWO to make a deal…so it’s not just everyone has a price, there needs to be someone willing to pay that price, and I assure you there are 0 teams that would ever pay the price it would take for Beane to even think about it, let alone say yes.  

So sorry, but I guarantee you’re categorically wrong about Beane having considered trading Josh Allen.

1) It's a lazy and irresponsible response to even think that every single player in the NFL is untouchable, that every single player is above an offer or trade, that every single player is of god-like status to their franchise

2) Maybe Beane has never considered trading JA, but he would if the right deal came along, i can assure you that

3) Can you guarantee that no other team since 2018 hasn't called the Bills asking Beane if he has a price or trade value on JA?.....so you're telling me that Beane hasn't gotten even one phone call from 31 other teams about what it would take to let JA walk?........wow, just wow guy.

4) Yes, it takes 2 to make a deal, however, that's if the deal is made.....it only takes one to offer the deal

5) Would any franchise in their right minds want to offer the deal/money/trade capital for what it would take to get JA?.......probably not, but you know there's some fairly stupid franchises out there (i'm looking at you Browns, Jets, etc.) and stupid deals are done in this league all the time......nothing surprises me anymore, including a blind delusional fanbase with very little business insight.

I have spoken.

• Disagree 3

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d probably need 5 firsts including the first overall pick with a “can’t miss QB” prospect in the draft. I’m not talking Trevor Lawrence. I’m talking Andrew Luck / Peyton Manning level prospect.

You’d also need more picks as they are gonna be playoff team picks.

5 pick 26+’s are worth like 1 or 2 top 10 picks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Sweats said:

1) It's a lazy and irresponsible response to even think that every single player in the NFL is untouchable, that every single player is above an offer or trade, that every single player is of god-like status to their franchise

Stop moving the goal post.  We are not talking about every player in the NFL, we are talking about one specific player, so stop putting words in my mouth as if I said everyone is untouchable.  

2) Maybe Beane has never considered trading JA, but he would if the right deal came along, i can assure you that

And that right deal is not a deal anyone would offer to move the needle for Beane is the point because everyone knows Allen is not available for trade and to make him available would cost more than any team is willing to pay.  

3) Can you guarantee that no other team since 2018 hasn't called the Bills asking Beane if he has a price or trade value on JA?.....so you're telling me that Beane hasn't gotten even one phone call from 31 other teams about what it would take to let JA walk?........wow, just wow guy.

Geezus dude...moving the needle again.  You want to speculate that maybe someone inquired in Josh's first 2 years before he became untouchable to the Bills after his year 3 breakout, then sure go ahead and do that.  But you know you aren't talking about then, you are talking about NOW (see OP and Poll)...and in recent time since Allen became what Allen is now, which is untouchable to this franchise after averaging 5100 yards and 44 TDS per year for the past 4 seasons.

4) Yes, it takes 2 to make a deal, however, that's if the deal is made.....it only takes one to offer the deal

Again...I don't think you understand the difference in ONE side OFFERING and the OTHER side CONSIDERING or not.  Just because a team makes an offer does not in any circumstance equate to the other team "considering" it before making a decision.  There is absolutely no chance what so ever that someone called Beane and made an offer where Beane actually CONSIDERED it before saying no.  It would have been met with an immediate no and probably some laughter.  

5) Would any franchise in their right minds want to offer the deal/money/trade capital for what it would take to get JA?.......probably not, but you know there's some fairly stupid franchises out there (i'm looking at you Browns, Jets, etc.) and stupid deals are done in this league all the time......nothing surprises me anymore, including a blind delusional fanbase with very little business insight.

I have spoken.

Hate to break it to you, but none of what you are saying is business insight.  It's make believe "what if" stuff that will never happen, and has never happened, and literally has nothing to do with business.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Hypothetical trade between the Bills and Chiefs.

Chiefs get a red balloon, a kit kat, bubble gum, and an Aaron Judge baseball card.

Bills get Chris Jones.

Discuss

I would almost argue this has more possibility than the Josh Allen trade proposal in the OP...

Before I can answer yes or no...I need to know what kind of bubble gum it is first, that would be the key to this trade for me

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Wow, you guys are feisty today

Lets recap:  

1. You post a trade scenario for probably the most loved player in Western NY sports history.  
  2. A player that has averaged 5100 yards and 44 TD's and been a perennial MVP candidate for 4 straight years still in his prime on a discount compared to other top paid QB's in the league.
  3. Then you use compensation that is GROSSLY undervaluing him that has NO possibility of ever being considered by anyone within the Bills organization.
  4. Then you compound it by telling the doubters here that you "100% guaranteeing" that BOTH the offers have come in and that Beane HAS considered trading him because you know "business".

So I am not sure what is worse...your original never gonna happen trade offer or that you thought this would go better around here lol

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Hypothetical trade between the Bills and Chiefs.

Chiefs get a red balloon, a kit kat, bubble gum, and an Aaron Judge baseball card.

Bills get Chris Jones.

Discuss

Well the balloon needs to be purple. I don't hang on the extremes which these days is left or right

Honestly I need to up that Kitkat to a Snickers. 

Everything else is good so I would then make this trade with those changes

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, sure we already have Josh Allen. But those are draft picks. A draft pick can turn out to be anything...heck we could even end up with the next Josh Allen!

Something about a bird in the hand being better than two in a bush applies here, I believe. So I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means 'no'".

https://youtu.be/yZpIog7e-R4?si=w1E5aLsBydMK8Sl1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

You fit right in around here then.

I'm undecided if you're trolling or if you simply refuse to admit, even to yourself, that you've said/wrote/posted something really stupid, so you have to defend that indefensible position to the death.   Brandon Beane has better things to do than waste even a nanosecond on considering a trade offer for Josh Allen ... that's supposing that some other GM has wasted even a nanosecond thinking that the Bills would accept any offer for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't trade him for literally anything.  

I'd trade his #1 WR.  I'd fire the HC and GM - he's only ever worked with the 2 we have so i'd be willing to take my chances with allen and new people over giving the staff free reign to build from the ground up.  

I know its hypothetical.  But i'd rather start over with josh than use him to get assets to start over.