Bills Positional Coach Hires

KingBoots8

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Will anybody be brought in as an external candidate?!!

I do believe this is one of McDermott's faults... to an extent. 

It's great for continuity, etc .. I get that but there has to be new faces, new ideas, new concepts, new coaches that are going to challenge and move the needle for us. 

It's been said on here 10000x about the definition of insanity.... and this is proving to be true. Keeping all of the same people in the building and on staff is not a recipe to 'get over the hump" 

hell, I dont think our special teams coordinator lost his job and they were atrocious this year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 3

14 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

It's great for continuity, etc .. I get that but there has to be new faces, new ideas, new concepts, new coaches that are going to challenge and move the needle for us. 

It's been said on here 10000x about the definition of insanity.... and this is proving to be true. Keeping all of the same people in the building and on staff is not a recipe to 'get over the hump" 

hell, I dont think our special teams coordinator lost his job and they were atrocious this year. 

For better or worse this does give us a real look into the coaching staff (McDermott primarily) and organization's mindset. 

Inside the organization they clearly don't believe that they're losing due to coaching.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

I think Marcus West was a real credible candidate for promotion. He has earned his chops over the last decade fighting his way up the ladder taking jobs at small time FBS schools before getting to the Bills in 2022. Classic example of a guy who doesn't have the contacts to get in on who he knows and has really had to prove himself. The people I have spoken to on him say he is a hell of a teacher. Hope he makes the step up seamlessly. 

Al Holcomb has obviously been a linebackers coach in the league before. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

This part is maddening, the punter is worse, kicker was way worse, kick coverage was awful for a team that tries to force returns, and the punt coverage was very bad. The fake was poorly executed and he had to be involved in the too many men debacle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

So who are the available defensive assistants that are so much better than who they hired?  Who are the available co ordinators better than Babich and Brady?  People wild.  Give me young coordinators over old retreads.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Yes, they will be the asst. LB coach and asst D line. This is how McDermott builds his pipeline and brings in new ideas.

Giving young guys a shot to make it in the league. Maybe you uncover a gem of a coach. Read up on Mike McDaniels and his assent to HC

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Why does it matter? The idea is promote from with in at every business.  Unless a department is failing than you may look for outside resources.  Buffalo has had good offenses and good defenses.  The front office is highly regarded. Why not hire individuals who are being looked at by your competitors?  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

What makes you think these guys won’t have some new concepts or ideas in their new roles?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This part is maddening, the punter is worse, kicker was way worse, kick coverage was awful for a team that tries to force returns, and the punt coverage was very bad. The fake was poorly executed and he had to be involved in the too many men debacle. 

and in 2022 they were a top 5 unit in a bunch of categories in special teams and top 10 in most of the others. I'm not happy with how they performed, but I think its worth seeing if he can turn it around 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Why does it matter? The idea is promote from with in at every business.  Unless a department is failing than you may look for outside resources.  Buffalo has had good offenses and good defenses.  The front office is highly regarded. Why not hire individuals who are being looked at by your competitors?  

This is it right here, the best businesses grow and development talent from within, probably why the Bill's have been one of the most successful teams the past five years. Just because there is one dominat team right now doesn't mean the rest are all failures. Very few teams in the NFL have been more successful recently...very few.

• Like (+1) 7

Apparently only in football is it considered a good thing to go outside of the company to fill a position rather than promoting a hard worker from within.

I’m not sure what the success rates are when comparing the two options but it would be interesting to see the data.

I worked for a train manufacturer in the 90s and a supervisor role opened up and instead of promoting someone from the floor they opted to bring in a ex firefighter to fill the position, within 2 weeks while on the floor he was trying to get to know what the actual work was like and someone had to show him how to light an acetylene torch.

I understand not knowing how to light a torch means very little for his ability to supervise in the big picture and yes I know it has zero relatability to the NFL, but it didn’t go over well with plenty of employees who believed if they worked hard and did a good job they’d get their opportunity. I wonder if there’s that same sentiment among NFL coaches who are overlooked for outside candidates.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BattlinBill said:

This is it right here, the best businesses grow and development talent from within, probably why the Bill's have been one of the most successful teams the past five years. Just because there is one dominat team right now doesn't mean the rest are all failures. Very few teams in the NFL have been more successful recently...very few.

I worked on the R&D side of DoD contracting and this wasn't the case. At a certain level it's almost always grabbing someone from the outside or poaching competitors in a way that your CEO will have time at all the major players. Innovation and improvement usually comes from fresh perspectives and not the same staff. The fear is complacency and unfortunately I think we are right there. You don't want to end up like NE who was just void of outside influence and crashed post Brady.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Welcome to Buffalo. Where the best man for the job is always already here. 

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

It's just recency bias. Go look at coaching hires from previous years and you'll see that they do often bring in external coaches.

Fans are salty about nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

DaQuan is happy 

This is good!  Something tells me that DaQuan just may be in a much better spot to evalute this hire than ANY of the those that have posted.  DaQuan doesn't say much, so I'll take him for his word in this case and hope that it helps bring him back next year.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

For better or worse this does give us a real look into the coaching staff (McDermott primarily) and organization's mindset. 

Inside the organization they clearly don't believe that they're losing due to coaching.  

I absolutely agree with you, unfortunately. 

55 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

What makes you think these guys won’t have some new concepts or ideas in their new roles?

Because they're guys from the system and have learned from the same guy for years and there has been no sign under McDermott that change is accepted. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Eyeroll 1

52 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Didn’t you know? McDermott has all new hires lobotomized so they never contradict him…, it’s part of the process…,  😂

Every time I poke my head into one of these threads I see the same thing…there are a heluva lot of vocal posters who don’t have an effing clue how to run a successful organization.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's just recency bias. Go look at coaching hires from previous years and you'll see that they do often bring in external coaches.

Fans are salty about nothing.

I mean, I'm just making a joke because it is, in fact Groundhog Day.

Yes, the Bills bring in people from outside. Often times into assistant roles (West and Holcomb are examples) and give them a year or two to acclimate to the "Buffalo Way". Fill the pipeline, promote from within. It's great for continuity as long as the process is worth continuing. 

The last 4 coordinator hires (Dorsey, Smiley, Brady and Babich) and well as many of the position coach hires, however have all been internal. 

He was an external hire last year when we brought him on as an assistant, having previously been the Panthers DC. What does it matter a year later?

Has anyone seen the candidates that are out there? Or lack there of?

Raiders brought in Chip frickin Kelly to interview for OC this week.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I absolutely agree with you, unfortunately. 

Because they're guys from the system and have learned from the same guy for years and there has been no sign under McDermott that change is accepted. 

There was quite a bit of change from Fraizer to McDermott 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Good offenses and good defenses that haven't won anything.  The team is strictly following a formula that hasn't worked.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Good offenses and good defenses that haven't won anything.  The team is strictly following a formula that hasn't worked.  

Because it's that easy to win it all! Before the last Detroit game, people here have said: We can win it all if we have coach Campbell. It takes good coaching, good- great talent, peaking at the right time, less injuries, and a bunch of luck! 

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully Oliver's improvement is due to West! The DL has disappeared in the playoffs under McClappy and Washington.  An outside view would have been nice to rebuild the DL when they only have 4 under contract. 

1 hour ago, Flipnmi said:

This is good!  Something tells me that DaQuan just may be in a much better spot to evalute this hire than ANY of the those that have posted.  DaQuan doesn't say much, so I'll take him for his word in this case and hope that it helps bring him back next year.

isn't he a FA as well?

bodes well that maybe he is back.

• Like (+1) 2

Bringing in big names doesn’t always work

out. Look no further than our rival Dolphins. They hired Fangio to get them over the hump and stop Josh Allen

0-2 vs the Bills

Wildcard exit

Need a new DC

Everyone points to spags but you could just as easily get Fangio and have nothing to show for it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.