Fake Slide should be 15 yard penalty

Zerovoltz

15 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

Maybe you can tell me why Patrick Mahomes walks around like he has a pickle up his ass?

I know it's kinda a crazy question, but you sound kinda crazy.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, peterpan said:

He definitely thought about sliding.  But allen has never enjoyed the slide.

the reason this worked is bc Steelers #20 kept face guarding the receiver even tho allen was about 20 yards past the LOS.  Then -#20 spun around so he could be easily blocked haha.

watch that play again, wtf is Steelers #20 doing!?!? You’d think he was on offense blocking!

never thought about sliding there

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Idk, the way he leaned back a little, kinda looked like the beginning of a slide, intentionally or not.  

Regardless it is absolutely true that defenders are scared to hit or tackle anyone.  If they hit someone on the sideline it’s a penalty, even if they are in bounds.  Later in this game, Allen got a call for being hit on his slide.  He slide late and the defender pulled off as best he could in that situation, and it’s still a penalty.

Basically the defender is left to assume there’s a slide coming or assume the qb will just run out of bounds. If they react with a tackle, it’s called a penalty almost every time.   Mahomes does the fake “I’m headed out of bounds” all the time and draws flags when he is still in bounds all the time.

Rudolph had a late slide with our LB already engaged and our guy managed to pull up and dive over him. It's possible.

I agree that defenders are put in tough positions, and they arent always going to get it right. But it isnt impossible either. As a matter of fact, I'd say defenders are able to pull up (enough) more often than they can't.

I'd argue that on the Josh penalty, the defender did not pull up as best he could. It was a late dive into an already sliding QB, and not the same type of approach they would take if they were actually trying to tackle a runner.

I didn't even hear the term "fake slide" until today.

It's incomprehensible to me, at least for that play.  There was no intent to slide, and no motion to slide.  He made a football move and completed the run to the EZ.

Pretty preposterous thread - but I've heard the sentiment elsewhere, too.  Just gonna file it under "complaining for the sake of complaining."

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Idk, the way he leaned back a little, kinda looked like the beginning of a slide, intentionally or not.  

Regardless it is absolutely true that defenders are scared to hit or tackle anyone.  If they hit someone on the sideline it’s a penalty, even if they are in bounds.  Later in this game, Allen got a call for being hit on his slide.  He slide late and the defender pulled off as best he could in that situation, and it’s still a penalty.

Basically the defender is left to assume there’s a slide coming or assume the qb will just run out of bounds. If they react with a tackle, it’s called a penalty almost every time.   Mahomes does the fake “I’m headed out of bounds” all the time and draws flags when he is still in bounds all the time.

What do you think happens when you suddenly decelerate to change directions as suddenly as you can, I mean what the hell are we trying to say that QBs aren't allowed to make any moves as a runner because defenders 5+ yards away make a stupid decision and give up on the play. That's on them Josh never came close to the ground, and he barely slowed down for an instant during the move.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, peterpan said:

That defender (Kazee), in particular, is sensitive to the hitting because he was just coming back from a 3 (or 4?) game suspension for repeated unnecessary roughness violations.

Yes because a studde

16 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

A stutter step is a "fake slide"?  Please.  Clearly you know the intent Josh had there because you are Josh himself. LMAO  He was juking the defender, maybe he should have just jumped over him but that would give you nothing to cry about.  Ref's can't even get calls right when reviewing replay and now you want them to get "inside" the players head and throw a flag for a supposed "fake slide".  Please.

Edited by Nuncha

This is not a fake slide.  This is a stutter step.  All you have shown is why they can't make it a rule.  Dumb people like you referee games and don't know wtf they are seeing.  Zero is trying to save face now but as many fake slides and fake going out of bounds that Mahomes has, even if it was a fake slide (it wasn't), he sure picked an odd time to complain about it.  A time where Josh Allen has a huge run, our fan base is pumped, the Bills win a big playoff game, and KC has to finally travel here.  GTFOH Zeroloser.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

That defender (Kazee), in particular, is sensitive to the hitting because he was just coming back from a 3 (or 4?) game suspension for repeated unnecessary roughness violations.

Sounds like that is the defender's problem. Maybe he isnt cut out for the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

This is not a fake slide.  This is a stutter step.  All you have shown is why they can't make it a rule.  Dumb people like you referee games and don't know wtf they are seeing.  Zero is trying to save face now but as many fake slides and fake going out of bounds that Mahomes has, even if it was a fake slide (it wasn't), he sure picked an odd time to complain about it.  A time where Josh Allen has a huge run, our fan base is pumped, the Bills win a big playoff game, and KC has to finally travel here.  GTFOH Zeroloser.

this right here is the definitive view

100% never even considered sliding

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Great find.  Yes, it's very clear from that he is making a little stutter step before changing direction.  If he kept going as he was, he would be tackled by Kazee and someone else - Killebrew?  who appears to be blocked out by Andy Isabella who also sidesteps to give Allen room to avoid Kazee's diving tackle.  The stutter and COD help Kazee miss and let Isabella (I think), Kincaid, and Knox set up their blocks.

As I've said upthread, Josh has been known to 'fake slide' but it looks completely different.  It's sort of a knee bend on one leg and drops his hips then keeps running.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeah guys Josh should have waited till the defender was tackling him to decide to change course and hit a different hole....... Clown

I don't know what happened to Mahomes and the Chiefs as a whole, the but the sense of entitlement and whining they all do this year especially is pathetic. You use to be a respected team and fan base but dear God, grow up.  

The nearest defender was 7 yards away.....

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

That may be true, but it isn't relevant here.  Kazee is 9 yards+ away from Josh with an imminent need to make an open field tackle on a guy who is 6" taller than he is, outweighs him by 60-70 lbs, and has a known tendency of posterizing defenders with his stiffarm.  He has 3 teammates in the area and they all have Bills in position to block them out of the play (which actually happens), so he knows it may be on him. 

He has to decide what Josh is gonna do - straight at him, L or R, then pick an appropriate angle.  That's why he hesitates, waiting  for Josh to indicate.

The possibility that Josh might slide and he might hit him for a PF is nowhere on his mental radar screen at that moment, I promise.

Watching the game back today, after not even realizing there was any controversy live. And even on repeat, at full speed, there was nothing there that looked like a fake slide. It happened so quick, the defensive player couldn't have assumed it was. It looked like a step to change direction and that's because that's what it was.

42 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I didn’t necessarily see that as a fake slide more a hesitation and change of direction to avoid the defender.

You are correct.  Allen shows the field vision and open field runner's instinct, along with trust in his teammates, to change direction AWAY from the green grass and TOWARDS two defenders, believing (correctly) that his two guys who are there will have his back and get in their way/block them out of the play.

Which they do.

Allen's hesitation also gives Isabella and Kincaid time to set up their blocks, and Knox time to win his footrace and get in the way of the 3rd guy.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, thebug said:

Maybe you can tell me why Patrick Mahomes walks around like he has a pickle up his ass?

I know it's kinda a crazy question, but you sound kinda crazy.

I want to know the meaning of the finger-waggling he does.  Sometimes it's 4 fingers waggling, sometimes 2 or 3.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was awesome from Josh and we ain’t apologizing. But there would be a full on melt down if Mahomes did this to us haha!

it is BS because the nfl has defenders afraid to breathe on qbs now. So we’re not giving the points back but I bet this does get addressed in the offseason. 

The meltdown from us would come from being mad that our defense was soft, they couldn't tackle Mahomes and let him walk into the endzone.  It's not a fake slide, that just another Yinzer excuse for getting blown out of our building yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How effective is a fake slide when you never actually slide?  Wouldn't Allen have to put a slide on tape in 2023-2024 for this to be effective? His slide to jump over a guy or runover a guy ratio is decidedly slanted toward run over a guy.

I just want to say, one more time, that @Zerovoltz clearly doesn’t know wtf he is talking about. When Allen CHANGED DIRECTION (fake slide) there wasn’t a Steelers player within 7 yards and no Steeler player at that point was even a threat to make a tackle.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

this angle puts to rest any thought of it being a fake slide. Clearly a stutter step allowing his blockers to make a block.. then he turns on the jets!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This idiotic thread should result in a 15 day ban.

Oh, I dunno

What's the name of that kid's toy where you punch it and it goes over and then comes back at you so you can punch it again?

It was kind of entertaining, as I remember it.

17 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

No one anywhere in the world thought this was a "fake slide" but you. It was clearly a stutter step and change of direction. Just because the Steelers were lazy  and didn't finish the play doesn't mean that Allen did something wrong. It's pretty laughable to accuse allen of a "fake slide" when he almost never even slides at all. His preference is to run through guys.

27 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That may be true, but it isn't relevant here.  Kazee is 9 yards+ away from Josh with an imminent need to make an open field tackle on a guy who is 6" taller than he is, outweighs him by 60-70 lbs, and has a known tendency of posterizing defenders with his stiffarm.  He has 3 teammates in the area and they all have Bills in position to block them out of the play (which actually happens), so he knows it may be on him. 

He has to decide what Josh is gonna do - straight at him, L or R, then pick an appropriate angle.  That's why he hesitates, waiting  for Josh to indicate.

The possibility that Josh might slide and he might hit him for a PF is nowhere on his mental radar screen at that moment, I promise.

Don't see how you can say that. The steelers had to win and get in for all the games he was suspended and all he could do was watch. Usually, a smaller defender will go low on a big guy. But if you do that and he ducks at the last moment? I think that's why he tried to bear hug him instead of bringing the lumber.

He's a similar player to Rapp, with less ability to aim. So if the tables were turned and Rapp was trying to tackle Mahomes like that, what would you think?

And really, I'm not trying to defend Kazee or whatever. I'm just merely trying to provide a little depth from living around Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Running over a safety is a funny way of fake sliding.

Especially the one who said "we can get in Allen's head" earlier in the week. He got the Jalen Ramsey treatment.

Please Willie Gay...please say something about Josh Allen.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Thanks for posting this, the angle clearly shows the stutter.  With the normal angle I felt he was turning his hips a bit to possibly fake a slide.

But I don't have a problem with faking a slide.  I've not seen a slide where the QB slows down to pivot or catch his balance then slides.  A real slide is always from a running stride to maximize yards.  Therefore it's up to the professional defenders to figure it out and they will.  I hope certain fans will stop babying our sports.

• Like (+1) 1

When I saw the play, I thought this.

The Unicorn rolled for the First Down and then… he slowed…

It seemed like the Steelers paused for a 1/2 second, 17 saw that and accelerated! Now, that is something QBs have done before… Kermit has, but normally by grabbing a couple more yards down the sideline, before stepping out.

NOT, ever grabbing another 40 down the middle for a TD!

Never seen that!

VERY sharp. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I want to know the meaning of the finger-waggling he does.  Sometimes it's 4 fingers waggling, sometimes 2 or 3.

I'm pretty sure thats just Mahomes wanting the play quicker.  He often complains that the play comes in too slow.  That finger wingle to me is just him telling his coodinator that he wants the play now hurry up and give it.

I don't think that Josh Allen in any way shape or form deliberately faked a slide.  At that point, I think things are happening too quickly to think about something like that.  I do think it's possible Josh thought about sliding and then changed his mind,  There's really know way to tell unless Josh volunteers and says what was going through his mind when he hesitated on that run.  The league cannot penalize players for thinking.

So, Zero, are you acting out your resentment that your Chiefs aren't getting to play a home game against Houston Next weekend?

Edited by BigAl2526

It's so ***** obnoxious how much sports media has picked up this narrative from these sore loser fans and some hating fan bases like the Chiefs and Dolphins.

Because when a sane person actually ***** looks it's not hard to see.