Plans at WR?

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Marquise Brown is a Buffalo Bill.

That would be great! draft one in the second round too as our first pick is D so we can actually stop another offense when it counts.

People are complaining about a lack of "elite" talent on the Bills and then turn around and want to replace Davis with a retread. No, just No! I don't want to waste a single cap $ on any FA WRs.  We have Diggs and with the development of Shakir, Cook and Kincaid, plus a healthy Knox, the 2nd boundary receiver might be Josh's 6th most popular target.  Why waste cap $ there?  Get a couple WRs in the draft; one early and one late, and let the chips fall where they may.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Agree 2

The talk on WGR has shifted heavily to big trade based on Sal bringing it up earlier.

I don’t think it’s based on anything other than vibes, lack of WR2, aggressive clearing of cap space and Beane’s tendencies.. but I think the need for elite pieces vs solid depth is gaining some traction.. at least in terms of a growing sense of what the Bills may be missing as we keep coming up short. 

4 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Can't help but wonder if Justin Jefferson will want to stay with the Vikings while waiting for a new quarterback to develop or the likes of Fields

I can't see Bears trading in division. Fields to Denver could work.

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Thoughts or perspective on Beane’s approach?

Not sure why we needed another thread on this...but the plan is the same as its been all offseason.  Let Gabe walk, and target WR help in what is one of the deepest and riches drafts at WR for as long as I can remember.  

We will 100% be taking a WR early (round 1 or 2) and then likely double up somewhere on day 3.  They will still sign a bargain vet at some point before the draft as well.  

Who ever we take early is going to start opposite Diggs this year with the hope he can develop into the heir to Diggs as WR1 as well.  Shakir has alredy showed he can big a quality WR for us to build around as well and then we still have weapons like Kincaid, Cook, and Knox.  

The offense is good shape and will be in very good shape post draft.  

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see Bears trading in division. Fields to Denver could work.

I don't see the Broncos offering draft capital for an unproven QB especially since all their best picks go to Seattle. I can see them suffering through a season of Ryan Tannehill or Andy Dalton 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think Marquise Brown is a Buffalo Bill.

I highly doubt it.  He is the 2nd best FA WR left behind Ridley.  Beane isn't paying a small WR double digits before a WR rich draft where we have 11 picks to move around to get a stud prospect.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I highly doubt it.  He is the 2nd best FA WR left behind Ridley.  Beane isn't paying a small WR double digits before a WR rich draft where we have 11 picks to move around to get a stud prospect.  

Sounds like the Bills don’t want to spend wr2 on a wr2. They are all in to draft a WR? 

3 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With Harty released and now Gabe signing with the Jags, what is the strategy/approach for WR? Are we going dumpster diving in Free Agency and then hoping we hit in the draft at WR?

Our current roster is Diggs, Shakir, Sherfield and Shorter (inactive all season). Currently not scaring anyone and probably in the bottom 10 as a WR group.

Anyone else uncomfortable? That’s a lot of pressure to hit on WR that is impactful in the draft! Do we trade up? 

Take Out The Trash GIF by CBC

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sounds like the Bills don’t want to spend wr2 on a wr2. They are all in to draft a WR? 

Yeah, I do not at all expect us to pay WR2 money...they are going to draft a WR2 who has the potential to emerge as a WR1 to take over for Diggs in a year or two.  I also think they take a 2nd WR to develop as well as a potential future WR2 (like they did when they took Davis) on day 3.  

The obvious plan is to get younger at WR.  They are targeting a WR in round 1 and will likely move up to get him.  They may sign a FA or two for camp competition, but otherwise, no major FA signings at WR should be expected.  

If I were Bean I’d be taking a WR in the 1st and either a pass catching RB in the 4th or 5th and a WR in the other round.  Right now the team is as good as it finished last year receiver wise, and they really didn’t struggle to score down the stretch.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Why would anyone or the team be uncomfortable? Trust me, they aren't going into the season with only those options at WR

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Not really.

First off you're leaving out Kincaid, he had 73 receptions this year.  If he does that again in 2024, he'd be viewed as one of the top 5 or so TE's in the league.  This past season he was ranked 7th.   That's like having another WR out here.  Knox as the #2 TE is also better than most teams can roll out and cook isn't bad either.

I read an article a couple weeks back was talking about Shakir and what he could do next season.  While it wasn't implying he was as good as Beasley, the article made the point that just like about 4 years ago, the top two Bills WR were Brown and Beasley out of the slot.  Point being the 2nd best WR on the team could be the slot guy.   Bill's used to have a guy Andre something that was pretty good out of the slot!  There wasn't a great TE on the team either 4 years ago when Beasley was at his best.

There's only one ball to go around.  Say the Bills signed T Higgins who's averaged around 70 receptions a full season.  He may have 70 catches for the Bills too, but doesn't mean as as team they'll be 70 more reception.  Most likely means the reception totals for others will go down.

Maybe it's not a coincidence that Diggs numbers dropped around the same time that Kincaid and Shakir came on strong.

Draft a WR high and bring in a mid tier guy and there's enough guys to go around to catch all the passes Allen throws.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

not having that 3rd hurts a bit. We’d need to do  28, 60 and a 2nd next year to move up somewhat high

I’d honestly hope they hold on to 60… do 28, 133, 159 and a 1st & 4th next year to get to the early/mid-teens. 

Don’t think that gets it done though.

Seen teams accept less though lol

Edited by BBFL
  • Haha (+1) 1

Seems like all the big money guys from the Bills have either restructured or have agreed to take a lil less to help the team. Nothing from Diggs though. Which concerns me. Do they not want to upset him? Are they pretty much chalking this up as his last year before they move on. 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon we’ll have signed one of the starting calibur UFA’s or acquired one via trade

I'm not sure what Sutton's salary is, but I'd rather trade a mid-round pick with Denver, than sign one of the UFAs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not sure what Sutton's salary is, but I'd rather trade a mid-round pick with Denver, than sign one of the UFAs.

Sutton has a 17 mil hit, but 13+ mil base. Acquiring team can immediately convert to bring cap hit under 4 mil for 2024

I’d offer a 4th & 7th 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sutton has a 17 mil hit, but 13+ mil base. Acquiring team can immediately convert to bring cap hit under 4 mil for 2024

I’d offer a 4th & 7th 

Financials aside, are we sure Sutton is even available anymore? Prevailing feeling was that they'd trade away either Jeudy or Sutton, not both.

After trading away Jeudy, I'm not convinced they want to leave the cupboard completely bare for the Rookie QB they'll be Drafting.

Looking up Courtland Sutton on Google and Twitter, I'm not seeing anything about Denver shopping him. Just fans of other teams assuming they're completely selling off their assets.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

The Bills signed several WRs to reserve futures contracts, including Tyrell Shavers and Andy Isabella.  Shavers was a UDFA of the Bills a years ago.  His measurables are a lot like those of Justin Shorter's.  Isabella is a little bigger version of Harty.  Buffalo needs to sign free agents at several positions.  Safety is a prime position for a free agent addition since there are a bunch of good ones in the market even after a couple were signed today.  The WR market isn't as good.  The WR draft class is excellent.  I'd love for Buffalo to sign top notch free agents at all positions of need, but that's just not realistic given the cap restrictions.  I think Buffalo will take a chance on the draft being enough to address WR this off season.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, I do not at all expect us to pay WR2 money...they are going to draft a WR2 who has the potential to emerge as a WR1 to take over for Diggs in a year or two.  I also think they take a 2nd WR to develop as well as a potential future WR2 (like they did when they took Davis) on day 3.  

Agreed. Big time options like Hollywood Brown or Calvin Ridley aren't signing here without assurances they're starting. And if we're paying for a big option like them or a Trade for someone like Courtland Sutton, in the situation we're in this year - that 1st Round Pick would have to go to another position.

I'd rather have one of the top 7 guys in the Draft and a cheaper vet option than an expensive vet option and Mid to Late Round options in the Draft.

Draft Brian Thomas Jr and maybe a 3rd/4th round WR to add to the mix also.  Sign another bargain FA for competition.

19 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

We also have Hamler