What realistic Free Agents are on your wishlist for the Bills?

Logic

I think they sign a safety. I think safeties fall in tiers. All my opinions...

Best Fits who will be expensive:

Kamren Curl

Xavier McKinney

These guys are both great fits for what we do in terms of scheme. Curl played in Ron Rivera's defense, and McKinney played a ton as a single high and 2 high safety guy. McKinney is my favorite and reminds me most of Hyde. He can play all over the secondary and has incredible instincts. Curl has similar traits. 

Box safety will be expensive: 

Kyle Dugger

They loved him pre-draft, and I could see them going down that well again. He is very versatile but hasn't been used in New England much as a high safety. He is also about to turn 28 and will be expensive, so I am not sure how young they are getting at safety here as compared to Curl and McKinney who are turning 25 soon. 

Solid Realistic add: 

Geno Stone...OP did a great job with the description, so I won't add, but I think Stone makes a ton of sense. 

Older Playmaker just released and is realistic: 

Eddie Jackson. I think he is a great fit for what we do defensively. There would be no dropoff from Hyde, the only question would be injury stuff. 

Young guy who would be cheap and potentially interesting: 

Ashtyn Davis - was drafted for Gregg Williams Tampa 2 style defense, after Saleh came in Davis became an afterthought. 

Jeremy Chinn -  is more of a box, big nickel guy who hasn't had much of a chance to play safety. 

Corner conversions:

CJ Henderson

Kristian Fulton

Both these guys were pretty high pedigree corners, who, for whatever reason seemed to flame out. I think they could consider a move to safety rather than toiling as a backup corner on someone's depth chart. 

Ultimately, they probably just re-sign Taylor Rapp. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Surprised OBJ hasn’t appeared on anybody’s list.  He’d probably come cheap on a 1 year deal and probably still has something left as a deep ball threat. 

last year I wanted him. He was mostly a non-factor for Ravens. Not interested. His attitude and antics aren’t worth it anymore

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gibson would be great! Don't forget Beane made an offer/signed McCissik (sp?) last year but he renegged and went to Washington. Brady likes to run the ball. I think we go for a RB for sure! I love Ty Johnson but I think Brady wants more.

On 2/28/2024 at 1:42 PM, Logic said:

Now that free agency is getting closer and we're starting to have a better idea of who will actually hit the market, and now that we know the salary cap number for 2024, I'm starting to look a little closer at the list of free agents to be. 

A few names I like below, and I'm curious to hear who you like, and why (bonus points for what you think they'll cost).

FS Geno Stone (Spotrac projects $7.2 million per season)
Started 11 games for the Ravens last year and led the league in interceptions by a safety with 7. Not gonna blow you away with athletic ability or speed, but is a very smart and heady player. Brandon Beane was just saying at the combine that smarts are the most important trait for them at safety, and Stone has the look of a guy who can be the new Micah Hyde, leading the secondary and patrolling the deep field. Shouldn't break the bank. 26 years old. Best football is ahead of him.

RB JK Dobbins (Spotrac projects $2.1 million per season)
This would purely be a cheap deal, low on guarantees, to see if Dobbins can rehabilitate his career. A former 2nd round pick who was extremely productive in college, but is coming off of a slew of serious injuries. I wouldn't want to depend on him as "the" answer at RB2, but he'd be a low risk, high reward signing and, if he can stay healthy, could prove to be a dynamic pairing with James Cook.

RB Antonio Gibson (Spotrac projects $3.6 million per season)
Has averaged over 800 yards rushing and 300 yards receiving per year throughout his career. Has plus receiving ability. 26 years old. In addition to being a good pairing with Cook, Gibson has shown the ability to be a capable RB1 when needed. Despite an already fairly productive career as a receiver, I feel he still has some untapped potential there, given that he was a productive WR in college.

WR Darnell Mooney (Spotrac projects $10.4 million per season)
Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott spent their recent combine pressers talking about adding explosive plays to the offense. Mooney would help add a speed element that this offense has been sorely lacking. He is just 26 years old and is two seasons removed from a 1,000 yard receiving season. Has deep speed and can take the top off a defense, opening things up for Diggs, Kincaid, and Shakir underneath. 

**Note I don't want to sign both Dobbins AND Gibson, but I like both guys for different reasons, and would be happy to see either sign with Buffalo.

Dont really like any of them. This is the caliber of player they will be looking at though.  I dont see anything with Mooney.  Gibson fumbles and is not really a compliment to Cook as they play similar ways.  Gibson is a converted Wr.  A solid vet wr and rb are on the radar just not a fan of either. 

Take a flyer on Chark.  If a vet is cut maybe bring them in on a cheap ring chase deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kamren Curl

Xavier McKinney

These guys are both great fits for what we do in terms of scheme. Curl played in Ron Rivera's defense, and McKinney played a ton as a single high and 2 high safety guy. McKinney is my favorite and reminds me most of Hyde. He can play all over the secondary and has incredible instincts. Curl has similar traits. 

Box safety will be expensive: 

Kyle Dugger

They loved him pre-draft, and I could see them going down that well again. He is very versatile but hasn't been used in New England much as a high safety. He is also about to turn 28 and will be expensive, so I am not sure how young they are getting at safety here as compared to Curl and McKinney who are turning 25 soon. 

Solid Realistic add: 

Geno Stone...OP did a great job with the description, so I won't add, but I think Stone makes a ton of sense. 

Older Playmaker just released and is realistic: 

Eddie Jackson. I think he is a great fit for what we do defensively. There would be no dropoff from Hyde, the only question would be injury stuff. 

Young guy who would be cheap and potentially interesting: 

Ashtyn Davis - was drafted for Gregg Williams Tampa 2 style defense, after Saleh came in Davis became an afterthought. 

Jeremy Chinn -  is more of a box, big nickel guy who hasn't had much of a chance to play safety. 

Corner conversions:

CJ Henderson

Kristian Fulton

Both these guys were pretty high pedigree corners, who, for whatever reason seemed to flame out. I think they could consider a move to safety rather than toiling as a backup corner on someone's depth chart. 

Ultimately, they probably just re-sign Taylor Rapp. 

Dugger would be sweet. friend of mine played opposite him in college @ lenoir

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Mooney on the cheap (4-5 million) is a great target I think he would fill in for Harty well and a top 4 WR group of Diggs, Shakir, Mooney and a 1st round rookie with Shorter and another low end vet rounding out the top 6 is a good place to be. 

Justin Blackmon at safety also would be a nice lower mid level add. Had a great rookie year in 2020 and a great 2023. I think pairing him up with Poyer at safety and drafting a mid round safety to develop could help short and long term as Blackmon is only 26. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kamren Curl

Kam Curl is expected to get $15M+ AAV.

I mean, I would love him too, but that's a pipe dream.

• Shocked 1

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Mooney on the cheap (4-5 million) is a great target I think he would fill in for Harty well and a top 4 WR group of Diggs, Shakir, Mooney and a 1st round rookie with Shorter and another low end vet rounding out the top 6 is a good place to be. 

Justin Blackmon at safety also would be a nice lower mid level add. Had a great rookie year in 2020 and a great 2023. I think pairing him up with Poyer at safety and drafting a mid round safety to develop could help short and long term as Blackmon is only 26. 

Why would people expect Shorter to be better than the practice squad wide receivers on the 31 other teams? It seems to me there is a large pool of similar talent.   

18 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

last year I wanted him. He was mostly a non-factor for Ravens. Not interested. His attitude and antics aren’t worth it anymore

Anymore?  The shine is off the object?

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'm trying to be realistic. I think we'll go after guys like RB Gus Edwards (810 yards/13 TD) who wont command top dollar, S Xavier McKinney is another although he might be a bit too pricey.

Alexander Mattison is about to be released by the Vikings. I've always liked him as a #2 back. He's not fit for the lead role but can fill in if Cook misses a week. Plus being a release, he wouldn't count against any possible comp pick formula and should be pretty inexpensive. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Being as far over as we are,I can't really think of any FA's worth anything to bring in.

I need to see the cap room first. 

I don't think we are going to see a "final product" of cap space before FA starts. I get the impression that this year especially, Beane isn't going to make moves on restructuring contracts until he has to. So more of a "I want this guy so I'll rework this deal" pay as you kinda thing. He'll I'm sure do the work to get back to even and even have a small bit readily available. But as far as seeing a grand total big number I don't think that happens.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Why would people expect Shorter to be better than the practice squad wide receivers on the 31 other teams? It seems to me there is a large pool of similar talent.   

Because Shorter was the top WR of his class coming out of high school so he's realistically a better talent than most other guys out there. Granted he may never have developed to his full potential in college and as a result may not in the NFL either. Only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Because Shorter was the top WR of his class coming out of high school so he's realistically a better talent than most other guys out there. Granted he may never have developed to his full potential in college and as a result may not in the NFL either. Only time will tell. 

He spent a year on the practice squad and no one poached him for his high school results. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Shorter is a kick-the-tires type of talent in my opinion. He was a mid-round pick who has a really impressive physical profile. He's 6 foot 4 and runs a 4.55 40 time at 229 pounds. His RAS was a solid 7.92. I think asking him to compete for the WR 5-6 spot is reasonable. He also is projected to be able to play special teams which if he shows to be good at special teams may help him develop a niche as the Bills tend to like to have that WR5/6 spot have a special teams player (Sherfield this year, Kummerow the few years before that). With effectively a red-shirt year to learn the playbook, learn the system and work on somethings before he got on IR it will only prove to likely help him develop. 

Could the Bills draft a WR in rounds 3-5 as well as bring in a more established ST vet talent and have Shorter pushed off the roster? Very possible but I think they drafted Shorter for a reason and he will be given a legit shot to be in the WR room. 

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He spent a year on the practice squad and no one poached him for his high school results. 

Actually he was not on the practice squad for most of the year. He was on IR until mid December. 

20 hours ago, QCity said:

Kam Curl is expected to get $15M+ AAV.

I mean, I would love him too, but that's a pipe dream.

Yeah I am not sure those guys in the expensive bracket are realistic, but wanted to present tiers. That salary is excessive for a safety, but I am interested to see what happens. I agree that this team will not be paying that. 

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

We talking about high school? Never mind he graduated in 2018 and has a ton of college tape since he played 5 years of college bowl. Man you should have seen uncle Rico throw the ball over the mountains. If only coach had put him in they could have been state champions. 

13 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We talking about high school? Never mind he graduated in 2018 and has a ton of college tape since he played 5 years of college bowl. Man you should have seen uncle Rico throw the ball over the mountains. If only coach had put him in they could have been state champions. 

Just look at the top list from the class, you'll see some NFL names and some no names. It happens all the time. https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool/

I'll throw Odell beckham in there.  I'd want any incoming rookie to have to earn snaps over the course of the year, and i expect speed to be a priority with our incoming rookie WR.  Odell isn't the fastest, but he's crafty, a good route runner, and he has good hands.  A lot of gabe davis snaps to replace, not to mention Harty/Sherfield.

I think there are better options, but for a budget option i think he can do well here in a rotational role. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

We just hired his former position coach from Tennessee a few weeks back. Would likely be out of the Bills price range but something to at least keep an ear out on.

This would be a very nice pick up. Depends on how much $ he is looking for. 

• Agree 1

I think they'll concentrate on Daquan, AJ, and David Edwards first. 

I think Shaq will be back again. Same role as 2023. Maybe he gets beat out by a Rookie. But at least he's decent insurance for that last DE spot. 

Then maybe one UFA around 10 million AAV... Of those I like Darnell Mooney or Sheldon Rankins. 

On the cheaper side I like Clelin Ferrell as a vet DE who should come cheap and was a decent rotation guy for the 49ers last year. He's not without upside and again, I think he'll be pretty cheap. 

I hope they at least talk to Jeremy Chinn and see if it's a possibility. I think that jack-of-all-trades-role he had in Carolina did him no favors. And there is upside with him. Maybe MCd can work some of that Safety magic with Chinn. 

Alohi Gilman seems to be a player on the rise and should not command a huge contract.

There's a lot more... The Cover 1 folks have done a bunch of videos already about bargain UFA's... I know Joe Marino is going position by position too. I do think there are plenty of UFA's to be had this year to fill the roster...even at budget pricing... B-)

• Haha (+1) 1

Finished listening to Joe Marino's breakdown of FA WR's to target.  The guy I like is DJ Chark, I wonder if a one year modest deal can work for him.  It would give him the opportunity to play in one of the best offenses vs what he was in (the worst) and earn a huge payday.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2024 at 8:41 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I am not sure those guys in the expensive bracket are realistic, but wanted to present tiers. That salary is excessive for a safety, but I am interested to see what happens. I agree that this team will not be paying that. 

Bills have proven they can get great value with the lower cost FA and late round safties.  I'd be shocked if they signed one of the big names or used even a day 2 pick on one. 

• Agree 1

I think they will sign some of their own back for the right price, 1 maybe 2 moderate signings and maybe 2 comp picks next year.   They will likely not go deep into the initial FA and I like that but can bargain shop later.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:36 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

We just hired his former position coach from Tennessee a few weeks back. Would likely be out of the Bills price range but something to at least keep an ear out on.

Old and slow to replace old and slow. No thanks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just thoughts off the top of my head...

Bills FAs ( priority) to sign:  Rapp, Edwards and AJE.

From elsewhere:  S   Geno Stone    + Poyer ...(If Poyer stays)

Jordan Fuller   + plus Rapp ( with having played together could give us the next Poyer/Hyde tandem.)

WR: Calvin Ridley

DL:  Fletcher Cox  I wouldn't bother (or bend over) to sign DQ or Phillips. Neither will ever play a full season. I'd take the over 5 missed games on both. Easy money.

Signing DQ to money that could be better spent would make me think of Starr. We need to build our own line. Now is the time for youth there.

ED: Hasson Reddick  ( I think Floyd will get a longer term deal elsewhere.)

Those are my FA thoughts to go with my (rough)draft wish list: Leggette, Burton and Walker  (Trade back a few spots, get an extra pick.)

Sweat, Fiske, M. Smith    ( the next Chris Jones?)

Ellis and/or Booker and Solomon

I don't have a favorite for Safety and RB should probably be UDFA.

My draft wish list may seem a bit unreal but there are at least a few teams with multiple picks in rd. 2.  I'd give up next year's 1st to get a pick in the 2nd for Sweat

and keeping 60.  I'd also package a couple of sixths and the 7th to move up.

I am all for Beane to use a pick from next year to help out especially since we're likely picking 27-32 again.

I would like to see Daquan Jones come back because he is a home boy from the area, I would also like to see Kyle Van Noy if he fits wha the Bills do & the Ravens don't bring him back i think he could be the AJ Klien this season .

As a side note lease cut Harty although he had 1 huge play last year i don;t believe he's worth the contract and the money could be better served some where else .

All I know is I don’t want them to resign Gabe, Jones, Settle, Ford, Epenesa. 

AJ will want too much and in our cap situation we can get the same out of a vet min guy. 

Ford did absolutely nothing all year

Settle did absolutely nothing for 2 years

Jones I like but not at the age or the amount they would need to pay him to come back. Would rather get 2 of the largest DTs in the draft and roll with it this season. 

Miller really screwed up our chances of being able to sign our own and now we’re really paying for it.