New Buscaglia mock has Bills trading up to 7 for Malik Nabers

Logic

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kincaid is nice.  Cook is nice.  Shakir is rising.

We need speed and explosive playmaking.    

We added some good explosiveness in Samuel  (1 of the fastest players within a few yards per analytics) 

Nabers is DYNAMITE.   His acceleration looks other worldly.  He goes from 0-100 in 2 steps.  On his routes, his change of direction, stop and start is elite

Would be thrilled to get him 

Agreed. One of the most explosive players I've seen in recent memory. I don't know what those guys are eating in Louisiana, but it's working.

Edited by Allen2Moulds
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I really hope that's not the plan.  This appears to be one of the deepest WR drafts in several years.  There's no need to bet the farm on one guy.  They'd be better off taking WRs at 28 and 60,  or perhaps making a small move up the board from one of those two picks.   Regardless.  I'd like to see them keep those three picks in the first two rounds next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane will now try to move up for one of the top four receivers (I include Thomas). Maybe you don't have to wreck your draft to nab one of them. They are all worth a move up so there is no need to focus only on Nabors.  Mitchell would be worth a smaller move up if a deal can't be made for one of the others and they are off the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW, I’ve heard that the Bills LOVE Nabers. Obviously he has star potential. Personally, I prefer Harrison and Odunze but each could be great. 

I’m confident that the Bills will be targeting one of those 3. We will see if there’s a deal to be had.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I hear you, but also...

Jim Harbaugh. Greg Roman.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them take a top tackle and get a receiver later. The coach and OC both strike me as old school "trenches before weapons" guys.

I've already used up my allotment of positive emojis on you in this thread. This is correct. Character is destiny. I think it's at least a plausible happening. I like the double dip with Mitchell/Legette and McConkey. I would do that, and honestly, it's the feasible path I hope for, because I doubt we end up with one of the top 3. But if this option really does become possible, you have to take your shot. I think Nabers is a future superstar, and he would open up the entire offense. It's an exponential add.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’ve heard that the Bills LOVE Nabers. Obviously he has star potential. Personally, I prefer Harrison and Odunze but each could be great. 

I’m confident that the Bills will be targeting one of those 3. We will see if there’s a deal to be had.

Thanks for this nugget.

Allen also mentioned him first when recently asked about WRs in this year's draft. He seemed pretty knowledgeable about the class, and Nabers was the first name out of his mouth. He wanted Kincaid last year. Obviously, circumstances are quite different this year with Nabers being expected to go so high, but...we shall see.

I think Joe Schoen at 5 would be the perfect trade partner. Failing that, the Bears at 9 seem very logical, too, should Odunze fall that far.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I understand your point of view.

Personally, I think we've seen what it's like to have a bunch of good to above average players and not enough GREAT players on the roster. It gets us to the Divisional round, and then we lose to a team with more GREAT players.

Me? I want more GREAT players around Josh Allen, and Nabers has the potential for greatness.

Give me one elite, blue chip playmaker with the potential for GREATNESS over a handful of potentially GOOD players, all day long and twice on Sundays.

Agree 100%

For This season:

Kincaid - Top 10 TE potential 

Cook - Top 10 RB potential 

Shakir - Top 10 potential as WR2 or WR3(if we draft a stud)

Is that being too optimistic?

• Like (+1) 2

I don't know Nabers up-side but I think Thomas could be a legit number 1 for us.

And today I'm circling back to thinking that Mitchell could be the guy and not involve a trade-up, or a very small one. Especially if we get a vet like Thomas, I can see Mitchell being eased into the role.

No vet signing, to me, signifies they need a more pro-ready guy like Thomas and that's a trade up to the teens, I think. Don't expect a trade to 10-12 but Beane has surprised us before — and recently.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Agree 100%

For This season:

Kincaid - Top 10 TE potential 

Cook - Top 10 RB potential 

Shakir - Top 10 potential as WR2 or WR3(if we draft a stud)

Is that being too optimistic?

I don't think the Kincaid and Cook outlooks are too optimistic. Cook already WAS statistically a top 10 running back last year, and Kincaid has the look of a year two breakout star.

I like Shakir a lot, but it could be argued that that's the only one on your list that might be a bit optimistic, if only because I expect Curtis Samuel and a soon-to-be-signed vet WR to eat up some of his opportunities.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I don't know Nabers up-side but I think Thomas could be a legit number 1 for us.

And today I'm circling back to thinking that Mitchell could be the guy and not involve a trade-up, or a very small one. Especially if we get a vet like Thomas, I can see Mitchell being eased into the role.

No vet signing, to me, signifies they need a more pro-ready guy like Thomas and that's a trade up to the teens, I think. Don't expect a trade to 10-12 but Beane has surprised us before — and recently.

I think that his upside is “best WR in football.” All 3 of the top guys in this draft have that ceiling. They have HOF potential. Obviously, we are a LONG way from that but that’s where their skills are. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nabers is so good he might get drafted before MHJ. It would be a shock but not crazy.

Honestly I can make a case for a move like this or just sitting tight. Giving up next year's #1 just to get a WR at 18 makes little sense. Either go big or just sit tight and take a WR at 28. 

I don't see Nabers lasting until 7. The first 3 Picks will be QB's. Then the next 3 Picks are all WR needy teams with Harrison and Nabers being the highest rated players on the board.

Even if one of them trades their pick to Minnesota, the other two will take Harrison and Nabers, or move their pick to someone who will. The 6th spot is the lowest you can go to land one of them, in my opinion.

As for the cost to do that, I see it as at least being:

1st, 4th, and 5th in 2024

1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2025

The cost in the Julio Trade from 27 to 6 was a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2011 and a 1st and a 4th in 2012. So to go from 28 to 6 - you'll need to match that and sweeten it a bit. 

I think the Giants will be more interested in '25 picks to get their QB they'll have missed out on this year. So we can get away with our 1st, 2nd, and 4th part of the deal not being this year but next year instead.

With that move and the projected comp picks - we could do that and still have fairly standard Drafts, minus the 1st next year. We'd take Harrison/Nabers and still have a 2nd, 4th, two 5th's, two 6th's and a 7th this year. And next year we'd still have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and two 6th's.

Would Beane do that? I don't know. But that's how I see it playing out if we wanted Nabers.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Would you rather:

A.) Trade up to #7 for Malik Nabers or Marvin Harrison Jr. for (2024 1st, 2024 4th and 2025 1st, 2025 2nd)

or

B.) Take a WR at #28 and package our #60 pick and a future 3rd to move to the top of RD2 to take a second WR of your choosing?

I have seen Nabers play and he looks like an excellent receiver. That said, this is not a move that I would be in favor of. 

In 2014, an undisciplined, impulsive Doug Whaley gave away the store for Sammy Watkins and it proved to be a disaster. True, we didn't have a decent QB on the roster (let alone a great one like Josh Allen) but if deals like this turn out to be a mistake they can cripple a team. This draft is said to be quite deep at the WR and OT positions. I favor staying put and filling the roster with early picks at these positions. 

I readily admit that I suffer from shell shock after decades of Bills stupidity and really do hope that McDermott surprises me and does this the right way.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Would you rather:

A.) Trade up to #7 for Malik Nabers or Marvin Harrison Jr. for (2024 1st, 2024 4th and 2025 1st, 2025 2nd)

or

B.) Take a WR at #28 and package our #60 pick and a future 3rd to move to the top of RD2 to take a second WR of your choosing?

neither player will be on the board at #7, but A for sure.

if we go with B, it could also be very cool…but less % chance of an elite player

19 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Would you rather:

or

Nabers.  

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have seen Nabers play and he looks like an excellent receiver. That said, this is not a move that I would be in favor of. 

In 2014, an undisciplined, impulsive Doug Whaley gave away the store for Sammy Watkins and it proved to be a disaster. True, we didn't have a decent QB on the roster (let alone a great one like Josh Allen) but if deals like this turn out to be a mistake they can cripple a team.This draft is said to be quite deep at the WR and OT positions. I favor staying put and filling the roster with early picks at these positions. 

I readily admit that I suffer from shell shock after decades of Bills stupidity and really do hope that McDermott surprises me and does this the right way.

since when is McDermott the GM?

Beane will do WAY more homework and research than Doug did

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In 2014, an undisciplined, impulsive Doug Whaley gave away the store for Sammy Watkins and it proved to be a disaster. True, we didn't have a decent QB on the roster (let alone a great one like Josh Allen) but if deals like this turn out to be a mistake they can cripple a team.This draft is said to be quite deep at the WR and OT positions. I favor staying put and filling the roster with early picks at these positions. 

Rookie Watkins with Allen is a 1400 yard rookie who makes the pro bowl.  Watkins had no one throwing his way 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

since when is McDermott the GM?

Beane will do WAY more homework and research than Doug did

McDermott is the power in this organization. He was here before Beane, got him hired and can get him fired. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I just need to know where to go to get my handy once I make the trade happen !

In all seriousness...

If you can make this exact trade happen, I'll get a deluxe manicure, give you my home address, and cook you lobster tails beforehand.

• Haha (+1) 4

If 4 QB’s go in the top 4 picks, I could see the Giants trading down for a haul of 2025 picks.  If one of the 4 top QB’s falls to 6, Giants probably pull trigger on on a QB, but that means Harrison and Nabers are gone anyway.  

I could see Beane having deal in place with Bears at 9 also if Odunze is there. Beane probably also has deal in place between pick 16 and 19 for Thomas.  If all 3 of those fall through, then we trade pick 28 for Aiyuk.  If that falls through, then it’s probably next years 1st for Metcalf.  Beane didn’t trade Diggs without at least a 5 deep contingency plan.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Julio Jones trade is best comp.  Falcons gave up their 1st, 2nd and 4th round picks then next years 1st and 4th.  

And what did that insanity get them? A total collapse in the SB, and quick descent into irrelevance for years because they had two years with no impact draft picks. Bills desperately also need DL and safety help. Keeping their picks and getting McConkey or Legette, or one of those and maybe Pearsall as well would be fantastic. I'm glad no one posting here is the GM. Bills have too many needs. The Bills defense has been the main reason the Bills have not gotten the the SB. And this years version looks more suspect then ever. Gutting two years of draft picks is pure nonsense.             

2 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

And what did that insanity get them? A total collapse in the SB, and quick descent into irrelevance for years because they had two years with no impact draft picks. Bills desperately also need DL and safety help. Keeping their picks and getting McConkey or Legette, or one of those and maybe Pearsall as well would be fantastic. I'm glad no one posting here is the GM. Bills have too many needs. The Bills defense has been the main reason the Bills have not gotten the the SB. And this years version looks more suspect then ever. Gutting two years of draft picks is pure nonsense.             

They took Jones in 2011, they didn’t make the Super Bowl for a few years. There’s no real correlation. They just drafted horribly afterwards with massive busts like Takk McKinley 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Would you rather:

or

Probably B honestly.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Rookie Watkins with Allen is a 1400 yard rookie who makes the pro bowl.  Watkins had no one throwing his way 

I agree and tried to make that clear.

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Shouldn’t your username be Sean from William & Mary 

Believe what you will. If McDermott drafts a defensive player in round one, will you change your outlook?

4 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

It seems like most people on this board think the key to getting past the Chiefs and to the SB is "more offense".  A case can be made for more defense too.  As we have painfully seen, one or two key plays on defense can also be the difference in those tight games.

22 hours ago, NickelCity said:

MHJ nabers and odunze are the only players for whom a trade-up makes sense. Even so, if we do so and they are not perennial elite NFL WRs and quickly, we've mortgaged some serious draft capital with implications. It's a real risk.

While I like Odunze, I am not doing a trade like that for him.  Now, of course I could be wrong because who knows, but I think MHJ and Nabers are the only WRs worth doing a deal like this for.  It's a tough deal for sure, but I am at the point, and have been for a few years now, that I'm ready to go all in.  Not only am I making a trade like this for MHJ or Nabers, but I am also exploring the trade market for an established upper tier WR as well. 

My goal is to get 2 dominant WRs to pair with Samuel, Shakir, Cook, and Kincaid and just try to run other teams out of the stadium.  This focus on defense has not worked, and has actually cost us games.  Go all out for offense, find a way to get 4 stops on defense, and just try and blow teams out.

Edited by sven233
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1