Eagles hire Kellen Moore as OC

Draconator

It’s weird how other teams can freely hire top talent at the coordinator positions and we have to depend on our HC and the guy behind the OC we fired. Even more weird is how people don’t see this as a problem.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

It’s weird how other teams can freely hire top talent at the coordinator positions and we have to depend on our HC and the guy behind the OC we fired. Even more weird is how people don’t see this as a problem.

That guy behind the OC was interviewed for a HC spot. A guy behind the HC was just hired as a DC elsewhere.

Moore has effectively been “fired” in back-to-back seasons.

Which of them are “top talent”?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Most people wanted Dorsey. Less people want Brady, but there’s no one available Im pounding the table for. 

31 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

That guy behind the OC was interviewed for a HC spot. A guy behind the HC was just hired as a DC elsewhere.

Moore has effectively been “fired” in back-to-back seasons.

Which of them are “top talent”?

Dorsey interviewed for a HC role last year. What’s your point?

We haven’t hired a defensive coordinator because McD doesn’t trust somebody else to run “his” defense. We will keep Brady because McD has full control over him. We will not be a team that innovates because we won’t provide freedom to coaches to be independent. We will only employ those that will fall in line. It’s like New England but without the success.

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Wanna make it way more weird... look at the Sabres.

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Was anyone pounding the table for Kellen Moore?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m pounding the table for an actual coaching search of any kind. But the reality is no top coordinator would work under McD’s thumb. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

I’m curious, as the comment wasn’t about Moore. Moore is considered a talented OC by many, but not the guy I want. It’s more about our general approach and ability to bring in a top

guy. Which is completely non existent. 

What scenario would we hire an elite OC or DC or consider allowing that person to have more creative control? The answer is none. It’s none even if we wanted to. 

If you’re DC for us, you’re running McD’s system only. If you’re an OC, like defense, you won’t fundamentally be allowed to change systems. Continuity matters when you’re the Patriots and you have won X amount of super bowls. It’s not what you sell out for over ability when you can’t get past the divisional round.

McD has had odd conclusions with Frazier, Daboll, Dorsey. Either ending disgruntled or with unusual separations. So how would you feel about a HC who may or may not have your back, who you will have limited freedom with?

I can literally picture this boss in my civilian life. It’s the worst kind of manager to have. Boxed into how they want things done and criticized or worse if it doesn’t work. Nobody worth a salt is walking into such a situation. 

So when we look at our team and go where is the growth coming from with X’s and O’s, where is the ingenuity and creativity? The answer is Sean and maybe a little Brady. A guy we should be happy with who was let go by Carolina. I’m sorry but this is just not acceptable. Not for what could be a potentially lead leading offense and a defense that would get us to the Super Bowl if they just figured out how to play Kansas City at an average playoff level. 

Look what Baltimore did in one year. Complex offensive rebuild. New OC. Creativity. The works. Sean will

never so that. 

We have literally given KC 3 of the top offensive performances they have had in Mahomes era based on EPA. We can’t even play them average. 

Yup, run it back Sean 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

We haven’t hired a defensive coordinator because McD doesn’t trust somebody else to run “his” defense. We will keep Brady because McD has full control over him. We will not be a team that innovates because we won’t provide freedom to coaches to be independent. We will only employ those that will fall in line. It’s like New England but without the success.

Calm down, Francis

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I’m curious, as the comment wasn’t about Moore. Moore is considered a talented OC by many, but not the guy I want. It’s more about our general approach and ability to bring in a top

guy. Which is completely non existent. 

What scenario would we hire an elite OC or DC or consider allowing that person to have more creative control? The answer is none. It’s none even if we wanted to. 

If you’re DC for us, you’re running McD’s system only. If you’re an OC, like defense, you won’t fundamentally be allowed to change systems. Continuity matters when you’re the Patriots and you have won X amount of super bowls. It’s not what you sell out for over ability when you can’t get past the divisional round.

McD has had odd conclusions with Frazier, Daboll, Dorsey. Either ending disgruntled or with unusual separations. So how would you feel about a HC who may or may not have your back, who you will have limited freedom with?

I can literally picture this boss in my civilian life. It’s the worst kind of manager to have. Boxed into how they want things done and criticized or worse if it doesn’t work. Nobody worth a salt is walking into such a situation. 

So when we look at our team and go where is the growth coming from with X’s and O’s, where is the ingenuity and creativity? The answer is Sean and maybe a little Brady. A guy we should be happy with who was let go by Carolina. I’m sorry but this is just not acceptable. Not for what could be a potentially lead leading offense and a defense that would get us to the Super Bowl if they just figured out how to play Kansas City at an average playoff level. 

Look what Baltimore did in one year. Complex offensive rebuild. New OC. Creativity. The works. Sean will

never so that. 

We have literally given KC 3 of the top offensive performances they have had in Mahomes era based on EPA. We can’t even play them average. 

Yup, run it back Sean 👍

Ok so are there names of “elite” OCs or DCs that you would like to see them bring in? 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I'll say this: the Eagles 100% upgraded at their coordinators this offseason

I think it's better than what they had, but I don't think they did that well bringing in Moore and Fangio.

Dallas didn't seem to miss Moore last year. One could argue the offense was better without him and under McCarthy, of all people. Fangio is getting ancient. He's stuck in his ways and made several odd choices on his side of the ball where it came to playtime and duties. He almost refuses to adjust his system to fit players. Players were overjoyed to see him go.

All in all, they got 2 "big names". How it will turn out is anyone's guess, but barring a deep playoff run, I think Sirianni is about done there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I’m pounding the table for an actual coaching search of any kind. But the reality is no top coordinator would work under McD’s thumb. 

The reality is a top coordinator becomes a HC. The “ innovative” systems that actually led to SB wins are decades old. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think it's better than what they had, but I don't think they did that well bringing in Moore and Fangio.

Dallas didn't seem to miss Moore last year. One could argue the offense was better without him and under McCarthy, of all people. Fangio is getting ancient. He's stuck in his ways and made several odd choices on his side of the ball where it came to playtime and duties. He almost refuses to adjust his system to fit players. Players were overjoyed to see him go.

All in all, they got 2 "big names". How it will turn out is anyone's guess, but barring a deep playoff run, I think Sirianni is about done there.

It smacks of desperation and I came to the exact same conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Maybe we can interview Fangio. I've heard he's a top talent DC.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

This is a serious problem.  It reminds me of Rex Ryan who wanted his D his way.  I guess the HC has that choice, and the results of McD's D is much better than Rex's.  Still, it takes bandwidth away from the HC hat part of McD's job  for him to be the DC.  I think it is a real problem as no human as unlimited capacity.

Bills hire experienced coordinators - we have the best coordinators in the football. McD knows how to surround himself with excellent coaches. 

Bills have McD puppets as coordinators - we don’t need these awful retreads. They all suck. Our guys are up and comers and will all be head coaches in a few years. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The reality is a top coordinator becomes a HC. The “ innovative” systems that actually led to SB wins are decades old. 

How about an exhaustive search? If it turns up nothing, fine. As is we are only doing what we are to satisfy the NFL. Meanwhile guys like Monken and Slowik were brought on last year and made massive impacts. Hell, even Bieniemy was available as a potential option. So who are those guys this year? I guess we won't know. Even better, we should be scared of the change right? God help us if somebody knocks us off our Wild Card perch. 

an interesting comment that struck me on the eagles board was that reid had jim johnson for most of his tenure there, and when he left, the wheels fell off. when pedersen had his great success, schwartz was there. and of course reid now with spagnuolo. 

does mcdermott have his johnson or spagnuolo on the other side of the ball? nope he wants a puppet who he can control as an extension of his own limited decision making brain. 

A level coaches hire A level assistants. b level coaches hire c level assistants, so they can maintain control. 

but i don't know what's out there. is there a great candidate we should be hiring? 

47 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

This is a serious problem.  It reminds me of Rex Ryan who wanted his D his way.  I guess the HC has that choice, and the results of McD's D is much better than Rex's.  Still, it takes bandwidth away from the HC hat part of McD's job  for him to be the DC.  I think it is a real problem as no human as unlimited capacity.

As a long-time Bills fan, I have an unlimited capacity for pain and disappointment. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Billl said:

FWIW I heard that Moore was Cleveland’s #1 choice for OC. Also Howie Roseman is probably the best GM in the league and he obviously wanted him too. However I would note that Andrew Berry, Cleveland’s GM, is a Roseman disciple so both being interested in the same guy for OC makes sense. 

Also Moore was the 5th ranked OC according to this season’s NFLPA survey.

Edited by BarleyNY

4 hours ago, NyQuil said:

In other news the Panthers blocked the Giants from interviewing Chris Tabor and then fired him less than 24 hours after they filled the position.

That sucks. I knew Chris when we both lived in Cleveland. He and his family are stellar people. I know it’s a cutthroat business, but he deserved better. I hope he gets to work for a decent owner at some point. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Moore has basically a top 5 offense 3 out of his 5 years in Dallas. He got killed by injuries this year in LA, especially Mike Williams. Fangio consistently has top 10 defenses and dealt with a bunch of injuries this year.

i really struggle to understand why you won’t like this hires. I’d be real happy if the Bills hired guys with similar resumes. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.