The Draft is a Total Crapshoot (Per Science)

1 hour ago, finn said:

That could just be the laws of probability at work. If every team just threw darts at their draft board, at least some would have good results.

I've always thought the best draft strategy, at least for teams drafting high, would be to trade down incrementally for as many second-round picks as possible, and do the same from the other direction, trading up into the second round. End up with, say, six or seven second-round picks. The odds of hitting gold seem much higher than just two high picks. 

That's how i have envisioned our FO making their picks in the draft.......either the dart board or the ole spin the wheel-o-chance.

41 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Going back to 2014 (a ten year period), the Patriots have had more than seven picks in 9 out of the 10 seasons (usually between 9 and 11). Yet it really didn't help them all that much: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm. There is a handful of very good players here, but overall it's pretty much a vast wasteland.

Yea having more picks does not equal winning the draft. You still have to evaluate. It isn't pot luck. 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Which teams do you have in mind that consistently restock their roster from the draft and a high percentage of players that contribute?

I'm not doubting you, just curious of which teams you considered that fit the description.

Take for example the Steelers.

That team is consistently excellent at drafting WR and pass rushers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Fans don't want to hear it or admit it, but the truth of the matter is that it takes a tremendous amount of luck to be consistently good in the NFL.  You can have the best organization in place and have a mediocre team, or a bunch of jokers in the front office and luck out with your QB.

The teams that stay consistently relevant have a combination of good luck with key draft picks and the ability to pivot and fix things that are going wrong through trades and free agency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably a weird way to look at it but I believe the draft will get easier with NIL deals. These players will show who they are very early in college. 

Weird? No, this makes complete sense. Many of these kids come from poverty stricken homes. Now, some are racing around in Porsches with 100 grand in their pockets, and access to hot women, alcohol, and legalized weed (and God knows what else). 

I'm not insulting these kids. I'm not at all sure that if I was young, in a college with thousands of hot girls, with a cool million dollars that my behavior would be all that reasoned and mature. In fact, I would bet against it.

My guess is that owners (if they are smart) will allocate more resources to investigate, and even spy on some of these kids.

Jmo.

• Agree 3

I read the article and can see some merit to the argument, but then I look at where the best players are drafted and most of the time it early in the draft.  

I looked at WRs the other day and 53 WRs had 1000 yards in at least one season over the last 5 years. The draft breakdown was as follows:

1st rd - 19

2nd rd -15

3rd rd - 10

4th rd - 1

5th rd - 5

6th - 0

7th - 1
UDFA - 2

The scouts must be doing something right to get that distribution.  It proves to me that good players can come from anywhere, but most good players are drafted early.  Football is also weird.  There are so many different positions and many different systems so a player may be a bust in Buffalo and flourish elsewhere.  Now add injuries and character issues and I don’t think analytics will ever tell the whole story.  

I am a proponent of trading down and collecting more picks in the later rounds.  In rounds 4-7, the more lottery tickets you have the more likely you’ll get lucky and uncover a Shakir, Milano or Benford. One limiting factor is roster spots.  Where do you put all of these kids you want to develop? Put them on the practice squad and someone takes them.  Put them on the active roster and their inexperience could weaken your team.  

I would like to see a small change in the practice squad.  I think guys drafted prior to that football season can only be removed to another team through a trade or compensation.  For example, we had 2 7th rd picks in 2023 on our PS.  Both were grabbed by other teams.  I think we should receive at least a 7th rd pick as compensation for those players.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://theathletic.com/5416007/2024/04/16/nfl-drafting-methods-insight-massey-thaler/?source=user_shared_article

Great article from the Athletic.  Basically says that teams routinely over-estimate their own ability to predict player performance and as a result overestimate the value of their own specific picks.  Instead, they should maximize the number of lottery tickets they’re buying.

Thoughts?

This is why I fear trading way up in the 1st round. Have to give up too much for a risky pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Fans don't want to hear it or admit it, but the truth of the matter is that it takes a tremendous amount of luck to be consistently good in the NFL.  You can have the best organization in place and have a mediocre team, or a bunch of jokers in the front office and luck out with your QB.

The teams that stay consistently relevant have a combination of good luck with key draft picks and the ability to pivot and fix things that are going wrong through trades and free agency.

@eball Like Buffalo Rumblings podcast host, Bruce Nolan, says: Be as good as you can for as long as you can, and hope for a little luck 😉

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Take for example the Steelers.

That team is consistently excellent at drafting WR and pass rushers.

@Pine Barrens Mafia You know, this is the kind of meta-analysis we should really talk about. Is Beane head-hunting for the scouts that keep getting hits on high-value positions in the draft? 

Joe Marino, of Locked on Bills Podcast, noted the other day that Green Bay has quietly built a nasty WR corps, without a single 1st round pick (two 2nds, a 4th, and a 5th).

If I'm Beane, I would be in Terry's ear (or pocketbook), trying to get him to buy out some of Green Bay and Pittsburgh's scouts. That's what's going to make us successful, down the road. 4-D chess, man!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Change that to about 33% and I agree with the rest of what you said.

Are you guys talking overall, in the whole draft?

One factor with teams that are consistently good, is that their lower round draft picks may not stick on the drafting team because, "no room at the inn".  But they may stick on other rosters.  So one needs to consider how that's factored into this assessment.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

@eball Like Buffalo Rumblings podcast host, Bruce Nolan, says: Be as good as you can for as long as you can, and hope for a little luck 😉

@Pine Barrens Mafia You know, this is the kind of meta-analysis we should really talk about. Is Beane head-hunting for the scouts that keep getting hits on high-value positions in the draft? 

Joe Marino, of Locked on Bills Podcast, noted the other day that Green Bay has quietly built a nasty WR corps, without a single 1st round pick (two 2nds, a 4th, and a 5th).

If I'm Beane, I would be in Terry's ear (or pocketbook), trying to get him to buy out some of Green Bay and Pittsburgh's scouts. That's what's going to make us successful, down the road. 4-D chess, man!

Let's unpack this.  "Green Bay has quietly built a nasty receiver corps with 2 2nds, a 4th, and a 5th". 

That would be Jayden Reed (64 for 793), Christian Watson (28 for 422' 41 for 611 last year), Romeo Doubs (59 for 674; 42 for 425 last year), and Dontayvion Wicks (39 for 581).  Add in 2 - 350 yd seasons from 2 TE and 2 - 230 yd seasons from 2 RBs and you account for most of the receiving productivity for a team that was 12th in passing yards and 15th in passing attempts.  Now obviously a lot goes into this - the QB, the OL, the design of the offense - but none of those numbers are exactly Chase/Boyd/Higgins or Brown/Smith/Goeddert or Hill/Waddle level nastiness.

So let's keep unpacking.  You're pointing at exceptional scouting on the part of GB and Pitt, such that you suggest Beane hire their scouts away.  So let's ask, are these WR exceptional for where they were drafted?  Well Reed (pick 50) was obviously a good choice, and better last season than Mingo (pick 39).  But, he was not as productive as Rashee Rice (pick 51).  Josh Downs, drafted at 79, was almost as productive, and Tank Dell (pick 61) was more productive on a per-game basis. 

More unpacking.  Watson is the 3rd most productive WR from the 2nd round 2022, behind Pickens and Alec Pierce (both drafted after Watson).  Doubs, drafted in the 4th, is an outlier and was almost as productive as Watson.  Maybe GB great scouting ought to have drafted Pickens or Pierce?

Doubs has been a very good choice.  He has been more productive than Buffalo's 2022 pick Khalil Shakir.  But, Shakir had a 2nd season that was almost as good (39 for 611) as Doubs 2nd season, and that's WITH being behind a #1 WR who dominates the target share in Diggs.  I think it may be TBD as to what Shakir can be with a more equitable target share.  Doubs had 96 targets, and caught 61.5% of them; Shakir had 45 targets, and caught 86.7% of them.  On a per-target basis, one can make an argument for Shakir being the better choice.  

Joe Marino podcast is every day, right?  So I guess he needs stuff to talk about.  If his point is that 2nd round and later round picks can fill out a decent WR corps, Sure!  I 100% agree!   But that doesn't give you a "freakazoid" WR who can take over a game, either.

If his idea is that the Bills should lure away Pittsburgh and GB scouts because their WR drafting is so much better than ours (or is that your idea?)  I don't think the results are terribly persuasive.  We all missed Puka Nacua, so if we're going to hire away scouts, let's get the guy who scouted HIM.  

I guess I'd like to finish by pointing out that 4th round Gabe Davis was more productive than Reed on a per-target basis (62 vs 92 targets, Davis had 45 for 745), has shown that he can contribute that well or better 2 years in a row, and yet far from extolling him as an example of good drafting there was a lot of drum-beating that Gabe Davis just "wasn't a true #2" and we needed better.

I kinda wonder if there isn't a bit of "grass is greener" syndrome going on here.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I remember Jimmy Johnson being a big believer in accumulating draft picks.  Cowboys hit on quite a few but had their fair share of misses.  I also recall his thoughts on kickers - “kickers are fungible”.

That Dallas Era, The Cowboys absolutely destroyed it on a few trades they made, getting themselves as good as they were during those years. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

I read the article and can see some merit to the argument, but then I look at where the best players are drafted and most of the time it early in the draft.  

I looked at WRs the other day and 53 WRs had 1000 yards in at least one season over the last 5 years. The draft breakdown was as follows:

1st rd - 19

2nd rd -15

3rd rd - 10

4th rd - 1

5th rd - 5

6th - 0

7th - 1
UDFA - 2

The scouts must be doing something right to get that distribution.  It proves to me that good players can come from anywhere, but most good players are drafted early.  Football is also weird.  There are so many different positions and many different systems so a player may be a bust in Buffalo and flourish elsewhere.  Now add injuries and character issues and I don’t think analytics will ever tell the whole story.  

I am a proponent of trading down and collecting more picks in the later rounds.  In rounds 4-7, the more lottery tickets you have the more likely you’ll get lucky and uncover a Shakir, Milano or Benford. One limiting factor is roster spots.  Where do you put all of these kids you want to develop? Put them on the practice squad and someone takes them.  Put them on the active roster and their inexperience could weaken your team.  

I would like to see a small change in the practice squad.  I think guys drafted prior to that football season can only be removed to another team through a trade or compensation.  For example, we had 2 7th rd picks in 2023 on our PS.  Both were grabbed by other teams.  I think we should receive at least a 7th rd pick as compensation for those players.  

You could also look here

and here

I could be mistaken, but I think everyone agrees that typically, the more talented players get drafted in earlier rounds.

I think the question is more - given a specific first round pick - #23 say - is it better to move up to, say, #19 in order to get one's choice of all the 2023 WR?

Or would it actually be better to trade down  and get some extra "lottery tickets"? 

For the Vikings, who stood pat and drafted Jordan Addison at #23, they actually got the best of the 1st round WR in 2023 draft.  But they theoretically could have gotten a more productive player by trading back into the 2nd.

I think the point of the OP's article is that the odds of the next player at the position being better by some metric (starting more games was mentioned, receiving yards would be another) are only slightly over a "coin flip", so trading up within a round, is probably not the best overall long term strategy.

• Like (+1) 1

I couldn't read the aricle becasue of the paywall, but that premise is correct IMO.  The more swings you get in the draft, the better chances you have of getting a hit.  Early rounds (1-3) render better athletes, so it obvously makes a difference where your picks lie.  While I generally like Beane, I hate his draft philosophy of moving up to get "his guy."  It costs us swings at the bat to get young cheap talent.  Here are the early trade ups.  QB you have to move up for, but the rest are very debatable how well we did.    

In 2018 he moved up for a QB, which worked out because the Bills were lucky nobody selected Allen before us. Edmunds cost us a 3rd (we got back a 5th).

2019 sent a 5th for Cody Ford.  Gave up 2 4th rounders for Knox.

2020 trade for Diggs, sent a 1st, 5th, 6th, and a 2021 4th.  Got a 7th back  

2021 no trade up. 

2022 Elam cost a 4th

2023 Kincaid cost a 4th.       

Edited by JimmyNoodles

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Let's unpack this.  "Green Bay has quietly built a nasty receiver corps with 2 2nds, a 4th, and a 5th". 

That would be Jayden Reed (64 for 793), Christian Watson (28 for 422' 41 for 611 last year), Romeo Doubs (59 for 674; 42 for 425 last year), and Dontayvion Wicks (39 for 581).  Add in 2 - 350 yd seasons from 2 TE and 2 - 230 yd seasons from 2 RBs and you account for most of the receiving productivity for a team that was 12th in passing yards and 15th in passing attempts.  Now obviously a lot goes into this - the QB, the OL, the design of the offense - but none of those numbers are exactly Chase/Boyd/Higgins or Brown/Smith/Goeddert or Hill/Waddle level nastiness.

So let's keep unpacking.  You're pointing at exceptional scouting on the part of GB and Pitt, such that you suggest Beane hire their scouts away.  So let's ask, are these WR exceptional for where they were drafted?  Well Reed (pick 50) was obviously a good choice, and better last season than Mingo (pick 39).  But, he was not as productive as Rashee Rice (pick 51).  Josh Downs, drafted at 79, was almost as productive, and Tank Dell (pick 61) was more productive on a per-game basis. 

More unpacking.  Watson is the 3rd most productive WR from the 2nd round 2022, behind Pickens and Alec Pierce (both drafted after Watson).  Doubs, drafted in the 4th, is an outlier and was almost as productive as Watson.  Maybe GB great scouting ought to have drafted Pickens or Pierce?

Doubs has been a very good choice.  He has been more productive than Buffalo's 2022 pick Khalil Shakir.  But, Shakir had a 2nd season that was almost as good (39 for 611) as Doubs 2nd season, and that's WITH being behind a #1 WR who dominates the target share in Diggs.  I think it may be TBD as to what Shakir can be with a more equitable target share.  Doubs had 96 targets, and caught 61.5% of them; Shakir had 45 targets, and caught 86.7% of them.  On a per-target basis, one can make an argument for Shakir being the better choice.  

Joe Marino podcast is every day, right?  So I guess he needs stuff to talk about.  If his point is that 2nd round and later round picks can fill out a decent WR corps, Sure!  I 100% agree!   But that doesn't give you a "freakazoid" WR who can take over a game, either.

If his idea is that the Bills should lure away Pittsburgh and GB scouts because their WR drafting is so much better than ours (or is that your idea?)  I don't think the results are terribly persuasive.  We all missed Puka Nacua, so if we're going to hire away scouts, let's get the guy who scouted HIM.  

I guess I'd like to finish by pointing out that 4th round Gabe Davis was more productive than Reed on a per-target basis (62 vs 92 targets, Davis had 45 for 745), has shown that he can contribute that well or better 2 years in a row, and yet far from extolling him as an example of good drafting there was a lot of drum-beating that Gabe Davis just "wasn't a true #2" and we needed better.

I kinda wonder if there isn't a bit of "grass is greener" syndrome going on here.

I wouldn't say it was Marino's idea to lure away GB and Pitt's scouts; that's just my take. All I'm saying is people on here are very likely to freak out if we don't take a WR in the 1st, while other team have proven capable of taking good WR in the 2nd and later.

Piggybacking on that is that if other teams have gotten good results, why should our staff ignore that? 

Point on Pooka, of course. I was just mentioning two teams who have landed good WR outside of round one. 

And yes: I do think that paying attention to teams that draft a position we need is probably wise. 

6 hours ago, finn said:

That could just be the laws of probability at work. If every team just threw darts at their draft board, at least some would have good results.

I've always thought the best draft strategy, at least for teams drafting high, would be to trade down incrementally for as many second-round picks as possible, and do the same from the other direction, trading up into the second round. End up with, say, six or seven second-round picks. The odds of hitting gold seem much higher than just two high picks. 

I feel this is basically the strategy the Patriots did during between 2000-2010.  They might have had close to as many trade ups as trade downs but almost all the first round trades were trade downs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Weird? No, this makes complete sense. Many of these kids come from poverty stricken homes. Now, some are racing around in Porsches with 100 grand in their pockets, and access to hot women, alcohol, and legalized weed (and God knows what else). 

I'm not insulting these kids. I'm not at all sure that if I was young, in a college with thousands of hot girls, with a cool million dollars that my behavior would be all that reasoned and mature. In fact, I would bet against it.

My guess is that owners (if they are smart) will allocate more resources to investigate, and even spy on some of these kids.

Jmo.

It is interesting (to me at least) to think that kids getting real money in their pockets in college may help NFL teams by weeding out some of the knuckleheads.

• Agree 2

because most take the risky route of trying to predict upside

when it's probably better to go with a safer strategy of the highest floor

examples in this draft of the safer highest floor strategy.... Harrison, Alt, Bowers, Fashanu

Drafting is more questionable when it involves players who are isolated on the field.  That is, the QBs, WR's, LT's, DE's, and perhaps in man CB's.  They are always in demand, frequently drafted high, and their translation from college to the pros is often more in doubt.  

The IOL, DT, LB, S, RB's, and perhaps TE's are a different matter, primarily because they typically aren't drafted high.  When they are, something is special about them to necessitate a RD1 pick which, I believe, makes them less of a risk.  The premium positions listed above get drafted high sometimes without that characteristic...but because they play a high-value position.

Nothing is absolute and no team is head and shoulders above the others though.  I recall @BADOLBILZ noting how the Bills during the drought weren't terrible drafting, but they used high picks on lesser positional value, had hits and few busts, but the end result was still those 4-7 win teams.  And during those years, their success at QB, WR, LT, DE was minimal.  And when they took a CB high who excelled, typically those guys lasted one contract and left in UFA like Clements and Gilmore.  

Still have to take shots, as McBeane proved with Josh, at QB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

58 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I couldn't read the aricle becasue of the paywall, but that premise is correct IMO.  The more swings you get in the draft, the better chances you have of getting a hit.  Early rounds (1-3) render better athletes, so it obvously makes a difference where your picks lie.  While I generally like Beane, I hate his draft philosophy of moving up to get "his guy."  It costs us swings at the bat to get young cheap talent.  Here are the early trade ups.  QB you have to move up for, but the rest are very debatable how well we did.    

In 2018 he moved up for a QB, which worked out because the Bills were lucky nobody selected Allen before us. Edmunds cost us a 3rd (we got back a 5th).

2019 sent a 5th for Cody Ford.  Gave up 2 4th rounders for Knox.

2020 trade for Diggs, sent a 1st, 5th, 6th, and a 2021 4th.  Got a 7th back  

2021 no trade up. 

2022 Elam cost a 4th

2023 Kincaid cost a 4th.       

The question about 2018 really is, would Beane have traded up to #7 if Allen was already gone?  Usually those first round trades are finalized when a team is on the clock ... so that the team trading up knows their guy is available.  I certainly hope that that was how Beane worked it to get Allen rather than just trading up to #7 on the hope that Allen would be available.

Trading up without being sure that the player you want will be available seems a pretty stupid move.

I don't think it is a total crap shoot.  There is a significant element of chance in every round, but the level of chance increases as teams go deeper into the draft.  Still, there is no guarantee that even the first overall pick will be a successful player for the team that drafts him.

27 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The question about 2018 really is, would Beane have traded up to #7 if Allen was already gone?  Usually those first round trades are finalized when a team is on the clock ... so that the team trading up knows their guy is available.  I certainly hope that that was how Beane worked it to get Allen rather than just trading up to #7 on the hope that Allen would be available.

Trading up without being sure that the player you want will be available seems a pretty stupid move.

We were lucky the Giants and Broncos both passed on QB's that year and no one else took Josh earlier, but you are right, we moved to 7 from 12 to get Josh.    

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

It is interesting (to me at least) to think that kids getting real money in their pockets in college may help NFL teams by weeding out some of the knuckleheads.

Agreed and as I said, I would put some big money into investigasting these kids if I was a billionaire owner, complete with following them into bars, etc.

Edited by Bill from NYC

the teams are all throwing darts at a board with their eyes half shut.  its mainly what happens when the player gets with the team,  and how the team handles the player after that.   good organizations,  good coaching,  matters more.   all these guys are fast and big,  its about how theyre used and brought along.   for instance,  you wouldnt want to draft a CB whos only good at man to man,  if your defense plays zone 90% of the time.  teehee.

there is one caveat to this though,  if you know a guy is a one hit wonder,  or gives up on plays early,  etc,  doesnt matter how talented they are, probably going get half assed work out of them.  need to stay away from that like the plague.

I haven’t read every post yet, but I’d like to see this broken down by:

1) who made the pick

2) round they mad it in

3 position they picked

I think if we are going to pay attention to trends we should see the variance between decision makers first. 

Polian vs Whaley for example: you wouldn’t just lump them together and draw a meaningful conclusion.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably a weird way to look at it but I believe the draft will get easier with NIL deals. These players will show who they are very early in college. 

how so?

4 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I wouldn't say it was Marino's idea to lure away GB and Pitt's scouts; that's just my take. All I'm saying is people on here are very likely to freak out if we don't take a WR in the 1st, while other team have proven capable of taking good WR in the 2nd and later.

Piggybacking on that is that if other teams have gotten good results, why should our staff ignore that? 

Point on Pooka, of course. I was just mentioning two teams who have landed good WR outside of round one. 

And yes: I do think that paying attention to teams that draft a position we need is probably wise. 

Fair enough on that last.  I also agree on the point that teams can and do draft good WR who contribute heavily to their success in the 2nd and later.

But context is also important; my point is that considering Romeo Doubs as a better 2022 draft choice than Khalil Shakir may not be justified, given Shakir's 63 fewer yards on less than half the targets Doubs got.

I personally think you're overestimating the quality of GB's WR and under-crediting the quality of our 2 choices, Davis and Shakir, for the round in which they were drafted.

I also think the problem with the Bills drafting WR is that after muffing on Zay Jones in the 2017 2nd, we simply haven't invested the draft resources at the position.  Take KC, who look like they finally got a good 2nd round WR in Rashee Rice (if his culpable driving and legal troubles don't derail him).  They took 3 - 2nd round shots who are totally meh in Mecole Hardman (2019) Skyy Moore (2022) and now Rice, to get what looks like one legit guy.

I don't think our problem is necessarily scouting, but more

1) draft day shenanigans by Beane (trading away mid-round pick resources to move up in the 1st and 2nd or to trade for a player - we've been without a 4th 21,22,23 and we're without a 3rd in 24

2) allocation of resources - we haven't actually drafted a WR earlier than Rd 4 since 2017, before Beane officially arrived.  

In the 2nd round, we've drafted 2 OG, a RB, and 2 DE (and traded to move up).

In the 3rd round, we've drafted 2 RB, a TE, an OT, 2 LB, and a DT

I think it's possible that Beane and his FO might ID and draft good WR talent in the mid-rounds - but they haven't pulled the trigger.

Note that I'm not saying they were wrong to allocate resources as they have - I'm all about protecting Josh, for example.  But someone has to catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Drafting is more questionable when it involves players who are isolated on the field.  That is, the QBs, WR's, LT's, DE's, and perhaps in man CB's.  They are always in demand, frequently drafted high, and their translation from college to the pros is often more in doubt.  

The IOL, DT, LB, S, RB's, and perhaps TE's are a different matter, primarily because they typically aren't drafted high.  When they are, something is special about them to necessitate a RD1 pick which, I believe, makes them less of a risk.  The premium positions listed above get drafted high sometimes without that characteristic...but because they play a high-value position.

Nothing is absolute and no team is head and shoulders above the others though.  I recall @BADOLBILZ noting how the Bills during the drought weren't terrible drafting, but they used high picks on lesser positional value, had hits and few busts, but the end result was still those 4-7 win teams.  And during those years, their success at QB, WR, LT, DE was minimal.  And when they took a CB high who excelled, typically those guys lasted one contract and left in UFA like Clements and Gilmore.  

Still have to take shots, as McBeane proved with Josh, at QB.  

If Beane feels a guy is worth moving up for, AND the cost isn't too much then you can bet he will do it.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

3 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

I haven’t read every post yet, but I’d like to see this broken down by:

1) who made the pick

2) round they mad it in

3 position they picked

I think if we are going to pay attention to trends we should see the variance between decision makers first. 

Polian vs Whaley for example: you wouldn’t just lump them together and draw a meaningful conclusion.

You'd also have to consider the coaching staff dynamic as well. Here in Pittsburgh drafting changed when Cowher left and Tomlin came in.

23 hours ago, boyst said:

i need to read the article but my hot take is that when you look at the entire draft you can see and say this but if you look at individual programs you can surely see that some teams are better at it structurally than others. Especially at certain positions. Some teams just do extremely well at positional drafting.

Article covers this, using the Ravens as an example. It also points out they largely adopted the more is better philosophy and simply have more pics than everyone else therefore hit more often. 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Fair enough on that last.  I also agree on the point that teams can and do draft good WR who contribute heavily to their success in the 2nd and later.

But context is also important; my point is that considering Romeo Doubs as a better 2022 draft choice than Khalil Shakir may not be justified, given Shakir's 63 fewer yards on less than half the targets Doubs got.

I personally think you're overestimating the quality of GB's WR and under-crediting the quality of our 2 choices, Davis and Shakir, for the round in which they were drafted.

I also think the problem with the Bills drafting WR is that after muffing on Zay Jones in the 2017 2nd, we simply haven't invested the draft resources at the position.  Take KC, who look like they finally got a good 2nd round WR in Rashee Rice (if his culpable driving and legal troubles don't derail him).  They took 3 - 2nd round shots who are totally meh in Mecole Hardman (2019) Skyy Moore (2022) and now Rice, to get what looks like one legit guy.

I don't think our problem is necessarily scouting, but more

1) draft day shenanigans by Beane (trading away mid-round pick resources to move up in the 1st and 2nd or to trade for a player - we've been without a 4th 21,22,23 and we're without a 3rd in 24

2) allocation of resources - we haven't actually drafted a WR earlier than Rd 4 since 2017, before Beane officially arrived.  

In the 2nd round, we've drafted 2 OG, a RB, and 2 DE (and traded to move up).

In the 3rd round, we've drafted 2 RB, a TE, an OT, 2 LB, and a DT

I think it's possible that Beane and his FO might ID and draft good WR talent in the mid-rounds - but they haven't pulled the trigger.

Note that I'm not saying they were wrong to allocate resources as they have - I'm all about protecting Josh, for example.  But someone has to catch the ball.

Oh, I wasn't saying that the Doubts pick was better than the Shakir one; I'm saying there are talented scouts out there, who play a hand in selecting good WR outside of the 1st round. I agree that McBeane have collectively "turtled", since the Zay Jones experiment, and their resource allocation choices haven't been what I would have hoped, either. 

My point is that it would be wise for Beane to identify those scouts picking productive WR outside of round one, and bring them into the fold. Not every single example is perfect, but I don't feel like we have been confident enough in our scouting of rounds 2-3 WR to pick one. Maybe it is just their overreaction to the Jones pick; us amateur speculators will never know. 

But if the following are true:

1. Beane has a lack of confidence in our scouting of 2nd-3rd round WR talent.

2. Some other teams seem to capably draft WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Then, why would we not want to look to successful programs and talent identifiers / scouts?

That is my point.

In short, the ONLY draft pick that truly matters is for those teams looking for a starting quarterback. No other position even comes close. Thank goodness that isn’t us for a while….finally. So, stay in your draft slot and only move up or back a slot or two if you pretty much know a player you sort of like will or won’t be there because of what you know the teams directly in front of or behind you are going to do. 

11 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If Beane feels a guy is worth moving up for, AND the cost isn't too much then you can bet he will do it.

That's not the point really, nor anything I'm doubting.  McBeane have proven time and again they'll use draft picks to move up, as they did with Kincaid and Elam in RD1 these last 2 years.

The issue is, people like to claim the draft is a total crap-shoot and that's surface-level analysis.  You can be a decent drafting team without prioritizing the riskier positions to draft and look OK or better.  You can get burned drafting the higher positions and be viewed not so good.

Drafting well is finding talent primarily at the harder to find positions because it more than likely shows up in W-L column.  I don't think the question to ask is whether the draft is a crap-shoot, which in this discussion is mostly RD1-2 picks.  It's more about are teams bold enough there to go after the premium positions to find elite talent.  When they do, they're more likely to win if they have decent personnel people. 

• Agree 1