Packers vs Eagles confirmed week 1 in Brazil.

Gregg

22 minutes ago, BBFL said:

What a joke that a teams fans lose the home opener to the season. Absolute let down. 

Agreed but I believe it is part of their mandatory overseas agreement. Obviously overseas week 1 stinks but I guess you can have a good viewing party and the rest of the year not have to worry about it

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BBFL said:

What a joke that a teams fans lose the home opener to the season. Absolute let down. 

Most people watch on TV. And they can still do that no matter where the game is.

• Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Most people watch on TV. And they can still do that no matter where the game is.

Opening day games should be in hometown, NFL stadiums.

I get the NFL wanting to expand their fanbase but fans in Brazil aren’t counting the days down to opening day like fans in regions that are home to teams.

Save these games for later in the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

Just now, Beast said:

I get the NFL wanting to expand their fanbase but fans in Brazil aren’t counting the days down to opening day like fans in regions that are home to teams.

Well I guess they don't agree with you.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

Since the teams have to travel wouldn’t it actually be BETTER for the international game to be opening weekend? The Dodgers just opened in South Korea a couple of weeks ago. Now it’s done and behind them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Beast said:

No *****. I guess you must agree with everything the NFL does, huh?

No. But I don't really care if the NFL wants to have some international games sometimes.

Too many people are just automatically opposed to any change whatsoever.

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

NFL's got a good thing going but just can't help themselves. Growth for the sake of growth. An Edward Abbey quote comes to mind. 

Expanding the sport internationally is a good idea for many reasons. For one thing, it could open up the talent pool if more athletes worldwide become interested in pursuing football instead of other sports.

The NBA benefits greatly from having an international pull for talent. So does the NHL. Even MLB.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Since the teams have to travel wouldn’t it actually be BETTER for the international game to be opening weekend? The Dodgers just opened in South Korea a couple of weeks ago. Now it’s done and behind them. 

I didn’t like that, either. 

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

brazil is a disgusting place.

They’re not very fond of you, either.   😋

• Thank you (+1) 1

The first home game of the season still brings about excitement for me at a level that Christmas did when I was a kid.  How disappointing that the NFL is going to take that away from a group of fans.

11 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm just thankful its not the Bills. 

That trip to London last year de-railed the season 

I am hoping for a 1:00 home opener week 1 vs the Pats. It's always nice to start 1-0 and a game like this would give the Bills a great chance to do that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MJS said:

No. But I don't really care if the NFL wants to have some international games sometimes.

Too many people are just automatically upposed to any change whatsoever.

Expanding the sport internationally is a good idea for many reasons. For one thing, it could open up the talent pool if more athletes worldwide become interested in pursuing football instead of other sports.

The NBA benefits greatly from having an international pull for talent. So does the NHL. Even MLB.

How many English or Spanish premier games are played in the US?

I think it’s perfectly natural for a fan base to be discontent on losing 1 of 7/8 home games.  Loyalty works both ways, and max profits aren’t every franchises top priority.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BBFL said:

I mean that's one way to look at it, on the other hand they get this weird travel game out of the way right off the bat then the next home game will really be their opener.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I think it’s perfectly natural for a fan base to be discontent on losing 1 of 7/8 home games.  Loyalty works both ways...

Now imagine the future, where you'll pay $5K and up for a seat license.. for the right to buy a ticket to a game... oops nope... we're moving the game to another country... insanity

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

I mean, then it's not really a "home" opener. The home opener would be the 2nd home game on their schedule. Both teams basically road teams in Brazil.

Even putting my dislike of this game aside Brazil is more a soccer crazed nation.  I can’t ever see American football becoming big there.

Gisele Bundchen I think will forever be number 1 tie to the NFL in Brazil 

• Like (+1) 1

Are they going to take up the good field and put down a crap field for the NFL players, again? Will there be any “jet lag experiments”? 

I don’t resent the Billionaires for their wealth, but when they compromise the game in the interest of more money, I have a problem.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, then it's not really a "home" opener. The home opener would be the 2nd home game on their schedule. Both teams basically road teams in Brazil.

But technically it’s a home game for one team, right? Like the Bills were the home team when we played in London last year in front of the fan base the NFL and the Jags had been cultivating since 2013. Home games take place in your own stadium in front of your own fans. Period. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

But technically it’s a home game for one team, right? Like the Bills were the home team when we played in London last year in front of the fan base the NFL and the Jags had been cultivating since 2013. Home games take place in your own stadium in front of your own fans. Period. 

With the 17 games schedule teams are "losing" 1 home game that already had 9, for the most part. It's really not a huge issue. 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

With the 17 games schedule teams are "losing" 1 home game that already had 9, for the most part. It's really not a huge issue. 

I realize it’s bigger to me than most people, but it still bothers me. A team that doesn’t play overseas does not lose that home game, and one game can decide if you make the playoffs and where you have to play. That’s why teams fight tooth and nail to get a good seed in the playoffs, HOME FIELD.

It is admittedly less of an issue with more games, but it is still inherently unfair IMO. Not that anyone cares. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This year the NFC gets 9 home games and 8 road games. On the flip of "home" argument is the "road" team gets to play one less real road game. So, they get 9 home games with 7 road games and a neutral site game which is what this is for both teams.

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

Are they going to take up the good field and put down a crap field for the NFL players, again? Will there be any “jet lag experiments”? 

I don’t resent the Billionaires for their wealth, but when they compromise the game in the interest of more money, I have a problem.  

I believe Brazil is in the same time zone that we are so that shouldn’t be an issue.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You don't have to put losing in quotes, one team is losing a home game no matter how you spin it.

4 hours ago, BBFL said:

No one seems to be complaining about the extra money being brought in by it - 48.8% of which goes to the players. 

• Agree 1

Good luck to them.

Whatever money the NFL earns from these offshore games, the players should get half.  

It's a real speed bump to the season.  That game in London, for the Bills, nearly caused their season to cartwheel into a catastrophe.  

If the entire team had been inflicted with the flu it couldn't have caused more problems.  The recent games snowed out by blizzards have been less of an issue.