Bills sign WR K.J. Hamler to futures deal

Process

Competition at WR.  His measurables sound a lot like Andy Isabella.  If he makes the team, he won't get anything close to WR #2 reps.  I assume he'd be competing for a role as a returner, gadget play guy and occasional slot receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Chris Godwin would like a word.

Not bad... 2nd team All Pro and Pro Bowler in 2019.

Just now, UmbrellaMan said:

Jahan Dotson has real talent also. 

Yes, Dotson has the opportunity to develop into a great player for sure.

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Guy was a locker room cancer in Denver I’m pretty sure. 

Haven’t followed his pro career but that would surprise me.  He was the personality plus, high energy, great vibes at Penn State.  Super friendly, fun parents too.

Who knows though… I’m sure he was frustrated by his injuries and their Offense/QB situation when he was healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

This is 100% false.

He was a leader and a culture driver at Penn State and his last year in Denver his teammates voted him to receive the Ed Block Courage Award.

Spreading bullshlt rumors is weak sauce.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Unfortunately he hasn’t done much since being in the NFl. A lot of injuries. Hopefully there is a turnaround. 

He was in a pretty bad situation in Denver. Maybe playing with a top QB will help spark his career. Zero risk signing I like it.

• Like (+1) 2

For a small guy, looking at the collage highlights he looks like a long strider.  His speed is different than say a Tyreek who has very quick short strides.  Does that really translate to a slot guy..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, since79 said:

For a small guy, looking at the collage highlights he looks like a long strider.  His speed is different than say a Tyreek who has very quick short strides.  Does that really translate to a slot guy..

Just a guess but I think this could be an optical allusion because he has smaller legs, where Hill has tree trunks.  

Hamler has tons of potential. He grew frustrated in Denver with terrible QB play and being the 3rd or 4th guy in the pecking order. I think he has a shot to make the team and I think he signed with Buffalo because he knows theirs opportunities here and a top of the line QB is here 

6 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Hamler has tons of potential. He grew frustrated in Denver with terrible QB play and being the 3rd or 4th guy in the pecking order. I think he has a shot to make the team and I think he signed with Buffalo because he knows theirs opportunities here and a top of the line QB is here 

Agree. Him not sticking in Indy (where the WR depth is poor) is a bit of a reg flag but they don't have an established culture and a proven QB like we do. And he has to know this is his final shot. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Him not sticking in Indy (where the WR depth is poor) is a bit of a reg flag but they don't have an established culture and a proven QB like we do. And he has to know this is his final shot. 

Once again, he battled injuries this year.  IF he can stay healthy, he could push to make the team as a WR6 or a prime PS guy.

In have an idea, why doesn’t Beane actually invest our draft capital in talented WRs instead of castoffs from other teams? 

During his tenure, Beane was never drafted a WR higher than the 4th Rd (Davis).  Is it any wonder why we continually bring in guys like Sherfield, Harty, and now this mini WR.  This is not what the Bills need.

The Bills need two good receivers, one to replace Davis and one to eventually replace Diggs.  We need someone with size and speed.  Someone like Adonai Mitchell for example. These guys are found high in the draft, not from the Walmart clearance bin.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

In have an idea, why does Beane actually invest our draft capital in talented WRs instead of castoffs from other teams? 

During his tenure, Beane was never drafted a WR higher than the 4th Rd (Davis).  Is it any wonder why we continually bring in guys like Sherfield, Harry, and now this mini WR.  This is not what the Bills need.

The Bills need two good receivers, one to replace Davis and one to eventually replace Diggs.  We need someone with size and speed.  Someone like Adonai Mitchell for example. These guys are found high in the draft, not from the Walmart clearance bin.

Signing this guy to a futures deal will not affect his decision on a WR in THIS YEAR'S draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I LOVED KJ Hamler coming out. Thought he was a great target for speed for the Billls. Couldn’t stay healthy in Denver and was ultimately not dependable as a 3/4 WR.

Like the signing. Wish he was playing this week.

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

In have an idea, why doesn’t Beane actually invest our draft capital in talented WRs instead of castoffs from other teams? 

During his tenure, Beane was never drafted a WR higher than the 4th Rd (Davis).  Is it any wonder why we continually bring in guys like Sherfield, Harry, and now this mini WR.  This is not what the Bills need.

If the draft was last week, you’d have a really good point

Unfortunately, the draft is in April. 

19 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Even if true, that shouldn't be a concern in Buffalo.  Good locker rooms self-correct bad behavior.

19 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

You are literally just pulling things out of thin air. 

He was actually the one who backed Russ up when everyone was sh**ing on him last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

Crazy that the season isn’t even over yet and we have already started hyping up WR trash that will amount to nothing. Brandon Reilly, Andy Isabella, Duke Williams, another name joins the list every year. Hamler was good in college but it is very unlikely that he amounts to anything for the Bills.

Edited by MWK
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

According to Wikipedia, "On July 31, 2023, Hamler announced he was diagnosed with pericarditis. Hamler was then waived by the Denver Broncos with a non-football illness designation".   It doesn't explain why Indy didn't sign him after the season, but I imagine most teams are very skittish about his injury history and the heart inflammation issue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MWK said:

Crazy that the season isn’t even over yet and we have already started hyping up WR trash that will amount to nothing. Brandon Reilly, Andy Isabella, Duke Williams, another name joins the list every year.

You don’t understand what a futures contract is.

Just in the last 2 years the following Bills were signed to such contracts:

OL Alec Anderson

DT Eli Ankou

DE Kingsley Jonathan 

OL Ryan Van Demark

TE Quinton Morris

The idea is to fill out the bottom of the roster with developmental players.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You don’t understand what a futures contract is.

Just in the last 2 years the following Bills were signed to such contracts:

OL Alec Anderson

DT Eli Ankou

DE Kingsley Jonathan 

OL Ryan Van Demark

TE Quinton Morris

The idea is to fill out the bottom of the roster with developmental players.

I’m well aware of what a futures contract is. Players on them rarely amount to anything.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Signing this guy to a futures deal will not affect his decision on a WR in THIS YEAR'S draft.

That would be incorrect.  All GMs look at their commitments and roster before they look at their draft needs.  Having this guy in the organization will change how Beane looks at his WR depth and will change his draft strategy, especially as he has to pinch pennies as he is 40 million over the cap.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

That would be incorrect.  All GMs look at their commitments and roster before they look at their draft needs.  Having this guy in the organization will change how Beane looks at his WR depth and will change his draft strategy, especially as he has to pinch pennies as he is 40 million over the cap.

Just like signing Quinton Morris to a futures contract prevented us from drafting Dalton Kincaid… got it.

Edited by Sierra Foothills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Or it's a sign that he recognizes the issue and has already just begun to do whatever it takes to address it.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

That would be incorrect.  All GMs look at their commitments and roster before they look at their draft needs.  Having this guy in the organization will change how Beane looks at his WR and will change his draft strategy, especially as he has to pinch pennies as he is 40 million over the cap.

That is your opinion, and you can believe it if you want.  I couldn't disagree more when it comes to Beane finding a WR2.

He doesn't have big money for an UFA WR (like you stated), so I see him drafting one in the 1st 2 rounds.

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

if you were well aware of what a futures contract is you wouldn’t be complaining about the signing. 

Not complaining about the signing. Complaining about the people who are hyping him up based on liking him out of college just like they did with Andy Isabella. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.