Best and Worst QB in Each Team's History

Rubes

7 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Dennis Shaw's 1971 season was THE WORST season by a Bills quarterback in our history.

1-11 record, 1,813 passing yards, 11 TDs, 26 INTs, 51.2% completions.

The Bills' OL was crap during Shaw's tenure. Over 3 seasons (1970-72) he was sacked 110 times!

The Electric Company did not turn on the Juice until 1973.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Marcus Aurelius  remembers  ...

Richie Lucas who was a first round pick in both the 1960 NFL draft and the 1960 American Football League draft. Lucas signed with the Buffalo Bills of the newly-formed AFL, making him officially the BILLS first player!

99130.jpg

and he created a very nice Men's store - O'Connell Lucas and Chelf, now simply called O'Connell's.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, finn said:

I loved Kelly, but I don't think there's any question at all that Allen is a better quarterback in every respect. (I don't count hardware, never have.)

Kelly was surrounded by HOF players,  I think maybe Diggs is the only HOF player Allen has had.  Comparing the two QB'S,  Allen bests Kelly in almost every category except making Super Bowls

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I disagree Kelly threw maddening interceptions similar to Josh. The only difference is he had two Hall of Famers in Reed and Lofton. Then Bill Brooks that was a premier WR in Indy before he got here. Oh and Thurman who was as complete a RB as you'll ever find. 

Kelly did have a better cast of characters.  I agree.  

19 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My first childhood football hero. Really.

In his defense, he messed up his shoulder pretty bad that year. In 1970, he was a slightly more acceptable 3-8-1.

That injury ruined his career.

I know there are much worse QBs statistically, but I can’t believe nobody mentioned Rob Johnson. Peterman was a 5th round pick without many expectations to begin with. The amount of resources to get RJ along w/ his terrible robotic play and the Flutie benching make him the most disappointing QB in Bills history. I’ll stand by that opinion until the day I die. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Marcus Aurelius  remembers  ...

Richie Lucas who was a first round pick in both the 1960 NFL draft and the 1960 American Football League draft. Lucas signed with the Buffalo Bills of the newly-formed AFL, making him officially the BILLS first player!

99130.jpg

looks like this was taken at Knox Farm

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I know there are much worse QBs statistically, but I can’t believe nobody mentioned Rob Johnson. Peterman was a 5th round pick without many expectations to begin with. The amount of resources to get RJ along w/ his terrible robotic play and the Flutie benching make him the most disappointing QB in Bills history. I’ll stand by that opinion until the day I die. 

Most disappointing, sure. But not the worst, not by a long shot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Dennis Shaw's 1971 season was THE WORST season by a Bills quarterback in our history.

23423Untitled.png

Yes, but just the year before, he was AFL Rookie of the Year. So, we got that goin’ for us, which is nice..

https://images.app.goo.gl/wXbJpqZtBw4rWr9G8

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:39 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

When you combine stats and his name, Joe Dufek is my choice for worst ever...

1-4, 49% comp %, 4 TD 8 INT

Stats alone it is Peterman by a landslide....

Some of us on this board will remember it was so bad with the Bills. 

This was a catch phrase...

" What the heck, why not Dufek"

😑

23 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

My first childhood football hero. Really.

In his defense, he messed up his shoulder pretty bad that year. In 1970, he was a slightly more acceptable 3-8-1.

I'll also chime in with you, Frankish. Shaw looked promising in 1970, and he was banged up throughout the 1971 season. Plus that '71 offensive line was likely the worst in Bills history, a total sieve. Neither Shaw nor James Harris had a chance back there; I recall the Vikings sacked Shaw 10 times in one game. Plus the Bills were always playing from behind and forced to throw, because their defense was horrible (with the exception of the great Robert James, of course!).  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Too many youngsters here. How about Billy Joe Hobert.

I mean, it's not like he wasn't mentioned on the first page or anything...

😉

On 2/9/2024 at 6:05 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

23423Untitled.png

1970 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year

IMG_2763.jpeg

I have watched since the mid 80's.  In a vast sea of bad options, the three worst to me in my memory were Nathan Peterman, Jeff Tuel and Bruce Mathison.  For those who don't remember, Mathison was a QB from Nebraska who started the year before Kelly.  Think JP Losman with close to Peterman's proneness to turnovers.  I'll give him a pass over the other two because the team was in a full blown rebuild at the time and QB's had it a little tougher in the 80's

The leaves Tuel and Peterman.   Tuel was a UDFA who only saw the field because Manual and Kolb got hurt.  He was awful, but should not have put in that position in the first place.

Peterman had a little more expectations, he was seen as a 5th round steal, some saw him as a dark horse starter or at least as a stop gap option.  He also had a larger knack for pick 6's like I have never seen.   When you play the Bears, hold them to under 250 total yards and still lose 41-9, that should give an idea of just how much of a liability that he was.  It is Peterman by a long shot and then everyone else. 

Edited by dgrochester55

On 2/9/2024 at 11:45 PM, Rubes said:

Fun to read article from SportsDrop on each NFL team's best and worst QBs.

Just remember, this is the guy our current coach picked to start at one point.

Absolutely incredible how this guy ***** the bed when he got the big chance. There have been plenty of really bad QBs for the Bills over the years, but it's hard to argue with just how bad Peterman was when he took the field.

Others you would argue were worse?

Dan Darragh is thankful for Nathan Peterman.

Worst? Billy Joe Hobert. How do you not study a playbook at the NFL level? For bing an idiot, he ranks first in my book.

If you are choosing worst based on a lengthy starting span?  Manuel. Wasted first round pick and was a terrible QB.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:04 PM, mikemac2001 said:

Billy joe Hobert 

Yeah, Billy Joe Gunrack was my fav!

What an obtuse clown, who admitted to never studying the playbook because he was drunk the night before and didn’t expect to play! 😂🤪

17/30 (56%) 133 Yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs 

On 2/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, MJS said:

Brian Brohm takes the cake for me. Two starts, 0 wins, 0 TD's, 5 INT's, 51.9 completion percentage. He had a 9.6 INT percentage, higher than Nathan Peterman's. Peterman at least won a game...

He decided to stay in college for one more year - had he come out earlier he was considered an overall #1 pick

15 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Brian Brohm was pretty terrible in the limited action he saw.   His passer rating was even worse than Peterman's.  And I also recall folks on here clamoring to see him play lol.

I remember taking flak from the Brohm fans when I mentioned that I thought it was not possible that Russ Brandon had outsmarted all the other GMs, including the best ones in the league, when he signed Brohm off GB's practice squad. My logic was that a 2nd round QB pick who gets waived before his 2nd season & not claimed and then had spent the season on a practice squad with nobody else interested, was not some genius signing by Russ Brandon & our management team. 

They said things like Buddy Nix was the one behind the Brohm signing (like that was any better than Russ Brandon), that Brohm was projected as the #1 pick before his last year in college, and "I saw him play in college". 

17 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Some of us on this board will remember it was so bad with the Bills. 

This was a catch phrase...

" What the heck, why not Dufek"

😑

Joe Dufek. A name lost to history 😂😂😂.

i mean can we all admit the the Bills had many bad quarterbacks! Many. Here’s a better question…How many Bills bad quarterbacks would be on the list if they played for other teams. 😂

there’s so many.. Dufek, Totten, Ferragamo, and the others listed here. 

On 2/9/2024 at 6:26 PM, warrior9 said:

But he is a strong christian.

God was not on Peterman’s side while playing football…, 😂

On 2/9/2024 at 6:34 PM, finn said:

I loved Kelly, but I don't think there's any question at all that Allen is a better quarterback in every respect. (I don't count hardware, never have.)

I would give the deep arcing ball to Kelly. Also the short area touch passes and the quick slant throws.  So, not Every respect.

• Agree 1

On 2/10/2024 at 8:07 PM, prissythecat said:

Brian Brohm was pretty terrible in the limited action he saw.   His passer rating was even worse than Peterman's.  And I also recall folks on here clamoring to see him play lol.

We all just wanted the alliteration:

Buffalo Bills’ Brian Brohm Becomes Bad. 

• Haha (+1) 1

For my money, it was the day we traded Bill Miller & Daryl Lamonica to Oakland for Art Powell & Tom Flores.

Honorable mention; believing it was a no brainer Pete Gogolak would re-sign with us.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On 2/11/2024 at 12:18 PM, bostonadguy said:

Joe Dufek. A name lost to history 😂😂😂.

i mean can we all admit the the Bills had many bad quarterbacks! Many. Here’s a better question…How many Bills bad quarterbacks would be on the list if they played for other teams. 😂

there’s so many.. Dufek, Totten, Ferragamo, and the others listed here. 

Totten was a strike player and he's in a different category than guys who played in real games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.