Gonzo Mock Draft 1.0 2 Rounder

Usually I try to put out a couple of mocks and now seems like a good time to post one with Free Agency slowing down and before the draft. I usually don't project trades but I did here with the Vikings moving up to 5 and the Chargers moving out.  Enjoy and try to be nice haha.

1. Chicago Bears- Caleb Williams QB USC
2. Washington Commanders- Jayden Daniels QB LSU
3. New England Patriots- Drake Maye QB UNC
4. Arizona Cardinals- Marvin Harrison Jr WR OSU
5. Minnesota(from LAC)- J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
6. New York Giants- Malik Nabers WR LSU
7. Tennessee Titans- Joe Alt OT Notre Dame
8. Atlanta Falcons- Jared Verse DE Florida State
9. Chicago Bears- Dallas Turner DE Alabama
10. New York Jets- Brock Bowers TE Georgia
11. Los Angeles Chargers(f/Minn)- Olu Fashanu OT Penn State
12. Denver Broncos- Bo Nix QB Oregon
13. Las Vegas Raiders- Terrion Arnold CB Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints- J.C. Latham OT Alabama
15. Indianapolis Colts- Rome Odunze WR Washington
16. Seattle Seahawks- Jackson Powers Johnson OC Oregon
17. Jacksonville Jaguars- Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU
18. Cincinnati Bengals- Quinyon Mitchell CB Toledo
19. LA Rams- Nate Wiggins CB Clemson
20. Pittsburgh Steelers- Taliese Fuaga OT/OG Oregon State
21. Miami Dolphins- Byron Murphy DT Texas
22. Philadelphia Eagles- Cooper DeJean CB/S Iowa
23. LA Chargers(f/Minn)- Adonai Mitchell WR Texas
24. Dallas Cowboys- Graham Barton OT Duke
25. Green Bay Packers- Jerzahn Newton DT Illinois
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Laiatu Latu DE UCLA
27. Arizona Cardinals- Chop Robinson DE Penn State
28. Buffalo Bills- Xavier Worthy WR Texas
- Alright for all you WR guys this one is for you. Worthy obviously is a high level speed prospect and even though he doesn't fit the specific need for a bigger X receiver or even possibly a natural replacement for Diggs, he is what the Bills are looking for as someone who can provide explosive plays in the pass game which is something that both Beane and McDermott have mentioned this offseason. Besides his world class speed, Worthy was a highly productive prospect. He will have to work on his blocking ability as well as his route running as well as his effort at times.

29. Detroit Lions- Zach Frazier OG/OC West Virginia
30. Baltimore Ravens- Amarius Mims OT Georgia
31. San Francisco 49ers- Troy Fautanu OT/OG Washington
32. Kansas City Chiefs- Kool Aid McKinstry CB Alabama

2nd Round

33. Carolina Panthers- Ladd McConkey WR Georgia
34. New England Patriots- Troy Franklin WR Oregon
35. Arizona Cardinals- Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma
36. Washington Commanders- Darius Robinson DE Missouri
37. LA Chargers- Ennis Rackstraw CB Missouri
38. Tennessee Titans- Roman Wilson WR Michigan
39. Carolina Panthers- Kamari Lassiter CB Georgia
40. Washington Commanders- Keon Coleman WR FSU
41. Green Bay Packers- Jordan Morgan OT Arizona
42. Houston Texans- T.J. Tampa CB Iowa State
43. Atlanta Falcons- Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
44. Las Vegas Raiders- Michael Penix Jr. QB Washington
45. New Orleans Saints- Braden Fiske DT FSU
46. Indianapolis Colts- Mike Sainristil CB/S Michigan
47. New York Giants- Tyler Nubin SAF Minnesota
48. Jacksonville Jaguars- Kris Jenkins DT Michigan
49. Cincinnati Bengals- T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
50. Philadelphia Eagles- Chris Braswell DE Alabama
51. Pittsburgh Steelers- Ricky Pearsall WR Florida
52. LA Rams- Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M
53. Philadelphia Eagles- Payton Wilson LB NC State
54. Cleveland Browns- Jonathon Brooks RB Texas
55. Miami Dolphins- Javon Bullard SAF Georgia
56. Dallas Cowboys- Trey Benson RB FSU
57. Tampa Bay Bucs- Cooper Beebe OG Kansas State
58. Green Bay Packers- Calen Bullock SAF USC
59. Houston Texans- Sedrick Van Pran OG/OC Georgia
60. Buffalo Bills- Kiran Amegadjie OT/OG Yale
- Before you dogwalk me on this pick, this came down to Amegadjie and Adisa Isaac. In this iteration I do not see a DT prospect that is worth their salt at this pick with Fiske, Sweat, and Jenkins all gone. Amegadjie is a super raw prospect who obviously plays in the Ivy League. This might be a slight reach but the potential of Amegadjie to become a high level offensive tackle in this league is right up there with the top OT's in this draft. The Bills did meet with him formally at the combine and while tackle doesn't seem like a need at the moment, Spencer Brown is on his last year of his contract and Amedgadjie did start 10 games at Yale at Guard so he could possibly slot into the Left Guard Spot before taking over for Brown next year. He also possesses rare traits that you dont see in an offensive Tackle. Amegadjie is 6'5 323 pounds and possesses incredibly quick feet, 36 inch arm length and over an 85 inch wingspan. Just watch the kids highlights.

61. Detroit Lions- Max Melton CB Rutgers
62. Baltimore Ravens-Jeremiah Trotter Jr. LB Clemson
63. San Francisco 49ers- Adisa Isaac DE Penn State
64. Kansas City Chiefs- Malachi Corley WR Western Kentucky

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

Well, I'm not scrutinizing, but on a quick read through, I guess it's a plausible scenario. McCarthy seems to be rising. I'm not sure I agree with it, but QBs usually do. Latu falling that far isn't something I expected, but with the injury history, there could be doubts about him. Sure was glad to see Chop go before #28 to stop us from maybe making a foolish mistake. I wouldn't hate Worthy, but I'd be tempted to try and trade back and pick up Legette later. I'd rather have traded up and gotten Mitchell. 15, 18, and 19, that would be a brutal run if you're hoping for WR to fall. I like Amegadjie in the second, given what's left. I'd certainly take him over Adisa Isaac. OT with an aging big man in Dawkins and Brown looking at a big pay day next year is not a foolish pick. Hope Beane finds a way back into the third. It's a long wait after #60.

• Like (+1) 1

I've come around on Worthy. I'd be happy with that. Though I'd prefer a more Outside WR, his all time speed and the addition of Samuel has made me more open to it.

The OT pick? That's a rough one. I get the value. I just don't think the brass is willing to give up on Spencer Brown after last year. Which to me, this pick would be. It's either that or you're Drafting a Swing Tackle in Round 2. 

There's too many needs right now to take a Swing Tackle that high. I understand you're playing the Draft as it falls game without moving and that the value for DT didn't fall right.

But in reality, if we had stood pat in Round 1 and taken a WR - I don't see a way Beane doesn't make a move up to somewhere between 46 and 55 to make sure he lands one of Tyler Nubin, T'Vondre Sweat, Kris Jenkins, or Javon Bullard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've come around on Worthy. I'd be happy with that. Though I'd prefer a more Outside WR, his all time speed and the addition of Samuel has made me more open to it.

The OT pick? That's a rough one. I get the value. I just don't think the brass is willing to give up on Spencer Brown after last year. Which to me, this pick would be. It's either that or you're Drafting a Swing Tackle in Round 2. 

There's too many needs right now to take a Swing Tackle that high. I understand you're playing the Draft as it falls game without moving and that the value for DT didn't fall right.

But in reality, if we had stood pat in Round 1 and taken a WR - I don't see a way Beane doesn't make a move up to somewhere between 46 and 55 to make sure he lands one of Tyler Nubin, T'Vondre Sweat, Kris Jenkins, or Javon Bullard.

It's not a give up on Brown. It's a worry that he'll get a huge offer in free agency we can't match. I like all the names you selected for a second round move up. I guess Sweat and Bullard would be my preferences, but they are all good.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I'm not scrutinizing, but on a quick read through, I guess it's a plausible scenario. McCarthy seems to be rising. I'm not sure I agree with it, but QBs usually do. Latu falling that far isn't something I expected, but with the injury history, there could be doubts about him. Sure was glad to see Chop go before #28 to stop us from maybe making a foolish mistake. I wouldn't hate Worthy, but I'd be tempted to try and trade back and pick up Legette later. I'd rather have traded up and gotten Mitchell. 15, 18, and 19, that would be a brutal run if you're hoping for WR to fall. I like Amegadjie in the second, given what's left. I'd certainly take him over Adisa Isaac. OT with an aging big man in Dawkins and Brown looking at a big pay day next year is not a foolish pick. Hope Beane finds a way back into the third. It's a long wait after #60.

I agree and I do think that Beane will try to move down and recoup a 3rd rounder and probably take a WR in the early parts of round 2. I believe he will move around quite a bit in the early rounds both up and down if he can. That was the exact thought was that Amegadjie can start as a backup while he develops his body in year 1 possibly playing at Guard before pushing out to RT if Spencer Brown leaves and then eventually taking over for Dawkins at LT.  Plus people want reallocation of resources to the offense and this goes that route.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Bills are ok with a Spencer Brown pay increase and are expecting it, moving Morse’s money off the books makes room for an upcoming Brown deal.

Im more than happy with Worthy at 28, but I’d be very surprised at OT in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

I think the Bills are ok with a Spencer Brown pay increase and are expecting it, moving Morse’s money off the books makes room for an upcoming Brown deal.

Im more than happy with Worthy at 28, but I’d be very surprised at OT in the 2nd.

I think if they don't move back from #28, a move up from #60 to secure DT or a S they like is a fair bet to happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This is really well done. All the picks seem quite possible for the specific team

I like Worthy a lot. He isn’t my 1st choice among those we’d target..but as you mentioned Beane and Sean spoke of explosive plays multiple times.  I think Worthy plays bigger than his size. He’s not afraid of contact and sometimes will initiate it to fight for extra yards.  

Worthy and Samuel being in motion on any given play is a world of trouble for defenses. I love the speed.  If Worthy can get himself up to around 180 lbs, and stay under 4.3 speed that would be ideal

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Usually I try to put out a couple of mocks and now seems like a good time to post one with Free Agency slowing down and before the draft. I usually don't project trades but I did here with the Vikings moving up to 5 and the Chargers moving out.  Enjoy and try to be nice haha.

- Alright for all you WR guys this one is for you. Worthy obviously is a high level speed prospect and even though he doesn't fit the specific need for a bigger X receiver or even possibly a natural replacement for Diggs, he is what the Bills are looking for as someone who can provide explosive plays in the pass game which is something that both Beane and McDermott have mentioned this offseason. Besides his world class speed, Worthy was a highly productive prospect. He will have to work on his blocking ability as well as his route running as well as his effort at times.

2nd Round

- Before you dogwalk me on this pick, this came down to Amegadjie and Adisa Isaac. In this iteration I do not see a DT prospect that is worth their salt at this pick with Fiske, Sweat, and Jenkins all gone. Amegadjie is a super raw prospect who obviously plays in the Ivy League. This might be a slight reach but the potential of Amegadjie to become a high level offensive tackle in this league is right up there with the top OT's in this draft. The Bills did meet with him formally at the combine and while tackle doesn't seem like a need at the moment, Spencer Brown is on his last year of his contract and Amedgadjie did start 10 games at Yale at Guard so he could possibly slot into the Left Guard Spot before taking over for Brown next year. He also possesses rare traits that you dont see in an offensive Tackle. Amegadjie is 6'5 323 pounds and possesses incredibly quick feet, 36 inch arm length and over an 85 inch wingspan. Just watch the kids highlights.

I like what you’ve done here…not just regurgitating the same picks as everyone else, but putting a lot of thought into it.  I think your projected Bills picks are zero possibility, but overall, it’s a very interesting mock.

Speed isn't everything, but don't undersell it either.

We've seen how WRs with that kind of speed can make their own separation, and Tyreek has made a career off of it. Not saying he's like that, but I no longer shrug off those guys like I did when people hyped up Marquise Goodwin's potential & 4.27 40 time.

Worthy's 4.21 combine 40 time is elite speed, paired with production, so I'd be happy.

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

It's not a give up on Brown. It's a worry that he'll get a huge offer in free agency we can't match. I like all the names you selected for a second round move up. I guess Sweat and Bullard would be my preferences, but they are all good.

Yeah, but where are we if Brown re-signs? You've spent our 2nd in a year where we need help elsewhere on an Offensive Tackle that, long term, isn't going to see the field unless there's an injury because Dawkins and Brown are under contract. Unless you plan on moving on from Brown, you don't take an OT in Round 1 or Round 2.

I don't agree with spending high picks on Free Agent Insurance a year ahead of time. If we lose Brown next year - you sign a Free Agent or Draft a player high to replace them next year. If you want to take an OT in Round 3 or later that you like as development and insurance, that's fine. But this season we need players that we know are going to see the field in the first 2 Rounds. Especially since we don't have another pick until the end of Round 4.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

35 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, but where are we if Brown re-signs? You've spent our 2nd in a year where we need help elsewhere on an Offensive Tackle that, long term, isn't going to see the field unless there's an injury because Dawkins and Brown are under contract. Unless you plan on moving on from Brown, you don't take an OT in Round 1 or Round 2.

I don't agree with spending high picks on Free Agent Insurance a year ahead of time. If we lose Brown next year - you sign a Free Agent or Draft a player high to replace them next year. If you want to take an OT in Round 3 or later that you like as development and insurance, that's fine. But this season we need players that we know are going to see the field in the first 2 Rounds. Especially since we don't have another pick until the end of Round 4.

If a Tackle is BPA at 60 then go for it ..although I think this is unlikely and I don’t particularly like this guy at that spot .

I think 60 is a real awkward spot in this draft  actually … i don’t like anyone that is left in this scenario presented here  …

I would even entertain Kam Kinchens who is falling like a stone …

I hate trading up normally .. but I’m thinking it might be better to trade up from 60 rather than the first round … alternatively they get lucky in the second round like  last year ..but hope isn’t a plan …

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If a Tackle is BPA at 60 then go for it ..although I think this is unlikely and I don’t particularly like this guy at that spot .

I think 60 is a real awkward spot in this draft  actually … i don’t like anyone that is left in this scenario presented here  …

I would even entertain Kam Kinchens who is falling like a stone …

I hate trading up normally .. but I’m thinking it might be better to trade up from 60 rather than the first round … alternatively they get lucky in the second round like  last year ..but hope isn’t a plan …

Yeah, it seems to me that we should either stay put at 28 or trade down 2-3 spots. Because Round 2 seems the best time for us to move up.

As you said, 60 is kind of no man's land for our needs. If you can get up 10-15 picks in Round 2, you can probably still land a top ranked player at WR, DL, or S. 60 is dicey.

60, 128 (1 of our 2 4th's) and 144 (1 of our 3 5th's) can get you up to 48. And in this Draft scenario, that would land us Kris Jenkins or T'Vondre Sweat. 

Where we are at DT with just Oliver and Jones and nothing else, the landscape of what's left in FA at DT, and the heavy rotation we use at the position - we simply cannot afford to wait until the end of Round 4 to address that position.

• Like (+1) 3

I am really not crazy about Worthy in the first.  He IS super fast, but he is terribly thin and he has OK hands.  I get the idea that he is a deep threat for a big armed QB, but I fear he won’t stay healthy and that NFL DBs may man-handle him.  I know he is quick and will avoid jams and hits sometimes, but he won’t avoid all of them.  I don’t think that any other WR that might be available there is free of concern either, so I would understand the pick.

I would not criticize a high upside OT.  By pick 60, the options at DT, DE and S will be pretty limited.  While they need each of those positions, it’s better not to reach for the position and take a better prospect at a position of lesser perceived need.  I think there will be a step-back on defense no matter what they do in the draft, so get the best prospects you can regardless of need this year.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Agree 2

Almost every year we see at least 1 QB constantly mocked high that slides. IMO Nix is that guy this year.  I like the fit of Nix in Denver. But he's not going at 12, IMO. I think he's still there in round 2. At the very best someone moves up to the very end of round 1 in the 28-32 window for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Almost every year we see at least 1 QB constantly mocked high that slides. IMO Nix is that guy this year.  I like the fit of Nix in Denver. But he's not going at 12, IMO. I think he's still there in round 2. At the very best someone moves up to the very end of round 1 in the 28-32 window for him. 

I think ideally they would trade down and take Nic but they have Las Vegas and NO right behind them that need QBs

• Like (+1) 1

I am not sleeping on Van Den Mark.  He showed very well last pre-season and was active every week.   

He is a LT, and not sure how that fits with the time frame exactly, but I have a hunch that they are confident with VDM and he is in their plans.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I actually think it’s McCarthy that slips. They had a great segment on good morning football about all the winning quarterbacks in college not living up to the hype in the NFL. He’s got a great résumé. He’s a great guy, but he’s not consistent or accurate enough and NFL GM’s can see that. I could be wrong and maybe one team will fall in love but I almost feel like Bo Nix will go ahead of JJ McCarthy 

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

2nd Round

Love the philosophy.   Take advantage of the strength of this draft.   If Worthy were in next years draft he would be the second WR off the board(after Egbuka) and maybe a top 12 pick.    And it's not like Worthy is coming from nowhere he was tracking as a mid first in this draft for the past 2 years.

And Amegadjie is a first rounder A LOT of years.    

That is how you use the early portions of the draft..........two premium position players who could be worth $30M+ on the open market at the end of their contracts.    Not saying it's "likely" but it's conceivable if they play to their potential.  

A safety or a 1 tech DT isn't going to be that big $ value guy and this draft isn't very good at those positions.   Historically, there is a tendency for lesser players to get pushed up the board in years where there is weakness at a position.   Reaching for low ceiling, non-premium positions early in the draft is how you end up with a roster like Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey inherited.

Now in terms of execution.........as much as I love Worthy as a prospect they are still going to need some size at WR later in this draft if this is the route they go.   In the playoffs the refs put away their flags and speedy receivers like Worthy and undersized pass rusher like Ed Oliver tend to get tied up by handsy defenders.   Power gains back it's edge in January/February.    I've been warming up a lot more to @GunnerBill favorite Xavier Legette for this reason.   He has the physicality to yank Jalen Ramsey by the face mask in-route and then catch the ball and score like Tee Higgins versus the Rams.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

I haven't watched anything if the Yale kid. It is hard to find much film on him so I have accepted he won't be on my board because I'd be guessing. The bits of things I have seen and read I like - he is a relentless to the whistle blocker which is a major positive. 

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The OT pick? That's a rough one. I get the value. I just don't think the brass is willing to give up on Spencer Brown after last year.

You can draft players before they are gaping holes on your roster and the starter walks in FA.

I know that’s an unusual Bills perspective

Legette is my 1st choice at 28 if Thomas is gone. He just pops on the field. But I wouldn’t be overly upset with the prospect of Worthy, who is a wr, not just a burner. Tackle at 60 makes sense from a depth of talent in this draft perspective, but I’d personally rather get a guy who will have a good shot to see the field year one in round 2. 

This is our most important draft in years, as we likely need 2-3 starters from it. I'd be furious if we draft the next Mecole Hardman in the 1st round.

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

You can draft players before they are gaping holes on your roster and the starter walks in FA.

I know that’s an unusual Bills perspective

Yeah and I'd expect us to take one later as insurance.

But when you have a number of positions where you need players that will start, compete to start, or be used often in rotation and you pick 28 and 60 and then don't pick again until 128 - you can't afford to use a premium pick on a BPA that's simply FA insurance for next year and depth.

Like I said, unless you're pretty sure you're moving on from Brown, you're using a premium pick on someone who's ceiling is Swing Tackle if Dawkins and Brown are locked up long term.

You use the first two Rounds for "gaping holes". Insurance, depth, and development is for the mid Rounds. Beane's done a good job filling holes but we're not at a point where we can just go BPA and ignore the holes left in Round 1 and Round 2, especially since we don't have another pick until the end of Round 4.

Wouldn’t hate it position wise. Solidifying the offensive line and getting more weapons, long term growth, plus depth at WR would solidify the offense and I think McD could work the mid and late rounds to add to the defense. 

I am not as clued into the specific prospects just looking the positions.

Edited by billsfan89

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't watched anything if the Yale kid. It is hard to find much film on him so I have accepted he won't be on my board because I'd be guessing. The bits of things I have seen and read I like - he is a relentless to the whistle blocker which is a major positive. 

You still on the "draft Dion's replacement" bandwagon?   He had a good year last year so he got the extension but paying him doesn't change the fact that he had been trending toward needing to move inside for some time prior to last year.    I've seen plenty of veteran players have an unexpectedly good year and then suddenly things take a turn for the worse.    The iron is hot for OT prospects in this draft.   

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You still on the "draft Dion's replacement" bandwagon?   He had a good year last year so he got the extension but paying him doesn't change the fact that he had been trending toward needing to move inside for some time prior to last year.    I've seen plenty of veteran players have an unexpectedly good year and then suddenly things take a turn for the worse.    The iron is hot for OT prospects in this draft.   

I wouldn't turn it down if the opportunity presented itself. Still think Dion at LG to extend his career is a viable option. He did have one of his best years in 2023. I understood the extension.  But it shouldnt be considered a slam dunk that he is as good next year.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

No offense, I hope you're wrong on both picks.

I mean the chances of me being right on one let alone both picks is highly unlikely even the best mockers in the world only get a handful of picks right in the first round let alone later in the draft. I will say I do a full 7 rounder more for fun and I can say that my latest pick ever being correct was Anthony Hill TE NC State who went to the Texans in round 4 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Love the philosophy.   Take advantage of the strength of this draft.   If Worthy were in next years draft he would be the second WR off the board(after Egbuka) and maybe a top 12 pick.    And it's not like Worthy is coming from nowhere he was tracking as a mid first in this draft for the past 2 years.

And Amegadjie is a first rounder A LOT of years.    

That is how you use the early portions of the draft..........two premium position players who could be worth $30M+ on the open market at the end of their contracts.    Not saying it's "likely" but it's conceivable if they play to their potential.  

A safety or a 1 tech DT isn't going to be that big $ value guy and this draft isn't very good at those positions.   Historically, there is a tendency for lesser players to get pushed up the board in years where there is weakness at a position.   Reaching for low ceiling, non-premium positions early in the draft is how you end up with a roster like Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey inherited.

Now in terms of execution.........as much as I love Worthy as a prospect they are still going to need some size at WR later in this draft if this is the route they go.   In the playoffs the refs put away their flags and speedy receivers like Worthy and undersized pass rusher like Ed Oliver tend to get tied up by handsy defenders.   Power gains back it's edge in January/February.    I've been warming up a lot more to @GunnerBill favorite Xavier Legette for this reason.   He has the physicality to yank Jalen Ramsey by the face mask in-route and then catch the ball and score like Tee Higgins versus the Rams.  

Great post.  💯 

And the bolded is rarely talked about in the offseason……speed, explosiveness, vertical.  That’s what we talk about in March and April.  And then the January cold comes around and physicality often rules.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1