NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Broncos WR Courtland Sutton did not report for voluntary OTAs

This is from nbc sports “Sutton has just $2 million guaranteed on his current deal with Denver after catching ten touchdowns on 59 receptions in 2023. Sutton, headed into his age-29 season, profiles as the team’s No. 1 wideout after the Broncos dealt Jerry Jeudy to the Browns this offseason. Sutton could be seeking a short-term deal with more guaranteed money ahead of the 2024 season. He’ll work with his tenth starting quarterback in his seven pro seasons.”

I am the front runner for drafting multiple wide receivers in this draft class because it’s so good and deep. This is one of the few guys I would trade for though. If we could give up a fourth round pick next year to get Cortland Sutton, I would be on cloud nine. Guy is a star with less than competent QB play. He would absolutely thrive with Josh, hopefully Odunze on the other side after he slides in the draft and we don’t give up much to get him and Kincaid, samuel and Shakir eating up the middle. 

Edited by NeverOutNick

If it's Sutton or Metcalf, the obvious choice is Metcalf. If both are somehow available. Sutton has only cracked 1,000yds one time in his career and that was back in 2019. Sutton is kinda meh like Gabe was. We don't really need to repeat that cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, NeverOutNick said:

Sutton, headed into his age-29 season, profiles as the team’s No. 1 wideout after the Broncos dealt Jerry Jeudy to the Browns this offseason.

Which implies that Jerry Jeudy would profile as their No. 1 wide out if he hadn't been traded. Which is just absurd.

Sutton is good, and an excellent red zone threat. But basically a non-entity with anything involving the middle of the field.

He'd fit in well with the Bills. Except we can't afford him.

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

If it's Sutton or Metcalf, the obvious choice is Metcalf. If both are somehow available. Sutton has only cracked 1,000yds one time in his career and that was back in 2019. Sutton is kinda meh like Gabe was. We don't really need to repeat that cycle. 

Sutton is nowhere near Gabe in comparison. Watch any Denver game. He can’t help that he has incompetent QB play. Dude makes big play after big play when he’s thrown the ball. And the biggest difference is he can actually catch the ball unlike our boy Gabe 

• Like (+1) 2

This is from nbc sports “Sutton has just $2 million guaranteed on his current deal with Denver after catching ten touchdowns on 59 receptions in 2023. Sutton, headed into his age-29 season, profiles as the team’s No. 1 wideout after the Broncos dealt Jerry Jeudy to the Browns this offseason. Sutton could be seeking a short-term deal with more guaranteed money ahead of the 2024 season. He’ll work with his tenth starting quarterback in his seven pro seasons.”

I am the front runner for drafting multiple wide receivers in this draft class because it’s so good and deep. This is one of the few guys I would trade for though. If we could give up a fourth round pick next year to get Cortland Sutton, I would be on cloud nine. Guy is a star with less than competent QB play. He would absolutely thrive with Josh, hopefully Odunze on the other side after he slides in the draft and we don’t give up much to get him and Kincaid, samuel and Shakir eating up the middle. 

Sutton doesn’t fit the timeline anymore of the team.

the time to trade for him was mid season last year when Sherfield and Harty had proven to be laughable signings.

we probably beat the Chiefs if Sutton was on the roster in the postseason. But that’s over now.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

Sutton is much better than Gabe. And Sutton hasn’t had a good qb ever. 

• Agree 1

We already got our vet in Curtis Samuel. Now they are going to draft a few young WRs to pair with Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid. It’s time to get Josh some weapons and this is the year to do it. Draft is very deep at WR. Go retool that offense and let’s score lots of points 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

We already got our vet in Curtis Samuel. Now they are going to draft a few young WRs to pair with Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid. It’s time to get Josh some weapons and this is the year to do it. Draft is very deep at WR. Go retool that offense and let’s score lots of points 

but a pairing of Sutton plus a second tier rookie could be a viable bridge across the next 2-3 years with a 4 deep group

depending entirely on Suttons price 

• Like (+1) 1

No need for Diggs contract part Duex.  He’s too old in NFL years.

I've been leading the train in advocating for a WR trade in recent years, but this offseason I am focused on the rebuild. No more old vets. Just draft two young WRs with physical traits and start fresh with the second chapter of Allen's career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

12 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think I'd trade down at this point and draft 2 OR 3 WRs in this draft.

I’m always for trading down. I would probably trade down every year multiple times. It’s like free money. Teams give up 2’s and 3’s just to move down a few spots.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I'm ready to go full Green Bay Packers and just bring in a pickup truck full of young WRs and let Josh spread the ball around.

Enough with other people's castoffs.

Give me cheap young labor and speed, please and thank you.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yeah I'm ready to go full Green Bay Packers and just bring in a pickup truck full of young WRs and let Josh spread the ball around.

I’m on board with this scenario as well. I just have my doubts because our head coach is not Lafleur pulling the strings 

3 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Sutton is nowhere near Gabe in comparison. Watch any Denver game. He can’t help that he has incompetent QB play. Dude makes big play after big play when he’s thrown the ball. And the biggest difference is he can actually catch the ball unlike our boy Gabe 

And yet....when dissecting Denver film, Kurt Warner was calling out how Courtland Sutton was releasing and running his routes.....

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Not worth the draft pick and the $13M base salary.

And apparently he's not there because he wants a new contract. That's a pass for multiple reasons now. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/courtland-sutton-skipping-broncos-voluntary-workouts-seeking-new-contract

Sutton did not report for voluntary workouts as he seeks a new contract, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've been leading the train in advocating for a WR trade in recent years, but this offseason I am focused on the rebuild. No more old vets. Just draft two young WRs with physical traits and start fresh with the second chapter of Allen's career.

Just say "No' to a rebuild and instead lets go for the reload.  Beane somewhat brought this upon us by letting Diggs get under his skin.  We shouldn't let Beane off the hook.  Beane needs to produce- none of this rebuild nonsense.  The playoffs can be a crapshoot, the more shots/years as a contender the better the odds of bringing home the big prize.  Wasting a year of prime Josh is a terrible idea.

Get a vet and one of the good second tier WRs.  The vet replaces Diggs - J Jeff/B Aiyuk/DK Metcalf/C Godwin/DHop.  I don't really like Sutton though.  The rookie replaces G Davis with potential to evolve into a WR1.  Then the beat goes on, the Bills are once again a contender.

Diggs does not deserve to be a chapter ender.  He is a player that filled the role of expensive WR1.  That role should be replaced and the Bills as a contender should continue.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

One that is looking for an expensive, new deal.

As I said, hard pass.

He can come here and earn a new deal…

in the meantime play out the final two years on the old deal 

25 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Sutton is a younger Diggs at this point. He’s a solid # 2 and in our offense could be better with Josh. If Beane could pull him in for a 2nd next year it would be massive.

2nd? No way …

4th would get it done 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I would prefer this option as well

assuming Metcalf isn’t available for a reasonable deal.

Sutton could be someone to look at after the draft 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He can come here and earn a new deal…

in the meantime play out the final two years on the old deal 

2nd? No way …

4th would get it done 

He can also stay in Denver and earn a new deal.

He’s not happy playing under his current deal. We don’t need that.

Just now, Beast said:

He can also stay in Denver and earn a new deal.

He’s not happy playing under his current deal. We don’t need that.

Ok … rot in Denver then .. good luck getting a new deal in two years time with what ever QB ends up throwing to you 

Its not like he is currently underpaid for his production 

36 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Just say "No' to a rebuild and instead lets go for the reload.

Sure. I don't mean rebuild in a bad way. The Chiefs won two Super Bowls in a row during their rebuild. I just mean fill the pipeline with young talent and don't spend a lot of cap space on older players.