Where does this regime go from here?

HappyDays

This was the weakest version of the Chiefs that we will probably ever see under Mahomes.

We got them in our stadium.

We had an all-world Josh Allen performance. Mahomes missed 2 TD passes.

We got lucky with a fumble through the end zone saving the game for us.

And it still wasn't enough to get it done.

I felt all along like it had to be this year that we beat the Chiefs to give fans some kind of confidence that this regime could get over that hump. After today, can we honestly be confident that this regime will ever take us to the promised land?

That means McDermott AND Beane by the way. Defensive coaching in this game was awful. And ultimately poor WR play was once again our biggest issue on offense, after years of under investing in the position.

I don't know man. I can't even find it in me to feel hopeful about next year with the same guys in charge.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The chiefs have a lot to do on the next two seasons to maintain. Kelce is going to retire. The defense is going to sink money in to some players and they won't have enough targets for mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm lessening my investment next season. This franchise just can't get it right.

Even if they do, another set of season ending injuries will ***** their defense.

Edited by NyQuil
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brady becomes the official OC gets a full offseason doing it. Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook get bigger roles in the offense, maybe somebody buys Cook a jugs machine. Defense gets Milano, Benford, and White back. We're probably going to take a WR high in the draft to replace Gabe and to come up behind Diggs who hopefully gets healthy because he doesn't seem right.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Ultimately it comes down to coaching. Even at the end. McD knows that Bass is struggling and so does Brady. Why did we even kick there?? ? Even if Bass gets the FG we probably lose this game because the Chiefs get into winning FG range easily when they get the ball back. Once we didnt get the touchdown we lost.

McD just isnt up to the job when it comes to these high stress crucial decisions.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

The chiefs have a lot to do on the next two seasons to maintain. Kelce is going to retire. The defense is going to sink money in to some players and they won't have enough targets for mahomes. 

If that Kelce thing is true, Chris Jones definitely seems to be planning on being elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was the weakest version of the Chiefs that we will probably ever see under Mahomes.

I felt all along like it had to be this year that we beat the Chiefs to give fans some kind of confidence that this regime could get over that hump. After today, can we honestly be confident that this regime will ever take us to the promised land?

That means McDermott AND Beane by the way. Defensive coaching in this game was awful. And ultimately poor WR play was once again our biggest issue on offense, after years of under investing in the position.

I don't know man. I can't even find it in me to feel hopeful about next year with the same guys in charge.

This team is simply cursed.  I don't know what else to say.  We are the San Diego Chargers under Philip Rivers at this point.

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The unemployment line is my choice.

The 13 seconds season was the best chance to win the Super Bowl.....

Josh tried to play hero ball on his last two throws instead of taking the short stuff....a TD was needed on that drive to win the game. Even if the FG was good, how confident would you have been that the Chiefs would not have scored in the last minute forty five seconds.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 2

This team will be a shell of what they were this year.  The Salary CAP monster is coming for this team next year and a lot of bodies will not be here next year.

It will definitely be a the start of a mini rebuild with both safeties gone, wide receivers need to be completely over hauled and the D is just a hodgepodge of talent the has proven to be a under performing group when it matters.

Once again all the money spent on the D Line and not one SACK!!!!  

Pathetic.....

McD is also not the answer either.  He has had 7 years and no more leniency should be tolerated towards him and this team.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

There is a coach out there that knows how to win superbowls with a great QB and is a defensive genius . . . . The same guy probably would like to stick it to his old team as well.

Just saying . . . .

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Brady becomes the official OC gets a full offseason doing it. Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook get bigger roles in the offense, maybe somebody buys Cook a jugs machine. Defense gets Milano, Benford, and White back. We're probably going to take a WR high in the draft to replace Gabe and to come up behind Diggs who hopefully gets healthy because he doesn't seem right.

Idk if those guys will be back early. 

McDermott got outreached by a better HC.  It's always going to happen in a big game like this; the bad teams with lousy HCs don't play in January.

It's been time for a couple of years to get a new HC.

The market is as strong as it's been in a decade.

Go get one and do things differently.

This is obvious.  Will Pegula do it?  I don't think so.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

The loss sucks but we will all be back here next September including McDermott, Beane and Brady.

For me as long as they keep putting top resources into the offense like they did with Cooks, Kincaid and Torrence I will believe we can break through. Need a big influx of talent at WR next year since it will be Diggs last and he has shriveled in big playoff games here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Need new life on the coaching staff I know McD is not going anywhere but the special teams coach needs to go. Need to get an established OC. Need to open up the kicking game. Definitely need a WR1. If there is anyway to get rid of Diggs he has to go. Not that I want to keep Davis but  I would rather keep him as a number 2 or 3 another year instead of Diggs as WR1. 

The team will take a step back due to the cap but they should still be able to compete for the division as long as Tua is in Miami. 

11 minutes ago, Special K said:

Josh tried to play hero ball on his last two throws instead of taking the short stuff

Throwing that route to Shakir against cover 2 was not hero ball. He was wide open in the end zone.

Unfortunately Dawkins got walked into Allen's lap and he didn't get the throw off the way he wanted.

But the game wasn't lost on that final series or on the missed FG. It was lost on multiple consecutive awful defensive drives, awful WR play from top to bottom (excluding Shakir), and an awful fake punt call. It is the same bad coaching and personnel decisions that have kept us nowhere near the Super Bowl every year that McDermott and Beane have been in charge.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

We're going to lose S Hyde, S Poyer, Tre White may never be the same player, Milano may never be the same player, is Diggs washed? Can we get out of the Von Miller hell contract? We need a #2 WR.  All the money into D like Floyd, Groot, Epenesa, Oliver, Daquan Jones and not 1 sack. The calls by McDermott were inexcusable, I think he straight up panicked with that ridiculous fake punt, he has been outcoached by Andy Reid and Zac taylor every time they've played in the playoffs. 

The positives.... WR Khalil Shakir is our new Cole Beasley, TE Dalton Kincaid will be our travis Kelce sooner than later. The OL has become a STR

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

The Bills had no margin of error in this game with all the injuries they had on defense and a weak WR group.  They did OK till the 4th quarter, but then stopped on 3 drives was it.  Then too many drives at the end on 1st down, they'd run Cook for no gain, then Allen throws a bomb for incomplete so now 3rd and 10.   Again a game with little underneath passing, other than 2 or 3 screens to Diggs for a total of 6 yards.

If had been like 4th and 3 at the end, maybe would have gone for it on 4th down, but with 4th and 9, kicking was the right choice.  After the last 1st down Cook for 1 yard, then two long incompletions, which on one play Diggs was wide open short.  Add in the drops, no margin of error

If the kick had been made with as much time as was left, barring a miracle likely KC would have got down the field and scored.

Just now, BeastMaster said:

It is set in stone that this team will never get over the hump

There's literally no hope.

A coaching change is the only thing that might change that

A coaching change is the only thing we can hope for, as we have already been gifted one of the best QBs to ever play in the NFL.  We have also saw how that has ended for this coach every single year.  Its not the QB folks, it's the ***** Coach

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

McDermott is good.

Nah he was brutally bad in this game. Same as in all of our playoff losses. Starting Klein over Williams was a mistake. As soon as Williams came in we suddenly got a couple stops on defense. There were no defensive adjustments as KC casually moved the ball at will against us. The fake punt was dumb as hell, both situationally and the play call itself. As usual our head coach froze in big moments in a playoff game and we all suffer for it. Why should I expect that to suddenly change?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Nah he was brutally bad in this game. Same as in all of our playoff losses. Starting Klein over Williams was a mistake. As soon as Williams came in we suddenly got a couple stops on defense. There were no defensive adjustments as KC casually moved the ball at will against us. The fake punt was dumb as hell, both situationally and the play call itself. As usual our head coach froze in big moments in a playoff game and we all suffer for it. Why should I expect that to suddenly change?

The fake punt call is the one that would make me question his safety, I just, I don't ***** no the thought process there, you have a raging unicorn who you can rely on and instead you rely completely on the element of surprise, when it was a very go for it situation.

I dont really see it as McD was out-coached.  This is our team.  We are not good enough to win it all.  Not this year.  McD didnt drop the ball or miss the FG or grease Diggs hands or injure 7 players on defense.  Suck it up. 

• Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Why they didn’t have Dorian Williams on defense over AJ Klein when Kelce was lighting him up is beyond me. 

Because McDermott freezes up and coaches scared in big moments. Klein was awful, as I expected. But he's the "safe" choice so McDermott couldn't help himself. And then as soon as Dorian Williams comes in for him we stop the Chiefs on two consecutive drives.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It made little sense for him to start Klein over Williams. I know he will be back next year but I am done with McD. He’s worse than McCarthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kidding, I remember debating with posters prior about McD @FireChans was dunking on that wild card win and dismissing Tomlin. @FireChans where you at bud? Did you get your 4 time AFC east champs tat on your lower back? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The fake punt call is the one that would make me question his safety, I just, I don't ***** no the thought process there, you have a raging unicorn who you can rely on and instead you rely completely on the element of surprise, when it was a very go for it situation.

Another case of our head coach's brain freezing up in a critical moment in a playoff game. It now takes two hands to count such moments.

I have zero optimism about this franchise under McDermott. Really good guy, albeit wound very tight, but just not a championship coach.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I dont really see it as McD was out-coached.  This is our team.  We are not good enough to win it all.  Not this year.  McD didnt drop the ball or miss the FG or grease Diggs hands or injure 7 players on defense.  Suck it up. 

Every year it’s someone else’s fault but never McD’s. The team is unprepared time after time in big moments and that’s on the coach. McD freezes up in the big moments but let’s keep making excuses for him. No doubt he will be back again next year but we the fans will be disappointed once again. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now wait a minute 

You said if the Bills lost this game you would be on the fire McDermott band wagon. 

Are you going to keep your word ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.