How about the D-line? 1 sack in two playoff games

Process

Sure we were beat up in the back 7, but the d line was fully healthy. McBeane has been absolutely relentless in pouring resources into the d line since they stepped foot in Buffalo. I don't think they came close to sniffing Mahomes tonight. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Process said:

Sure we were beat up in the back 7, but the d line was fully healthy. McBeane has been absolutely relentless in pouring resources into the d line since they stepped foot in Buffalo. I don't think they came close to sniffing Mahomes tonight. 

They had him a few times, the one time he rushed for a yard or no gain on 3rd down.  The other time he escaped and threw it away.  But yeah, by and in large, tremendously dissapointing effort from them when we needed them most with how beat up they were in the back 7.

• Like (+1) 3

He was getting the ball out as soon as he hit his drop all night.

On the rare occasions our coverage was solid, he was quick to get out of there.

There were very limited opportunities for the pass rush to be effective and a big reason for that is that we were missing both our starting LB's, both our starting corners and Rasul was out there with a peg leg. You can't expect a DL to get home consistently in 2 seconds or less when there are guys running free all through the secondary.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 6

I haven’t seen AJ since October.  

Rousseau is mid.  

Oliver is a beast.  Same Jones.  But the interior of the KC line dominated them. 

Creed Humphrey is one of the 3 best centers in the league. 

Our DEs are a massive problem.  You can’t win SB with mid DEs. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

There were very limited opportunities for the pass rush to be effective and a big reason for that is that we were missing both our starting LB's, both our starting corners and Rasul was out there with a peg leg. You can't expect a DL to get home consistently in 2 seconds or less.

All the more reason it's pointless invest so heavily in a DL when elite QBs will pick you apart anyway.   

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Lost said:

All the more reason it's pointless invest so heavily in a DL when elite QBs will pick you apart anyway.   

If they have a healthy back 7 that can holds its coverage for one more second, then that DL can be a difference maker.

They didn't have that tonight.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t know, but if we use another first round, pick on the defensive lineman, I’m gonna lose my goddamn mind

Stop putting Band-Aids on this and get NFL actually can separate caliber wide receivers out there

Those guys aren’t just found in RD 1.  

D line - of which we have 3 guys under contract - is going to be priority right there with another WR.  

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Those guys aren’t just found in RD 1.  

D line - of which we have 3 guys under contract - is going to be priority right there with another WR.  

Because we do a good enough job of finding those guys in free agency, and we rotate them as it is

It’s not a good value of draft capital

Dalton Kincaid had over 70 catches this year and was an incredible find. Keep it going.

• Like (+1) 1

Rousseau unfortunately did not have the breakout season that I expected him to have this year. He is possibly the best run stopping DE in the league and has been since his rookie season, but his pass rushing has not developed. 6.0 sacks in 18 games played is not what you hope for from a 1st rounder in his 3rd season.

I saw a stat that tonight was the first game since 2021 that Oliver had 0 pressures. The Chiefs have the best IOL in the league so this was somewhat expected. We needed our edge rushers to make an impact and it just didn't happen.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yeah, but we have had Boogie Basham! Drafted a few picks before Humphrey.

(this comment is obligatory whenever Creed Humphrey is mentioned)

In some alternative universe, Creed Humphrey is still snapping the ball to Patrick Mahomes, but both are in Bills uniforms.

• Like (+1) 1

Our defensive front fails us every year in the playoffs. Especially against the elite QB’s. I’m not a fan of rotating the lineman in the playoffs. Find your best 4 and get after the damn QB. They are the biggest reason we lost today. No sacks. 2 QB hits. They did nothing to make Mahomes uncomfortable 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Rousseau is mid.  

Oliver is a beast.  Same Jones.  But the interior of the KC line dominated them. 

KC has mid DE’s

Just now, SCBills said:

KC has mid DE’s

Karlaftis had 10 sacks and Jones moves around.  

KC has a great secondary and great DC that knows how to use them.  

Also, they’re lucky to be here (Mahomes) and are going to get curb stomped by Baltimore.  

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Rousseau unfortunately did not have the breakout season that I expected him to have this year. He is possibly the best run stopping DE in the league and has been since his rookie season, but his pass rushing has not developed. 6.0 sacks in 18 games played is not what you hope for from a 1st rounder in his 3rd season.

I saw a stat that tonight was the first game since 2021 that Oliver had 0 pressures. The Chiefs have the best IOL in the league so this was somewhat expected. We needed our edge rushers to make an impact and it just didn't happen.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Rousseau is mid.  

Very disappointed in Rousseau. He hasn’t been the impact player they thought he would be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

There were very limited opportunities for the pass rush to be effective and a big reason for that is that we were missing both our starting LB's, both our starting corners and Rasul was out there with a peg leg. You can't expect a DL to get home consistently in 2 seconds or less when there are guys running free all through the secondary.

They were getting pushed around in the run game as well.  

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I don’t know, but if we use another first round, pick on the defensive lineman, I’m gonna lose my goddamn mind

Stop putting Band-Aids on this and get NFL actually can separate caliber wide receivers out there

I'd settle for WRs that can actually catch the damn ball. Shakir is the only one I actually trust now. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Karlaftis had 10 sacks and Jones moves around.  

KC has a great secondary and great DC that knows how to use them.  

Also, they’re lucky to be here (Mahomes) and are going to get curb stomped by Baltimore.  

Floyd did the same and most of Karlaftis sacks are clean up sacks from Jones. 

They have Chris Jones.  Without him, their DL would be one of the worst in the league. 

I agree that the DC and Secondary greatly helps them. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Defensive End is probably a bigger need than WR IMO. Zero sacks on Mahomes and only 2 QB hits They need a playmaker on the edge. Von Miller is old. Greg Rosseasu hasn’t lived up to his draft status and Floyd/AJ might leave in FA

• Disagree 2

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

Defensive End is probably a bigger need than WR IMO. Zero sacks on Mahomes and only 2 QB hits They need a playmaker on the edge. Von Miller is old. Greg Rosseasu hasn’t lived up to his draft status and Floyd/AJ might leave in FA

Yes, drafting defensive ends has worked so well for us

• Like (+1) 1

How does Rousseau compare to Phil Hansen? I wasn’t around to watch Bruce’s running mate. Rousseau needs a Bruce Smith on the other side of him. A Myles Garrett or even a smallish Dwight Freeney type of player, but someone who can close the deal quickly.

Eric Washington needs to be gone.  This d line was terrible. Oliver had 0 pressures. Hasn’t happened since ‘21.  No significant plays or sacks once again against a foe you know well.  This all goes back to mcd and failed performances in big games.  Kelce , who was running free at times, w two tds tonight and had never done that all season. How does that stuff happen?  No defensive stops till we were behind and had given up 27 points.  Throw in crazy fake punt, allowing an obviously injured punter to kick and hold , wasted time outs , bad penalties , kc running  easily with no answer but Spags stopped cook w run blitzes.   Outcoached , again. 

I could go on. It’s not about winning the afc east. Believe me as a fan since ‘63 , this is the best qb this franchise may ever have  , yet we have not even appeared in a SINGLE Super Bowl. Also , the TEXANS reached the same level this year w a rookie qb and head coach; let that sink in.   MCD and this scheme has reached its pinnacle ; it’s about winning a SB. Who cares if you change and don’t succeed, you at least tried to pursue something other than what is/ has been failing! . It’s because of mcd’s scheme and d line requirements that we have wasted d line picks ( boogie etc) and are in this cap mess with Von because the draft picks never produced. . That spills over into not paying enough attention to giving josh adequate receivers , like our two terrible Miami FA’S .   It’s 7 years of butterfly effects now and a guy who cant get past Reid when it matters.  Losing home playoff games is inexcusable. Its yet  SIGNATURE LOSS under MCD ! 

KC  appearing in 6 straight AFC title games; MCD luckily got into one.  I don’t care about the 5 game streak to get in; it was the horrific losses to bad teams that got us in that situation in the first place.  7 years , it is what it is , a good but not great team that is wasting time now and wasting a once in a lifetime franchise qb’s presence. There are too many good coaches available ,like harbaugh, to just bury your head and stick with the status quo. The d line is just one obvious issue , we need to look at 7 years of results and move  ahead accordingly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Rousseau is mid.  

Are DE'S are incredibly mediocre.  Even Floyd quieted down toward the end of the season. I'm letting AJ walk. Probably not resigning Floyd. Gotta keep DQ since these other DT's are awful.  Dump Lawson & Phillips once and for all. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The chiefs got the best oline in the league and the besr defense and what do we have exactly? 

Josh. Thats it. Mcdermott/bean are frauds

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.