Calling it now: You're all about to witness the arrival of Shakir

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Who led the team in receiving once Brady took over and had the only 100 yards games (twice)?  Diggs or Shakir?

Thanks for playing.  

Diggs wasn’t effective, imo because he’s washed. He was still the focal point. this is inarguable.

Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid will definitively be more the focal point for the 2024 Bills because they play for the Bills. Also, inarguable. 

• Like (+1) 3

And which WR in the draft gets the most separation and YAC? 

Ladd - maybe too much duplication but if not, I think he’s their guy. 1 or 2 WRs, with Walker, baker, rice, etc to follow

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Diggs wasn’t effective, imo because he’s washed. He was still the focal point. this is inarguable.

Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid will definitively be more the focal point for the 2024 Bills because they play for the Bills. Also, inarguable. 

So you’re saying you don’t actually have a point here…got it lol

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So you’re saying you don’t actually have a point here…got it lol

No I agree that Shakir and Samuel are gonna get more focus in 2024 than Diggs and Davis. Like another poster said, water is wet.

Alphadawg you’re one of my favorite posters but Shakir emerged end of last season. He was the best weapon in most of the final regular season games and definitely against KC in the divisional game. The guy catches everything and gets better at the end of games.  The Bills don’t pull the trigger on the Diggs deal without confidence that Shakir, Samuel and Kincaid can carry load with 1st rounder being the vertical threat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking back at this thread I started April 4th...anyone feel differently now that Beane has shown he and the team have a lot of confidence in Shakir given we didn't make a major splash move up in draft and only drafted 1 WR overall?  What about seeing him working out with Moulds again this off-season?  

I can't wait to sse this offense on the field personally...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looking back at this thread I started April 4th...anyone feel differently now that Beane has shown he and the team have a lot of confidence in Shakir given we didn't make a major splash move up in draft and only drafted 1 WR overall?  What about seeing him working out with Moulds again this off-season?  

Your original write up I totally agree with and I can get on board with this as well. I don’t know if Coleman can be a viable replacement for Stephon or not but this offense found its groove without him toward the end of last season. The transition from one OC to another was apparent and Shakir made his mark in a short period of time, which makes what you said all the more true. Good call Alpha

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Looking back at this thread I started April 4th...anyone feel differently now that Beane has shown he and the team have a lot of confidence in Shakir given we didn't make a major splash move up in draft and only drafted 1 WR overall?

No more confident than I felt about Gabe Davis last year after Beane elected not to sign Hopkins. Well that's not entirely true, I am more confident in Shakir than I was in Davis. But just because Beane chooses to elevate a player's role on the depth chart doesn't mean I inherently trust that he's correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

Just now, HappyDays said:

No more confident than I felt about Gabe Davis last year after Beane elected not to sign Hopkins. Well that's not entirely true, I am more confident in Shakir than I was in Davis. But just because Beane chooses to elevate a player's role on the depth chart doesn't mean I inherently trust that he's correct.

Thats fair, although I am still personally very confident and high on Shakir regardless

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wouldn't take a victory lap until we actually see how it plays out. I hope you're right, of course. I still think the WR room is lacking. I don't like the depth. You still need a reliable field stretcher, I don't care that Brady has a different concept of how the offense should look. I love Coleman's personality, work ethic, and intelligence. It doesn't make my concerns about him disappear, but it makes it very easy to root for him, apart from his importance to the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I wouldn't take a victory lap until we actually see how it plays out. I hope you're right, of course. I still think the WR room is lacking. I don't like the depth. You still need a reliable field stretcher, I don't care that Brady has a different concept of how the offense should look. I love Coleman's personality, work ethic, and intelligence. It doesn't make my concerns about him disappear, but it makes it very easy to root for him, apart from his importance to the Buffalo Bills.

Wasnt a victory lap by any means, was just wondering if the vote of confidence by the team changed their perspective at all as many were down on him before the draft and expecting to see 2 WR's taken, or a big trade go down.  Then the video on him and Bernard came out that also was great to see.  So more just seeing if there more people warming up to him or adjusting their expectations based off that.  

He still has to perform on the field when the games start for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

100% agree, Beane has alot of faith in Shakir taking another step this season.

You've made some great predictions in the past on here, so I'm hoping you're spot on with this one too.

I'm still concerned about having a 2nd boundary/field stretcher.  I guess we'll see in June/July if Beane makes another move with the Tre $s.

I think Brady has plenty of solid weapons at his disposal, Shakir being one of those.  I see 4 guys capable of 700-900 yards with Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman.  I'm hoping we can find a WR4, a field stretcher better than Hollins.  Shorter/Shavers/Hamler are big wild cards.

But yes, drafting just 1 WR certainly shows faith in our current group + Coleman.  Hoping you and Beane are right here.

I think you're last "calling it now" was Bills make AFCCG. 

Do you just pick things and say that so you can say "I told you so!" if it happens? 

He was literally our best WR down the stretch. We now have Samuel, Hamler, and Coleman on the outside. We have Kincaid at Flex/ TE... is this some.... insane take that only you have or something? I believe most of us think this.... 

Edited by warrior9

One of the main reasons I was emphatic about Dorsey being a dud, and  that he must be fired, was his gross incompetence, including his extremely poor use of the players on this offense.   Not using Shakir was one of Dorsey's most incompetent 'decisions'.  I was screaming for this sure handed, smart, fast separator to be their main slot receiver (++) and to be on the field all of the time.. 

The fact that he trained last summer with Moulds only enhanced my belief in what he could do last year if just given the opportunity.  As the Bills' offense regressed and regressed I was shocked that McD did not force Dorsey to use his players better, especially Shakir.

He catches the ball like Andre Reed, and gets open like him too.

BUT, I am pretty sure almost every Bills fan believed he had already arrived last year!

But a good analysis anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

Nope...you're still one of the best posters on this board.... 

😍😀

• Haha (+1) 1

Do we look at this as confidence in Shakir or Kincaid? Or Both? I'm not sure how much playing time Shakir gets if Brady ends up using two TE sets a lot, which they should definitely do. 

I think the biggest thing we'll see this year is Josh not forcing the ball to satisfy Diggs.

If you're open, you'll get the ball. Not to compare to Tom Brady, but he didn't give a fudge. If you're open you get it. He made receivers great, not the other way around. 

Josh is at that point. Personally...I can't wait to see the distribution between WR, TE, RB & a little RPO. 

Bring it new Bills! 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Do we look at this as confidence in Shakir or Kincaid? Or Both? I'm not sure how much playing time Shakir gets if Brady ends up using two TE sets a lot, which they should definitely do. 

Thats a fair point as well, but I do think Shakir has earned his time on the field with them and we will see him still get a large increase in targets too.  But yes, I am also very excited about Kincaid.  

35 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I think you're last "calling it now" was Bills make AFCCG. 

Do you just pick things and say that so you can say "I told you so!" if it happens? 

Yes, that was one I posted, but we were .500 and coming off a loss to the Eagles when I made it and laid what I thought would happen rest of season and why I was optimistic still at a time where a lot people were not.  And if you think that is why I post these threads, and it's only been a few, then you don't know me well as a poster.

35 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He was literally our best WR down the stretch. We now have Samuel, Hamler, and Coleman on the outside. We have Kincaid at Flex/ TE... is this some.... insane take that only you have or something? I believe most of us think this.... 

If you think most think this, then I suggest you read the thread and all the draft day threads this year with all the people melting down that we didn't take a 2nd WR to play ahead of Shakir.  I also spent all of last season arguing with people that we needed less Davis and more Shakir too, including starting threads on it long before he broke out.  I spent most of last pre-season arguing with people who swore he had bad hands and cant catch because of the one pass that was overturned in the playoff game as a rookie against Miami.  If it was most of us, I wouldn't have started the thread.  

And of course, there are people high on him too, never said I was the only one.  I will say though, I have been all about Shakir since draft night when we stole him in the 5th round.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Nope...you're still one of the best posters on this board.... 

😍😀

Hahaha thanks.  Well I hope he changes your mind this season on the field 

Just now, HOUSE said:

Calling it now Kincaid is arriving too

I think Coleman is going to hit the ground running and it would not surprise me at all if we see all 3 of Coleman, Shakir, and Kincaid flirt with or pass 1000 yards each this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Beane also elevated McKenzie to replace Beasley. Is McK even in the league anymore?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, last offseason when people were talking up the acquisitions of Sherfield and Harty like Beane had found a couple gems..........they didn't like it when I pointed out that they hadn't produced for sh!t in their relatively long NFL careers and were unlikely to even produce as much as departing bums Crowder/McKenzie(and indeed, those two stiffs did put up a few more combined receiving yards than Sherf+Sharty:lol:).

Fans just assumed Sherf/Sharty would be better with the Bills.

Truer to form.......they were not.

There is a little of that going on here again.

Curtis Samuel has the most yards receiving in one NFL season of any receiver on the roster with 851 four seasons ago in 2020.  

If that remains the case it's the first time since 1987 that they will have taken a receiving corps into a season without at least one receiver who had produced at least one 900 yard season in their career.

Prior to that 1987 season you gotta' go back at least into the 1970's or 1960's.

I mean this is a REALLY unproven WR corps.

It is a big ask to basically expect everybody to play better than the year before......and in the process have the best year of their career to date.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 6

Nah, you gotta declare that he'll be for us what Cee Dee Lamb is for the Cowboys to drive home the impact and reliability you think he'll have.

Shakir to me has what it takes to duplicate what Diggs meant to the team and what he produced.

I gotta at least one laughing emoji for stating it a few months back. 😠

Nah, you gotta declare that he'll be for us what Cee Dee Lamb is for the Cowboys to drive home the impact and reliability you think he'll have.

Shakir to me has what it takes to duplicate what Diggs meant to the team and what he produced.

47 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Beane also elevated McKenzie to replace Beasley. Is McK even in the league anymore?

What does that have to do with anything?  Bill Walsh paid a bounty and traded up for JJ Stokes and called him the next Jerry Rice.  Guess that means every decision Bill Walsh made also didn't work out right?  

by the way here are Diggs' rookie stats with the Vikings

52 catches on 84 targets (62%) for 720 yards (13.8 yards per catch) and 4 TDs.  

Shakir was an afterthought as a rookie, but here are his stats from last year

39 catches on 45 targets (86.7%) for 611 yards (15.7 yards per catch) and 2 TDs.  

In his young career Shakir's stats are

49 catches on 65 targets (75.4%) for 772 yards (15.8 yards per catch) and 3 TDs.  Kind of looks alot like Diggs.

Getting another good WR is not an indictment on Shakir.  It is a need for the overall talent level of the WR room and dramatically adds to the offensive potential of the Bills.

Getting a good WR would give the Bills 4 playable WRs, Shakir/Samuel/Coleman/and new addition, with hopefully 2 that can play the boundary.

• Agree 1

What does that have to do with anything?  Bill Walsh paid a bounty and traded up for JJ Stokes and called him the next Jerry Rice.  Guess that means every decision Bill Walsh made also didn't work out right?  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im big on Shakir. I was one of the first last season to speak up about him.  Made a thread called something like "Shakir is our most explosive player on offense."  That said, Beane had a lot of confidence last season in Davis and didnt really do much at the WR position then either.  I take that with a grain of salt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

No need to repeat yourself.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

I think the biggest thing we'll see this year is Josh not forcing the ball to satisfy Diggs.

If you're open, you'll get the ball.

My observation was on the rare occassion Allen actually forced a ball to Diggs, it was because Josh so no one open, and played as if he thought Diggs was his best option.  I would be curious to see videos or photos of plays where Allen obviously passed up an open reciever to throw to a covered Diggs. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

My observation was on the rare occassion Allen actually forced a ball to Diggs, it was because Josh so no one open, and played as if he thought Diggs was his best option.  I would be curious to see videos or photos of plays where Allen obviously passed up an open reciever to throw to a covered Diggs. 

While the tape definitely showed Diggs struggled to get open deep down the stretch in the short and intermediate areas he was still our most open receiver and by a fair amount. I didn't see a ton of evidence of Josh forcing it him.