Fake punt!?

1 hour ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Unfortunately you have to punt it in that situation but our punter was also 50% out there which is another head scratcher. Guy shanking punts left and right 

Why do you have to punt on 4th and 5?  At half field it's almost a guarantee you stay out and go for it, but 20 yards back it isn't an option?  I agree that we needed to keep the ball, but there is no way a called fake punt (versus an audible based on coverage) is a better option than just keeping Josh out on the field.      

10 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Maybe the worst call I’ve ever seen. You can’t tell me that McD’s personal beliefs weren’t involved with giving that play the OK. That alone was a fireable play 

Here we go !! The call was made because the Chiefs had 10 guys on the field and probably 8 out of 10 HC's in the league would have done the same thing .

If it worked they would have been a genius but because it didn't well here we are once again ... 🙄

10 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I dont mind it as a call. But Damar Hamlin getting the ball?

10 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah that was dumb. You have Josh on the team but you give it to Hamlin. Should have just punted anyways. 

Ahhhh, but put on your "more money" NFL hat for a moment.  If that play had worked, to Hamlin in particular, and the Bills went on to win, just imagine the feel good stories that we would be reading today.  I have no way of knowing if that was thought about pre game, or even at the heat of the moment. But why in the world else do you get it to Hamlin with that game on the line.

36 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Ahhhh, but put on your "more money" NFL hat for a moment.  If that play had worked, to Hamlin in particular, and the Bills went on to win, just imagine the feel good stories that we would be reading today.  I have no way of knowing if that was thought about pre game, or even at the heat of the moment. But why in the world else do you get it to Hamlin with that game on the line.

Yeah it really does seem like what you're saying

2 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

One has to wonder how bad Haack looked for them to choose to go with Martin.

certainly couldn’t have gone with araiza- he had no experience shanking kicks in the playoffs 

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Some people will never be happy.  

Our D couldn’t stop them at all.  So he goes for it on 4th down.  Which is what this board has been begging for for years.  

Agreed. Martin was hobbled. The defense was broken and beaten. 

My biggest issue was taking Allen of the field. If we’re going to go for it put it in the hands of your best player. Line up and make them stop Josh Allen.

The irony of how McDermott harped ALL SEASON about Josh's turnovers and "complementary football," and then he basically walks up to the roulette wheel and puts it all on 00.

So hypocritical for a guy to criticize poor decisionmaking, then watch your QB make just about every right decision for weeks on end, and then you pull that.

But hey, at least he knows how to clap before shaking Andy Reid's hand while wishing him luck in the Championship Game.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

It wasn't as if the Bills were going to be able to stop Mahomes and the Chiefs.  He probably figured they had to score to keep up.  

And our punter was capable of maybe moving the ball 30 yards assuming no return.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

And our punter was capable of maybe moving the ball 30 yards assuming no return.

Townsend did punt. The defense did force a turnover. Yes if you run the %'s for 8 or 9 drives the rate sucks...but if you were to consider that maybe KC would be 50% success rate on the night against the defense, it may have been the drive where Hochuli pulled his head out of his a** and called Humphrey or Thuney for their incessant holding.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Here we go !! The call was made because the Chiefs had 10 guys on the field and probably 8 out of 10 HC's in the league would have done the same thing .

If it worked they would have been a genius but because it didn't well here we are once again ... 🙄

No it wasn’t. It was a called play 

The fake punt was so dumb I actually LOL'd in my family room watching it.  I can see a 4th and 1, maybe?  But he had so far to run.  It's almost like McD or whoever called it wanted to create a Damar Hamlin moment to show on the ESPY's as the Bills use the fake punt to win the game and go on to win the SB.

I hated it, and was so happy that we got the touchback and didn't have to point to that play as the reason we lost.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I much dumber call was the FG.  You basically forfeited with that decisions.

Bass misses that 9/10 times.

Even if he makes it, KC easily scores to go ahead again

Even if we get lucky twice, its still only a tie, and KC easily scores in OT.

So yea, that 4th and 9 FG was basically the Bills forfeiting the game and the only real coaching blunder from last night. 

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The fake punt was so dumb I actually LOL'd in my family room watching it.  I can see a 4th and 1, maybe?  But he had so far to run.  It's almost like McD or whoever called it wanted to create a Damar Hamlin moment to show on the ESPY's as the Bills use the fake punt to win the game and go on to win the SB.

I hated it, and was so happy that we got the touchback and didn't have to point to that play as the reason we lost.

It was crazy to go for it, but if you are going to do that at least go down swinging and put the ball in Allen's hands. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You can’t go for 4th and 5 from your own 30 with 8 minutes left down 3. Fake punt only real option if you don’t wanna give ball back to mahomes.  Hated the result but liked that mcdermott showed some onions there.  

why can you go for the fake but not with the offense other than worrying about perception?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I was sooo angry at the fake punt. I was done. Completely done. I hope KC would score - which they did until the "fumble" at the 1" goal line. We got bailed out. McD got bailed. If that touchback didn't happen I think we are all saying fake punt + FIRE HIM!

It changed the game. We were done after that. You could see it in our players body language. Dumbest play in NFL this season for sure.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I was sooo angry at the fake punt. I was done. Completely done. I hope KC would score - which they did until the "fumble" at the 1" goal line. We got bailed out. McD got bailed. If that touchback didn't happen I think we are all saying fake punt + FIRE HIM!

It changed the game. We were done after that. You could see it in our players body language. Dumbest play in NFL this season for sure.

Except for the fact the D made a stop there at the end to get the ball back to Josh, who then led the offense down the field to almost tie the game if it weren’t for Bass, your theory about the players’ body language is spot on.  Or not.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The call was fine but it was clear they hadn't practiced that play very often.  Smiley should not be employed by an NFL team.

I disagree.  I think he did a pretty amazing job with the D considering the endless tidal wave of injuries.

No issues as a DC, but at HC he has some glaring deficiencies.  

Edited by CodeMonkey

36 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I disagree.  I think he did a pretty amazing job with the D considering the endless tidal wave of injuries.

No issues as a DC, but at HC he has some glaring deficiencies.  

They are referring to Smiley, the special teams coach... not Clappy, the head coach.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I mean, when you could have Josh Allen have the ball in his hands or Damar Hamlin, pick Hamlin.  Makes perfect sense

Josh Allen isn’t on the punt unit.

KC had 10 on the field, fake was a good call.

Fake going to freaking Hamlin was not. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Josh Allen isn’t on the punt unit.

KC had 10 on the field, fake was a good call.

Fake going to freaking Hamlin was not. 

Yea maybe next season, the up back should be a reserve RB.  someone who knows how to run!

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The call was fine but it was clear they hadn't practiced that play very often.  Smiley should not be employed by an NFL team.

The call wasn't fine. If I'm KC, my view would be this: the Buffalo punter has already demonstrated that he's a liability, and if they're ever going to run a fake, it's going to be in a somewhat desperate situation when they're fielding an unreliable kicker. And KC was of course ready for it. Also, giving it to a scrub who needed to get five yards? If you're going for it, give it to Josh Allen.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The call wasn't fine. If I'm KC, the Buffalo punter has already demonstrated that he's a liability, and if they're ever going to run a fake, it's going to be when they're fielding an unreliable kicker. And giving it to a scrub who needed to get five yards? If you're going for it, give it to Josh Allen.

I don't think they were going for it until they realized KC had 10 men on the field.  I could be wrong, but that's what I understood.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't think they were going for it until they realized KC had 10 men on the field.  I could be wrong, but that's what I understood.

Plays to scrubs can be stopped with 10 men if you're looking for it. And they appeared to be. 

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

to be fair, kc could’ve been on high alert for fakes even if that was the reason for this fake 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think they already confirmed the play was called before they knew KC only had 10 on the field. That was the call from the start. Very aggressive call. Giving it to Damar makes it a stupid call. You at least give it to someone like Ty Johnson, Harty or even Isabella. 

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

Some people will never be happy.  

Our D couldn’t stop them at all.  So he goes for it on 4th down.  Which is what this board has been begging for for years.  

From your own 30, down only 3 in the 4th qtr, at home?! Umm, not only no, but Hell NO! It was an absolutely terrible call.

Also, making Martin the active punter for the game was just as terrible. I'd bet the farm that Matt Araiza would have been able to flip the field in that game. Another front office blunder.

But McD & Beane deserve more years to get it right! 🙄

3 hours ago, T master said:

The call was made on the sideline BEFORE the teams trotted out and got set, just FYI. 😉 So the "they only had 10 men out there" narrative is BS.

7 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

From your own 30, down only 3 in the 4th qtr, at home?! Umm, not only no, but Hell NO! It was an absolutely terrible call.

Also, making Martin the active punter for the game was just as terrible. I'd bet the farm that Matt Araiza would have been able to flip the field in that game. Another front office blunder.

But McD & Beane deserve more years to get it right! 🙄

The call was made on the sideline BEFORE the teams trotted out and got set, just FYI. 😉 So the "they only had 10 men out there" narrative is BS.

So were you standing there and heard McD make the call before they went out or are you a lip reader just wondering how you know exactly what went down on that side line ? Enlighten me please to know that i am speaking BS . Thanks appreciate it .

I'm not saying i liked the call but if it would have worked you & many others would have been 🤔 you would have still B**Ched about something .

Edited by T master
  • Haha (+1) 1

McD says it was an “Element of surprise”…

Thats about right. Surprised that someone would be that moronic to give the ball to Hamlin. 

Posted in another thread but the only reason you run that play is for Damar to continue the shred of a chance he has to win Comeback Player of the Year

Edited by BBFL

I think sam Martin's injury factored in to McD decision.  We all saw that garbage punt from sam martin.  

Makes me wonder if bills went into the game planning to only punt on extreme situations do to Martin's injury.  And that's why they preplannd that play

It does not matter who called it or who schemed this up on the white board,  Damar should never been allowed to sniff the the ball on that play.

He is what 200lbs and has no speed or agility to fight to get 5 yards much less break any tackles.

The love affair with Damar and this team needs to end next year too. We need players that can contribute on the field,  not more social media poster material.

Sorry but the truth hurts sometimes.  Not being nasty, I wish him well and we need to let him go next year.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Toyo321 said:

It does not matter who called it or who schemed this up on the white board,  Damar should never been allowed to sniff the the ball on that play.

He is what 200lbs and has no speed or agility to fight to get 5 yards much less break any tackles.

The love affair with Damar and this team needs to end next year too. We need players that can contribute on the field,  not more social media poster material.

Sorry but the truth hurts sometimes.  Not being nasty, I wish him well and we need to let him go next year.

He is (thankfully) what he was. A pretty marginal safety who works hard and is a good teammate. Not a guy you want to play if you don't have to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.