What is a "Yinzer" anyway?

A yinzer is an arrogant blowhard that waves yellow towels, filled with BS, and pining for the 1970s. . .a fan of a team that gets bailed out on high end talent and nothing more. . .a person who thinks they, their city, their team, and their region of Pennsylvania matters.

And this is from someone whose parents live in New Castle, PA. . .about thirty miles away from Pittsburgh.

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

A yinzer is what they use to remove a catheter.

Thanks for posting this, it really had me grinning ear to ear !  I grew up 1 hour from Pittsburgh , across the border in Ohio. WDVE was the rock station i listened too all the time and played classic rock. They sponsored all the fantastic concerts i went to at Three rivers and the Civic auditorium. Rock was in its prime in the mid/late 70’s and i saw frampton, Springsteen , Fleetwood Mac, zztop, Black Sabbath, Bachman turner overdrive, yes, skynerd, nugent, blue oyster cult. , the eagles,  Aerosmith, among others and WDVE was usually the sponsor. In fact i have a sweatshirt with that WDVE logo hanging in my closet ; just never get a chance to wear sweatshirts here in Florida tho! 

The best lineup i remember was  a show with Frampton as the main act , with Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles warming up for him during his COMES ALIVE tour with that famous album .  I drove up there from Ohio with my best  friend and a car load of some of the hottest chicks in my class ( funny , they were all good friends of mine who interestingly all became nurses, but they were out of my league at that time from a dating perspective because they preferred  older college guys!). I had a big 4 door Chrysler at the time, and i worked for a coal mine and on a surveying crew with my dad in the summers so i had enough money for gas to be able to get us all to Pittsburgh and back.  The girls were dying to see the eagles with Glenn Frey and frampton of course , but i was fortunate to see STEVIE NICKS who was in her prime in ‘76 !  It was an unforgettable time and maybe the best era of rock, with great stadium filled concerts. .  It was a time with lots of partying and there was a fair amount of recreational drug use, and the hottest girl who rode with me was partying a little too much ( hey, she wasn’t driving so she felt free to enjoy herself ) and she happened to get a little sick while the Eagles were playing.  I remember being impressed because we had managed to get close to the stage on the field at three rivers , and rather than lose our place trying to get to a bathroom,, she managed to throw up completely in two red plastic solo cups without spilling a drop! How does someone have that type of accuracy throwing up while s##t faced ??  She got her  second wind and never missed a beat of the concert!  Pretty impressive stuff! . I remember that day like it was yesterday, over 40 years later , amazing concert highlighted by her discretely barfing into those two cups and then she kept on rockin!  DO YOU, YOU , FEEL LIKE WE DO!?  LOL. 

Yinz all would have loved being there enjoying the classic rock and the sexy chicks all dressed in 70’s style bell bottoms and halter tops !   Thank you WDVE for all the memories and great concerts during the best years of rock!  

It’s hard to believe, but the best show WDVE sponsored that i saw in the civic auditorium/arena , was in late 75 /early ‘76 , and was KISS , who had just hitting it big  with their kiss alive double album. That , while not so good musically , was by far the best live show i can remember and just really a one of a kind experience.  It was in the winter, and i rode up with my best friend and when we came out of the show a blizzard had hit. Pittsburgh has some crazy roads / bridges , and it was snowing so badly that visibility was terrible. We took one wrong turn and drove over an hour in the wrong direction before realizing it and we never made it home until early morning the day after the show.    We had managed to get lost in the hills around Pittsburgh and ended up stopping at a local dive bar to get directions. It was a little scary going in ( we had big platform shoes on / long trench coats and KISS shirts on, long hair , and we went into this bar filled with what looked to be mostly steel workers!) but after we ordered a couple of shots things were cool and we waited till the blizzard calmed before heading back in the right direction to eastern  Ohio. 

Just an unforgettable time ,as  it was an amazing time for huge stadium  rock concerts  and if any of YINZ are old enough to have been in high school or college back then, you know what I mean !  

Anyhow , it’s winter now with snow approaching up there and seeing the WDVE logo reminded me of a time when i would go home from college for Christmas , and i was usually lucky enough to attend some concerts who were promoted  by WDVE. I was a BILLS fan even then , with most of my friends being diehard Steelers fans in the days of the steel curtain and Bradshaw.  Even my mom is a Steelers fan , so this is a game with a lot of memories associated with them playing each other that goes  back a long way for me! The weather is going to keep the Steelers in this game, and it’s going to be low scoring as Vegas has it as their lowest o/u of the wildcard weekend.   Josh needs to listen to Kurt warner , take what the designed play offers , and without turnovers we should beat  the YINZERS, and keep the dream alive. Go BILLS, and once again thanks for stoking my memories regarding WDVE! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Welcome to all lurking Yinzers this week.  

I'm curious, Bills fans, what is a Yinzer? (Wrong answers only). Please keep it clean. Let's have some fun at our visitors expense!

th?id=OIP.owN0QsI6hg2vbdi587R_iQHaHY&pid

"Yinzer the Traveler, he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.  During the rectification of the Valdranai, the Traveler came as a large and moving Torg.  Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKentrix Supplicants, they chose a new form for him:  that of a Giant Slor.  Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!"

That is my guess.  Is this correct?

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A YInzer is the part in Fiat engines that continuously fails and leaves you stranded in the mountainous areas of Pensilvania while on the way to a Stillers game…, 

I recommend “ Urban dictionary “ for further enlightenment…, and a good laugh, 

Fix IAgain, Tony. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, notwoz said:

Basically, it's someone from Pittsburgh:

"Yinzer is a term used to describe people who identify themselves with the city of Pittsburgh and its traditions. The word is derived from the Pittsburghese second-person plural vernacular “yinz”. 

Historically, it was used to identify the typical blue-collar people from the Pittsburgh region who often spoke with a heavy Pittsburghese accent 1. Over time, the term has been used by many Pittsburgh residents to self-identify, even if they don’t speak with a thick accent.

The concept and use of the word gained popularity in the 21st century as the area’s population loss slowed, and the city became a hub for revitalization 1. As the city gained note as a desirable place to live, more outsiders have moved or returned to the Pittsburgh metropolitan area.

The term has taken on a connotation to identify someone who, for better or worse, is either a lifelong Pittsburgher, or says a phrase or commits an act that could be identified as something a stereotypical Pittsburgher might do."

This post deserves 5 penalty points from the mods and a compensatory pick from the NFL.  

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, astrongman said:

A yinzer is an arrogant blowhard that waves yellow towels, filled with BS, and pining for the 1970s. . .a fan of a team that gets bailed out on high end talent and nothing more. . .a person who thinks they, their city, their team, and their region of Pennsylvania matters.

And this is from someone whose parents live in New Castle, PA. . .about thirty miles away from Pittsburgh.

hey, the region of PGH does matter, a yinzer is not representative of the region as a whole.  It's a subset of people.  

A yinzer is a Steelers fan, ignorant of anything else going on in the NFL.  For example, believes that Rudolph is a better QB than Allen because Allen throws more INTs, and that the Steelers have a right to win the SB every year, regardless of the talent actually on their team.  They wear Steelers stuff all year round, generally dressed head to toe in it.  At a Penguins game, dude next to you is in a Steelers jersey and likely only knows who Crosby, Malkin and Letang are ("hey, who is this Karlsson dude on D, he looks good").  They literally live and die for the Steelers.  Oh, they are also fair-weather fans.  Like when the Steelers went on a mini losing streak this year, tickets were dirt cheap and empty seats.  If the Steelers had a playoff drought like the Bills, the stadium would look like PNC park with only non-yinzers present, and there are very few of those.  

In sum: a yinzer is an insufferable Steelers fan.  Not all Steelers fans are yinzers, but all yinzers are, at their core, just low-class (not income based, btw, plenty of well-off yinzers) Steelers fans.  

Edited by RyanC883

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm curious, Bills fans, what is a Yinzer? (Wrong answers only). Please keep it clean. Let's have some fun at our visitors expense!

This is a family PG max board….Y’all should not be discussing Yinzers…

• Haha (+1) 1

I know what an Uppear is. I see them along the creek banks salmon fishing. They all say they are uppear from Pennsylvania and are usually drinking beer or whiskey.

Edited by bmur66

On 1/11/2024 at 6:15 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

The opposite of a youtzer.

I win 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.