Josh officially a finalist for MVP

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Ravens beat the Lions 38-6 and beat the Niners 33-19 this year. They get by KC then they will be the favorites to win it all. 

Works for me.

As long as KC loses, I don't care what happens after that.

Just now, Einstein said:

Works for me.

As long as KC loses, I don't care what happens after that.

I don't want the Ravens to win either. I want them to win this week but not the Super Bowl. Then we will have to hear how LJ is a much better QB than Allen because he has a Super Bowl championship. I will be rooting for the 49ers or Lions in the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I will be rooting for the 49ers or Lions in the Super Bowl.

I know it sounds petty, but I kinda dont want the Lions to win.

It would mean another team getting their first when the Bills still havent.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Irritating thing?

If Allen played the way he does in the playoffs all the time, we would likely get the 1 seed every year and he would win MVP every year.

The guy steps up when it matters. It’s not irritating, it’s a blessing. 

The team needs better talent to surround him with. Then you’ll start seeing all the accolades and trophies that everyone wants to see. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Go back to the Ravens board. 

Truth hurts.

20 hours ago, Einstein said:

How many of Lamar’s MVP’s have led to playoff wins? How many playoff wins did his lack of turnovers lead the Ravens to?

Lamar was 1-4 in the playoffs going into this season.

Allen has won more than double the playoff games Lamar has.

If the Ravens offered Lamar and 5 first round picks for Allen, I would laugh and hang up the phone. Allen > Lamar.

I’m just hoping Lamar can keep it together for 1 more game so I don’t have to see the Chiefs in the Super Bowl.

MVPs are regular season awards.  You know that.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sooo... with the voter already in, does this mean all 5 of these players received votes?

Lest we forget Lamar was unanimous in 2019???

Pretty divisive this year 

They changed the voting system last year.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, Nklaiste1 said:

Is this the weakest list of MVP finalists ever?

Imagine, in a high scoring era like this, where a guy with 29 Total TDs is the front runner.  Yes, this is WEAK.  They should just call it “most popular QB of the year” award.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sooo... with the voter already in, does this mean all 5 of these players received votes?

Lest we forget Lamar was unanimous in 2019???

Pretty divisive this year 

Yes they all received votes. Not necessarily 1st place votes though. 

22 hours ago, Gregg said:

I don't want the Ravens to win either. I want them to win this week but not the Super Bowl. Then we will have to hear how LJ is a much better QB than Allen because he has a Super Bowl championship. I will be rooting for the 49ers or Lions in the Super Bowl.

Burrow is already better than Allen in half the media's eyes because of one Super Bowl loss on his resume. If you don't want the media to gush over Lamar you better start hoping for a Ravens loss tomorrow. And Burrow doesn't even have two league MVP's like Lamar will. 

• Agree 1

It's pretty crazy to me how much group think there appears to be in the MVP voting process. I really don't get it. I'm not saying recent past MVP's didn't deserve their hardware. They absolutely did. But look at the percentage share of votes they get. Last year with the new voting system, Mahomes got 98% of the vote share. It absolutely did not feel like Mahomes season was that decisively above all the other candidates last year. 

Even with the old MVP voting most winners had 80%+ of the votes. Really surprised we don't see more winners in the 60% range. 

It would be a farce if Jackson were to win MVP after today's performance.  If they want to save the reputation of this award I hope they give it to CMC.  In addition to his spectacular regular season with well over 2000 yards in 16 games he has had a very good postseason.  Rushing = 37 carry's for 188 yards and 4 TD's and 11 catches for 72 yards. That's a total of 260 yards from scrimmage and 4 TD's in two playoff games.

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It would be a farce if Jackson were to win MVP after today's performance.  If they want to save the reputation of this award I hope they give it to CMC.  In addition to his spectacular regular season with well over 2000 yards in 16 games he has had a very good postseason.  Rushing = 37 carry's for 188 yards and 4 TD's and 11 catches for 72 yards. That's a total of 260 yards from scrimmage and 4 TD's in two playoff games.

Playoffs don't matter when it comes to MVP voting. It's for the regular season. 

18 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Even so... Lamar shouldn't win. 

I would love a reasonable argument about why Lamar Jackson should win team MVP outside of "best record in the NFL." 

I never said he should win. My point was a playoff game has no bearing on the MVP vote. 

IMO the only 2 that should be up for it are McCaffrey and Stroud. 

So F'ing happy Lamar fell flat. He will go down as the biggest joke of an MVP in my memory. The Ravens signature win was against the 49ers and that was the game that won Lamar the MVP.  And what happened in that game? The Ravens defense intercepted the 49ers QB's five times. Yeah, okay, Tyler Huntley could have won that freaking game. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

I never said he should win. My point was a playoff game has no bearing on the MVP vote. 

IMO the only 2 that should be up for it are McCaffrey and Stroud. 

Why not Allen or Dak? Feel like if we are including Stroud, then Allen and Dak are also both reasonable candidates. Heck, I even think Lamar is a reasonable candidate. I just hate this crap where it seems like according to media (and they are likely right) that Lamar is a shoe-in and will probably win with 80 or 90+ percent of the vote share. To me that is ridiculous. If Lamar wins it should be a close vote. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So F'ing happy Lamar fell flat. He will go down as the biggest joke of an MVP in my memory. The Ravens signature win was against the 49ers and that was the game that won Lamar the MVP.  And what happened in that game? The Ravens defense intercepted the 49ers QB's five times. Yeah, okay, Tyler Huntley could have won that freaking game. 

Why not Allen or Dak? Feel like if we are including Stroud, then Allen and Dak are also both reasonable candidates. Heck, I even think Lamar is a reasonable candidate. I just hate this crap where it seems like according to media (and they are likely right) that Lamar is a shoe-in and will probably win with 80 or 90+ percent of the vote share. To me that is ridiculous. If Lamar wins it should be a close vote. 

Allen has way too many INTs to be in the conversation.  While Dak had good games, he still struggled against winning teams. 

The reasons I pick Stroud he carried a team to a division win that many thought would be a bottom 5 team. Add in him leading in TD to INT ratio, only throwing an INT on 1% of his passes. 

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Allen has way too many INTs to be in the conversation.  While Dak had good games, he still struggled against winning teams. 

The reasons I pick Stroud he carried a team to a division win that many thought would be a bottom 5 team. Add in him leading in TD to INT ratio, only throwing an INT on 1% of his passes. 

Oh for crying out loud.

#1: The guy who's about to win MVP has 13 turnovers to 28 interceptions while Allen has 22 turnovers to 44 TDs... he leads the NFL in TDs, BTW. Plus, Allen leads the NFL in total yards.

Statistically Allen and Lamar have the same production except Allen has moooorrree.

Stroud wouldn't make sense.

McCaffery would but he won't win.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh for crying out loud.

#1: The guy who's about to win MVP has 13 turnovers to 28 interceptions while Allen has 22 turnovers to 44 TDs... he leads the NFL in TDs, BTW. Plus, Allen leads the NFL in total yards.

Statistically Allen and Lamar have the same production except Allen has moooorrree.

Stroud wouldn't make sense.

McCaffery would but he won't win.

I already said Lamar shouldn't get it.   I gave my reasons for why Stroud should. 

My question why do so many dismiss INTs so much? While TDs and Yards matter, so should turnovers. 

If anything an argument can be made for Love for MVP. He was 2nd in passing TDs with 32 and only had 11 INTs. 

It’s unfortunate that they don’t carry mvp votes to include postseason performance, because Lamar absolutely doesn’t deserve it. You can gameplan to shut Lamar down or minimize bis

impact. You can’t gameplan for people like josh, Mahomes and CMC

Josh will simply never win MVP due to bias /agendas on the part of voters dating back to his college/ draft time.  It just is what it is. Laughably so, because he produced the most offense for his team. Objectively the best player on this short list. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

McCaffrey deserves it, but he won’t get it. Statistically,  Allen is the most deserving of all the QBs. 

The mvp award is ridiculous for this reason lol. Mccaffrey and tyreek def deserve it more than Lamar

its more the ‘what qb had a good enough season on the best team’ than who was the most valuable player 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The mvp award is ridiculous for this reason lol. Mccaffrey and tyreek def deserve it more than Lamar

its more the ‘what qb had a good enough season on the best team’ than who was the most valuable player 

Lamar @$52 million a year & being a minority has much to do with all this MVP talk.  Yeah, I said it (wrote it lol). 

Lamar is good. Compared to the top-tier QBs, he's maybe 5th or 6th. But he's not an MVP. 

• Eyeroll 1

I guess my biggest misgiving about Lamar is that his unique talents require that a specific offense be in place to make the best use of those talents -- in terms of scheme, supporting cast, etc. Meanwhile, Josh and Mahomes both transcend any such limitations. You could literally plug either of them into any offense and be set.

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Josh will simply never win MVP due to bias /agendas on the part of voters dating back to his college/ draft time.  It just is what it is. Laughably so, because he produced the most offense for his team. Objectively the best player on this short list. 

This is 10000% correct. He is and has from the time he started playing elite football held to a different standard. 

On 1/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, Roundybout said:

No Mahomes is a surprise but not anything to split hairs over.

Theres no logical reason for Dak to be on here, though 

On 1/25/2024 at 11:17 AM, Lost said:

Why is Dak on the list and not Mahomes?

Why would Mahomes be on the list? He had less yards than every QB above him besides Jackson, a worse passer rating than Dak and Purdy, a worse INT ratio than Dak. Lamar and Purdy, less TDs than Dak, Purdy and Josh.

Dak had a monster season and led the league in passing TDs, was 2nd to Purdy in Passer Rating and QBR, led the league in completion percentage, tied for 3rd in INT ratio behind Stroud and Pickett.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, Lost said:

Why is Dak on the list and not Mahomes?

It is a regular season award and it is pretty clear why the 5 ahead of him should be.  However from watching the playoffs it is hard to argue Mahomes is not the most valuable player in the league.  This award just like all the other subjective awards are kind of a joke but give people something to talk about.  Mahomes is clutch, Lamar is the opposite of that and that counts for a lot in my book.  Josh is also clutch but he has nothing to show for it because the defense consistently lets him down in big spots.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I already said Lamar shouldn't get it.   I gave my reasons for why Stroud should. 

My question why do so many dismiss INTs so much? While TDs and Yards matter, so should turnovers. 

If anything an argument can be made for Love for MVP. He was 2nd in passing TDs with 32 and only had 11 INTs. 

Because TDs are all equally 6 points and advantageous to winning in a significant way, INTs in the other hand are not all equal and in Allen’s case specifically his INTs tend to not be of the back breaking variety 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He should, but he'll probably just be at the award show and just make the whole thing kind of awkward when they give it to Lamar.

If he loses MVP but doesn't get offensive player of the year then I have issue. He should be one or the other if not both. 

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If he loses MVP but doesn't get offensive player of the year then I have issue. He should be one or the other if not both. 

Prepare to be disappointed because he's not even on the short list for OPY. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.