Aaron Donald has announced his retirement

Makes some sense, he's still obviously really good, but here lately it just hasn't felt like he's been that same year to year DPY dominant player he's used to being. Not a bad decision to go out on top before you start to have the inevitable decline.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

1st ballot Hall of Famer and the most dominant player I've ever witnessed.  

Definite 1st ballot HOF and one of the most dominant players on defense I ever witnessed. Between White, Smith, LT, Lewis to name a few that I watched as well. It would be a good discussion for fans who was the most dominant defensive player they watched in their lifetime.

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All that Tre money is allocated to the draftees.

$$ needed for draft picks typically is $3-$4 million.  Remember top 52, or so, only count towards the cap

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Brady was going to play for the Dolphins or Raiders the past 2 seasons. It must work some way 

There was a wildly convoluted plan in order to make that actually happened, which included Brady originally joining the Dolphins as a Front Office hire, and then negotiating his own trade from Tampa Bay to Miami, before he could take the field as a player.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There was a wildly convoluted plan in order to make that actually happened, which included Brady originally joining the Dolphins as a Front Office hire, and then negotiating his own trade from Tampa Bay to Miami, before he could take the field as a player.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

"The Kansas City Chiefs announce new 1/10000th part owner Aaron Donald!"

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Definite 1st ballot HOF and one of the most dominant players on defense I ever witnessed. Between White, Smith, LT, Lewis to name a few that I watched as well. It would be a good discussion for fans who was the most dominant defensive player they watched in their lifetime.

Peter Schrager asked Bill Parcells "If you had the chance to start your NFL team with any player you've ever seen, coached, coached against who would be that one player in NFL history you'd start your team with?"

Parcells response: 

"There are priority positions in this game, quarterback is one of those, so I consider that," Parcells began. "But if you're pinning me down -- I'm a little prejudiced -- I think I'd take Lawrence Taylor."

Coach Billicheat:  

"I would just say I wouldn't put anybody ahead of Lawrence Taylor, period," said Belichick. 

"Maybe I'm prejudiced, he continued. "but I saw that guy every day for over a decade and he tilted the field for a decade. Until somebody does that, and there's a lot of great players. I'm not taking anything away from anybody else. There's a lot of great players that have been in this league, that are in this league, but personally, I'm not putting anybody ahead of Lawrence Taylor. Not yet." 

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

They just restructured him too

I googled that to double check and the very first thing that came up was this article from Sports Illustrated. It was written/released 1 hour ago. Talk about a guy getting it wrong. Sheesh. 

Back to the plus side, the restructure essentially confirms that Donald will indeed be back for 2024

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald-contract-restructure-salary-cap#:~:text=However%2C freeing up cap space,indeed be back for 2024.

29 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i wonder why.....could probably play another couple years

He's made over $150M in 10 years and is 32 years old. Get out while the getting is good and he can still enjoy the rest of his life.

23 minutes ago, noacls said:

Donald was good but some of the names he has been  mentioned with, not even close. JJ Watt was better

JJ Watt, unlike Donald, stole max contract money from his teams for about 6 seasons when he could not stay on the field and after he was no longer dominant. 

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

I googled that to double check and the very first thing that came up was this article from Sports Illustrated. It was written/released 1 hour ago. Talk about a guy getting it wrong. Sheesh. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald-contract-restructure-salary-cap#:~:text=However%2C freeing up cap space,indeed be back for 2024.

I mean, I am not complaining about a team that we are going to need to play taking an incredible cap hit for no player but maaaan that is a dick move on the way out.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, I am not complaining about a team that we are going to need to play taking an incredible cap hit for no player but maaaan that is a dick move on the way out.

The team HAD to know it was coming and were ok with it. Otherwise, this is a huge move by a player to screw over his career team on his way out and would be a hilariously bad look for the Rams.

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

So weird. What went on here? I believe most contracts have restructure language pre-built in so it isn't something they likely needed to discuss with him. 

There have been some rumored trade speculation around Donald the last few years. Nothing saying he has requested one, but it has definitely been a topic on most sports shows. Curious if he wanted one last go at a ring this year and the restructure guaranteed that he could not be moved so he called it quits. 

Trouble wrapping my head around this. Something must have happened internally.