Where does this regime go from here?

HappyDays

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This was the weakest version of the Chiefs that we will probably ever see under Mahomes.

We got them in our stadium.

We had an all-world Josh Allen performance. Mahomes missed 2 TD passes.

We got lucky with a fumble through the end zone saving the game for us.

And it still wasn't enough to get it done.

I felt all along like it had to be this year that we beat the Chiefs to give fans some kind of confidence that this regime could get over that hump. After today, can we honestly be confident that this regime will ever take us to the promised land?

That means McDermott AND Beane by the way. Defensive coaching in this game was awful. And ultimately poor WR play was once again our biggest issue on offense, after years of under investing in the position.

I don't know man. I can't even find it in me to feel hopeful about next year with the same guys in charge.

There is no reason for you to feel hopeful unless we see the Bills brain trust aggressively work to add more weapons to the O.  Pegula will not move on from McD even though some of the top offensive minds in the NFL would love to get a shot at coaching Allen. So our one and only hope is that they pivot and focus on adding more high end skill players through the draft and FA.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It was play calling. Too stupid and conservative at times. We should have thrown and kept doing the stupid side run with Cook

we often have inconsistent philosophy 

like waiting on the two minute warning to burn clock - to a level that we didn’t even line up the offense….  Followed by end zone shots

like was the goal there to give kc as close to 2 full minutes to ensure Buffalo wouldn’t have another real possession if kc scored?

This regime is toast

Nobody believes they can get us over the hump, and with good reason. The data is there, and so is the history.

The Bills are not a legitimate threat from next season on, and there's no argument otherwise. 

The tone of the fanbase will be much different next season if McDermott is back. Nobody will actually billieve that this team has what it takes, and that is a bad place to be in as an organization. 

Your move, Terry

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills need to lean in hard on a complete re-vamp of the WR corps.

This offense would be deadly with 2 more high quality WR's, one with size and physicality, and one with top-shelf breakaway speed.

Xavier Leggette or Xavier Worthy in the first round would be feasible options where the Bills pick plus one more in rounds 2-4 pending on who is available.

If the Bills hit on those 2 WR picks, along with Cook, Kincaid, Shakir, and Diggs, plus the same O-line....we could be looking at a high powered Offense once again.

12 minutes ago, chongli said:

My thoughts on the O. 

The philosophy wasn’t just “run the ball.”

The philosophy was attack the opponents weakness and try not to attempt against their strength what our guys suck at doing.  

We didn’t want to throw 40 times vs Dallas bc they are good against the pass and we don’t have the WRs. 

Same thing vs KC.  And we’re going to throw it more to RBs.  

And it worked.  We went 7-1.  We beat elite defenses and moved the ball and scored at will vs Dallas, the Jets, the Chiefs, and to some extent Pittsburgh.  

We are an elite WR away (Diggs is now a #2) from being near unstoppable - and that’s just if Allen doesn’t turn the ball over.   No need for hero ball.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Kidding, I remember debating with posters prior about McD @FireChans was dunking on that wild card win and dismissing Tomlin. @FireChans where you at bud? Did you get your 4 time AFC east champs tat on your lower back? 

Another year, another playoff win. We have more playoff wins this season than Tomlin does since 2016. 

Bang bang.

We definitely caught some lucky breaks in this game that should have been enough for us to get the win, but I don't really agree with the idea that this is the weakest Chiefs team we'll ever see or that this is the best chance we'll ever have. Sounds like Kelce is likely retiring after this season; that will obviously be a gigantic hole for KC to fill and they haven't exactly done a good job identifying receivers for Mahomes lately. And just generally speaking, it's difficult to maintain elite defenses year after year; KC's was great this season. They may or may not be great moving forwards.

We obviously have some issues to iron out ourselves. It's entirely possible that our roster will decline from here on out, but we'll also be getting back what feels like 10 starters on our defense that we didn't have this postseason.

I’d fire McDermott, but they won’t so…

Get Allen two high level WR’s in the Draft.  Go RD1 & RD2 .. I don’t care. 

OL comes back, re-sign Ty Johnson to go with Cook. 

Take a machete to the defense and tell McDermott to show that he can do more with less.   Extend Daquan Jones and use the rest of the Draft, with value FA’s to fill out DL & Secondary. 

Rousseau-Jones-Oliver-Von-Jonathan

Bernard - Milano - Williams

Johnson

Douglas - Benford/Elam

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NyQuil said:

I'm lessening my investment next season. This franchise just can't get it right.

Even if they do, another set of season ending injuries will ***** their defense.

Funny you say that. I'm seriously considering not getting Sunday ticket.  Can't tape the games anymore.  Not paying extra for youtube TV.  For all I know all these games will be on individual pay per view streaming. The Peacock experience was terrible. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I’d fire McDermott, but they won’t so…

Get Allen two high level WR’s in the Draft.  Go RD1 & RD2 .. I don’t care. 

OL comes back, re-sign Ty Johnson to go with Cook. 

Take a machete to the defense and tell McDermott to show that he can do more with less.   Extend Daquan Jones and use the rest of the Draft, with value FA’s to fill out DL & Secondary. 

Rousseau-Jones-Oliver-Von-Jonathan

Bernard - Milano - Williams

Johnson

Douglas - Benford/Elam

I like everything except for the keeping McDermott part.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

Beane is as much, if not more, of a problem as McDermott.  He seems to skate by without real criticism 

Agreed. Due to the cap hits Bass, Miller, Knox and Diggs are back next season. Add in the free agents leaving and little cap space they look to be heading towards a few down seasons. This season was their chance with this core of players. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

We definitely caught some lucky breaks in this game that should have been enough for us to get the win, but I don't really agree with the idea that this is the weakest Chiefs team we'll ever see or that this is the best chance we'll ever have. Sounds like Kelce is likely retiring after this season; that will obviously be a gigantic hole for KC to fill and they haven't exactly done a good job identifying receivers for Mahomes lately. And just generally speaking, it's difficult to maintain elite defenses year after year; KC's was great this season. They may or may not be great moving forwards.

The Chiefs intentionally spent the past two offseasons taking their medicine so that they could prepare their cap situation for the future. This coming offseason they have a ton of cap space ($51 million, with the usual caveat that they will need to re-sign some of their own players) and I suspect they will go all out to get a WR given what they went through at that position this year.

Also I posted this in another thread:

So the game script for the Bills really could not have been any better, at least on offense. It was in fact a historically great game script. And still we could not find a way to beat Mahomes and Reid.

So I struggle to find any reason to believe this regime is suddenly going to find a way to beat the Chiefs in what are likely to be much worse circumstances. And that's before accounting for things like Burrow returning from injury, the Texans continuing to build around Stroud, etc. This was probably the best shot at an AFC title that we'll have for a long time and we blew it.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs intentionally spent the past two offseasons taking their medicine so that they could prepare their cap situation for the future. This coming offseason they have a ton of cap space ($51 million, with the usual caveat that they will need to re-sign some of their own players) and I suspect they will go all out to get a WR given what they went through at that position this year.

Also I posted this in another thread:

So the game script for the Bills really could not have been any better, at least on offense. It was in fact a historically great game script. And still we could not find a way to beat Mahomes and Reid.

So I struggle to find any reason to believe this regime is suddenly going to find a way to beat the Chiefs in what are likely to be much worse circumstances. And that's before accounting for things like Burrow returning from injury, the Texans continuing to build around Stroud, etc. This was probably the best shot at an AFC title that we'll have for a long time and we blew it.

I just don't buy the theory that the season in which basically our entire starting defense was out or wounded is our best opportunity. I think the 13 seconds season was easily our best chance in the Allen era. This season the entire league has been wide open with the possible exception of Baltimore, so yeah, if we were healthy, I would be absolutely devastated that we couldn't get it done again. But as is, it was a minor miracle that we even made it here to begin with. Assuming we aren't a cursed franchise, we should be better next season than we were this year. KC might be better too; we'll see. They may no longer be the biggest threat in the AFC anyways.

24 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Beane is as much, if not more, of a problem as McDermott.  He seems to skate by without real criticism 

I think Beane is towards the higher end of GM’s, but he has blind spots that are becoming increasingly worrisome. 

If he doesn’t majorly address WR this year, after two years of it being an issue, I may come around to your side. 

3 hours ago, boyst said:

The chiefs have a lot to do on the next two seasons to maintain. Kelce is going to retire. The defense is going to sink money in to some players and they won't have enough targets for mahomes. 

As long as Patrick and Andy are there, the rest won't matter.  Hill leaves, they still dominate.  Kelce drops off a little with TaTa distractions, they still dominate.  After Kelce retires,  Andy will just reload with amazing drafted wrs for Kermit.  So ironic the Bills are the ones who handed Mahomes to Andy on a silver platter.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As long as Patrick and Andy are there, the rest won't matter.  Hill leaves, they still dominate.  Kelce drops off a little with TaTa distractions, they still dominate.  After Kelce retires,  Andy will just reload with amazing drafted wrs for Kermit.  So ironic the Bills are the ones who handed Mahomes to Andy on a silver platter.

In fairness, I don’t think their drafts have been way better than ours of recent. 

They look to have missed on Skyy Moore, traded a pick for Toney, the DE they just drafted can’t get on the field and Karlaftis is a less athletic Rousseau.

They nailed their secondary though.. and McDuffie vs Elam is really the difference between them and us with Benford’s success vs their young safety who’s been injured and platoon corners. 

Our head coach is not ***** cutting it.   We have 1 if the best qbs to ever play this game and we can not make it to the AFCC, much less a SB.  Get this ***** coach put of here asap and bring in an offensive mind before Josh Allen ruins his ***** career under Shaun ***** Mcfailure

3 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Philip Rivers should consider himself lucky if Josh let's him hold his jock strap on the golf course some time.

Honestly I get the comparison, but Rivers was never one of the top 2 quarterbacks in the league EVER in his career.

No he's only 6th all time in passing yards and 6th all time in passing TD's, will most likely be a 1st ballot hall of famer, he was a real bum that guy!

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Feel depleted.  Not much hope for next year with McDermott coaching again.  We get booted out of the playoffs every year early with one of the best qbs to ever play the game.  Our coaching is severely lacking

this team was ready.  two biggest plays were another drop by cook that should've been a TD (again) and missed FG.  can't coach those.  both players should be traded/released.  also Sherfield's drop and Diggs not showing up.  We need a #1 WR, a new kicker, punter and LB depth.  Not a new coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.