Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

1 hour ago, stlbills13 said:

Trying to make the drive (or flight) in from St Louis. How are things looking out there? Consider me an amateur but at least somewhat capable for driving in bad conditions 

Do you have snow tires?  Have you driven in snow? 

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Do you have snow tires?  Have you driven in snow? 

No snow tires. Driven in 10 inches of unplowed snow. A typical 40 min drive took 2.5 hours. 

Would go halfway or so tonight and make the bad drive tomorrow when conditions are theoretically better. Can this be done? 

2 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Trying to make the drive (or flight) in from St Louis. How are things looking out there? Consider me an amateur but at least somewhat capable for driving in bad conditions 

Here's a link to a bunch of traffic cams around the area; use the drop downs to check out I-90 interchanges and Rte 219 cams. Also shows updates on road closures (lots of them).

Driving anywhere between Buffalo and Hamburg in the next several hours is asking for bad trouble, imo.

Springfield and south of there look fine; north of the Airport looks fine. Anything in between there ranges from messy ➡️  dangerous white-out conditions.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Here's a link to a bunch of traffic cams around the area; use the drop downs to check out I-90 interchanges and Rte 219 cams. Also shows updates on road closures (lots of them).

Driving anywhere between Buffalo and Hamburg in the next several hours is asking for bad trouble, imo.

Springfield and south of there look fine; north of the Airport looks fine. Anything in between there ranges from messy ➡️  dangerous white-out conditions.

Would probably stop somewhere am hour or two away from Orchard Park tonight and ideally miss the worst of the weather. Then head to the game around noon tomorrow. But I'm not familiar with how road crews and roads in the area. How clear could it be by then if the forecast holds true? 

30 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

No snow tires. Driven in 10 inches of unplowed snow. A typical 40 min drive took 2.5 hours. 

Would go halfway or so tonight and make the bad drive tomorrow when conditions are theoretically better. Can this be done? 

Get as close as you can tonight and then polish it off tomorrow.  Try to get to, say, Erie, PA or Fredonia, NY tonight if you can.  Then leave very early for the game tomorrow because traffic and parking are going to be a mess.  Parking in particular is going to be a problem. 

Just now, stlbills13 said:

Would probably stop somewhere am hour or two away from Orchard Park tonight and ideally miss the worst of the weather. Then head to the game around noon tomorrow. But I'm not familiar with how road crews and roads in the area. How clear could it be by then if the forecast holds true? 

Mains will be clear.  Parking will be extremely difficult because satellite lots will have difficulty opening.  And stadium lots will have less capacity because there will be big piles of plowed snow.  Bake in a lot of extra time for parking and walking to the stadium.  And get yourself some hot hands foot and hand warmers and the cold won't bother you a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Get as close as you can tonight and then polish it off tomorrow.  Try to get to, say, Erie, PA or Fredonia, NY tonight if you can.  Then leave very early for the game tomorrow because traffic and parking are going to be a mess.  Parking in particular is going to be a problem. 

Mains will be clear.  Parking will be extremely difficult because satellite lots will have difficulty opening.  And stadium lots will have less capacity because there will be big piles of plowed snow.  Bake in a lot of extra time for parking and walking to the stadium.  And get yourself some hot hands foot and hand warmers and the cold won't bother you a bit. 

Dont they take the snow out of the stadium lots via dump trucks?

2 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Literally among the best road crews in the world up there.

If you're coming from the south, that plan is very doable. Maybe try to get up as far as a Springfield/Silver Creek line? Should be lightening up by early morning and making a very manageable drive in.

8 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

stick to the main roads and you should be golden.

3 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Get to the Akron / Cleveland area. Then get up and complete the drive in the morning. The main roads should be well cleared by then. Be safe. 

• Agree 1

I live in Cheektowaga and see a hint of blue in the clouds to the north. Meanhile, to the south (stadium) it is dark and gray.

My brother, a plow driver for the Erie County Highway Dept. worked a 9-PM -9 AM shift.They have them and on a 12 on-12 off schedule.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stlbills13 said:

In good weather Buffalo to Saint Louis can be done in a day. I’ve done it a dozen or more times. 

That said given the weather is do it in two but I’d go much further than half way. I’d try and make it at least to Cleveland, weather permitting.

Tomorrow has the chance of not being great either, especially without having a hundreds of snow miles under your belt.  You’ll want to be fresh rather than half tired and numb. 

4 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Dude...I went to school in the Lou for 4 years. When I say you have no idea what you will be experiencing, that's the God's honest truth. Don't do it.

Basically take the worst winter Storm you've ever seen and multiply it by 3.

Edited by Big Turk

15 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Does anyone have a live shot of orchard park? The game would be starting right about now. I'm just curious 

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/text/twytextcameras.cgi?region=BUI90W

5 minutes ago, jayg said:

Click on the video feed for Hamburg or Blasdell.

Edited by jayg

32 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Does anyone have a live shot of orchard park? The game would be starting right about now. I'm just curious 

I'm three miles from the stadium and I currently can't see the homes across the street

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Any update on this? 

Wonder if they're waiting for the actual game to be played before flipping the switch on it. Honestly wonder if they might cancel/not cancel the bets depending on which outcome of the game would allow them to rake in the most profit.

Just now, Einstein said:

Is the field tarped? Can't quite tell what i'm seeing on the field in various spots.

Yes it gets tarped up to prevent damage occasionally 

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I mean nothing you can do, but to build another outdoor stadium in the target lake effect zone, lol.  That deserves some eyerolls

You know the games have only been taking place there for 52 years....

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not expert on these things but what are the odds on them moving it to Detroit since the Lions will have already played? I know weather can change quickly but I can't imagine how everything that needs to come together by tomorrow will have happened and they'll be ready to play

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm not expert on these things but what are the odds on them moving it to Detroit since the Lions will have already played? I know weather can change quickly but I can't imagine how everything that needs to come together by tomorrow will have happened and they'll be ready to play

They are going to play the game tomorrow at Highmark Stadium at 4:30 PM.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.