Multiple people shot at KC parade.

fasteddie

51 minutes ago, boyst said:

Also, final post here. 12+ hours after the issue. The perps haven't been named, the national story will be dropped in a few days, this will be forgotten quickly because of the narrative being false.

Still no suspects publicly named/identified, even though you would certainly think that there were plenty of EYEwitnesses who actually saw the shooters shooting their guns. The "official" word is that they have 3 suspects in custody and also have recovered some guns too.

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Mass shooters are cowards so they tend to choose targets where they will face no resistance. Parades have armed law enforcement officers posted everywhere so I'm not surprised that this is the first time.

Given early reports of there being 2 shooters in custody I'm inclined to think this was not a run of the mill random mass shooting. We'll see.

I agree 100% ! But this really doesn't surprise me in todays world which is truly sad . I hope they make examples of these to f n people .

But as it goes they will probably get 3 hots & a cot that we will have to pay for while they also go work out at the prison gym then take a sit in the hot sauna then go to the library and then a hot meal . Some kind of justice in that ...

What ever happened to a eye for a eye ??? Those 2 are just sick !!! 

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

More gun control is not to be taken seriously when it’s championed by those that vote for politicians who don’t enforce existing laws. 

What they advocate for is more gun control for mothers and fathers that want to protect their family. 

We have a society in decline and we are awash in guns.

Gun violence is a symptom of the deeper cause.  But no one wants to dig deeper because that would require actual introspection as a society and we’re conditioned to fix everything with band-aids. 

I just wanted to bump this because this was so well said.

No one wants to look into WHY gun culture is gun culture.  The 2nd Amendment has been around forever, but this raving need to own as many guns as possible (gun sales always go UP after media-publicized shootings) is a NEW thing.  In the 80s and 90s, no one was screaming from the rafters about banning guns, or stocking up on AR15s....what happened?!

How do we get back to "common sense" and guns?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Here's a photo of one of the "alleged" shooters. Funny how most of the media won't post this photo. 🤔

20240215_095343.jpg

Any respectable media source wouldn’t publish this photo before it is properly vetted. What is the source of this photo? Who corroborated with what law enforcement authorities to confirm this person is one of the alleged perpetrators? There are very good reasons, legal and otherwise, why respectable outlets follow these protocols. Not the least of which is to not compromise law enforcement during its investigation. 

Regardless, when information is confirmed by law enforcement authorities, pictures of all the suspects will be prominently displayed by media sources everywhere. 

• Disagree 2

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regardless, when information is confirmed by law enforcement authorities, pictures of all the suspects will be prominently displayed by media sources everywhere. 

No, they won’t .. and we all know why. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/14/us/kansas-city-chiefs-rally-shooting-thursday/index.html

Sadly, it will be tough to identify ALL of the shooters. Most were wearing red jerseys. Eyewitness accounts will be subject to scrutiny. A defense lawyer’s wet dream. 

RIP to the young lady shot and killed. I wonder if she was the initial target? Some kind of revenge? 

Sad story. 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I think this really depends on a person's age.  I was in high school in the 1990s and 2000s and the idea we must go to college was really pushed hard I thought on our generation.  Like you won't be successful in life without it.  And yeah at 17 I wasn't exactly the best long term planner.  So in that sense I have sympathy for kids that racked up the debt.

But I hear what you're saying.  It seems less and less boys these days go to college for this and other reasons imo.  Understanding debt accumulation is one of them.  

Understood, but I think you’ll admit this is far from being one of the biggest problems many in our society face on a daily basis. 

• Agree 1

Lots of talk on here about Chicago and why they wont publish the shooters photos within a day of the shooting.  "We all know why right?"    Here are some stats.

From 2016 to 2020, the two U.S. counties to experience the most gun homicides per capita were rural:*

Phillips County, Arkansas: 55.45 age-adjusted homicides per 100,000 people

Lowndes County, Alabama: 48.36 age-adjusted homicides per 100,000 people**

From 2016 to 2020, 13 of the 20 U.S. counties with the most gun homicides per capita were rural:

80 percent of these 20 counties are in states that received an “F” grade for their weak gun laws, according to Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s 2021 annual state scorecard rankings.

In 2020, the total gun death rate for rural communities—when age-adjusted per 100,000 people—was 40 percent higher than it was for large metropolitan areas.

For reference to my stat hating Bills fans.... 2021 Chicago rate was 29.6

Edited by nedboy7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Lots of talk on here about Chicago and why they wont publish the shooters photos within a day of the shooting.  "We all know why right?"    Here are some stats.

From 2016 to 2020, the two U.S. counties to experience the most gun homicides per capita were rural:*

From 2016 to 2020, 13 of the 20 U.S. counties with the most gun homicides per capita were rural:

80 percent of these 20 counties are in states that received an “F” grade for their weak gun laws, according to Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s 2021 annual state scorecard rankings.

In 2020, the total gun death rate for rural communities—when age-adjusted per 100,000 people—was 40 percent higher than it was for large metropolitan areas.

These are interesting stats but I think with everything, there is context inside the stats.  

I have a lot of friends who are cops.  The reason why you will see more violence in rural areas is because there is more prevalence of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and domestic violence.  Also consider, most of the murders in large metropolitan areas are the more poorer income areas.  So the lifestyles are similar to those in rural areas, they just live in a different spot.

When they are doing the murder rate of Chicago, they are including all of Chicago.  The vast majority of the violence crimes and murders happen in the southside of Chicago....what would the per capita murder rate be if they split Chicago between north and south?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No, they won’t .. and we all know why. 

Because there has been an increasing sensitivity to not showing, or glorifying the cowards who perpetrate these horrific acts.  The media finally learned their lesson after the wildly irresponsible coverage of Columbine and VA Tech.  Coverage now focuses on the victims instead of the losers.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Speaking of statistics, what else do Phillips and Lowndes counties have in common?

https://data.census.gov/

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Because there has been an increasing sensitivity to not showing, or glorifying the cowards who perpetrate these horrific acts.  The media finally learned their lesson after the wildly irresponsible coverage of Columbine and VA Tech.  Coverage now focuses on the victims instead of the losers.  

No, that's not the reason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

No, that's not the reason.

Then be brave and go on record with the reason.  You too @Bob Jones

I can't wait to hear about how the media in this country is afraid to paint black men in a negative light.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Blah, blah, blah

If this guy was white, we would've known his name, background, and his entire social media history within hours of the shooting.

That's literally exactly the reason. 

At least you have the guts to say it.  I would encourage you to do a modicum of research about prevailing stereotypes in the depiction of black people in the news and media, a topic which has decades worth of research for your consideration.  Or you can take a look at sentencing disparities between blacks and whites.  If you're still convinced that the white man can't get a fair shake in America then we can agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

The reality is that annually there are thousands of deaths by gun violence. The vast majority’s have taken place in inner cities (the data isn’t hard to verify), where you have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.  

You can use the per capita nonsense to spin the narrative, sure the averages will skew higher in sparsely populated rural areas, but the raw data says otherwise when pinpointing actual locations of violence.

I’ll take my chances in any Illinois Alabama Missouri rural town vs urban “inner-city” Chicago Birmingham or KC, how about you?

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Here's the thing, I'm able to find some middle ground there and I think we can have a genuine good faith debate, because I do think there is some truth in the media not reporting on this, just like the media doesn't report on missing women of color a whole bunch, but if it's a pretty blonde white girl it's national news. Them having a pro gun ban agenda, I don't know...I mean I think if they had any agenda at all, and if I was going to think they were legit psychopaths, I'd say they make way more money with there being mass shootings...if the media actually had an agenda to get rid of guns, I'd argue they would do a much much much better job of actually getting rid of guns...they made people believe that diamonds are actually valuable and that you need to spend a crap ton of money to buy them as an engagement ring, which was a crazy marketing and media agenda.

Problem is, I've had these types of conversations with people before (I was living in Ft Lauderdale when the Parkland shooting happened and thought things were really going to change after that one, and then they started getting called crisis actors...in the media and by politicians, so truly I think it might be worth re-evaluating where the agenda potentially might be, because I don't think you're trying to come at this from a bad faith argument)

Anyway, I truly I understand it's a highly nuanced issue and am truly open to listening and getting past the talking points that would set each other off onto conditioned tracks of conversation that are built on purpose to prevent us from being able to collaborate and compromise and actually change stuff (I dunno, feel like I learned that from George Carlin), and really listen to what you are trying to say, and not how you're saying it.

Here's the problem though, because this happens basically every time I try this...someone claims there are all these systemic issues leading to gun violence, but then when I mention yes, there are systemic issues like redlining and a bunch of things impacting, yes disproportionately people of color, but also people of all low socioeconomic levels, the invariable response back is that's made up, it's not true, I am not open to entertaining that line of thought for a moment, it's in the past and people need to work harder, basically...boot straps and all.

There is also a huge increase in hopelessness and lack of connection, which sadly is being exacerbated by income inequality and it continues to get worse and instead of coming together to figure out a solution, there has been a consistent agenda to take any possible solution, break it in half and put those solutions on two sides of a fence and prevent people from being able to talk to one another and realize the only solution is to work together. 

I do think there is an agenda that led to that, I do think it's a media agenda, I could listen to it being a both sides thing and in many many ways it is in terms of not reporting on actual stuff and instead just focusing on if it bleeds it leads... but I also am looking around and suddenly out of nowhere people are terrified and angry at Taylor Swift, and they were suddenly out of nowhere terrified and angry at something else and next month it will be something else.

Excellent well thought out points, many of which you and I agree upon. I’ll just say this, I believe there’s a rather large segment of government from both sides who benefit from an ongoing gun debate that will never amount to any solutions, and if that focus were to switch from the gun used in these crimes to the perpetrators and reasoning behind their actions plenty of powerful people(big pharma) wouldn’t approve.

I truly appreciate your view.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

I agree 100% ! But this really doesn't surprise me in todays world which is truly sad . I hope they make examples of these to f n people .

But as it goes they will probably get 3 hots & a cot that we will have to pay for while they also go work out at the prison gym then take a sit in the hot sauna then go to the library and then a hot meal . Some kind of justice in that ...

What ever happened to an eye for an eye ??? Those 2 are just sick !!! 

I’m in favor of dismembering something at the start of their time, making life more uncomfortable for ”lifers” in some way. They used to take a hand if you got caught stealing, take something from these idiots and force them to live that way. The worst I can think of is eyes or hearing. Death is an easy way out, I think living uncomfortable is worse. 

5 hours ago, zow2 said:

Gun violence is more of an inner city violence thing. Yes, there are shootings everywhere but I live near DC and the gun usage and deaths in certain areas is off the chain...and it spills over.  They track down some of these violent lunatics who do crimes in the suburbs and many come up from DC to rob, car jack and kill.  I blame the people doing these acts and the glorified culture of violence more than the actual guns.

There’s definitely a cultural aspect with the inner city gun crimes in these black communities, people don’t want to say it out loud, but until it’s recognized and addressed I’m afraid the cycle of gun crime in those communities will continue and of course the people effected and hurt the most are the law abiding black citizens in those very communities.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

At least you have the guts to say it.  I would encourage you to do a modicum of research about prevailing stereotypes in the depiction of black people in the news and media, a topic which has decades worth of research for your consideration.  Or you can take a look at sentencing disparities between blacks and whites.  If you're still convinced that the white man can't get a fair shake in America then we can agree to disagree.

I would encourage you to do some research as well. FBI table 43 gives a racial breakdown of crimes each year by race. These stats are from every police agency in the country which are required to submit a UCR (Uniform Crime Report). A rough breakdown is that black men make up just over 6% of the population but commit approximately 55% of violent crimes.  

• Like (+1) 4

a mass shooting is defined as where 4 or more people are shot.  not that the all died, or are even seriously injured.  it doesn't have to be just one shooter or gun, so if two guys shoot at each other, hit each other and some other people, it's a mass shooting, and so is whatever happened in vegas that produced zero photos or videos (someone really should set up cameras or something in vegas some day).

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You’ve never observed court if you are complaining about sentencing disparities. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Certain "stereotypes" about gun violence exist for a reason. Last year, black people made made up roughly 60% of the homicide arrests, despite the fact that about 70% of inner-city murders go unsolved. They are around 12% of the population. If you take away people in that group who are unlikely to kill (women, kids, the elderly), we're talking about roughly 4-5% of the population committing over half the murders. That's an issue that we should be able to discuss without worrying about accusations of racism.

Sentencing disparities are explained away by them beimg more likely to have prior convictions, which is the #1 consideration when time is handed down.

Every one of the studies I have seen explicitly considers and adjusts for prior offenses.  This is a convenient explanation but it doesn't hold water.

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/research-publications/2017/20171114_Demographics.pdf

You will want to refer to the section about Prior Violence as a consideration and the 20% observed disparity in length of sentence.

I am well aware of the crime statistics in this country.  Are you offering a defense of stereotyping in the coverage of individual events?

4 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

You’ve never observed court if you are complaining about sentencing disparities. 

I don't know what this even means.

13 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I would encourage you to do some research as well. FBI table 43 gives a racial breakdown of crimes each year by race. These stats are from every police agency in the country which are required to submit a UCR (Uniform Crime Report). A rough breakdown is that black men make up just over 6% of the population but commit approximately 55% of violent crimes.  

Did it. Done it.  

Do you intend to make a point based on said statistics?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-parade-shooting-police-update/

Two of three involved were juveniles, it is now being reported.

As to the meta conversation occurring in this thread... well... I can't imagine any comment I would give would convince anyone to change their preconceived notions so I will just let everyone have fun continuing to share their truth with the world.

• Haha (+1) 1

“Kansas City shooting live updates: Police say 'dispute between several people' led to gunfire

3 people, including 2 juveniles, were detained in connection with the shooting near Union Station that left 22 injured, police say.”

Dispute🥴……. Typical media.

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Virtually any disparities can be explained away with simple statistics and explanations.

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/no-racism-justice-system

You're also living in a dream world if you think black criminals are covered more harshly in the media. The overwhelming majority of interracial violence is committed by black people. Black-on-white murders double white-on-black murders, even though there are 5X as many whites. Which stories get covered ad nauseam and which ones get buried? Let's be real here.

It appears things have changed since 1994 as based on the actual study I provided.  I didn't see any statistics in that abstract or any access to the actual article or underlying research.  I am not familiar with The Public Interest, is it still in circulation? But if the findings from The Public Interest circa 1994 carry more weight with you than the United States Sentencing Commission, then cheers.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beach said:

just put a new message at the back of the endzones, that'll fix it

Yup…… NFL PR machine and maybe Rog can get 2 friends to sit next to him for big game photo ops.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Virtually any disparities can be explained away with simple statistics and explanations.

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/no-racism-justice-system

You're also living in a dream world if you think black criminals are covered more harshly in the media. The overwhelming majority of interracial violence is committed by black people. Black-on-white murders double white-on-black murders, even though there are 5X as many whites. Which stories get covered ad nauseam and which ones get buried? Let's be real here.

The media loves stories of white people committing crimes allegedly motivated by hate.  No argument here.  I think these stories get more run than they should and sometimes like George Zimmerman, they jump wildly to bogus conclusions.  Much of the coverage is irresponsible.  I do not think the answer is to do something similarly hasty and irresponsible for people of all races.  I agree that I seldom if ever see the hate crime angle discussed when the races are reversed.

Seems like the media in this case may not be jumping to wild conclusions to drive narrative which is responsible I would think.  Maybe even commendable.  Perhaps because the accused are minors and get different protection in media coverage.  I watch enough news to see plenty of coverage of black Americans.   Outside of the hate crime coverage, I don't see black men getting a pass in the media and there are volumes of research which support that point.

19 minutes ago, Dancing Fool said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kansas-city-chiefs-parade-shooting-police-update/

Two of three involved were juveniles, it is now being reported.

As to the meta conversation occurring in this thread... well... I can't imagine any comment I would give would convince anyone to change their preconceived notions so I will just let everyone have fun continuing to share their truth with the world.

Another reason why responsible, legitimate media outlets need to carefully vet and confirm their law enforcement sources before publishing names and pictures of suspects. 

15 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Black-on-white murders double white-on-black murders, even though there are 5X as many whites. Which stories get covered ad nauseam and which ones get buried? Let's be real here.

In my experience the only white on black murders that get covered ad nauseum are when police officers (AKA government officers) murder citizens. Which should be covered extensively. The government murdering its own citizens should be a headline every time it happens and it should appall everybody.

42 minutes ago, julian said:

There’s definitely a cultural aspect with the inner city gun crimes in these black communities, people don’t want to say it out loud, but until it’s recognized and addressed I’m afraid the cycle of gun crime in those communities will continue and of course the people effected and hurt the most are the law abiding black citizens in those very communities.

Addressed how? There are already gun laws that in theory should make it difficult for violent criminals and juveniles to obtain the weapons used in these crimes. Are you asking for more gun laws?

52 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It's also especially rich that when the mass shooter is white, the media trips over itself to humanize the shooter, determine "why" he did what he did and have a whole slew of interviews with his neighbours about how he was a nice guy who kept to himself.

Meanwhile, if the shooter was brown or looked Muslim...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, yall said:

In a surprise to absolutely no one who is paying attention, it's now being initially reported that the shooters were juveniles who were having a dispute.

Yeah NBC News said juveniles. What is that 16 and younger. Geez

48 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Certain "stereotypes" about gun violence exist for a reason. Last year, black people made made up roughly 60% of the homicide arrests, despite the fact that about 70% of inner-city murders go unsolved. They are around 12% of the population. If you take away people in that group who are unlikely to kill (women, kids, the elderly), we're talking about roughly 4-5% of the population committing over half the murders. That's an issue that we should be able to discuss without worrying about accusations of racism.

Sentencing disparities are explained away by them beimg more likely to have prior convictions, which is the #1 consideration when time is handed down.

But the reason it won't be truly discussed with the racial element attached to it is because no one will be honest as to WHY crime and especially crime amongst black men in inner cities is so high.  Because that requires us to look at the institutions/policies/systems that were put in place to bring such levels of abject poverty and lack of opportunity that crime becomes palatable.

It's just easier to sit there on a high horse and say "black men are more violent than white men" without any context whatsover.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Heels20X6 said:

But the reason it won't be truly discussed with the racial element attached to it is because no one will be honest as to WHY crime and especially crime amongst black men in inner cities is so high.  Because that requires us to look at the institutions/policies/systems that were put in place to bring such levels of abject poverty and lack of opportunity that crime becomes palatable.

It's just easier to sit there on a high horse and say "black men are more violent than white men" without any context whatsover.

Get out of here w your nuance and context! I got mine jack now you go get yours

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Yeah NBC News said juveniles. What is that 16 and younger. Geez

I'm assuming it means under 18 in this context. Although recently people have started grouping 18 year olds in the category of "children" when reporting on certain things like victims of gun violence.

• Like (+1) 1