Bills Cap Status - Approx $4.25 under cap 4/03/2024 (added roster change summary)

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They still got a number of guys back … and may not be finished yet re-signing people 

Obviously this is the tightest year for Beane to date…and most of the other teams got a late “windfall “  with the increased cap…so there is more money to throw around this year …

Maybe previously loyal guys that have been here a while  like Dodson and Jackson get given a “ depth” number that could be a fallback if they don’t get another gig… but both of them got starter money elsewhere … Maybe Neal just got more money from Miami.. 

No doubt one year only  guys like Sherfield  and Poona Ford only get “good luck “ on their way out the door …

All true.  Seems like they brought back more of the guys with expired contracts more quickly too than in prior years.  Makes me wonder if Beane had more a hard list this year.  These are the guys we want, and told the others more straight up, you're not in our plans so they quickly moved on?? 

The one name out there that fits priors years mold is Hyde.  Does make me wonder a bit if either he told his agent not to shop him as is leaning towards retiring or did the Bills give him a number and he's looking around to see if he can do better elsewhere, if not will be back?  That was more typical of how things went in prior years, a couple weeks after FA started, the player came back and signed.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Don't forget the Bills clear another 10 mill on 6/1 when White is officially released.

I know this was explained but I forget. What's the point of a 6/1 release for White versus 2 weeks ago when it was announced 

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

I know this was explained but I forget. What's the point of a 6/1 release for White versus 2 weeks ago when it was announced 

When you cut a player like White who has multiple years left on his contract..........

Cutting before June 1st means all the dead cap from all the remaining years is applied to this season.

Cutting after June 1st means only this year's dead cap is applied, and the rest goes on to next year's dead cap.

Boils down to Beane having some more money for this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

BREAKING we have a Diggs Tweet LOL 

3/10 not cryptic enough and too positive. I need to panic

4 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

The bills get a little bit more total this year, and that amount is enough to sign out draft picks and have a bit more left over for in season street free agent acquisitions

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Diggs needs to get his stuff together and look forward to playing well his last season in Buffalo.

He most likely will be auditioning for his next team and new contract in 2025.

Holy crap he spent four seconds tweeting.  At least he still has pants.

10 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Breaking we have Dion Dawkins extension details:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/dion-dawkins-21805/

Saves about §6M this year.

Cap hits:

2024 - $11.5M

2025 - $20M

2026 - $23M

2027 - $23M

+ 2 void years with total dead cap of $4.6M

Wow this is more than I was expecting 

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Wow this is more than I was expecting 

If you are talking about the cap savings  being  more than expected … then I assume this is how they have squeezed in Samuels deal without reworking anyone else …

According to Greg Thomsett yesterday … they are on the cap limit after that .. so they will need to start pulling further levers to get more guys signed …

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If you are talking about the cap savings  being  more than expected … then I assume this is how they have squeezed in Samuels deal without reworking anyone else …

According to Greg Thomsett yesterday … they are on the cap limit after that .. so they will need to start pulling further levers to get more guys signed …

I was actually referring to the cap hits over the next three years. Its a big chunk of change, but he is a good player and the anchor on the OL. Let’s hope his health and level of production stay steady. At almost 30 with another 4 years pretty much invested in him, he’s out guy. 

I think he’s earned it but was just taken aback a bit by the cap hit distribution.

actually on further review it looks like they could get out of it after 2026 relatively cheap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/dion-dawkins-21805/

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills will regret not doing a full restructure of Josh's contract.  Not sure who made that decision or whether it was due to owner implemented spending constraints, but we are going to need that flexibility.

• Disagree 2

24 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I think the Bills will regret not doing a full restructure of Josh's contract.  Not sure who made that decision or whether it was due to owner implemented spending constraints, but we are going to need that flexibility.

We’re going to need that flexibility every year.  This allows a little more flexibility down the road. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Yes, but given our cap situation this year, isn't this when we really needed it?  Our cap situation is better in future years (at least at this point).  No idea if the Bills have any real interest in trading Diggs this year, but the extra cap space would at least give them the flexibility to do so.

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Bills Cap Status - See update 1st post - Bills currently $6.5 - $12.4 underr cap 3/16/2024 8:11 AM
22 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Door #1  - TRADE

Door #2 -  Restructure

Door #3 -  His fashion line  

If Diggs is moved I think it will be post June 1. We get $19M for this season and $5M for 2025. BUT!!!  That $19M can be rolled over if we don't sign any expensive vets twisting around out there. A post June 1 trade with minimal 2024 spend would mean we could roll most of that $19M over to 2025 ultimately giving us $25M extra next year. It would go a long way in extending Taron, Rousseau, Brown, and Douglas. 

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The cap is just a suggestion. Like the speed limit😎🤪

To continue that analogy.  At  end of the road you will have to even up meaning at some point you will have to pull over and wait for the time to elapse to get to the finish line if you ever want to get back to even.  If you are going 6000 miles and the speed limit is 60MPH it will take you 100 hours.  So you can go 120 for the fist 50’hours but then you have to wait.   I this analogy time  is total cap over years and it assumes there is an end to it where everyone has to be even.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH

52 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

To continue that analogy.  At  end of the road you will have to even up meaning at some point you will have to pull over and wait for the time to elapse to get to the finish line if you ever want to get back to even.  If you are going 6000 miles and the speed limit is 60MPH it will take you 100 hours.  So you can go 120 for the fist 50’hours but then you have to wait.   I this analogy time  is total cap over years and it assumes there is an end to it where everyone has to be even.  

If you time it right.. you can eat a big dead cap year in a year where you draft a rookie QB .. or eat the dead cap the year after you move off your Franchise QB, be terrible, and then have a ton of cap and a high draft pick to rebuild. 

The Bills, Chiefs, Bengals etc won’t likely be dealing with the end of the road portion until Mahomes, Allen and Burrow are gone. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Bills Cap Status - See update 1st post - Bills currently $6.5 - $12.4 under cap 3/16/2024 8:11 AM
19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

$17.2 million cap space. Probably doesn’t include recent deals. 

Yeah that doesn’t include the signings of Samuel, Jones, Johnson, Morrow, Hollins.  So it’s probably half that if not a little less 

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah that doesn’t include the signings of Samuel, Jones, Johnson, Morrow, Hollins.  So it’s probably half that if not a little less 

Also doesn’t include $8 million they left on the table with Josh to use in future years. Still boggles my mind, but I’ll get over it. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Also doesn’t include $8 million they left on the table with Josh to use in future years. Still boggles my mind, but I’ll get over it. 

must be putting that towards the Miller Knox and Diggs redundancy plan in 2025

47 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Doesn’t include about 6 if their new signings … so let’s see how it looks when they get added in 

Exactly. It's nowhere close to that. It doesn't factor in Samuel, Jones, Hollins, Morrow, or Johnson. Even if the latter 3 are league minimum and Samuel and Jones have low cap hits in Year 1 - those signings are still going to account for 50-75% of that number.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$17.2 million cap space. Probably doesn’t include recent deals. 

Sportrac is updated and has the same numbers right now.

It includes Knox's cap hit lowered from $14.3M to $7.7M, and also (surprisingly) Douglas' cap hit lowered to $3.3M - it seems that they agreed to different restructure than reported before, now he has more dead cap in void years too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

It obviously doesn't include Morrow, Hollins, Jones, Samuel and Johnson. My guess is that they will combine for ~$15M minus $4M they will replace. So if everything is correct, we should have about $6M cap space right now.

However, Sportrac has something obviously wrong imo, since it shows current contracts as total of $218M but if you count them its only $215M.

Edited by No_Matter_What

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sportrac is updated and has the same numbers right now.

It includes Knox's cap hit lowered from $14.3M to $7.7M, and also (surprisingly) Douglas' cap hit lowered to $3.3M - it seems that they agreed to different restructure than reported before, now he has more dead cap in void years too.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

It obviously doesn't include Morrow, Hollins, Jones, Samuel and Johnson. My guess is that they will combine for ~$15M minus $4M they will replace. So if everything is correct, we should have about $6M cap space right now.

However, Sportrac has something obviously wrong imo, since it shows current contracts as total of $218M but if you count them its only $215M.

Sounds about right. OTC shows $10 million and Spotrac is now at $11.1 million. Both seem to have everything now except Ty Johnson (who will be a minimal hit compared to the 51st guy he replaces) and Curtis Samuel. At 3 years $24 million Samuel's first year is probably around $4 - $5 million. So $6M-ish sounds good.

I have updated the OP to reflect all the updates except Johnson and Samuel.   They have us at 11.15 in cap as mentioned up thread.  Great catch, by the way, on the change in Douglas’ contract.  I was wonder where the extra $3 million came from.  

Beane has got a lot more done this season than I expected.  Need a great draft.

I was thinking he would be high on signing someone after June 1st, but if the roster is looking good at that point he may just

roll over some of that money to offset the big dead cap for Von Miller (and Diggs?) coming due next spring.

• Like (+1) 2

Out of curiosity, why would you all say that you are worrying about a specific number when they could dig up another $50M or more of immediate space if they REALLY needed to and could sign the most expensive free agent left on the market for $5M or less cap hit in 2024?    Is that not understood?

I suspect it is related to the phenomenon of fans believing that ownership/management that they are satisfied with are of the same mind as them so knowing this very malleable number gives you a clear idea of exactly what they will do with it.    Which is a futile exercise for a number of reasons. :lol:   But are McBeane still in enough of a honeymoon phase with fans that this is still the case?    It seems like they've had to have made enough unexpected turns that didn't pan out at this point that after 7 years you'd understand that you aren't of one mind with them.

I'm very happy Beane extended Taron Johnson.  The guy has earned the extension.

From a cap standpoint, Spotrac has the Bills 11.5 to the good before factoring in Ty Johnson, Samuel, Taron Johnson and about $2 million (or less) for the draft picks.  I'm going to assume for arguments sake that Samuel's cap hit will be similar to DaQuan Jones' (4.5  to 5) and that the cap savings from Taron's extension will cover most of that cap hit.  That probably leaves the Bills with 7-8 million in available cap after factoring in the draft picks, Taron, Ty and Samuel.

Sounds like enough money to add another starting Safety.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Curtis Samuel contract is officially in. 3.98 in Year 1. Brings us to 7.98 without accounting for Ty Johnson. Ty probably takes us down to around 6.9. Now we wait to see how much Taron saves. Early projections have it being around 4.1. Guessing that brings us to around 11.6m under, give or take.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1