Do you think Allen feels relief after the Diggs trade?

I think there was a general consensus that Buffalo's offense needed to evolve. It had to become more than just the Allen to Diggs show. I can only speculate, but it feels like the coaches wanted to get reps to other skill position players and Diggs wasn't on board with having a lesser role in the offense. I'm not sure that this means he was acting like a diva as some suggest, but I do think it is something that caused some friction. To me it just seems like a decision was made to move in a different direction. The offense all ready began doing that last year and we saw the number of reps for Diggs drop off significantly toward the end of the season.

I think Diggs is still a very good WR and will do well in Houston. If he stayed here, his production would have stagnated. Defenses were clearly doing everything they could to slow Diggs down and Buffalo's offense was forced to find other playmakers. Fortunately, guys like Shakir, Cook and Kincaid stepped up. The offense all ready began to evolve. I can't really go so far as to say that Diggs was too much of a drama queen. He is a great WR and every great wants the ball. The organization simply needed to move in a different direction.

To me, it looked like Brady was very focused on spreading the ball around when he took over. I think his approach is the right one. I'm excited to see what new wrinkles are added to make the offense even more explosive. It seems to me that the overall philosophy pointed toward having to move on from Diggs.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd just like to point out the 10 best receivers in football last season (yds) were Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St Brown, Puka Nacua, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Aiyuk, Nico Collins, Mike Evans, and Amari Cooper.  Jefferson fell to 19th overall because he missed time, but was second in Y/G.

Hill is in a class by himself, but if he ***** about not "getting his bag" because Waddle, I haven't heard about it.

What Diva-like behavior have Lamb, St Brown, Nacua, and AJ Brown exhibited?  Moore?  Aiyuk?  Evans?  Cooper?  Jefferson?

2022: Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Brown, Diggs, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, Terry McLaurin.   

Again, aside from Hill and Diggs, what Diva-like behavior has been heard about or observed from Jefferson, Adams, Brown, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, McLaurin?

Did you not follow the Eagles and all the drama around AJ Brown vs Coaching this year? Huge drama there during their meltdown, with Brown being the loudest voice in the media.

Amari Cooper was well documented for his lack of effort when he was unhappy in Dallas, and missing too many games for his anti-vax status.

A lot of the guys you listed are too young (being on rookie contracts) to open their dramatic sides, or on teams exceeding/meeting expectations so nothing to be dramatic about yet. But if the Lions start slipping, a fiery guy like Amon St Brown will absolutely fly off the handle.

Hill has the worst drama of all, albeit mostly off field. But he doesnt have to complain about not getting paid because of Waddle since it will likely be the other way around, and Waddle will have to go elsewhere since they are paying Hill. But guarantee if his role was reduced he'd be pissed and loud about it.

edit: Regarding AJ Brown...

https://theathletic.com/5177721/2024/01/04/aj-brown-eagles-frustrations/

"Players have been working on managing their emotions, too. It was Brown’s declining to speak to the media following the Giants game that initially sparked speculation regarding his frustration. “I was raised if I had nothing nice to say, I’m not going to say nothing at all,” he told reporters. It was a cryptic response that begged a question that wasn’t answered until Wednesday: What was it that Brown had nothing nice to say about?...

...But Brown apologized to his teammates during a team meeting Wednesday morning for placing them in a situation where they had to cover for him."

Refusing to speak to the media, "cryptic" messages, and having to apologize to team mates?!? Classic WR.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Diggs arriving helped make Allen a better QB.  Diggs leaving will likely make him an even better QB.

I think the past couple of years, Allen has adjusted his own game to try to accommodate Diggs and keep him "happy."  It wouldn't surprise me if his turnovers went down now - instead of trying to force things to Diggs, he might get back to just playing loose & having fun.

this is probably very close to the reality of the past 2 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, I dont necessarily disagree with your point but WRs have been like this for a long time. Andre Reed was a known malcontent and chirper. Keyshawn Johnson was a thing. Randy Moss was Randy Moss. Isaac Bruce was well known for his sideline blowups in St Louis in the late 90s.

Larry Fitzgerald was more an aberration. But even with Fitz, watching Kurt Warners' "A Football Life", Warner had to light a fire under Fitzgerald just to get him to practice hard or train in the offseason which he thought he was too good for early in his career.

I expect our next #1 WR to have a similar attitude. So should Josh.

Andre Reed ripped the Bills Front Office prior to a playoff game...I believe before Music City Miracle.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes I do and I think the entire franchise does as well. Diggs signed that extension and did a bait and switch. Time will tell what truly irked him.

13 seconds.

2022 season collapse.

Josh Allen. 

Coaching.

Being in Buffalo.

Maybe he is just nuts and can't do longer than a few season anywhere. 

Either way the Bills have loads of cap space moving forward and extra premium draft capital. 

28 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just a little note that asking for approval (implying that Josh needs to sign off on the move, or has a hard veto) is different from asking for input.

I'm pretty sure Josh doesn't have a veto or need to approve the move.

I'm also pretty sure if Josh gave his input that "I really think Stef and I have great days ahead of us next year - we've been talking once or twice a week, he's planning to meet up and throw with me this month and again in May after OTAs, I really think we're good now!" that would have been weighted heavily.

But I don't think that was his input.

I am going to take a little detour into amateur psychology....

In a toxic relationship, some becoming worse like battered-spouse syndrome, the victim is incapable or unwilling to take action. It takes an outside person to observe the goings-on, attempt to intervene or then take action on behalf of the spouse. 

While the above is a bit dramatic, the way I see this apply to a Diggs-Allen relationship is that Diggs could have been the constant complainer and psychological bully. Allen is too nice a guy to drag this into the public eye. I doubt these things only happened behind Allen and Diggs' closed doors. McD and Beane must have seen this. In this situation, Beane would have been right to not wait for Allen to say "I am done with this guy".

In this situation, I agree with you that Allen would not have uttered those type of words expressing support to keeping Diggs. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Andre Reed ripped the Bills Front Office prior to a playoff game...I believe before Music City Miracle.

Andre Reed and Jim Kelly got into a fist fight over Laurie Lisowski.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't tell me, my childhood hero Jim Kelly got knocked out twice by NFL players.

Loose Lori did it huh?

Kelly and Reed were both way bigger sluts. No need to blame her for two grown men acting like children.

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd just like to point out the 10 best receivers in football last season (yds) were Tyreek Hill, CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St Brown, Puka Nacua, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, Aiyuk, Nico Collins, Mike Evans, and Amari Cooper.  Jefferson fell to 19th overall because he missed time, but was second in Y/G.

Hill is in a class by himself, but if he ***** about not "getting his bag" because Waddle, I haven't heard about it.

What Diva-like behavior have Lamb, St Brown, Nacua, and AJ Brown exhibited?  Moore?  Aiyuk?  Evans?  Cooper?  Jefferson?

2022: Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Brown, Diggs, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, Terry McLaurin.   

Again, aside from Hill and Diggs, what Diva-like behavior has been heard about or observed from Jefferson, Adams, Brown, Lamb, Kelce, Davonte Smith, McLaurin?

Kelce yelling at his coaches several times last season. 

Mclaurin seeming to give up

Brown forcing his tradedue to money 

Jefferson is about to show out. He's already made statements about his demands for money. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since the Bills are a professional football organization, it is almost certain Allen was not involved in the decision.  Since Allen is a professional athlete, he certainly understands it is part of the game. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Kelly and Reed were both way bigger sluts. No need to blame her for two grown men acting like children.

So this was like Zack vs Slater over a girl they both just met and Mr. Belding's hair piece fell into the punch bowl at the Max?

• Haha (+1) 1

Allen understands that players come and players go. I don't think him and Diggs have the relationship they used to, so I don't think Allen is that sad to see him go, but I don't think he necessarily feels relieved about it. Fans make these things bigger than they are.

Allen is supremely confident and I'm sure he believes he can win with or without Diggs as long as the Bills bring in other receivers with talent. And he seems to be following the receivers in this draft pretty closely, so he has already been prepared for life without Diggs and to connect woth another young receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Jefferson is about to show out. He's already made statements about his demands for money. 

Great point. How could we forget...

travis-kelce-andy-reid.gif

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Since the Bills are a professional football organization, it is almost certain Allen was not involved in the decision.  Since Allen is a professional athlete, he certainly understands it is part of the game. 

Maybe in 1982, in 2024 modern professional organizations often consult superstars in personnel decisions. As for the role of professional athletes...that is changing in a lot of ways, hell top athletes are more powerful than ever. Josh might have wanted to be at arm's length of the process to protect his position, but I'm sure he was involved.

Edited by Ballhawk

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think it got beyond annoying and to the level of "sick of his s***".

This is just stuff that's made public.  Who knows how Diggs has been communicating with everyone behind the scenes.

Maddy Glab thinks she knows.   😋

“There’s no control over Stefon Diggs. Dude’s gonna do what he wants to do. He’ll look in my face and say, ‘F you.’ How he treats everybody.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Definitely didn’t split any more pants over it. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

“There’s no control over Stefon Diggs. Dude’s gonna do what he wants to do. He’ll look in my face and say, ‘F you.’ How he treats everybody.”

Is that a direct quote from Ms. Glab?

Can you imagine running over, through and around defenses, throwing on the run, extending drives, showing true leadership, and then watching Diggs run out of bounds, duck to not get hit, and generally protect himself instead of trying for YAC? Good riddance Steph. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I think James Jones on one of those talk shows said the Bills figured out they can with without him.

Allen spreads the ball out well, maybe better than any QB in the league.  With Diggs getting up there in age, slowing down and Allen not having to worry about getting Diggs his targets....Allen could actually be better.  You can't force the balls to Diggs like it's 2020 or 2021 anymore.  Diggs will want his targets regardless if he's slowing down.

Allen can now just walk up to the line and can just throw it where he thinks its the best place to go rather than satisfying Diggs ego.  It has to be a relief IMO.

WR are diva's and probably will have to deal with something like this again but a more mature way.  I appreciate what Diggs did for us for 4 seasons but these, what Tim Graham said "micro aggressions" do get annoying, especially for Allen.

I believe 2 things:

100% there is relief in the building.  I don't doubt for a second that team top to bottom appreciates Diggs and what he brought to the team for 4 years, but I am sure they are also now feeling relief that they don't have to face the same repetitive questions and attempts by the media to get click bait stuff on Diggs every time they step to a mic.  Honestly, the main reason the Bills have been in the media as much as they have the past couple years is the constant attempts to sew discontent between Allen and Diggs relationship and Diggs and Bills overall relationship.  They won't have nearly as much coverage this year, there is no drama narrative to force constantly.  

I also think Allen fully appreciates everything him and Diggs accomplished, but realizes this team plays better when we spread the ball around.  So I think Allen is going to enjoy going into each game not having to worry about how Diggs feels.  We all know Diggs is CONTENT when winning and not getting the ball, but never truly happy.  So if this season has some ups and downs and Diggs isn't getting the ball enough in those downs then he was going to be an issue.  Now Allen doesn't have to think about it at all...just go out and make the right decisions.

Calling it now:  Josh Allen will put up another MVP candidate season and we will see him having more fun again like he used to.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The bad energy he brought to the huddle wears on everyone. It gets in the qbs head. 

Players like Stef are wonderful when you're winning, but they tear a team down just as fast when things aren't going well. 

Well said.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don't think that the Bills do this without Allen give it a thumbs up.  

I think James Jones on one of those talk shows said the Bills figured out they can with without him.

Allen spreads the ball out well, maybe better than any QB in the league.  With Diggs getting up there in age, slowing down and Allen not having to worry about getting Diggs his targets....Allen could actually be better.  You can't force the balls to Diggs like it's 2020 or 2021 anymore.  Diggs will want his targets regardless if he's slowing down.

Allen can now just walk up to the line and can just throw it where he thinks its the best place to go rather than satisfying Diggs ego.  It has to be a relief IMO.

WR are diva's and probably will have to deal with something like this again but a more mature way.  I appreciate what Diggs did for us for 4 seasons but these, what Tim Graham said "micro aggressions" do get annoying, especially for Allen.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Allen was unreachable when this went down. He was either on board or maybe even driving the bus on this one.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Kelce, fair point.

McLaurin "seeming to give up"???

Money, yeah, it's business, players will be about the money, that's their side of the business.  But going for money, and going "Antonio Brown", are different beasts.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

It might be missing a word or two, but yeah, she got caught on a hot mic and said this essentially verbatim.

There is a difference between choosing open targets and the feel of having to give more targets away to one player. Because of this.. Josh can just throw to who he sees open more then worrying about a specific player to get targets.. Relief? I would say so... How many INT's was forced towards Diggs and he simply was not open compared to other receivers....  

JA will never publicly say its a relief... but personal level? Hmm.. makes you think,....

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

I had heard about it back then and this was the first thing I found when I looked for it today. 

https://nypost.com/2023/09/14/stefon-diggs-responds-to-bills-reporter-caught-on-hot-mic/

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Kelce, fair point.

McLaurin "seeming to give up"???

Money, yeah, it's business, players will be about the money, that's their side of the business.  But going for money, and going "Antonio Brown", are different beasts.

McClaurin has said some comments in the past where he seems to be saying he is going through the motions playing when it doesn't matter. i am too lazy to look but he has never cried about it but also the team stinks and he isn't pressed on it. i remember a few times where he has just seemed content to be on a crap team without the whole drive to be extra.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Pretty much.  She was forced to walk it back and grovel, but at the time she said it no one was caught on a hot mic saying "oh, Hey now, that's not how I see it".

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

All I kept thinking was how the "You sure" comment on twitter would feel if I were his quarterback. Contrast that against the famous T. Owens interview where he teared up and said "that's my quarterback!"Online comments are always open to interpretation, but how could Josh not see that "You sure" comment and not feel somewhat salty.

QB/WR relationships are delicate, even Diva WR's usually know they have to maintain them. Once a WR starts thinking he is the cause of the success and is carrying the QB you have a serious problem. The good news is that any WR Diva's that join the Bills moving forward will be joining a team with a mature established elite QB. These types of QB's set the tone (even with Diva WR's), moreover they win with only average to good one's (see most Tom Brady's NE years and Patrick Mahones in 2023).

I think we'll see a fired up Josh Allen next year. The league should be afraid of JA out to prove he didn't need Diggs.

T.O. waited years to shred McNabb for being hungover and blowing the NE superbowl. WRs can be high maintenance or divas as long as they put in the work and communicate. The passive aggressive tweets were annoying

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Allen 100% gave his blessing.

Diggs doesn't force his way out if he and Allen are on good terms and Beane doesn't trade Diggs in this way if Allen is against it. 

I look forward to seeing Allen make a jump this year being free of what has clearly become a tense relationship over the past year or so.  And Beane knows he better make it so Allen is able to make that jump.  

Didnt we already use the " Allen will make a jump this year"  last year when he dumped his girlfriend?  I hope you are right.

1 hour ago, Ballhawk said:

Maybe in 1982, in 2024 modern professional organizations often consult superstars in personnel decisions. As for the role of professional athletes...that is changing in a lot of ways, hell top athletes are more powerful than ever. Josh might have wanted to be at arm's length of the process to protect his position, but I'm sure he was involved.

Unless you were in the room, you are only speculating