Free agent WR Curtis Samuel

I wonder if he’ll be the Harty replacement next year. Samuel is the type of WR you want running all those WR screens we’ve been calling. 

Doesn’t hurt that Samuel had over 1,000 total yards with Joe Brady and Beane helped draft him in Carolina. 

How would you feel about Samuel and a 1st round WR as the major WR additions?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Decent idea.  Can he run an entire route tree?  Is he a WR, or is he a gadget type?  Harty is signed thru next year, typically only room for 1 gadget player.

He’s like a Deebo Samuel lite. Can do some of the same things but never put it all together due to injuries. Explosive player that plays all over.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder if he’ll be the Harty replacement next year. Samuel is the type of WR you want running all those WR screens we’ve been calling. 

Doesn’t hurt that Samuel had over 1,000 total yards with Joe Brady and Beane helped draft him in Carolina. 

Good idea. I used to love him and would draft him often in fantasy. His injuries though would derail his seasons. But I see he had been relatively healthy now the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Unfortunately these are the types of FA’s we are going to need to swing on.  high upside but some sort of question depressing their market.

I doubt we swing on him.  We already have shakir and Kincaid-  we need an outside guy. Not another of the same who additionally can’t ever stay healthy. 

If we want to pay him 2-3M- maybe but I think it’ll just be a waste of 2-3M 

• Like (+1) 4

ill take him, but there will prolly be a better wr target for the money given we have shakir.  we need a guy to go deep and catch passes on the outside.  he might cost too much, but i'd love to see a tee higgins or some such be added to diggs on the outside.

with kinkaid, cook, and shakir doing what they can in the middle, imo a real guy on the outside puts us over the top.

seeing 16 or 11 lined up outside one on one on 2nd and 3rd down its just a waste imo.  16 got smacked on the hands with two bombs and never came close to making a play.  we can get better than that production out of shorter or any like 5th or 6th round rookie.

Just now, NewEra said:

I doubt we swing on him.  We already have shakir and Kincaid-  we need an outside guy. Not another of the same who additionally can’t ever stay healthy. 

If we want to pay him 2-3M- maybe but I think it’ll just be a waste of 2-3M 

Yeah, maybe he doesn’t fit stylistically.  But I think we are going to have to entice a guy with some question marks to come have a healthy season with Josh Allen on a one year prove it deal, then secure your bag elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Yeah, maybe he doesn’t fit stylistically.  But I think we are going to have to entice a guy with some question marks to come have a healthy season with Josh Allen on a one year prove it deal, then secure your bag elsewhere.

Yeah I hear ya.  I just don’t know if his skill set is something we need.  I’m thinking open up the down field passing game-  Samuel is just more short- rac plays

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I hear ya.  I just don’t know if his skill set is something we need.

Between Shakir and KJ Hamler, we're probably set in the slot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

No.  We can no longer try to fix our WR mess with cast off from other teams.  We need to invest in the position.  

We need to use two of our top 3 picks on WRs and finally, for the first time in Beane’s tenure, have real depth and talent at the position that can be part of the solution long-term.  Samuel is just another band-aid.

I’m really thinking that we are just going to draft a more complete wr in the first and double dip somewhere in the third or fourth round and call it a day. With Diggs likely back, we have some vet leadership for the young guys. 

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Between Shakir and KJ Hamler, we're probably set in the slot.

Hamler has zero catches last year and only 12 the two previous.  This is not some un-polished gem waiting to be discovered.  If he makes this team, Beane has again failed to give Josh the weapons he needs.  

• Agree 1

Even first round pick WRs can take a season or 2 to develop. Look at Quentin Johnston on the Chargers, he was thrust into opportunity this year & still didn't do much. We'll draft one early, but also need to hedge that bet with a FA WR pickup.

Samuel is a good player, but I don't think he fits our need as an outside WR. I fear he'd be like Crowder was here.

24 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

It will be hard to be less productive than Sherfield and Harty's combined stats of 26 catches for 236 and 2 Tds.

Sheffield was a waste of $1.8M, more than Davis gets btw, and had the worst catch% of anyone on the team at 50.0%.

He didn't qualify in the rankings for lack of catches, a self-made problem for him, but of the WRs that did qualify, only four we're worse.  Three of them had crap QBs and the other was a rookie.

We knew this upon signing him, he has a career 55.3% catch%, which is abysmal.  Entirely unreliable as we saw in our last two playoff games.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This organizations and fan base obsession with WR screens is annoying. no more passes at the LOS to WRs. WR's go down the field and catch the balls. they're used to create scheme exploitations, probe weaknesses in coverage, and create a vertical threat. TE's and RB's can be used for these screens - they're cheaper, dime-a-dozen, and much better suited to take this punishment.

Spend the money for WR's on thoroughbreds who go downfield. Let Knox cross the middle or take an easy out pattern, let James Cook take the screens and get pummeled, find a true pass catching RB to run these wheel route screens.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Would love Samuel. But if he even sniffs his Spotrac projected market value of $11.5M/year, then I am not super hopeful. 

yeah, at that price I’d rather find some savings and get Pittman.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Money is the biggest issue. He definitely could fill a need but imagine he looking for WR2 money. 

4 minutes ago, Aross3415 said:

Isn’t Ridley going to be a free agent?? Would be interesting seeing Diggs/Ridley/Shakir..

Ridley going to be way out of our price range unless we clear cap some other way. 

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Money is the biggest issue. He definitely could fill a need but imagine he looking for WR2 money. 

Ridley going to be way out of our price range unless we clear cap some other way. 

Money isn’t an issue for the Bills. They can definitely afford a WR2 in free agency. Even a WR1 if they make some simple moves.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Money isn’t an issue for the Bills. They can definitely afford a WR2 in free agency. Even a WR1 if they make some simple moves.

Agree with this. They can and should sign a dependable WR in FA. This will be diggs last year. You can have the year 1 cap hit be extremely small and then have it increase next year once diggs is off the books. I want to use a day 1 or 2 pick on a wr as well but for everyone just saying double dip in the draft and be done that is crazy. There is a 50-50 shot the draft pick works out. If they struggle in year one your WR situation is worse than this year, a declining diggs, shakir (Davis gone) and 2 rookies 

3 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Are there any other WR2 or WR 1B type of players that bills can pursue?

Yes. Buuuut...

WR 2 or 1B usually gets paid. Stupid money paid. Even John Brown in 2019 got $10 M his first year. I'll use that a

Here is a partial list pending list of UFA's for 2024 from Spotrac and I will try to use their estimated per year average as a base. For reference, they are guessing that Gabe Davis is going to get ~$13.6 M (like I said, stupid money) as the absolute top end of what we could throw in 2024

Most likely out of our price range

Mike Evans

OBJ

Tyler Boyd

Tee Higgins

Michael Pittman Jr.

I put these out here not because I think they are fits, but because this is what the top end of the market will be getting.

Give a call on Day 2 or 3

Curtis Samuel

Nelson Aghalor

Josh Reynolds

Randall Cobb

Calvin Ridley (Higher than Gabe, but I would take a flyer on spending a bit more if no one overpays)

Darnell Mooney

If you seem underwhelmed by those choices,  that's where the market is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I agree with this thought.  One year, career rehabilitation contracts are in order on that side of the ball. 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'd love to land Michael Pittman Jr but think he going to get franchised by the Colts or get big money elsewhere. 

yeah I did a list a little ways up. If any of the top guys isn't on a team Day 1 I should the Bill should take a sniff. But I doubt it. Pittman was on that list.

15 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

yeah I did a list a little ways up. If any of the top guys isn't on a team Day 1 I should the Bill should take a sniff. But I doubt it. Pittman was on that list.

Not a horrible list except for Cobb. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

this would be a typical Beane move (Crowder, Brown 2.0, Beasley 2.0, Sanders, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams, Terelle Pryor, Deonte Thompson, Andre Holmes).

If WRs are calling, keep him away from the phone...

Those names are all over the place, not sure what you mean? Yes this would be similar to a Brown or Beasley signing. As he has production but not top level production. Are you saying Brown and Beasley were bad signings? Sanders was an aging vet signing. 

Samuel is 4.3 speed WR that can play everywhere on the field. He fits what Joe Brady does as an OC. Also it wouldn't prevent a 1st round rookie from getting on the field. Gives the Bills an explosive play maker.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Hamler has zero catches last year and only 12 the two previous.  This is not some un-polished gem waiting to be discovered.  If he makes this team, Beane has again failed to give Josh the weapons he needs.  

Agreed. If they are going to do something with Hamler I’d rather they took a chance on someone like UFA Darnell Mooney who is bigger and just as fast. He also already has a 1000 yard season with the Bears, unlike Hamler, and he gets separation. Only 26. Personally id like a vet to go with the rook they will draft. Unlike the other guys in FA he’d be very affordable I think given he still has something to prove after a down 2023. 

2 hours ago, Aross3415 said:

Isn’t Ridley going to be a free agent?? Would be interesting seeing Diggs/Ridley/Shakir..

I dont think he is a McD kind of guy. Plus he will be expensive given his proven ability when he feels like playing.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Those names are all over the place, not sure what you mean? Yes this would be similar to a Brown or Beasley signing. As he has production but not top level production. Are you saying Brown and Beasley were bad signings? Sanders was an aging vet signing. 

Samuel is 4.3 speed WR that can play everywhere on the field. He fits what Joe Brady does as an OC. Also it wouldn't prevent a 1st round rookie from getting on the field. Gives the Bills an explosive play maker.

The WR free agent signings stunk.  Beasley "2.0" and Brown "2.0" were bizarre and useless pickups, yes.

4.3 was a long time ago for Samuel.  He's a bad team's WR2/3 kind of guy.  Not very explosive--4 YAC, 9.9 YPR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.